PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Trail?

Streamweaver
01-02-2004, 21:33
Is anybody here familiar with the Bruce trail In the Niagara Falls area?? Does it connect with the AT?? I caught the tail end of The show Great Outdoorsman on OLN and they were snow shoeing along the Bruce trail and I thought I saw an AT marker.A repeat of that particular show isnt scheduled until march so I thought Id ask about it on here . Streamweaver

sp00ky
01-02-2004, 22:36
The Bruce Trail does not connect with the AT. It runs approx. 800 Km along the Niagra escarpment to the tip of the Bruce Peninsula in Ontario, Canada.

Info on the trail can be found at

www.brucetrail.org

"The Bruce Trail, Canada's oldest and longest footpath, provides the only public access to the magnificent Niagara Escarpment, a UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve. It is one of only twelve such reserves in all of Canada."

Map here: www.brucetrail.org/explorethetrail.asp?id={459E67E1-7954-433E-B457-71C6BBDD2A5D}

It is one of the longest trails in Ontario, but much of it is on private land, and often connected VIA roads. Different sections of the trail are maintained by "Bruce Trail Clubs" and staffed by volunteers.

The trail logo is a white arrow pointing up, which was probably what you saw.

Hope that is what you were looking for.....

Scott :)

Streamweaver
01-02-2004, 23:19
Yup the white arrow is what I saw ,but I only caught a little bit of the show and I never even thought of Canada I though US for some reason. Thanks alot for the info!!! Thats just what I was looking for!! Streamweaver

sp00ky
01-02-2004, 23:27
No problem...

Took a while but I found the logo

http://www.torontobrucetrailclub.org/images/btlogo1.gif

Scott

EDIT: Wierd, this forum doesn't allow image linking.. oh well if anyone wants to see the logo, just click the link.

Kerosene
01-03-2004, 12:23
I was considering a hike of the Bruce Trail in the 90's but decided against it primarily because of the amount of road walking and the limited camping locations (I was going to go with my mom who wouldn't be able to do high mileage days when needed). It's supposed to be beautiful though.

Lumberjack
01-04-2004, 04:57
If I remember correctly the bruce trail is a 500 mile run from niagra falls north into canada. The finger lakes trail system in NY also runs to niagra and I suspect it travels to the at as well.....

If you dont mind a rather long road walk the fingerlake trail also runs south and passes near the laurel highlands trail which connects to a trail that runs between pittsburgh and DC (Name?) and definately crosses the AT at that point

greyowl
01-05-2004, 10:46
I lived in Ontario from 1976 to 1984 and had the opportunity to hike portions of the Bruve Trail. Most of the sections that I hiked were on the Tobermory Peninsula. Spectracular views, some road walks, small hotels and motels that are very reasonable with the exchange rate. Go for it, nice trail.

Grey Owl