PDA

View Full Version : Fontana Village Lodging

Max Power
01-30-2008, 22:19
Fontana Village has dropped their rates until April 1. So for all those who make it before April fools you get a lodge room for $59 and a cabin for $99. Hope to see you all here.

cowpoke
01-30-2008, 23:17
Is that the Hiker's rate? I got a room at the Inn last Oct for $60. Made it to the kiosk at the road crossing before entering the woods for the trail up to the Hilton. I asked if they had a "hiker's rate" and they gave me a room for $60. My butt was dragging and it was an easy decision...they even came a picked me up. The hot shower was outstanding but the cold beer and burger was almost heaven.

BigCat
01-30-2008, 23:32
We managed to finagle a cabin last year due to a last minute cancellation -- and were sorely disappointed to find they don't have phones.

Appalachian Tater
01-30-2008, 23:43
Fontana Village has dropped their rates until April 1. So for all those who make it before April fools you get a lodge room for $59 and a cabin for $99. Hope to see you all here.

Which restaurants are open and how much are they charging? Is a pack of Lipton's noodles still almost $3.00 at the store?

Sleepy the Arab
01-31-2008, 01:12
I liked the village better when it was $28 and change per night.

There is a perfectly serviceable shelter by the dam. Save your money for farther north where there are towns with no cheap alternative.

Or you could cram 5 or 6 thru-hikers in a room. Yes, I guess that would work, I suppose...

Max Power
01-31-2008, 02:13
So many questions...
Sleepy the Arab - I liked it when I spent $15 to fill my car with gas, but things change. Previously they had some kind of rule like two hikers and $5-10 each additional in the cabin... that's all dropped. They probably realized that was a goofy rule.

Tater - Off hand, I don't know the price of Lipton's, the general store is closed for a while until the season picks up. I'm sure the price didn't go down. We are pretty pricey because of our location, but we still try to match NOC. As of today only the Bistro is opened for meals. It is pricey, but most people say it's worth it. Still pricey...

Snarf - Some rooms come with phones, others don't. Depends on what you pay for. There are phones available in the lobby and Adventure Center, not too mention pay phones around. As well as internet. For those who have come in the last couple years, we've finally got more then one computer.

Cowpoke - The hiker rate was probably more then that, unless it was the end of October, nut who knows. Glad you enjoyed the beer, a novelty (kind of) for a dry county.

We, the Village, are definetly trying to find the balance of helping the hikers and make money to keep us running.

Check out our article in Nov/Ded A.T. Journey magazine!

Appalachian Tater
01-31-2008, 13:46
Tater - Off hand, I don't know the price of Lipton's, the general store is closed for a while until the season picks up. I'm sure the price didn't go down. We are pretty pricey because of our location, but we still try to match NOC. As of today only the Bistro is opened for meals. It is pricey, but most people say it's worth it. Still pricey...

Do you have shuttles into town? It's a long way. How much are they?

The problem is, thru-hikers get there and they're stuck there as far as getting food for resupply and meals. Couple of years ago the only restaurant was a complete disaster, waited over an hour for breakfast, so many things not available (like fruit), the only food at other meals was a mediocre buffet, on which they raised the price. The women working at the General Store were very nasty--are either of them still there? They had the Liptons at $1.00 more than at the "outfitters".

I would second Sleepy the Arab's suggestion to skip the village entirely. Stay at the nice shelter--there are even bathrooms with showers and a payphone--or stay at the hostel.

You should also explain the total cost of a room including all taxes and the maximum number of guests that includes and the number and sizes of beds and if there are additional charges for additional people.

Max Power
01-31-2008, 15:39
Sorry about your restaurant experience. That was the time they were going through a major change.
The shuttle is $2 from trail to Village and we shuttle into Robbinsville for $40.
As far as the General store women, I know exactly who you are talking about. When I was a guest of the resort I had the same problem. THe main "nasty" is gone. Customer service is better.
The Hilton is nice, but we're a good rest before the Park.
There's really too much to explain about the rooms. AS mentioned before they have waved charges for additional people. For more info on rooms the number is 828 498 2211.

I have a great interest in the hiking community and do my best to help you all out. So I hope to see many hiker come here. Keep your ears open for my podcast on hikers who come through our area.

iesman69
01-31-2008, 16:01
Nice write up MP, and the blog's interesting too.

Max Power
01-31-2008, 16:32
Mucho Gracias

Rebel, with a Cause!
03-07-2008, 09:21
I always use the Hike INN on Hwy 28. Run by Jeff and Nancy Hoch, they will pick you up at the Dam, take you into the next town for resupply, wash your clothes and if you are lucky Nancy will let you sample some of her Salsa !! This solves the resupply problem and getting to and from the trail. Also Jeff knows everything going on up and down the Trail. Notice the name, an inn for hikers and about hikers. 13 years strong.

Class act with A-1 service

Rebel with a Cause

DesertMTB
03-07-2008, 10:37
Hey Max. We are coming through there next week. We were hoping to resupply at the Marina. What kinds of food do they have? Do they sell beer?

Max Power
03-07-2008, 11:57
Not a good idea. The marina at this time is under-construction as they are building a new one. They were never a "resupply spot," but had beer. Again at this time they will have nothing. You'll have to go into the Village.

DesertMTB
03-07-2008, 12:19
Not a good idea. The marina at this time is under-construction as they are building a new one. They were never a "resupply spot," but had beer. Again at this time they will have nothing. You'll have to go into the Village.

Thanks for the reply. That is very helpful advice.

Max Power
03-12-2008, 20:49
Yeah man. Good luck and have fun!

Sly
03-12-2008, 21:07
Maybe you should start your own thread! :rolleyes:

I always use the Hike INN on Hwy 28. Run by Jeff and Nancy Hoch, they will pick you up at the Dam, take you into the next town for resupply, wash your clothes and if you are lucky Nancy will let you sample some of her Salsa !! This solves the resupply problem and getting to and from the trail. Also Jeff knows everything going on up and down the Trail. Notice the name, an inn for hikers and about hikers. 13 years strong.

Class act with A-1 service

Rebel with a Cause

Rebel, with a Cause!
03-16-2008, 11:28
Maybe you should start your own thread! :rolleyes:

Good idea Sly, when the people were talking about the resupply problems, thats when I thought of the Hike INN.

Cya later, gone to start a new Thread :)