PDA

View Full Version : Gear list, Please Evaluate!!

dmb658
01-30-2008, 22:40
Gear list for 2008 thru-hike, starting mid march

This is a list of what I have or am going to get, any suggestions or comments will help, thank you!

Pack – GG Nimbus Meridian
Pack Cover – GG Pack Cover
Tent – Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo E (w/ 6 stakes)

Bag – Marmot Helium EQ
Bag liner – Rei Silk Jersey Bag Liner
Sleeping pad – Thermarest Z-lite or Mont-Bell U.L. Comfort System Pad 150 or Thermarest Prolite 3

Fleece – MH Monkey Man
Shell (Top)– ___________
Shell (bottom) – REI Ultralight Pant
Shirt – REI OXT tech tee (x2)
Short – __________
Pant – __________
Underwear – __________
Socks – Smartwool Adrenaline light crew(x3)
Sock Liners – __________
Gloves – ___________
Thermal Top – Smartwool Lightweight NTS
Thermal Bottom – Smartwool Lightweight NTS

Boots – Vasque Kota Mid XCR
Camp Shoes - Crocs
Hiking Poles – Komperdell Mountaineer
Head Lamp – Petzl e+lite or Petzl tikka plus

Stove – Trangia Westwind(Stove, stand, and windscreen)
Pot – ________(big enough for 2 people)
Cookwear – REI Spork, Orikaso Bowl

Filter – Steripen Classic or MSR HyperFlow
Water Bottle – Nalgene Canteen

Camera – Canon Powershot SD750
-2 SD Memory cards(one is at home while I have the other)
-2 Batteries(1 Standard, 1 Extra Long)
-Charger
Misc.
Bandanas
First aid kit
Hand sanitizer
Thru-hikers handbook
Fleece hat
Needle and thread
Bear bag and cord
Wallet
Bic lighter
DUCT TAPE

*i may have missed a few things in this list
ANY SUGGESTIONS?

rafe
01-30-2008, 22:47
Add maps, a hat, sunblock, DEET, and a small note pad and a pen. Skip the wallet.

A-Train
01-30-2008, 22:50

This is a list of what I have or am going to get, any suggestions or comments will help, thank you!

Bag – Marmot Helium EQ
Sleeping pad – Thermarest Z-lite or Mont-Bell U.L. Comfort System Pad 150 or Thermarest Prolite 3

Fleece – MH Monkey Man
Shell (Top)– ___________
Short – __________
Pant – __________
Underwear – __________
Sock Liners – __________
Gloves – ___________

Camp Shoes - Crocs

-Charger
Misc.
Bandanas
First aid kit
Hand sanitizer
Thru-hikers handbook
Fleece hat
Needle and thread
Bear bag and cord
Wallet
Bic lighter
DUCT TAPE

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Good list, you're well on your way. Here are some ideas:

You don't need hiking pants. Shorts, long-johns and rain pants are plenty. You only need 1 t-shirt.

I believe the Helium is a 15 degree bag. If so, you don't need a liner on top of this for a mid-March start.

Ditch the Orikaso and eat out of the pot. Additionally, you guys should each have your own lightweight titanium or hexalite pots, instead of a heavy 2 person pot. Ditch the Nalgene Cantene and go with Gatorade bottles and a Playtpus 2 litre bag for camp.

1 Bandana is enough. Why 2 batteries for your camera?

What about a journal and pen? Music? Maps?

Looks good so far!

ScottP
01-30-2008, 23:11
Looks like a pretty good, standard thru-hiker setup. Enjoy.

Appalachian Tater
01-30-2008, 23:32
The GG pack cover won't keep your stuff dry. Get a heavy-duty garbage bag liner.

Ear plugs.

Panzer1
01-31-2008, 01:36
I would say keep the Nalgene canteen because it can be attached to the MSR HyperFlow water filter and also add a 4 quart dromlite water bag or some other kind of water bag, but I would make it 4 quarts.
and make the Nalgene the lightweight HDPE white plastic type (not the pretty but heavy Lexan type)

I would keep 2 T-shirts, one to wear on the trail and a clean one to wear into town or when around the opposite sex.

