PDA

View Full Version : How do Weekenders and Section Hikers "Really Feel" about Thru Hikers?

Almost There
01-31-2008, 01:08
Had to ask as the other thread was resurrected!!!

warraghiyagey
01-31-2008, 01:10
I never cared to differentiate. Seeing other hikers on the trail is seeing other folks who were drawn to the trail to, something I admire, nothing to be labeled.:)

CaseyB
01-31-2008, 01:35
Everybody's a section hiker 'till they finish

Egads
01-31-2008, 07:35
I admire the SOBOs who endure the cold while finishing up in Dec / Jan.

superman
01-31-2008, 07:55
Thru hikers are funny looking and smell bad....um....maybe that was just me?:)

Hooch
01-31-2008, 08:03
I never cared to differentiate. Seeing other hikers on the trail is seeing other folks who were drawn to the trail to, something I admire, nothing to be labeled.:)Gotta agree, a hiker is a hiker whether thru-hiker or section hiker. We all hike the same trail, so there's no point in putting someone up on a pedestal just because he or she may do it for a longer distance/time. Don't get me wrong, it takes a lot to do a thru and I definitely appreciate the physical and psychologic effort it takes. Obviously, not everyone can take 6 months out of their lives and put most other things on the back burner for a thru. For those who can, awesome, I envy that. For those who persevere on year after year to make their sections come together to the magical termini of choice, you have my hearfelt admiration. :D

Lone Wolf
01-31-2008, 08:58
Gotta agree, a hiker is a hiker whether thru-hiker or section hiker.

nope. disagree. big difference

Almost There
01-31-2008, 10:24
nope. disagree. big difference

:-?Knew you'd say that!!!

jhick
01-31-2008, 10:38
I meet 6 thru hikers at a shelter once and talked with them for a while. Except for one (I think her name was Luna) they all appeared to be miserable, tired and bored. I did not get the impression that they were enjoying themselves. I think it takes much more commitment to do a thru, so not every weekender can complete a thru. But I'd rather enjoy myself. One day I hopefully will be able to start a thru hike, and I'll walk until the fun ends.

Sly
01-31-2008, 10:40
Obviously, not everyone can take 6 months out of their lives and put most other things on the back burner for a thru. For those who can, awesome, I envy that.

There's your major difference. Thru-hikers are those willing to do what it takes. That said, some aren't to be envied as they just go through the motions.

Lone Wolf
01-31-2008, 10:42
I meet 6 thru hikers at a shelter once and talked with them for a while. Except for one (I think her name was Luna) they all appeared to be miserable, tired and bored. I did not get the impression that they were enjoying themselves. I think it takes much more commitment to do a thru, so not every weekender can complete a thru. But I'd rather enjoy myself. One day I hopefully will be able to start a thru hike, and I'll walk until the fun ends.

me and gypsy did a flip in 2000. started running into NOBOs in the wilderness. never saw such a buncha miserable hikers in all my life. thier hike was over hundreds of miles before

Lilred
01-31-2008, 10:48
Section hiking and thru-hiking are two totally different animals. Thru hiking is an undertaking. For most people it requires immense change in lifestyle both on the trail and off.

Section hiking is a vacation for most. Two weeks, four if you're lucky and back home again.

Thru hiking is a huge commitment. Section hiking is just dating.

DesertMTB
01-31-2008, 11:08
I admire thru-hikers for one simple reason: they are able to take 4-6 months off from their job and do it.

DCHiker
01-31-2008, 11:12
Sorry, but who really gives a *****? Last time I checked I was hiking for my own enjoyment... one night or one month or for however long... not for some yahoo's approval in the shelter next to me.

jhick
01-31-2008, 11:26
never saw such a buncha miserable hikers in all my life.

if miserable wasn't a fitting word, then I don't know what is.

gold bond
01-31-2008, 11:30
I really envy / respect thru's for their commitment and for just finishing the dang thing. As for myself I section hike due to my financial / work commitment and I truely hope that one day I am blessed with the opportunity to "attempt" a thru, untill then...I'll just section.
I truely just love to hike, period....no cell phone, computers, customers complaining or whatever!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-31-2008, 11:33
Other - maybe 10 -20% of thrus are elitists who think being a thru makes them oh-so-special , but most are just the same hiker-trash I am with more stamina & time and fewer commitments. If I were physically capable of a thru and didn't have so many family commitments, I would be a thru. Sometime real life gets in the way and my family still comes before hiking for me YMMV.

Thoughtful Owl
01-31-2008, 11:45
I am a section hiker and I am envious of thru-hikers. Yeah, I know the thru-hiker is no different than the rest of us and all that I have met are just down to earth friendly folk.

Let's be real, if we didn't have family and other commitments, and are physically capable wouldn't we all want to be out there getting our hike on full time.

Thru-hiking the AT is something I should have done before settling down and getting married but their were other interests too and since I have not throu-hiked you can guess what had priority. So now, I will section and maybe if my health holds and I retire, I will be able to live my dream.

rafe
01-31-2008, 11:56
I really envy / respect thru's for their commitment and for just finishing the dang thing.

I agree 100%. Having tried, I know how tough it is. Let's bear in mind that it's not a dichotomy. There's a continuum of section hike lengths. There's not a whole lot of difference between a section and a thru once the sections get long enough.

Most thrus I've met are decent folks. A few of the twenty-somethings act stupid and self-centered, though I chalk that up mostly to "the arrogance of youth" more than anything else.

jhick
01-31-2008, 12:13
When I said miserable, I meant it about their current state of mind. I have nothing but respect for anyone who attempts a thru hike.

hammock engineer
01-31-2008, 12:19
To keep this off topic. I was amazed by the number oif thru hikers I saw that were not having a good time. I would say under 15% or so, but still a lot. Maybe I just caught some at a bad time. I had my share or good days and some bad.

