PDA

View Full Version : Day hiker "meals"?

desdemona
01-31-2008, 17:02
Hi,

I think my trips are getting longer. I suppose I will be doing all day hikes by mid-spring. Any ideas on light, easy meals. Please don't recommend MREs. I wouldnt even feed them to my dog. I don't want to be using heat.

Right now I am carrying basically granola or meal replacement bars.

--des

Lone Wolf
01-31-2008, 17:04
Subway subs

Hooch
01-31-2008, 17:05
How about this (http://gizmodo.com/350091/cheeseburg...-ive-ever-seen)? :D

MamaCat
01-31-2008, 17:06
I always like PB&Js with some banana chips and some trail mix with m&ms in it. I also like those propel water mix -ins in my water. yum!

Roots
01-31-2008, 17:14
You got that right, MamaCat! My hubby always makes the best PB sandwiches for the trail. It's a day hike so you can take whatever you want. Surely cold foods won't go bad for a day hike. Or at least I've never had that problem. Try individual cheese sticks (I know, Wolf, you hate cheese:D), pepperoni's, apples, bananas, or whatever else. :)

Lone Wolf
01-31-2008, 17:16
if you're just day hiking then the sky is the limit on chow. i wouldn't bring any hiking type food

gungho
01-31-2008, 17:27
I usually look at Dayhikes as picnics. Just take whatever your heart desires(or stomach)

rafe
01-31-2008, 17:39
Subway subs

subs, sure... but Subway... ?? :rolleyes:

Appalachian Tater
01-31-2008, 17:43
For a day hike, take whatever you want to eat. Cold fried chicken is always good.

Mags
01-31-2008, 17:44
Some wine, a baguette, dark chocolate, cheese and pate. A cute blonde to share it with helps, too....

Rockhound
01-31-2008, 17:59
smoked turkey sandwiches, rosemary flavored triscuits with gooseliver pate, & sharp white cheddar cheese, a smoky cabernet, and chocolate brownies for dessert. (with or without special ingredients)

gungho
01-31-2008, 18:03
if you're just day hiking then the sky is the limit on chow. i wouldn't bring any hiking type food
If that's the case,just strap on a "cooler pack
' and bring along some PBR's:D

mudhead
01-31-2008, 18:12
PB and raisin sandwich.

sarbar
01-31-2008, 19:50
I have been known to ht the deli on the way out of town and get an epic picnic! Heck, why not? I'll take ice packs in summer in a soft sided cooler as well.

In winter and cold dayhikes I take my stove and make lunch on the trail.

kayak karl
01-31-2008, 20:00
try here http://goneraw.com/recipes im not a purist, but some of their wraps are good

bigcranky
01-31-2008, 20:07
Day hikes are great because you can carry stuff that would otherwise need refrigeration -- like those Subway subs. I like to take cheese sandwiches, fresh fruit, hummous and pita bread (with a cucumber and some cherry tomatoes), almost anything in a tortilla or a wrap, smoked salmon, bagels and cream cheese, that sort of thing.

Blissful
01-31-2008, 20:10
smoked turkey sandwiches, rosemary flavored triscuits with gooseliver pate, & sharp white cheddar cheese, a smoky cabernet, and chocolate brownies for dessert. (with or without special ingredients)

This looks good to me but I would skip the pate. :)

bigmac_in
01-31-2008, 20:13
DO NOT take trail food on day hikes. You can take whatever you want pretty much.

oops56
01-31-2008, 20:57
Yeh like hot dogs and a big gas stove he he

Appalachian Tater
01-31-2008, 21:54
Day hikes are great because you can carry stuff that would otherwise need refrigeration -- like those Subway subs. I like to take cheese sandwiches, fresh fruit, hummous and pita bread (with a cucumber and some cherry tomatoes), almost anything in a tortilla or a wrap, smoked salmon, bagels and cream cheese, that sort of thing.

All of those things wil last several days without refrigeration anyway, except for the subs.

LIhikers
01-31-2008, 21:55
A sandwich of Nutella on your favorite kind of bread :)

Bob S
01-31-2008, 22:18
Hard to say what is best as we all hike for different reasons. I like to take a stove with me and stop to cook something. If my son’s going along we have to take one of his stoves so he can fire it up. I hike at a slower pace because of several broken bones from a motorcycle accident. So I’m not so interested in the goal of a higher mileage hike. If you are one that likes to do more hiking a cold meal may be best. On a day hike weight is not a real problem so you are really open to what you can take. Lots of good food at the local grocery store.

desdemona
02-01-2008, 00:40
Some of you folks are obviously *backpackers*-- a bottle of wine, coolers, etc. etc. My day pack right now (minus water) is 5 pounds-- that's with stuff in it (first aid, some emergency stuff, flashlight, etc. etc.)