I would keep the 2 camera batteries because they probably weigh about half ounce or less.

I hike with 2 bandannas.

Also:
I don't see a toilet kit. a well stocked toilet kit.
a small knife, like a Swiss army knife or something like that
small compass, I just like having a compass
cell phone and recharger
watch with alarm
also a water proof hat in addition to your fleece hat
food bag with small containers for:
salt/pepper/sugar/garlic powder/onion powder/olive oil/whatever
assortment of zip lock bags
ground cloth to use under tent when tenting and under sleeping bag when in a shelter
got to have Ipod or something like that is a must, but do not listen to it while actually hiking because of snakes and other dangers.
maps to go along with the guide book
journal and new pen

Panzer
Good Luck

Dogwood
01-31-2008, 05:43
Good well thought out thru-hiker list!
Some suggestions, comments, questions:

Why the EQ version of the Marmot Helium? The EQ is heavier(by 5 0z), less breathable, more expensive, and with the tent that U are using the reg. Helium w/ the Pertex Quantum(quite water resistant) cover would do the job. Benefits of the EQ are that U can sleep outside w/ just the bag in a misty rain and still stay dry and U have the use of a full Zipper. During the summer months, on a AT thru-hike, this bag, particularly with the less breathable EQ version, is going to be too warm to sleep in! Plan on some other sleep arrangements for summer! The silk liner will help protect the costly sleeping bag and give U some added warmth in the beginning of your trip, but at some pt. carrying both is overkill! If you're thinking you'll use just the silk liner in late Spring, Summer, and early Fall U may find it's not warm enough by itself. Suggested option: have two sleeping bags - one for the shoulder seasons(early Spring and early Fall), if U need added warmth and protection add your liner(personally, I would just sleep in my thermals for the added warmth and protection to my bag and consider ditching the liner, ditching the liner depends on the kind of sleeper U are(cold, hot)and the weather) - one for late Spring, Summer, and early Fall.

What are U going to do when it rains/snows? Just hike wet and possibly cold? Add a rain jacket, shell, poncho, etc. While U might need the thermal early in your hike for added warmth, since U are planning a mid March start date, at some pt.(when it warms up a bit) look to ditch the thermal top and let the rain jacket do double duty in a layering system to keep warm. 1 tee early in your hike should be fine(how often are U going to wear tees in mid March?, U are already carrying a thermal top(hike in it), heavy fleece(start your day off hiking in it), and a rain jacket(hike in it). Layer these pieces as conditions dictate! Switch to 2 tees when U send the thermal top home. 2 sets of socks are often enough. Wash dirty socks(away from drinking water sources, please) and attach them to the outside of your pack with some safety pins to dry as U wear the fresh pair. I like hiking in shorts, so even if it's 25 degs., I wear them, but I keep my extemities and core warm at the same time. Are U going to transition to shorts/convertibles when it warms up or are U going to hike the summer months in pants? 1 bandana in summer is often all U need(use it in multiple ways,(hat, bandana, wash cloth, filtering coffee, etc.)), don't need both a fleece hat and 2 bandanas, start your hike with just the fleece and transition to just 1 bandana(I know I'm being ruthless).

While the Petzyl e-Lite is smaller and weighs less than the Petzyl Tikka Plus I find it's fine around camp but it just doesn't put out enough light for hiking at night. Don't know if U feel the same way or if U hike at night, as I do, but this may be something to consider.

As per A-Train's suggestions consider ditching the Orikaso and eat out of the pot. I assume the reason you're carrying a 2 person pot is because you're hiking with someone else and sharing a stove(good idea!). If you're afraid of cooties let one person eat out of the pot and one person eat out of the Orikaso. If you're by yourself get a 1 person pot and eat out of if.

Dogwood
01-31-2008, 07:09
Water treatment options are fine, but do consider Aqua Mira as a smaller lighter less costly option with no working parts or batteries that can have issues.

