PDA

View Full Version : Pack for a petite gal

Newb
01-31-2008, 13:27
I have an acquaintance who is looking for the right pack. She's a very petite young lady. Her chief complaint is packs putting too much weight on her shoulders.

I suggested she not rule out an external frame pack, but I really don't know what to recommend for the more diminutive in stature..

Any ideas?

sparky2000
01-31-2008, 13:33
If the real problem is weight on shoulders then a very light pack with a kidney strap will take the weight off the shoulders - frameless. Golite has some of this type. Knowing how to ultralight pack is probably the real task.

whiterockjock
01-31-2008, 13:38
My girlfriend is using a GOLITE Jam2 and loves it. She only carries pack and all gear..8-10 lbs. I carry all water and food for both of us and it works GREAT! Of course you have to be into ultra light gear to start!

partinj
01-31-2008, 13:44
With the right External pack she will not really feel the weight on her shoulders. Don'r forget to messure her torso. If you have a REI nebye you could go campmor has external for youth you might try some of these here is the link with a picture of one that might fit her.
https://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/campmor/manu_list.jsp?manufacturer=44

Mountain Dew
01-31-2008, 13:48
Is she going to thru or do day/weekend hikes THIS will make a difference in the pack she desides on !

This is a simple question to answer either way. Tell her to go to a place that sells backpacks and have somebody there that actually hikes advise them on what pack would best fit her frame. THEN....... do the same thing at about 3 or 4 other places. THEN....decide.... It's that simple :sun

take-a-knee
01-31-2008, 14:36
Get a Bowflex and it won't matter if there is a little weight on your shoulders. Most people reccommend getting the pack last.

Mountain Dew
01-31-2008, 15:13
good advice....!!!!

Mrs Baggins
01-31-2008, 16:01
I'm 4'10", 120 lbs (but trying to get that down to 110 :p) I have a Gregory Jade 50 in a small. Fits me great and I carry 25 lbs.

Miu
01-31-2008, 20:51
I love my Six Moon Designs Comet pack. I'm 5'1, and love that you can adjust the torso length--I had to move my straps way down. It lifts the load off my shoulders really well.

margo
02-06-2008, 11:35
I have a gregory G that I will give away for shipping only. It's a small and is too small for me. Still has the tags on it.

Almost There
02-06-2008, 12:20
Wife is 5ft2 with very small narrow shoulders, she has an Osprey Ariel. We just joined a gym and I am making her lift with me(not my weight, her weight:D) If she strengthens her shoulders and back some the pack won't bother her as much.

I make my wife lift as well as the cardio she likes because I know the extra muscle that she hates working on will make her happier on the trail, because if she ain't happy on the trail then I won't be allowed to be happy either.:rolleyes:

Boose
02-06-2008, 15:07
I'm 4'10" and 107 lbs, more in the hips and less in the shoulders :o, and I've had good luck with a Deuter ACT Lite 35+10 SL (lightweight series, SL is for narrow shoulders). The hip belt is strong enough to transfer nearly all of the weight to my hips, and the torso is adjustable. After removing the lid, extra strappage, sleeping-bag-compartment-divider, and adding a silnylon collar and webbing cinch strap for the top, my particular pack comes in at 3 lbs. There are larger ones from Deuter for similar weight, however.

I also have a women's Jam2, small, and I am still fiddling with it to get it to distribute weight equally between my hips and shoulders. It has a lot to do with how fully it's packed. HTH.