PDA

View Full Version : Show me your Mug?

Smile
01-31-2008, 00:23
I'm thinking about the 'caldera cone' thing, sans plastic cook bowl/cozy. I see that there are several sizes dealing with different sized Ti Mugs.

What are you carrying and why?

Is a 450 too small or would you prefer a 600?

I currently use a TinMan Pepsican stove, but the new cone thing looks so darn efficient ( saw it at SoRuck) that I may go with that. :)

Roots
01-31-2008, 00:36
Funny you ask.... I have a Ti Snow Peak 700 and love it . I use a Giga Power Stove, but have toyed with the alcohol stove for a while. Tin Man has me wanting to order a Caldera for my trip...Hell... I think I will. :cool:

Footslogger
01-31-2008, 00:41
Here's the one I use - - the GSI Lexan Cup

http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_detail_square.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=8455 24441773957&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=282574488340503&bmUID=1201754263212

Reason I use it ??? ...it's reasonably light, fits in side my cookpot and holds 2 full cups of beverage.

'Slogger

mweinstone
01-31-2008, 00:48
i drink from my 2 litre ti msr pot like a real man. mugs are for silly little people with ....oh never mind.this thread receives my highest rateing. suck.

bigcranky
01-31-2008, 08:35
450 is too small. Barely big enough for a cup of coffee. 600 or 700 is more useful if you want a mug/pot combo. The Snow Peak 900 is a good compromise -- big enough to cook in like a pot, but not too big to use as a (very large) mug.

Matty may drink from his two liter pot, but realize that Matty requires two liters of coffee every morning just to get out of bed.:D

Hooch
01-31-2008, 09:00
I'm thinking about the 'caldera cone' thing, sans plastic cook bowl/cozy. I see that there are several sizes dealing with different sized Ti Mugs.

What are you carrying and why?

Is a 450 too small or would you prefer a 600?

I currently use a TinMan Pepsican stove, but the new cone thing looks so darn efficient ( saw it at SoRuck) that I may go with that. :)
Love, love, love my Caldera Cone! I'm even trying to talk Doc into making the change. That said, I use an MSR Titan Kettle with mine. It's 0.85 liter and works just fine for me. It's what I used with my Pocket Rocket and saw no need to change just because I was changing stoves, particularly since the Caldera Cone was made to fit my Titan Kettle. And for the record, two big fat thumbs up to the folks at Trail Designs for creating the cone and two more to Tin Man and his crew at AntiGravity Gear. Their customer service is without a doubt second to none. :D

Smile
01-31-2008, 12:32
two big fat thumbs up to the folks at Trail Designs for creating the cone and two more to Tin Man and his crew at AntiGravity Gear

You got that right! :)

I have an MSR Titan kettle I can borrow from RBMan, maybe I will go with this instead of a mug. I just like the compactness of a mug, and I won't use one of those plastic 'cozy' things, so crushing the cone needs to be addressed ( I saw that it sort of fits 'inside' one of those when not in use.

I'm glad he came up with this new idea, although I have to alter how I carry it. that was the one thing I did not like about this when I first saw it at TrailDays, the crushability factor. They are certainly working hard on this one, it's a gem for sure, and so efficient!

Any idea on how to pack the cone without the 'cone holder' thing?:)

Hooch
01-31-2008, 12:40
Any idea on how to pack the cone without the 'cone holder' thing?:)I pack mine in the "cone holder" (16oz plastic cup), which doubles as a measuring cup, and then put the open end down in my Titan Kettle with a bandana in between to reduce noise/scraping. Then I put the whole thing down in a sil drawstring bag. There are pics of other ideas on the FAQ page of AGG's website (http://www.traildesigns.com/caldera-help.html). Hope that helps some, Smile. :D

Roots
01-31-2008, 12:52
Hey Hooch, you and Tin Man have converted me. Ordering the Caldera tomorrow! :banana

Hooch
01-31-2008, 12:55
Hey Hooch, you and Tin Man have converted me. Ordering the Caldera tomorrow! :bananaSweet.....glad I could help. Hope you can get GungHo converted as well. Now if we could just get you guys in hammocks, you'd be set! :rolleyes: :D

Roots
01-31-2008, 13:00
Sweet.....glad I could help. Hope you can get GungHo converted as well. Now if we could just get you guys in hammocks, you'd be set! :rolleyes: :D
NOW, NOW, Hooch...slow conversions...:D

Hooch
01-31-2008, 13:05
NOW, NOW, Hooch...slow conversions...:DJust a suggestion. :rolleyes::D

sherco
01-31-2008, 19:48
My Vargo 700 is real nice

Smile
01-31-2008, 22:32
I need to look into these, it is 700 ml? Have to find a conversion page online, and see how many 'cups' that is. :)

budforester
01-31-2008, 23:11
I need to look into these, it is 700 ml? Have to find a conversion page online, and see how many 'cups' that is. :)

About 2.75

mrburns
02-01-2008, 00:07
I use a 0.5 L (16 oz) nalgene bottle, weighs 3oz... holds the heat just fine (better than I'd expect), and because it has a water tight lid I can make more hot chocolate or coffee than I want to drink right away in the AM and take another coffee break after the first hour or so of hiking warms me up.

Hooch
02-01-2008, 06:29
240 ml in a cup, so 2.91 cups.