The AT is so well marked and traveled that U don't need a compass unless U plan on doing extensive off-trail bushwaking. Unless U have some specific allergies to the sun U are not going to need sunscreen, as the AT is primarily a shaded woodland crest trail. Don't start your hike with bug dope. There will be no pesty bugs in mid March. U are not going to need DEET until late Spring. Don't need a seperate dedicated bear bag and line. You'll probably already have a food stuff sack. Just tie about 30 ft. of lite wt. line to it(or use another stuff sack) and U have your bear bagging system. As Panzer already suggested, a SMALL knife or multitool would be good. PLEASE leave the cell at home or at least put it on buzz mode. REALLY personal choice, but leave the toiletry kit at home. All real men wipe their asses with leaves, rocks, sticks and pine cones.

I'm not familar with your camera, and I'm not exactly sure of what U mean when U say you're are planning on carrying 1 Standard and 1 Extra Long battrery, but consider carrying 1 extra battery in place of the often heavier charger. Either buy new batteries(assuming your camera uses reg. batteries, Lithium batteries last longer, are lighter, but a bit and more expensive than reg. batteries) at resupply stops, have batteries mailed to U in your resupply boxes(assuming U are resupplying by using drops), or mail the charger ahead on the trail to anticipated stops to recharge your batteries. I know this sounds like a lot to digest, but I just went thru thinking about all this with my new camera purchase for my next thru-hike.

As I looked over your list one last time I was wondering if the categories U left empty simply meant that U were taking that gear but just wasn't sure of brand and style(should have realized this initally). If that's true my apologies for seeming harsh about the shell/rain jacket. And, if this is true I would suggest to U, as A-Train already has, go with shorts, thermal bottoms, and your rain pants for your lower half.

My goal was to give U options to consider. By no means am I suggesting that everything I suggested will be right for U or is even right!. You'll figure a lot of this stuff out as U continue your hike.

quasarr
01-31-2008, 10:15
although you haven't posted weights, your list looks somewhat lightweight. Consider switching from boots to trail runners, unless you have ankle problems or something.

Also I would leave the Crocs at home, or make some of these

http://www.trailquest.net/sandals.html

the crocs can be used to ford streams, but from what I hear you won't need to do that much in the South (correct me if I'm wrong about this)

whiterockjock
01-31-2008, 11:11
Here is my list (still looking at adding some luxury items?) and may change to my Mariposa Plus pack

whiterockjock
01-31-2008, 11:15
Oh BTW, my girl friend is carrying some other small items like pepsi can stove, first aid,toilet kit. I will carry all food for both of us and her pack will never weight more than 8-10 pounds total!

Lilred
01-31-2008, 12:30
Oh BTW, my girl friend is carrying some other small items like pepsi can stove, first aid,toilet kit. I will carry all food for both of us and her pack will never weight more than 8-10 pounds total!

You're a very good boyfriend.

Rockhound
01-31-2008, 21:00

Bag – Marmot Helium EQ

Fleece – MH Monkey Man
Shell (Top)– ___________
Short – __________
Pant – __________
Underwear – __________
Sock Liners – __________
Gloves – ___________

Camp Shoes - Crocs

-Charger
Misc.
Bandanas
First aid kit
Hand sanitizer
Thru-hikers handbook
Fleece hat
Needle and thread
Bear bag and cord
Wallet
Bic lighter
DUCT TAPE

ANY SUGGESTIONS?
a water bladder you can carry in your pack or strap to the side. it can be a long way between water source. being able to hike with 2 extra quarts can sure come in handy

Rockhound
01-31-2008, 21:06
at least until you get to neils' gap. then lets see how chivalrous you are. If she doesn't quit by then she should carry her own weight. even with a little help 25 to 30 lbs seems a bit more reasonable.

Rockhound
01-31-2008, 21:08
although you haven't posted weights, your list looks somewhat lightweight. Consider switching from boots to trail runners, unless you have ankle problems or something.

Also I would leave the Crocs at home, or make some of these

http://www.trailquest.net/sandals.html

the crocs can be used to ford streams, but from what I hear you won't need to do that much in the South (correct me if I'm wrong about this)
crocs rock. don't leave home without em'

rafe
01-31-2008, 22:16
crocs rock. don't leave home without em'

Crocs make sense if you're hiking in heavy boots. Less so (IMO) if you're hiking in trail runners.

rafe
01-31-2008, 22:32
The AT is so well marked and traveled that U don't need a compass unless U plan on doing extensive off-trail bushwaking. Unless U have some specific allergies to the sun U are not going to need sunscreen, as the AT is primarily a shaded woodland crest trail. Don't start your hike with bug dope. There will be no pesty bugs in mid March. U are not going to need DEET until late Spring. .... PLEASE leave the cell at home or at least put it on buzz mode. REALLY personal choice, but leave the toiletry kit at home. All real men wipe their asses with leaves, rocks, sticks and pine cones.