Terry7
01-31-2008, 12:20
I will go out again this year a spend 5-6 months on the trail. I have not wanted to do a thru hike because they always seem to be rushed. I just like to enjoy the time spend living free.

Nean
01-31-2008, 12:34
Thru hiking a long distance trail requires a change in your lifestyle.:-? Some are great people and some real turds.:)

Section hiking short distances ( I don't care if you resupply or not :rolleyes:) is more of a vacation from your lifestyle.:( Some are great people and some real turds.;)

Everybody hikes for there own reasons, as they should, but people tend to admire some reasons more than others.

superman
01-31-2008, 12:40
When I've hiked sections of the AT I've picked the sections, the time and (to a degree) the weather. When I thru hiked it was getting the miles in regardless of the weather and most anything else. In a section hike, knowing that you are only out there for a relatively short period can buoy you over some inconveniences. In 2000, the early part of my hike was working out the rhythm of my hike. There were periods of heat when I hiked without a shirt and struggled with chaffing. There were some weeks of rain and/or wet trail that were kind of depressing. There were times when I met new and interesting people that I had great conversations with. There were so many wonderful views and events along the trail. Months passed, seasons changed and the pack of people shuffled like a deck of cards. I enjoyed a great party with the loud crowd at Jo Mary Road. They respected my not wanting smoke and there were lots of hot dogs and beer. By the time I got to Maine, which is a great state to hike in, I was ready for my hike to end. I wasn't miserable but I’d come far and I was ready to see Katahdin.

A-Train
01-31-2008, 12:50
Some thru's do become misreble by the 2nd half of their hike. People get burned out. It's not easy to do ANYTHING for 120-180 straight days, even if you love it. But most folks who get that far are committed to finishing, so not everyday will be cheerful.

I've had some dissapointing exchanges with thru's while I was a weekender/sectioner where the thru's were rude and short. I never take it personally because I've been on both sides. While I was enjoying a few days away from my job, they were in the midst of their job. Maybe they were missing home, tired of enduring rain, fatigued, needing a zero day,etc.

When it boils down, thru's and sectioners have equal claim to the trail and no one is better than anyone else.

Almost There
01-31-2008, 13:04
Sorry keep seeing people talk about the trail as a "job". It's not a job, that's like me saying if I choose to stay home for 5 months and play video games that it's my "job". Gimme a break, your choice to stay out that long, you can always come home and get a "job", if you are that miserable. It's a challenge to be sure, but one completely out of choice and not out of necessity. As for section hiking, I see much of what some have said about picking where you hike and such stuff, but as for the weather....if I have 2 weeks to hike and it rains 10 of 14 days, well I hike in the rain or give up my hike because there is no sitting out rain for a section hike, but I have known quite a few thrus who have sat out weather. On another note, someone talked about section hiking being a date and thru hiking being a marriage. I say it depends on how you look at it. If I am section hiking the AT over 20 years and finally finish, I would call that more of a marriage as I have stuck with something for decades not months. For it to keep my interest that long....To me thru hiking in my estimation is like a tempestuous affair. Some of it is wonderful, some of it drives you crazy, some of it can make you miserable...but you are determined to see it through to the end where ever it may lead you.

Lastly, look at the age makeup of most thruhikers...early twentysomethings not sure where they want to go after school and retirees wanting to live out a dream. On the one hand there is a group that isn't ready for "real" life yet, and on the other hand we have folks who have already lived their "real" life and want to dream a little again. To envy them....hardly, I made my choice when I was younger and so I'll maybe be a dreamer when I retire. I know there are those that have managed to make the trail a part of their everyday life, and more power to you, I admire people who do what they want to do, but the vast majority of hikers, both section and thrus are not in this group of trailfolk who manage to get out for months on end every year or every other year.

MOWGLI
01-31-2008, 13:34
Anytime you try and stereotype entire groups of people, rather than treat them as individuals, you're asking for trouble.

Well over 95% of the folks that I have met on the AT strike me as good, considerate people. That includes all manner of hikers - including day hikers. That's the biggest user group out there, and they're not even listed in the poll.

MOWGLI
01-31-2008, 13:43
Sorry keep seeing people talk about the trail as a "job". It's not a job,

In many respects, a thru-hike is like a job IMO. After a couple of months, it wasn't like I'd wake up and say, "gosh golly, I can't wait to hike today!" My feet hurt, I was sore all over and bug bit, it was often cold & rainy or hot & humid, and I would sometimes dread a climb while laying in my sleeping bag looking at the map. Usually, once I got a mile or so into the day, I'd feel better. And of course, there were many days that you really looked forward to - knowing that you were going to come across some feature along the trail - like Harpers Ferry or Bears Den Hostel.

It wasn't all wine & roses on the trail though, and anyone who says it was is probably fooling themselves. I remember encountering a woman in Glencliff, NH. Her husband had hiked SOBO a few years earlier. She told me how hard it was for him, and how lonely he got, and how he would call her and complain. When I asked her how he talks about the experience today, she said he just gushes about how wonderful it was, and never talks about the adversity. :sun

That being said, thru-hiking beats going to the office - hands down.

Mountain Dew
01-31-2008, 13:44
LIL RED, "Thru hiking is a huge commitment. Section hiking is just dating" --- That is hilarious.....

"Thru-hikers" is a losely used word. There is a difference between real thru-hikers and other that say they are but skip miles. There is a bigger difference between a real thru-hiker and a section hiker. I agree with what Wolf said on that topic.

woodsy
01-31-2008, 13:44
Anytime you try and stereotype entire groups of people, rather than treat them as individuals, you're asking for trouble.

Well over 95% of the folks that I have met on the AT strike me as good, considerate people. That includes all manner of hikers - including day hikers. That's the biggest user group out there, and they're not even listed in the poll.

