PDA

View Full Version : how much weight?

jnohs
01-31-2008, 21:37
how much weight could a newbie expect to loose. I know I am physicaly capable of makeing the trek.But I know if I was to do it how much do you think a person would loose?

MOWGLI
01-31-2008, 21:41
Depends on how much you weigh.

Blissful
01-31-2008, 21:42
Depends on your start weight, if you were overweight to begin with, etc. And your metabolism and how the hike alters it. My son Paul Bunyan lost 50 lbs. I lost 30.

Appalachian Tater
01-31-2008, 21:48
What trek? Are you talking about a 5 month hike of 15 miles a day, equivalent to a thru-hike of the A.T.?

It depends on many factors including your weight, fat to lean ratio, metabolism, your caloric intake, how many hours you sleep, and what the weather is like. How long you chew. There are many factors.

I lost almost 20% of my body weight. All of it was fat. I made a special effort to increase caloric intake after losing 8 oz a day for the first month.

Two years later I weigh 2 or 3% more than I did when I began my thru-hike Weight you lose under extraordinary circumstances is easy to gain back.

I believe you would need other reasons to complete a thru-hike than weight loss alone.

rafe
01-31-2008, 21:53
how much weight could a newbie expect to loose. I know I am physicaly capable of makeing the trek.But I know if I was to do it how much do you think a person would loose?

Depends on lots of factors. Thru-hikers have lost upwards of 50 lbs. or more getting from GA to ME. Most weight loss occurs in the first third or half of the trip. But there's no rule... every individual is different. Depends on how many miles per day you do, and on your diet while on the trail (and in town.) Plus lots of other factors.

Rockhound
01-31-2008, 21:54
hiked 1400 miles last year. start weight 195 lbs. end weight 170 lbs.

Footslogger
01-31-2008, 21:57

=================================

Like Mowgli said ...depends a lot on your starting weight and condition. I hiked with a lot of "thin" folks who didn't lost much at all. I personally lost 38lbs by the time I got to Harpers Ferry ...and then levelled off.

Men (in general) tend to lose weight quickly and cut into lean muscle. Women (in general) lose a higher percentage body fat (which they have more of - again, on average - in the first place) and end up becoming very "lean".

'Slogger

ScottP
01-31-2008, 22:15
If you show up in shape and eat right, you won't lose any weight. If you're asking 'do I need to pack on 20 pounds so that I can thru-hike,' then the answer is no.

If you want to thru-hike to lose weight, then get out there and hike. It really depends on how you eat, how you hike, etc.

take-a-knee
01-31-2008, 23:43
A pound of fat equals about 3500 calories. If you burn about 500 cal/day more than you eat, you'll lose a pound per week.

minnesotasmith
01-31-2008, 23:51
I lost over 50 pounds that I needed to lose over the course of my thruhike. Plateaued the last 400 miles.

I know a kid in his early 20s who sectioned from Damascus to Katahdin the same year that desirably lost over 90 pounds.

jnohs
02-01-2008, 00:01
i am in shape but i was thinking this would be a nice side effect of a long distance hike.

Appalachian Tater
02-01-2008, 01:35
i am in shape but i was thinking this would be a nice side effect of a long distance hike. It is, but could you keep it off? The odds would be against you.