--des

Appalachian Tater
02-01-2008, 01:33
Some of you folks are obviously *backpackers*-- a bottle of wine, coolers, etc. etc. My day pack right now (minus water) is 5 pounds-- that's with stuff in it (first aid, some emergency stuff, flashlight, etc. etc.)

--des Good golly. Why don't you post a list like people do for a thru-hike? That sounds like a lot of weight.

desdemona
02-01-2008, 01:46
Good golly. Why don't you post a list like people do for a thru-hike? That sounds like a lot of weight.

Includes the pack which I bought at Walgreens (2 for $10)
also rather an estimate. LOL! :)

(yep I understand most of you are thru-hikers and so on. Sorry sorry.):p

--des

Appalachian Tater
02-01-2008, 01:48
Includes the pack which I bought at Walgreens (2 for $10)
also rather an estimate. LOL! :)

(yep I understand most of you are thru-hikers and so on. Sorry sorry.):p

--des

Well, if you're worried about the weight of your lunch then maybe you could cut down on the weight of your other stuff instead. Food's pretty high up in the scale of necessities.

Tennessee Viking
02-01-2008, 02:31
I usually have a set meal. PBJ (grape jelly of course), Powerade, and a granny smith apple. On my maintenance outings, I carry some trail mix for a snack and power bar.

Just for emergencies, I always carry some extra breakfast bars and Propel powder packs.

desdemona
02-01-2008, 10:18
Well, if you're worried about the weight of your lunch then maybe you could cut down on the weight of your other stuff instead. Food's pretty high up in the scale of necessities.

I was more talking about bottles of wine, coolers and the like!! After all that sounds more like a picnic than a day hike in the mountains which can get strenous for someone who has never done this sort of thing. I think the PB&J (though I'm more a PB and honey kind of gal), fruit and so on sounds pretty logical, also cheese.

I think that if I want to seriously cut out weight really the best thing to do would be to get a lighter pack. The pack itself is probably 90-95% of that. (I think the things i carry are logical kind of items. Nothing surprising and on all sorts of lists of top things to carry.) OTOH, I don't think 5 lbs is so bad.

--des

Hooch
02-01-2008, 10:27
A sandwich of Nutella on your favorite kind of bread :)Nutella and banana on honey-cinnamon bread. Yum! :sun

Mrs Baggins
02-01-2008, 10:59
We always stopped at our local grocery deli department and got big thick sub sandwiches, bags of chips, Snickers and apples. We usually just drink water on day hikes. Once my daughter and I did 6 miles on the C & O Canal trail. I took one of those picnic backpacks and filled it with cheeses, baugette, strawberries, and juice. (she's a vegetarian). Another time with friends took along a roast chicken, cheeses, pates, baugettes, and fruit.

sarbar
02-01-2008, 12:08
If you are talking about pack weights....my day pack weighs more than my multi day pack. I dayhike year round so often am in the snow in the mountains. My day pack can weigh in at 18 lbs or so fully loaded. I literally carry everything I would need for a night out minus a tent, sleeping pad and bag. Unlike multi day hiking I carry extra clothing, etc. I'd rather be comfortable over night if I had to than freeze. And yes, I use an internal frame 2,000 ci daypack. Things like crampons, snowshoes and other items for off season add up.

Local dayhikes are different - then I carry a couple pounds in a small pack.

Having a hot lunch should not be overlooked in cold weather though. A small tarp for lunch is also nice in rain.

greentick
02-01-2008, 12:17
How about this (http://gizmodo.com/350091/cheeseburg...-ive-ever-seen)? :D

The downfall of western civilization is complete.

JAK
02-01-2008, 12:38
Hi,

I think my trips are getting longer. I suppose I will be doing all day hikes by mid-spring. Any ideas on light, easy meals. Please don't recommend MREs. I wouldnt even feed them to my dog. I don't want to be using heat.

Right now I am carrying basically granola or meal replacement bars.