Damn day hikers, aren't even worth polling:rolleyes:
just kidding, good point Mowgli:)

warraghiyagey
01-31-2008, 13:46
Damn day hikers, aren't even worth polling:rolleyes:
just kidding, good point Mowgli:)
Aha!! Caught you red handed!!http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/forum/stirthepot.gif

Almost There
01-31-2008, 14:00
In many respects, a thru-hike is like a job IMO. After a couple of months, it wasn't like I'd wake up and say, "gosh golly, I can't wait to hike today!" My feet hurt, I was sore all over and bug bit, it was often cold & rainy or hot & humid, and I would sometimes dread a climb while laying in my sleeping bag looking at the map. Usually, once I got a mile or so into the day, I'd feel better. And of course, there were many days that you really looked forward to - knowing that you were going to come across some feature along the trail - like Harpers Ferry or Bears Den Hostel.

It wasn't all wine & roses on the trail though, and anyone who says it was is probably fooling themselves. I remember encountering a woman in Glencliff, NH. Her husband had hiked SOBO a few years earlier. She told me how hard it was for him, and how lonely he got, and how he would call her and complain. When I asked her how he talks about the experience today, she said he just gushes about how wonderful it was, and never talks about the adversity. :sun

That being said, thru-hiking beats going to the office - hands down.

First,on the topic of dayhikers I hit submit poll and then realized I couldn't go back and change it....oops.

Second to borrow your line, "Thru-hiking beats going to the office-hands down", and that's my point you said it was, "like a job" but like isn't the same as exactly. Playing sports can be like a job, but it isn't, you don't need to do it in order to survive, most people need jobs to survive. I loved playing football and wrestling. You also had your highs and your lows there. One season playoff contender, the next season losing record. One season healthy the entire year, the next hurting and battling injury all year. Yeah, I have been there and from that perspective I understand adversity rather well, so why keep doing it? Because ultimately it is part of the greater experience we love, and that makes it...not a job.

I understand the feeling, heck there were many a day I didn't want to lift weights or do cardio training...but it prepared me for the fun stuff, and that made it worth it. Hiking in the cold rain makes that sunny mountain top with clear views all the more worth it, or eating that krappy ramen for the 100th time makes that great big steak and loaded potato all that much better. Highs and lows are what makes life worth living, without the lows, the highs don't really exist.

Alligator
01-31-2008, 14:06
I have the utmost respect for their accomplishment(s) and I envy them the time they have to hike. I used to get a little star-struck, but now it's just respect for how far they have travelled. I'd say my estimation of thrus changed once I realized that I had walked in the rain and sun too, been in a whiteout, hiked some big mile days, climbed some tall mountains, and experienced many similar moments. There are of course different trials/experiences unique to either type that are not interchangeable. I don't feel however that there are any reasons on my part that I should feel inferior/superior as a result of something that is not changeable. I know I get on the trail as often as I can. That's what matters to me.

Almost There
01-31-2008, 14:06
LIL RED, "Thru hiking is a huge commitment. Section hiking is just dating" --- That is hilarious.....

"Thru-hikers" is a losely used word. There is a difference between real thru-hikers and other that say they are but skip miles. There is a bigger difference between a real thru-hiker and a section hiker. I agree with what Wolf said on that topic.

Are you perhaps a purist, saying you agree with a resident blue blazer? You got the wrong track buddy! If I know Wolf he is talking about behavior and attitude...Define "real thru-hiker" for us, please? The biggest difference between myself and a "real thru-hiker" as you put it is time and committments in real life. Give me six months and take care of my committments and I'll make it, why? If my wife was willing to pick up the slack I left behind so I could live my dream...then I would owe it to her and all that she'll deal with while I am gone to finish the hike. You can tell me I'm wrong, but trust me, I'm as stubborn as they come, if I really put my mind to it, and physically, there is no issue about being able to handle it, short of falling off of a mountain or being eaten by a wild shelter mouse!:D

Almost There
01-31-2008, 14:07
I have the utmost respect for their accomplishment(s) and I envy them the time they have to hike. I used to get a little star-struck, but now it's just respect for how far they have travelled. I'd say my estimation of thrus changed once I realized that I had walked in the rain and sun too, been in a whiteout, hiked some big mile days, climbed some tall mountains, and experienced many similar moments. There are of course different trials/experiences unique to either type that are not interchangeable. I don't feel however that there are any reasons on my part that I should feel inferior/superior as a result of something that is not changeable. I know I get on the trail as often as I can. That's what matters to me.

You hit it right on the head, my friend!

Lone Wolf
01-31-2008, 14:08
only speed hikers impress me

Alligator
01-31-2008, 14:14
only speed hikers impress meThey impress me, but I don't think of them like hikers but more like athletes. Especially supported ones.

MOWGLI
01-31-2008, 14:16

Mountain Dew:

Are you still of the opinion that a hiker who passes all the white blazes, but chooses to ford the Kennebec is not a thru-hiker, like you've posted here previously?

What about shelter loops? If I go in on the south side of a shelter, and leave on the north side, perhaps skipping a few blazes in between, am I no longer a thru-hiker in your mind? And how would that make me different than a purist, other than being less anal? :D

Mountain Man
01-31-2008, 14:27
Coming out of the Smokies my boots were rubbing my toes pretty bad so I put some duct tape on them but even though with the tape a couple days later coming down into Hot Springs I was having a hard time walking and I know I looked like warmed over sh$t. Even with all the pain though I was having the time of my life and wouldn't have traded it for nothing. It might sound crazy to some but I was enjoying myself. Yeah, some days you might be sick, hurt or just feel bad for some reason and probably looked a little miserable and the next day felt good but everyday I had that warm fuzzy feeling inside.:D I quit my job at the Len Foote Hike (which I loved) to hike the trail and would do it again with the job I have now (that I also love) just as soon as I get all my ducks in a row. Due to a family emergency which was in need of me and my money I had left set aside for my Thru-Hike attempt I had to come off the trail at Trents Store. Now I have to admit that day I felt miserable both physically and mentally.
I did see some that looked day after day like they weren't having a good time,kind of like they didn't realize it was going to be like this.:eek: I had spent enough time out there before I left to know what it was going to be like. I have a lot of respect for those that Thru- Hike but even more so for those that do the trail there own way. Whether it be by blue blazing, all the white blazes, under 40 days, 40 years, Aqua blazeing, pink blazeing:eek: on a $1000 budget or $10,000 budget. Just do it your way. Have fun!!!:sun

Mountain Dew
01-31-2008, 14:52
Mountain Dew:

Are you still of the opinion that a hiker who passes all the white blazes, but chooses to ford the Kennebec is not a thru-hiker, like you've posted here previously?

