PDA

View Full Version : Looking at tents, MSR FLING or REI Camp dome 2 ?

hnryclay
01-30-2008, 21:35
Hello all,
I am looking to purchase a tent, general 3 season use, mostly in SWVA, or similar environs. The two models I have narrowed down too are the MSR Fling, and the REI camp dome 2. I know that REI has came out with a new tent, however it does not seem worth the extra $$ for the 1 pound difference in weight then the Camp Dome 2. My main concern with the Fling is condensation, I don't want my sleeping bag soaking wet every morning when I wake up!! Does anybody own either of these? They are similar in price point, if you have another tent under $250 that is a better deal please post, as I am not completely sold on either of these.

Thanks

Pedaling Fool
01-30-2008, 21:57
This tent http://www.rei.com/product/761893 is about the same price as the MSR Fling, but it's better, IMO, because it's all screen this is much nicer in the summer and it has a big vestibule when the rain-fly is used. The other tent you're looking at also looks hot in the summer/spring time and it's rain-fly does not provide a vestibule. But I would keep looking.

hnryclay
01-30-2008, 22:02
Sorry, the REI tent is the Half Dome 2 not the Camp Dome.

Pedaling Fool
01-30-2008, 22:10
Sorry, the REI tent is the Half Dome 2 not the Camp Dome.
That looks almost exactly like my Kelty Teton 2, I got back in 2005. Still have it, has many miles on it and it only cost $100.

Toolshed
01-30-2008, 22:27
$250 SD tent for $148....Check Here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32268&highlight=lightning)
:jump:jump:jump

Pedaling Fool
01-30-2008, 22:36
That company has some pretty good tents. Here's another one (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39276147&memberId=12500226)
It's about $100

Summit
01-30-2008, 22:38
$250 SD tent for $148....Check Here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32268&highlight=lightning)
:jump:jump:jumpYes, and more specifically here:

http://www.altrec.com/shop/detail/27887/

Apparently, they haven't sold out (YET)!

hnryclay
01-30-2008, 22:46
The biggest reason I am drawn to this tent: http://www.rei.com/product/728308

is that it has two doors, and two vestibules, whereas one could be used for gear whilst the other could be used for wet weather cooking, or the like. Is this a reasonable feature? Also the :http://www.altrec.com/shop/detail/27887/

seems like a great tent, however it also only has one door. I'm not sure if that is a reason not to go for that tent since it seems to get such great reviews. Also it is much lighter then the REI tent for less money!

Although most of my backpacking trips are solo, I wish to have a two person tent, so that I can store more of my gear inside, as well as having a little more room.

Summit
01-31-2008, 08:31
Although most of my backpacking trips are solo, I wish to have a two person tent, so that I can store more of my gear inside, as well as having a little more room.Same here! As the original poster of the SD Lightning awesome sale at Altrec, I studied every tent out there, looking at all the features.

If you will be solo hiking, I think two doors is not necessary. My current tent has two doors and I never use them both during the same pitch. I tended to try to alternate them so as to have even wear on the zippers. But mostly, the second door for us solo'ers is just more to have to fuss with.

I wanted a very light tent. You'll hardly find a two person tent much lighter than the Lightning (unless you go with near 100% mesh). I wanted ventilation, but less mesh for warmth. I could actually do with less mesh on the Lightning, but that's something I'll have to experience first to appreciate.

I wanted free-standing (a stake or two for the vestibule is OK) and the Lightning meets that qualification. I want the fastpack capability, primarily so that you can set up / take down the main tent portion in rain keeping it dry. You take the tent grommet out of each pole one at the time and reinsert the pole in the footprint, until you have released the tent from being held down by the poles. You can pack the tent away relatively dry (you stay dry too up to this point). Then you only have to step out into the rain and drop the fly and pack the poles, fly, and footprint in the rain, while the main tent stays relatively dry.

Anyway, which ever way you decide, I hope you are very pleased with your choice. I'm certainly not trying to be a Sierra Designs salesman! ;) :)

Roots
01-31-2008, 09:36
My husband and I have a REI half dome. Words can not express how much we love this tent. It has gotten us through some very bad rain storms, ice, snow, and wind storms. Never have had a leak while using it. The vestibules space is nice, the inside pockets are great, and the over head clip works great to put our headlamp on. The only, and I do mean only, thing wrong with the tent is the window on the vestibule has split with time. We just duct taped it and go.

In the past year we have decided to lighten up our load. We purchased the MSR hubba hubba. I have to say I love this tent too. It is more spacious than the REI, both in the tent and the vestibule. It is also a pound or so lighter. Honestly, we would have ordered a new REI half dome, but the MSR had great reviews and saved some weight. Plus we got it for $100 off-which put it at only $30 more than the REI.

Good luck to you on your search! Hope this helps!

Rain Man
01-31-2008, 11:03
My wife and I used an REI Half Dome Plus for several years, till our oldest daughter "inherited" it from us. We loved the tent. Compared to the new models, it is heavier. It certainly is roomy. Also, it can be set up with only the rainfly and footprint, a feature I like a lot in any tent. However, the tent did have a known leak problem, where the loops for the tie-out lines were sewn through the rainfly seams. It wasn't a bad problem, but I had it leak some there more than once and REI knew about the issue. In fact, the brand new models mention on REI's site how they don't have that problem.

Rain:sunMan

SmokyMtn Hiker
01-31-2008, 11:14
Check out the latest issue of Backpacker, there is a buyers guide from everthing from tents to cameras for 2008. May help you out on comparing different tents your looking to buy.

stranger
02-01-2008, 03:15
I have a MSR Fling and I think it's a great tent. It's one of the few single wall tents on the market by a major high end manufacturer that seems to address almost everything efficiently, key word is almost.

As far as ventilation goes, it has a large window at the head below the awning, a smaller foot vent and two long side vents that run the length of the tent, they also pull away from the tent so that any condensation that starts to run down the walls drips outside the tent rather than collect on your floor.

Mine weights all up with a groundsheet and stakes around 3.6lbs, that's without the center pole which actually pitches the tent poorly compared to when you guy out the frong and rear awnings. It's a bit heavy for one, for two it's fine in my view.

It's completely weatherproof, I've had this thing in some pretty hard rain and wind and it's keeps it all out. The only thing you need to think about is the front awning cannot sustain a near sideways rain coming straight at it, water will most likely miss the awning if it's at a heavy angle and could hit the no see um netting which has no storm flap. This tent should be pitched foot first into the storm/wind if possible.

Built like a truck, even the side pullouts are reinforced and they don't really need to be. The construction is brilliant compared to similar "internet company" designs which may be lighter.

A great all around tent, the best thought out single wall tent I've ever seen, I highly recommend it if you can handle the weight.