--desI would go traditional. Think french bread and cheese and a bottle of wine. You can always water down the wine. Also stuff like oatcakes, dates. I would stick with real food, with the least amount of processing and packaging. Stuff that you can pickup on the way to the trailhead.

Mags
02-01-2008, 12:40

--des

My BACKPACK (minus food and water) is 8-9 lbs.

You are day hiking. You can carry luxuries. :)

On longer day hikes I'll still take wine. ;) (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=36&g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=13116)

This DAY HIKE was 18 miles and 8500' elev gain (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=36&g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=13134).

Of course, I took a little day hike (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=36&g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=12441)where I carried a box of dark chocolates to share...

And so on...

More than being an obvious backpacker, I am of a proud tradition that values food. So there. :p

Mags
02-01-2008, 12:48
OH yes..check out this DAY HIKING menu. (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=36&g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=10123)

14 miles and 4000' elev gain. We call it the Triple Course Challenge.

Appetizers on one peak, Lunch on another. Dessert below a summit.

:D

This photo says it all... (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=36&g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=10131)

Then there was Longs Peak by the full moon where I packed in Chai and coffee cake for the summit (That is a 14300' summit and 14 miles R/T)

Day (and night "day hikes") are meant for hauling in yummy food.

To heck with the weight.

jhick
02-01-2008, 13:05
I like the Perdue precooked chicken to put in my Ramen. Way better than that bag chicken stuff. For a real nice feast, go get a rotisserie chicken. Now you have a pre-cooked meal, and late night snack.

Bob S
02-01-2008, 13:37
I like the Perdue precooked chicken to put in my Ramen. Way better than that bag chicken stuff. For a real nice feast, go get a rotisserie chicken. Now you have a pre-cooked meal, and late night snack.

The pre-cooked chicken mixed in is a good idea, I do this all the time. It really improves the taste.

sarbar
02-01-2008, 18:00
We have a dayhike we love to do: Mother Mountain Loop around a part of Rainier. It is about 17 miles and is a leg and lung killer, gaining many thousands of feet. You see some of the best parts of the mountain. It is the type of trip to take whatever you can shove in your mouth for calories!

My friend Dicentra and I do monthly dayhikes for the sheer purpose of cooking on the trail - we usually pick an easy 5-8 miles and have lunch halfway. And then feed everyone on the trip. And why not? Better than a hard Powerbar anyday!

Appalachian Tater
02-01-2008, 18:06
I was more talking about bottles of wine, coolers and the like!! After all that sounds more like a picnic than a day hike in the mountains which can get strenous for someone who has never done this sort of thing. I think the PB&J (though I'm more a PB and honey kind of gal), fruit and so on sounds pretty logical, also cheese.

I think that if I want to seriously cut out weight really the best thing to do would be to get a lighter pack. The pack itself is probably 90-95% of that. (I think the things i carry are logical kind of items. Nothing surprising and on all sorts of lists of top things to carry.) OTOH, I don't think 5 lbs is so bad.

--des No, 5 lbs. isn't bad and neither is 10, unless you are tiny and it constitutes a good percentage of your weight.k You could just repackage everything. I wouldn't carry something that had to stay really cold but you could freeze some water and use it to keep some food cold and drink it as you go along.

desdemona
02-02-2008, 04:27
If you are talking about pack weights....my day pack weighs more than my multi day pack. I dayhike year round so often am in the snow in the mountains. My day pack can weigh in at 18 lbs or so fully loaded. I literally carry everything I would need for a night out minus a tent, sleeping pad and bag. Unlike multi day hiking I carry extra clothing, etc. I'd rather be comfortable over night if I had to than freeze. And yes, I use an internal frame 2,000 ci daypack. Things like crampons, snowshoes and other items for off season add up.

Local dayhikes are different - then I carry a couple pounds in a small pack.

Having a hot lunch should not be overlooked in cold weather though. A small tarp for lunch is also nice in rain.

Yeah these are local hikes. If I go east from my house, just a short distance and I get to foothills. If you keep hiking maybe a day you could get pretty remote. If you hike up for an hour it you gain a thousand feet or so depending...

I usually run into a number of hikers in various stages of preparedness from the fanciest camelbacks, loki sticks, etc. to some who are not even carrying water. The later is just craziness.

Some of the ideas sound great. Actually I don't drink wine but was just curious about some of your adventures. Nutella tastes good on anything. I could probably spread it over a cactus and eat it. :-) Not recommended though.

--desert des