What about shelter loops? If I go in on the south side of a shelter, and leave on the north side, perhaps skipping a few blazes in between, am I no longer a thru-hiker in your mind? And how would that make me different than a purist, other than being less anal? :D

OK... one at a time here... Fording the Kennebec. HHmmm I waffle a bit on this one, but for me personally... I'm going to stick to the official route, the boat ferry, because I set out to thru-hike the entire trail and the ferry is part of that. On the other hand I can see where somebody would want to try to walk across the Kennebec as well. By doing so, they aren't really skipping a hard section for an easier one...nor are they taking a shorter route. If I REALLY wanted to ford the Kennebec I ferry across and ford back then either ferry or ford back. Stupid or confusing as that may sound.

You asked about shelter loops .... hhmmm I also waffle on this a bit... Once again , personaly I want to walk past every bit of the AT's official route. If you want to skip a few blazes into and out of a shelter or, miles, sections, states then that is up to you, but I wanted to thru-hike the entire AT and not just do a very long section. ;) lol.....

If somebody wants to label my anything but a thru-hiker when i hiked every white blaze then that is there opinion. I'd say they have issues with honesty myself. :D

superman
01-31-2008, 14:58
I genuflect and kneel everytime I see one, they're is something special about them.
They are truly god's gift to hiking!:D

ofthearth
01-31-2008, 15:22
Section hiking and thru-hiking are two totally different animals. Thru hiking is an undertaking. For most people it requires immense change in lifestyle both on the trail and off.

Section hiking is a vacation for most. Two weeks, four if you're lucky and back home again.

Thru hiking is a huge commitment. Section hiking is just dating.

Hhhuummmmm does that mean thu hiking is like.........MARRIAGE:eek:;)

russb
01-31-2008, 16:23
I find this question odd. Do people who complete a yo-yo of the AT look down on those who complete it in only one direction? Do Thru-hikers who complete with less stops in town look down on those with more? Do distance hikers who do not resupply look down on those who do? Does someone who completes the AT look down on someone who completes the PCT or vice-versa? Does a one-legged midget SOBO look down on a two-legged NOBO?

Are there differences between each and every type of hike? For sure. Are some types more challenging than others? For sure. Are the challenges different for different people? For sure. Should anyone look down on someone else because they did something more challenging than someone else? I don't think so. IMO if they do, they missed something from the hiking experience.

Toolshed
01-31-2008, 16:40
non-self-sufficient thru-hiking trash. Think they are a celebrity in every town they hit, begging for rides and Yogi-ing for handouts. Who needs'em!!!! :jump:jump
Can we get back to politics now!??!?!?!?

MOWGLI
01-31-2008, 18:15
OK... one at a time here... Fording the Kennebec. HHmmm I waffle a bit on this one, but for me personally... I'm going to stick to the official route, the boat ferry, because I set out to thru-hike the entire trail and the ferry is part of that. On the other hand I can see where somebody would want to try to walk across the Kennebec as well. By doing so, they aren't really skipping a hard section for an easier one...nor are they taking a shorter route. If I REALLY wanted to ford the Kennebec I ferry across and ford back then either ferry or ford back. Stupid or confusing as that may sound.

You asked about shelter loops .... hhmmm I also waffle on this a bit... Once again , personaly I want to walk past every bit of the AT's official route. If you want to skip a few blazes into and out of a shelter or, miles, sections, states then that is up to you, but I wanted to thru-hike the entire AT and not just do a very long section. ;) lol.....

If somebody wants to label my anything but a thru-hiker when i hiked every white blaze then that is there opinion. I'd say they have issues with honesty myself. :D

Thanks for the reply!

Bearpaw
01-31-2008, 19:00
They're two different monsters, both requiring a tremendous amount of dedication.

Section hikers have to grow through a great deal of logistical planning for transportation, time off, shuttles, etc. This can become very taxing, especially if the trail happens in only two week increments. Plus, every time you get comfortable with your hiking conditioning, you get off the trail and have to start that heavy conditioning again on the next section.

Thru-hiking requires some sort of plan to get that time off, but more importantly, you have to overcome the mental issues of burnout. If you haven't hiked for 3-4 months continuously, it's genuinely difficult to understand. It absolutely takes on some elements of a job, the reality that you have to conform to a certain schedule and budget if your "project" is going to be completed. Mentally, a thru-hike is tougher IMO.

Section hiking tends to be more enjoyable IME, though the getting "to and from" can wear on the hiker very quickly.

Footslogger
01-31-2008, 19:12
Well ...I started off as a weekender (multi-weekender over many years actually), then did a thru in 2003, then went back with my wife to knock out sections she had missed on her AT hike in 2001.

As a weekender, I generally found myself wishing I could stay out there longer when Sunday afternoon came along. I met many thru-hikers over those years and truly envied them.

As a thru-hiker I felt very fortunate to have the opportunity to stop the world and get off for 6 months. I don't remember ever taking for granted the position I was in.

As a section hiker with my wife for 3 years I gained trememous respect for the folks who can't take the time off or choose not to hike it all at once. Getting ready for those 100+ mile sections in 2005, 2006 and 2007 was much more difficult (or so it seemed) than getting ready for my thru in 2003. The travel plans, the re-supply, the conditioning ...etc, etc.

Personally, I'm glad I did it all in one fell swoop. But my hat's off to all those who have section hiked the AT or continue to hike the AT in sections.