There's a lot to take issue with here.

a compass could save your a$$, and needn't weigh more than 1 oz.
DEET, while maybe not 100% necessary in March, weighs next to nothing. (You could pick it up along the way, of course.)
Sunblock: no leaves to block the sun in March. Melanoma is no joke. Above treeline, sunblock can save your a$$.
Cell phone: we could argue that one 'till the cows come home. I have a lovin' spouse at home, so I carry one. It's turned off while I hike.
More power to you if you can hike without TP. Not my choice. ;)

quasarr
01-31-2008, 22:47
You're a very good boyfriend.

I want to talk to whiterockjock's girlfriend to find out her secret! how does she get him to carry all her stuff :-?

Bob S
01-31-2008, 22:52
GPS

Matches to backup the bic lighter.

Zip Lock bags for the camera, your wallet and anything else that doesn’t like water.

A bug head net (like $2.00 at Wally World) This item will really keep you sane when the bugs are thick. Spray it with Permethrin.

If you go with the Steripen I would also have a backup, I liked the idea of these until I did an on line search for reviews on it. It seems to have a higher failure rate then it should. But then you could always boil water as a backup if it failed.

Also along with DEET I would spray all clothes with Permethrin before you leave. And add a can to each mail drop to respray it on the clothes. You can do this in town and then toss the can. It last for about 3-weeks. Till the next drop, and it really cuts down on the bug bites.

A book or something to pass time when stuck in the tent in a downpour. You can only read so many gear labels and food packaging labels.

Another thing I would take with me is a glue stick, I don’t know the exact name for it, but it’s a rubber stick (like and about the same size as a glue stick for a glue gun, only made out of rubber, not plastic.) that’s sold most places that sell fishing supplies. Wal-Mart has them ($3.00 for a pack of 2, 1 would last the whole trip.) they work by heat, you heat the end up with a match or lighter for a few seconds and then apply it to the tare or area to be repaired. It makes a waterproof repair and dries in a few seconds. I always have one with me. You can use it to repair almost everything, a shoe flap, packs, a burn hole in a tent or bag. It gives you a glue gun without the glue gun.

Panzer1
02-01-2008, 02:52
All real men wipe their asses with leaves, rocks, sticks and pine cones.

How do you wipe your ass with pine cones???:confused: Why would you want to do that.

Panzer

whiterockjock
02-01-2008, 09:41
at least until you get to neils' gap. then lets see how chivalrous you are. If she doesn't quit by then she should carry her own weight. even with a little help 25 to 30 lbs seems a bit more reasonable.

This is a system I learned from Francis Tapon. My girlfriend is 59, I am 54 and a former Jarhead so I am used to humping up to 60 pounds! Her knees and hip bother her so her pack is always right at 8-10 pounds and she can do 15-20 mile days like that. It is a small price to pay to hike with someone you love! Even so my pack is still only 18-25 pounds, so it is a cake walk for me also. BTW, I can still score IRONMAN on a Marine Corps fitness test! Maybe when you are older you tend to think of more than just "yourself"!

scope
02-01-2008, 10:05
I have the same Canon SD750 camera. Battery life is good. You could consider losing a battery, especially if you're taking the charger which is doable since its small and light and pretty quick. You didn't mention it, so maybe its going in a bump box?

I'd also get two more SD cards, 2 to have with you, 2 to send home. They're so light, and you don't want to run out of memory and you want to take real high res pics.

whiterockjock
02-01-2008, 10:30
http://francistapon.com/at/gear.htm

This is the "good boyfriend" link I learned how to split our gear and get our weight so low! Hope it helps someone else. BTW way we had each humped 40 pound packs in Alaska and since going light have donated thousands of dollars in traditional gear to the Boy Scouts.