PDA

View Full Version : My stinky Scarpas, Cleaning them?

Jason of the Woods
01-31-2008, 10:01
I bought a pair of waterproof Scarpas. I have only hiked a few times in them. We got caught in a rain storm on a backpacking trip this week and now they stink horribly(I forgot my rainpants). Is there any way to clean them??

mudhead
01-31-2008, 12:21
After they dry, shoot them with Lysol. Small amount.

I had some running shoes that were fine until they got rain wet. PU. Don't know if it was glue, or what, but it was like juniper. Thought I had foot pox the first time it happened.

Jason of the Woods
01-31-2008, 14:39
Yeah, my feet never stink so it caught me off guard.

mrburns
01-31-2008, 15:03
There's a product called "Oder Eaters" in a spray can... I think I bought it at the grocery store. Kill the smell and the bacteria that causes the smell... You could also spray it directly on your feet to help prevent atheletes foot, but this particular can is marketed more toward folks who want their shoes not to smell.

I've used it for a while on my climbing shoes and it works well... I'm also including a can of it in my bounce box on my upcoming first attempt thru-hike.

OCA2
02-01-2008, 01:45
I've heard that you shouldn't wear the same footwear every day. Why not?
Because your feet will stink and your boots will rot.
Next question please...
How inelegantly put!... but true. If shoes or boots are worn every day without being able to get a rest and, essentially, dry out, they start growing bacteria, fungus and all sorts of things. The bacteria, fungus, etc. eventually cause foot odor and cause the leather to deteriorate.
How to prevent this? If you alternate your footwear, and give your boots and shoes a rest between wearings, you will discourage the growth of bacteria, fungus etc. They last longer and stay in better, "sweeter" condition. Your feet are healthier too.
If you have two pairs of boots and alternate wearing them, they will last more than twice as long as a pair worn every day.
In conclusion... it is more expensive in the short run to buy several pairs of boots, but you will be rewarded in the long run because they will all stay in good condition longer.

mudhead
02-01-2008, 11:25
Yeah, my feet never stink so it caught me off guard.

Ha!

(I know what you mean, not like that!)