'Slogger

rafe
01-31-2008, 19:43
They're two different monsters, both requiring a tremendous amount of dedication.

Section hikers have to grow through a great deal of logistical planning for transportation, time off, shuttles, etc. This can become very taxing, especially if the trail happens in only two week increments. Plus, every time you get comfortable with your hiking conditioning, you get off the trail and have to start that heavy conditioning again on the next section.

Thru-hiking requires some sort of plan to get that time off, but more importantly, you have to overcome the mental issues of burnout. If you haven't hiked for 3-4 months continuously, it's genuinely difficult to understand. It absolutely takes on some elements of a job, the reality that you have to conform to a certain schedule and budget if your "project" is going to be completed. Mentally, a thru-hike is tougher IMO.

Section hiking tends to be more enjoyable IME, though the getting "to and from" can wear on the hiker very quickly.

Then there are those who started with Plan A (thru) which didn't work, and moved on to Plan B (sections) which eventually did. I think you nailed it pretty well. Any way you cut it, walking the distance from GA to ME takes a fair amount of time and dedication.

shelterbuilder
01-31-2008, 20:10
I've always felt a little envious of thru-hikers - the ability to set their other lives aside for 4-6 months and just "walk the trail" is something that I would love to be able to do.

Skidsteer
01-31-2008, 20:41

Met Luna last year at Ron's bash.

She struck me as the type of individual that would be happy where she was. Personally I think that's a prerequisite for happiness. Be happy where you are because circumstances change ever and always.

Some folks are better at it than others.

dblari
01-31-2008, 22:34
The only thur I got to know well was a great guy. I was a new hiker and he stayed up late giving me advice on gear/food/etc. He even left a note on a sign post about where I could catch a ride to an outfitter.

Patrickjd9
01-31-2008, 23:57
Sorry, but who really gives a *****? Last time I checked I was hiking for my own enjoyment... one night or one month or for however long... not for some yahoo's approval in the shelter next to me.
I don't need anyone's approval, just their civility.

If I do complete the trail by sections, it will have taken about 35 years from the first hike (not a record BTW). That ought to be enough dedication for anybody.

I will probably do a month-long hike at some point along the way, to get a taste of how the other half lives:cool:...

Lone Wolf
02-01-2008, 00:29
Met Luna last year at Ron's bash.

She struck me as the type of individual that would be happy where she was. Personally I think that's a prerequisite for happiness. Be happy where you are because circumstances change ever and always.

Some folks are better at it than others.

Luna is in Damascus. She, myself and Gypsy just left Dot's. She took 7 months to thru-hike

Erin
02-01-2008, 02:00
As a section hiker, my experience meeting thru's was only positive. How to really hang a bear bag. Sharing advice on experiences, how they got their trail names, etc. We would gravitate to them since our group was and is impressed by the committment made by the thru hikers. And they gravitated to us since we had two incredibly beautiful young blondes in our group. I followed the progress of many, some made it all the way, and some are doing it in sections. It is now my dream to attempt a thru when I retire in 9 years. I did see some people with problems, but the trail community is tolerant and takes care of each other. One guy I met was pumping water at a trickle pipe to take back to a guy on the trial he did not even know because the guy was overheated and out of water a mile back.

Pokey2006
02-01-2008, 05:24
The distinction shouldn't be "thru hiker" vs. "section hiker." Actually, both are exactly the same as far as I'm concerned: they are both LONG DISTANCE HIKERS. A thru-hiker is no different than any other long distance hiker.

Now, weekend warriors and day hikers are different than long-distance hikers. But how are you different if you hike 2,000 miles of the AT versus 1,000 miles of it?

I suppose we could debate what exactly consistitutes a "long distance" hike. I say something like 100 miles or more. Less, and you're a weekend warrior. More, and you're still just another long distance hiker.

earlyriser26
02-01-2008, 08:24
The only difference is section hikers have jobs.

Nean
02-01-2008, 21:05
But how are you different if you hike 2,000 miles of the AT versus 1,000 miles of it?

Good Question!:) Go out and do both:-?, many times is better.;) Then get back to me......:eek:

Almost There
02-01-2008, 21:51
But how are you different if you hike 2,000 miles of the AT versus 1,000 miles of it?

One has hiked an extra 1000 miles!:D

gldwings1
02-01-2008, 21:56
I wanna do it some day but my hats off to those who have done it. But I don't think they are in a different class because of something that they have accomplished. Just my $.02.

Mountain Man
02-02-2008, 08:17
Luna is in Damascus. She, myself and Gypsy just left Dot's. She took 7 months to thru-hike

Hey LoneWolf, tell Luna I said Congratulations on finishing her hike and hope to see her at Trail Days.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-02-2008, 10:05
Hey LoneWolf, tell Luna I said Congratulations on finishing her hike and hope to see her at Trail Days.Also give her my congrats. She was an awesome lady, as Skids said 'someone who would be happy no matter where she was'.

Lone Wolf
02-02-2008, 10:32
Hey LoneWolf, tell Luna I said Congratulations on finishing her hike and hope to see her at Trail Days.

will do. she was here at the house last nite. gonna party again today

ScottP
02-02-2008, 13:58
I hiked an 850 mile sectoin of the AT last year and was treated just like a thru-hiker.

bfitz
02-02-2008, 14:30
Thru-hikers are mooches. Don't let them know you have booze, and don't let them see the entire box of snickers in your 60 pound backpack.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-02-2008, 14:37
Not about thru versus sectioners, but since this is section hiker thread (one of the few here): Trailplace.com now has a special area for section hikers to discuss the parts of planning and logistics that are unique to section hikers. (http://www.trailplace.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)

WalkingStick75
02-02-2008, 17:04
Section hiker is a thru hiker wana-be.
Thru hiker is a future section hiker.

orangebug
02-02-2008, 18:39
Couldn't have said it better.

