PDA

View Full Version : Stops in Ga

Chaco Taco
01-30-2008, 15:34
Im looking at my first couple of weeks out and am wondering if stopping in Ga is even worth it. Should I just do resupplies in Neel's and Hiawassee and stay on trail and get to Franklin before staying somewhere? Trying to budget as good as I can. I do realize weather, injuries will change this but want to know, being a lower budget thruhiker, if I should shower in towns and head back out then get to Franklin, NC for my first "Stop".:-?

Footslogger
01-30-2008, 15:37
Im looking at my first couple of weeks out and am wondering if stopping in Ga is even worth it. Should I just do resupplies in Neel's and Hiawassee and stay on trail and get to Franklin before staying somewhere? Trying to budget as good as I can. I do realize weather, injuries will change this but want to know, being a lower budget thruhiker, if I should shower in towns and head back out then get to Franklin, NC for my first "Stop".:-?
=========================

All depends on how much food weight you're willing to carry. I like to keep my food bag at about 8 - 10lbs. That carries me 4 - 5 days. I need a stop in GA.

'Slogger

Lone Wolf
01-30-2008, 15:37
that's what most do

Chaco Taco
01-30-2008, 15:41
Yea, I usually go 4-6 days of food and am fine. Im going to re-up on food and clean up in Neel's Gap and Hiawassee. I just want to budget my hostel/hotel stays. So should I just get a room in Hiawassee? I figure 6-7 days to get to that point depending on how long I spend in Neel's Gap.

Pedaling Fool
01-30-2008, 15:41
I'm also low budget and don't mind carrying the weight, my first stop is always in Franklin.

Chaco Taco
01-30-2008, 15:46
I'm also low budget and don't mind carrying the weight, my first stop is always in Franklin.

I was thinking that if all is well, I could push on to Franklin and be fine. Like i said, i want to really budget how much time I spend off trail.

Lone Wolf
01-30-2008, 15:47
Yea, I usually go 4-6 days of food and am fine. Im going to re-up on food and clean up in Neel's Gap and Hiawassee. I just want to budget my hostel/hotel stays. So should I just get a room in Hiawassee? I figure 6-7 days to get to that point depending on how long I spend in Neel's Gap.

stay at one of the hostels. the motels are pricey

Chaco Taco
01-30-2008, 15:51
stay at one of the hostels. the motels are pricey

Yea, i see that. Is Cloud 9 open or sold? I know in AP its says it was for sale as of December 07.

Lone Wolf
01-30-2008, 15:53
Cloud 9 is open

Two Speed
01-30-2008, 16:02
Cloud 9 is good, but I still like the Blueberry Patch. The Poteats serve a great breakfast.

No drinking, smoking or swearing at the Blueberry Patch. Didn't hurt my feelings but some folks rate that as more important than I do, although keeping my language clean is always a challenge. :cool:

Chaco Taco
01-30-2008, 16:04
Cloud 9 is open

Sweet:D

Blissful
01-30-2008, 16:07
Neels and Hiawasee are good stops. We also stayed at Cloud Nine, Laura is great. The smoked trout is very tasty.

take-a-knee
01-30-2008, 18:12
You don't have to stay at Neel's Gap to shower there. I think they charge $3.50 for shower and towel only. They also will hold a food drop.

River Runner
01-31-2008, 00:20
The Hiker Hostel (they offer shuttles daily at Woody's Gap) was very nice - great atmosphere, clean, friendly and accomodating. In 2006, $15 included breakfast. They also shuttled us into Dahlonega for dinner and a stop at Wal-Mart. Of course, it isn't very far up the trail if you are trying to budget...

Smile
01-31-2008, 00:26
Yup, Cloud 9 trout can't be beat. A nice rare treat, offered by good folks. :)
(Gets my vote for favorite dip and entree at SoRuck!)

mweinstone
01-31-2008, 00:26
for the record. i will remind you all that i have asked that my remains be buryed under the porch at hiker hostel and a plaque to read, here lies matthewski, our only unsatisfied customer. its a joke cause i got bacon withdraw and was grumpy the night of the oscars in 06 when i stayed there. its a good place with realy good food and nice folks.

Chaco Taco
01-31-2008, 00:56
O k so I guess now the "plan" is to resupply at Neel's Gap and shower etc. and head to Hiawassee to stay at Cloud 9.
Thanks everyone