Topcat
02-02-2008, 20:04
Sometimes you meet them and they are just great, sharing people having a great time, other times they seem to feel special and entitled....maybe because they are all different just like every other group in society.

Cant wait to join the club though and learn the secret handshake.

10-K
02-02-2008, 21:12
I just want to have a good time and enjoy myself.. Is that ok or do I need a label?

trailangelmary
02-03-2008, 01:01
Section hiker is a thru hiker wana-be.
Thru hiker is a future section hiker.

Often times a section hiker is a lifetime hiker and some thru-hikers never hike again!

Stardust Walking
02-29-2008, 19:22

DC has it nailed.

I started a thru in 99 and met my wife out on the trail. We hike at very
different speeds and turn a thur-hike into a three year section hike.
6 months on the trail in 1999 and 6 months in 2000 and 4 weeks in 2001 to
finish the trail. We got to know the trail and many of the trail towns and
people very well and had alot of fun doing it. We also spent a few months
as caretaker at one of the trail centers along the trail, but that is another
story or nightmare (the hikers were great!).

I went back to do a solo in 2002.

How you do the trail is up to you and how much free time you have to
invest in hiking the AT (and I do mean invest). If you have the time and
the will, hike the whole of the AT any way you can and have fun doing it.

Terry

SunnyWalker
03-08-2008, 00:19
I sampled the AT this last Summer for one week and hiked GA. I did meet one thru hiker who had thru hiked previously. He was with his girlfrield and a dog they did not control at all. He was real obnoxious and told me all the "rules" of the trail and advice. I did not ask for it and as I am quite experienced, did not need it. I hope all thru hikers are not like this. I am sure they are not. :-)

88BlueGT
04-22-2008, 11:43
envy......

Cherokee Bill
04-22-2008, 18:09

:banana AAAAAAAAAAAmen! :D

Captain
04-23-2008, 04:36
well im not going to say im BETTER than anyone else but a lot of times i see weekend hikers that want so much to do a thru yet don't.. so i WILL say those of us who actually do do it are a degree or two more dedicated towards fulfilling our dreams and yes this is where everyone mobs and is like " what about jobs what about life what about my relation ship!"
1, if you are a good worker you can ALWAYS find work theres a "shortage" of good jobs in this country TRUE but those who are NOT good workers always get themselves replaced by those that are i quit my job in october
2, YEAH what ABOUT life taking time off for a thru isnt pausing on life its TAKING IT TO THE NEXT LEVEL there will simply be people who just dont understand it..accept it
3,your relationship should be one of an intensely understanding bond , personaly when i told the girl i was with of my plans she accused me of being a liar and a cheater and it ended rather badly... which led to me figuring out that while she would in essence "visit" here.. back where she lived she had a FIANCE and they are due to marry next month so it did me a lot of favors already even though i dont leave till july , dont ask her to come if shes not the outdoors type but include her in it.

personally I think that in a lot of ways taking an extended thru hike is a lot like pressing the restart button on your computer over time you can be disillusioned over how well your life is actually working for you..then after you press restart you can see the change from where the computer was running so much slower after being on so long. yet after you "restart, refresh" you can see things a lot more clearly for what they really are. anyone agree? cause i can always ramble more if certain people aren't convinced

Lyle
04-23-2008, 05:24
Only difference is the time available and life's situation.

If someone loves long-distance backpacking, doing a thru is not all that difficult as shown by the folks who have done it, elderly, blind, on crutches, etc.

If someone is only out there to prove something to themselves or others, if they are doing it to challenge themselves then it can be very stressful. This is where the psychological and emotional elements come in.

Personally, I would find a thru to be very relaxing. Hard physical work, yes, at times, but no emotional or psychologic stress. I find it more frustrating not to feel comfortable doing one right now for several reasons. And yes, I do know what to expect.

My guess is that most who have done one or more long-distance hikes, and plan to do more, would agree.

My $0.02 worth.

Captain
04-23-2008, 05:27
so thats what you did with the quarter i gave you to call someone who cares your change sir is $0.23 XD XD im kidding i love people here

Berserker
04-24-2008, 13:09
I'm a firm believer in the "hike your own hike" mantra. Whether you hike the AT in 2,175 separate sections or all at one time you have still done the AT. So in that respect there is not difference between anyone that does it.

For me personally, I don't have the time to take off for a thru. So I decided that instead of just going out and doing random hikes in local areas like I had been doing for the last few years, why not start section hiking the AT. I would like to do a thru on something one day, so perhaps after I retire then maybe I can do the PCT or some other trail since I'll likely have finished the AT.

As for my thoughts on thru hikers, I have only met a few thus far and they were all pretty nice guys. Got to hang with some in a shelter one night on my last trip, and learned a lot about doing a thru from them.

I think someone already said this, but I think the section hiking allows for one to soak in the trail more where the thru hike is nice for the social element (or so I’ve heard). I like the soaking in of the trail part, and I really like seeing different parts of the trail in different seasons.

Undershaft
04-24-2008, 13:15
When I was section hiking in New England last summer about half the thru-hikers I met were jealous of me. They were all trying to make miles and I hiked as far as I felt like going. I had no schedule, no firm goal, no place I had to be. I stopped and enjoyed every view. The thru-hikers would glance over their shoulder at the beautiful vista and continue their trudge up the hill. I think thru-hikers become jaded and appreciate less the natural landscape around them the further north they get. By the time they got to NY, CT, MA pretty much all they were interested in is milage. I met some thru-hikers on Franconia ridge on a beautiful afternoon at the beginning of Sept. and half of them didn't even look beyond the trail at the world around them. All they wanted was to reach the next campsite. It was kinda sad, and I felt bad for them.

musicwoman
04-24-2008, 13:41
It's personal preference. Rude people on the trail are rude people on the trail, whether they thru or section. I've come across both. I've also come across thru and sectioning slobs, litterers, and 2 AT veterans who bragged about how many thru's they did and acted as though they owned the damn trail.

I don't have the desire to accomplish a thru. Part of my enjoyment of hiking is doing it on my terms.

***** anyone that doesn't like it.

HugeHill
04-24-2008, 16:57
I voted other, so in keeping w/ the original premise of this poll, I'll "explain below"

By way of background, I've been a section hiker, started 2005, about 2/3 done. Longest section was 500miles, shortest 60 miles.

Thru-hikers, like all people, come in different modes. While they do seem to be better than the avg lot of people you meet on the trail, I've met some real arrogant pr!cks over the years who look down on anyone who can't take 6 months off to hike.
However, the vast majority have always been pretty cool and good people to chat w/ at shelters, hostels, etc. Bit of distance is always there, but I figure that's just because I'm on vacation and going back to the mundane soon and they're on a totally different plane.
On my 500 mile section, I definitely became accepted by a whole pack of NOBOs and got a different perspective. Mind started to drift and became one w/ the trail. As a member of the group, definitely began to notice different dynamics and a polite, but slightly arrogant view of those just out for a few days. With that in mind, I always try to respect thruhikers when I'm out, but also am keenly aware of the differences between our lifeview at that point.

kolokolo
04-24-2008, 17:00
I''m envious that thru hikers have managed to set aside the months necessary to do the whole trail. Someday...

various
04-25-2008, 11:23
Other - maybe 10 -20% of thrus are elitists who think being a thru makes them oh-so-special , but most are just the same hiker-trash I am with more stamina & time and fewer commitments. If I were physically capable of a thru and didn't have so many family commitments, I would be a thru. Sometime real life gets in the way and my family still comes before hiking for me YMMV.

whos the elitist, real life, a thru hiker isnt really living. and if a person doesnt hold there family higher what then. thru hiking isnt a committment?

Captain
04-25-2008, 11:30
here here ! thru hiking is a SERIOUS commitment.. id choose to get married BEFORE id make a choice to commit to a thru hike hoorah!

Jaybird
04-25-2008, 11:55

We ARE ALL hiker trash!

Its ALL sections...til you piece 'em together...whether it takes 6 months or 20 years :D

"Jaybird & Jigsaw" NoBo Turk Gap to Harpers Ferry Apr 26-May 10

See ya'll out there!

Captn
07-15-2008, 18:18
I've had nothing but great experiences meeting thru's on the trail.

Met em in GA in November while I was section hiking .... great group, very positive, very friendly. Didn't mind stopping for a minute to chat.

Grumpy5280
07-15-2008, 21:12
Thru-hikers may have a special place in their heart for the outdoors and adventure. This I value. As a practical designation of the title of "thru-hiker," I work it this way: If they have completed their hike, then I see them as a thru-hiker. If they are on their way, then more power to them, but they have to finish. Otherwise, "it is what it is" at that point, an incomplete and unfulfilled dream. Since only about 15% of intended thru-hikes result in completion, there is a good chance that the "thru-hiker" you meet in North Carolina or Virginia will be the DNF in Pennsylvania or New York. Now, as for people who desire to thru-hike and are out working at it, I also appreciate that they are "in the hunt." The ability to put dreams into action is virtuous, and that starts with action, not just words and dreams. But there isn't anything really special about them that is somehow worthy of admiration. People out working hard and providing for their family, and raising a nation is admirable. Walking 2100+ miles in 6 months is hard work. So is picking cabbage 6 days a week for 50 weeks a year to feed your family. Hiking of any distance is a recreational pursuit. As for there being any special "vibe" about them, well: Some are running towards life, some are running away from it. Some have the patience and humility of saints; some are self-absorbed, arrogant jerks. Some exude wisdom beyond their years; some are clueless adolescents (at any age). Some are awesome athletes demonstrating their prowess; some are suffering couch-potatoes with more hat than horse. A few are visionary, putting dreams into action. Many are hopeless idealists struggling to find a cause they can rebel with. Some are self-possessed, their responsibility rising from their strength of character won through hard work; some are weak, victims of their own lack of will and their identity as a "special group warranting special treatment." Some are worldly, others naive. Some are as alive as the natural world in which they wander; others are as dead as zombies. And so on. Just like in any place. So no, sorry, I really don't hold thru-hikers (as a class of people) in any special regard. They have to earn it. Walking the AT---even every step of it from Springer to Katahdin---isn't justification alone for any special regard.

Plodderman
07-15-2008, 21:30
I am a section hiker with wife and five kids to put through college so for now longer trips of more than a week or two a year are difficult to navigate but I still get my 150 to 200 miles a year. I really appreciate the through hikers I have met and wish them well. They are a special bunch and I hope they make it or have already made it in years past.

Go through hikers.

Christus Cowboy
07-15-2008, 22:09
I ran into several thrus this past year while doing a section between Carver's Gap to Hampton, TN and have nothing but the utmost respect for them.... I only had one case where I ran into rude thrus but by and large I found them to be good group that genuinely appreciated even the smallest acts of kindness..... That said, I was honored to help them anyway I could whether it was giving them some food or water or just taking their trash bag and packing it out for them.... The way I view it.... you log the miles you have automatically earned my respect unless through some act of disrespect you prove otherwise....

kayak karl
07-15-2008, 22:32
Hhhuummmmm does that mean thu hiking is like.........MARRIAGE:eek:;)
Then section hiking is like.............:-?

Lillianp
07-16-2008, 08:27
As a future "thru-hiker" or at least, getting as far as I can, I'd say that psychologically, there will be a part of my brain that's going to "look down on" anyone who isn't thru-hiking. But then, there's the rest of my brain, the logical, smart part of my brain that knows hikers are hikers, regardless of how long they're out there, be it that day, a few, or longer. States of mind may be different on the actual trail, but we're all drawn to the mountains for one reason or another. The only differences is in how we go about fulfilling that desire.

Worldwide
12-29-2008, 08:45
Seriously the presence of a weekender or section hiker is huge. Outside of the smell of shampoo on a chicks hair as she walks by. You can sense a section hiker as soon as you apporach an 8 man shelter to cook and some dope and his son have the entire shelter, cooking area, sitting area completely spread out with every useless piece of crap an outfitter can strap to their respective backs. The beauty of it is none of the stuff is in use. Just no longer in their back packs or stuff sacks so they can inventory all the stuff the haven't used.

This is when I explain I am here to get water and when I return if there is no room I am going to "Houdini" the picnic table. I have only gotten to show my Houdini technique once. Since there arent any table cloths i just sweep all the tables contents off with my trekking pole into the dirt. Much like a failed magicians attempt at pulling a table cloth off with place settings crashing to the floor. Then you turn to the audience stare the father down like the crazed backpacker I / you might be sit down and eat.

Worldwide

P.S. Noob longdistance hikers tend to have the same problem... attrition rate on long distance hikes is awesome for culling the herd!

Lone Wolf
12-29-2008, 08:58
Seriously the presence of a weekender or section hiker is huge. Outside of the smell of shampoo on a chicks hair as she walks by. You can sense a section hiker as soon as you apporach an 8 man shelter to cook and some dope and his son have the entire shelter, cooking area, sitting area completely spread out with every useless piece of crap an outfitter can strap to their respective backs. The beauty of it is none of the stuff is in use. Just no longer in their back packs or stuff sacks so they can inventory all the stuff the haven't used.

This is when I explain I am here to get water and when I return if there is no room I am going to "Houdini" the picnic table. I have only gotten to show my Houdini technique once. Since there arent any table cloths i just sweep all the tables contents off with my trekking pole into the dirt. Much like a failed magicians attempt at pulling a table cloth off with place settings crashing to the floor. Then you turn to the audience stare the father down like the crazed backpacker I / you might be sit down and eat.

Worldwide

P.S. Noob longdistance hikers tend to have the same problem... attrition rate on long distance hikes is awesome for culling the herd!

if you're such an expert long distance hiker you wouldn't need a picnic table to cook on or a shelter to sleep in. i don't

Lone Wolf
12-29-2008, 09:10
This is when I explain I am here to get water and when I return if there is no room I am going to "Houdini" the picnic table. I have only gotten to show my Houdini technique once. Since there arent any table cloths i just sweep all the tables contents off with my trekking pole into the dirt. Then you turn to the audience stare the father down like the crazed backpacker I / you might be sit down and eat.

an awesome way to get your elitist butt kicked

Plodderman
12-29-2008, 11:01
No problem with anyone who thru hikes and I hope everyone makes it and that they have a great time. I section hike because thats the way it works best for my family and job. Two weeks at a time for I do not know for how many years.

xnav
12-29-2008, 19:18
I admit I envy thru hikers for their priviledge of taking 4-6 months off and hiking the AT. Two in college require money which means work for me. I can only hope to attempt a thru before I am physically unable. I live in Georgia and have only hiked and met hikers between Springer and Davenport Gap and have never met an inconsiderate hiker. If I needed space it was always made available without asking and many times food was also offered. The only thing I have sensed from thru hikers is a fear of not finishing. Maybe the novelty of hiking everyday had not worn off yet and the mental stamina needed to accomplish a thru had not been tested. However, section hikers are not any less accomplished. Hiking in spring, summer, fall, and winter are all availble to section hikers and can make even a one week hike demanding and satisfying. A thru hiker cannot chose his situation, the section hiker does and it is not always a spring weekend with clear weather and 60 degree temps.

Ranc0r
12-29-2008, 19:55
After the second day, section hikers start to begin resembling thru hikers, and we all revert to the wondrous and homogeneous mixture of hiker trash. Weekenders may never lose that home smell/hair/look/..., but after the initial 48 hours, many of the outward differences between section and thru hikers start to erode. As I once heard it, that's why boy scout camp-outs never last more than a weekend - the "Lord of the Flies" instinct to go all feral starts to take hold.

And I ask myself, can't we all just smell along? :sun

Ranc0r

Egads
12-29-2008, 20:02
The biggest difference is the thru hikers hike & I have a job

garlic08
12-29-2008, 20:59
Funny, as a thru hiker I always thought I had it easier than the section hikers. All I have to do is get up and hike every day, the section hikers have to deal with logistics, job, family, pets, car, and sometimes the logistics are horrendous. I met a lot of older folks on the "20-year plan" to hike the AT, and man, do I ever respect that kind of commitment. Plus having to "break in" every year, then get off the trail just as you get there. Section hikers have it tougher, in many respects. Seriously, I'm not patronizing, I mean it.

Tinker
12-29-2008, 22:24
Funny, as a thru hiker I always thought I had it easier than the section hikers. All I have to do is get up and hike every day, the section hikers have to deal with logistics, job, family, pets, car, and sometimes the logistics are horrendous. I met a lot of older folks on the "20-year plan" to hike the AT, and man, do I ever respect that kind of commitment. Plus having to "break in" every year, then get off the trail just as you get there. Section hikers have it tougher, in many respects. Seriously, I'm not patronizing, I mean it.

I, as well as many section hikers, agree. I would love to have the time to do a thru, as I believe it would provide me with a rare opportunity to make almost every decision regarding my life for myself. There are exceptions, of course, no one is completely detached from the umbilical cord of "material" society (resupply, for instance, and contacting non-hikers at home to reassure them that you're ok).
I have yet to have more than a week in a row of lousy weather days (unlike some thruhikers), and I haven't suffered any overuse injuries (except shin splints while doing Ga. - then I got to go home and take it easy).
I would gladly trade all the driving miles for hiking miles, but it isn't going to happen to me unless I'm fit enough (and have my debt paid off) when I retire.
"Break in every year?" In '08, I went on five multiday trips. I had to "break in" five times!:o
Worth it every time!!!!!!!:)

Tin Man
12-29-2008, 23:20
there are all kinds of hikers on the AT and plenty of room for all. just be cool - it's just hiking. :)