PDA

View Full Version : your Opinion, e-vent?

dmb658
02-01-2008, 00:23
So i've been looking around and i have noticed the Integral designs event thru-hikers jacket.

i havent heard much about this material, but it seems like it is very breathable as well as water repellent.

has anyone had any practical use with any of these e-vent jackets(the integral designs in particular) ?

map man
02-01-2008, 01:53
I hiked in the Integral Designs eVent rain jacket last year. I liked it better than my Frogg Toggs jacket for a couple reasons: 1) it didn't snag on the velcro closures on my backpack (that velcro was causing deterioration on the Frogg Toggs every time I took them out or put them in my pack -- the eVent material is smooth and doesn't snag); 2) it seemed to breathe a little better when I was hiking in it in the cold (I wear it over my base layer if it's cold enough even when it's not raining).

But in the one all day rain I hiked in I was soaked by the end of the day. The conventional wisdom is that is because you sweat so much and that moisture on your skin in those conditions is warm sweat instead of cold rain. I'm skeptical. I'm skeptical of ALL so called waterproof breathable material, whether it's goretex, eVent, or whatever. I think if it lets moisture out that it's also letting a little bit in. I don't think moisture magically only travels one way through that breathable membrane (no matter how many fancy illustrations from manufacturers I see showing water vapor from sweat getting out and water droplets from rain not getting in). Otherwise why would I get wetter up around the top of the shoulders first (with goretex, frogg toggs and eVent)? And why don't I get soaking wet from sweat when it's not raining, but I'm hiking in a rain jacket for hours against the cold?

This is not a slam of eVent. I think it's the best I've tried. And these breathable fabrics buy you some time to hike for a while in the rain before you get unpleasantly wet, and that would not be true if you skipped the rain jacket altogether.

take-a-knee
02-01-2008, 08:34
Maybe the pressure of your packstraps could cause a leak?

SlowLightTrek
02-01-2008, 09:32
Had a North Face rain jacket made with this in 2007. Used it all summer and no leaks. It is still waterproof even around the hipbelt and shoulder straps.

I have a Sea to Summit compression sack made of Event fabric that I used for my food. It kept my food completly dry until the squirrels got to it. Duct tape is a good waterproof repair for material though and this bag has alot now.

NorthCountryWoods
02-01-2008, 10:42
I hiked in the Integral Designs eVent rain jacket last year. I liked it better than my Frogg Toggs jacket for a couple reasons: 1) it didn't snag on the velcro closures on my backpack (that velcro was causing deterioration on the Frogg Toggs every time I took them out or put them in my pack -- the eVent material is smooth and doesn't snag); 2) it seemed to breathe a little better when I was hiking in it in the cold (I wear it over my base layer if it's cold enough even when it's not raining).

But in the one all day rain I hiked in I was soaked by the end of the day. The conventional wisdom is that is because you sweat so much and that moisture on your skin in those conditions is warm sweat instead of cold rain. I'm skeptical. I'm skeptical of ALL so called waterproof breathable material, whether it's goretex, eVent, or whatever. I think if it lets moisture out that it's also letting a little bit in. I don't think moisture magically only travels one way through that breathable membrane (no matter how many fancy illustrations from manufacturers I see showing water vapor from sweat getting out and water droplets from rain not getting in). Otherwise why would I get wetter up around the top of the shoulders first (with goretex, frogg toggs and eVent)? And why don't I get soaking wet from sweat when it's not raining, but I'm hiking in a rain jacket for hours against the cold?

This is not a slam of eVent. I think it's the best I've tried. And these breathable fabrics buy you some time to hike for a while in the rain before you get unpleasantly wet, and that would not be true if you skipped the rain jacket altogether.

The way I understand the process....moisture migrates towards dry. So if the air is very dry, moisture inside the jacket will migrate thru a breathable fabric to the outside....if the humidity outside the jacket matches the moisture inside it won't.

And it will never be dryer inside your jacket than outside.

mudhead
02-01-2008, 10:46
Review of this jacket on this site somewhere. Search...

highway
02-01-2008, 11:43
Any of the breathable fabric's micro pores clog over time and are rendered almost useless-some after a really short time- so one should not depend on a fabric's 'breathability' for exiting the humid sweat from one's bod caused by heavy exertion. Instead, choose some rain gear which has a mechanical device built in for doing so. This would be long pit zips for a jacket. And, keep them wide open for all except for the coldest times. One can stay dry in the rain if one can vent the humid sweat.

Kerosene
02-01-2008, 16:37
Review: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10294

Other interesting comments: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12427

I carried the ID eVent Rain Jacket and Pants through the Whites but fortunately it only rained one morning. I definitely prefer eVent over Frogg Toggs and 3-ply Gore-Tex. I'd go with the Thru Hiker Jacket if I was to do it again; the longer tail would definitely help.

Dogwood
02-02-2008, 16:20
I have found e-vent fabric/technology to be the most breathable fully waterproof fabric on the market. Other's research has reached similar conclusions. I have had the opportunity to test and/or own many different rain jackets as well as other gear made from e-Vent. Integral Designs Hooded Thru-Hiker jacket strikes an excellent balance between breathabilty, waterproofness, durability, and weight. However, one needs to understand that no matter how breathable the fabric and/or technology is, or is claimed to be, ALL breathable fabrics/technology that I've ever tested can be overwelmed with moisture! That's why top quality rain gear manufacturers often include pit zips, chest zippers, snaps, drawstrings, velcro closures, vents and panels of more breathable materials to allow additional moisture to escape from inside the rainwear BEFORE the fabric/technology is overwelmed with moisture. I used to automatically jump to the conclusion that the gear or gear manufacturers were always to blame when it seemed it was almost as wet inside the rainwear as was outside the rainwear! I've since learned to employ all the features of a rain jacket to minimize the occurrence of overwelming the fabric/technology with moisture BEFORE it happens. This is not to say that gear manufacturers claims of breathability are not sometimes exaggerated. Sometimes gear manufacturers lay claim to marketing terms and phrases like wicking ability and breathabilty to sell their products.

Like I stated already, ID Thru-hiker jacket has a great balance of features that I appreciate. Personally, I would like to see lite wt. pit zips or a back vent added and the wt. of the jacket come down a bit, although the jacket is not particularly heavy for the features it contains. This can be a bit of a design challenge when you're adding more features and asking to lower the wt. at the same time! As with many proprietary and leading edge fabrics/technology, e-Vent can be pricey. Overall, a great rain jacket that I've employed in mixed weather or cold alpine pursuits where durability(abrasion resistance) were an issue.

dmb658
02-02-2008, 18:05
I've been searching around and it seems to me that the only eVent jacket availible is the ID thru-hikers jacket. Any others that you know of?

highway
02-02-2008, 23:56
With the extra-long pit zips it is tough to beat the inexpensive and lightweight Marmot Precip. Mine is the older and much longer 'Thunderstorm' model they make no longer and it really works well, extending further down than the newer jacket, but, sadly, is seeing its last year or two.

Baum Trigger
02-03-2008, 00:08
I've been searching around and it seems to me that the only eVent jacket availible is the ID thru-hikers jacket. Any others that you know of?

There are other companies who use eVent (the best waterproof breathable membrane on the market) , but they are few and hard to find. They are Rab and Westcomb. Rab is a UK company that makes outstanding gear and clothing. Check them out at www.rab.uk.com. Westcomb (www.westcomb.com) is a canadian based company that actually make their jackets in the Arc'teryx factory. They have much higher specifications than Arc'teryx and make phenomenal jackets (their cheapest jacket is around $350 and they go up to 600 or 700, ouch!). I work in an outfitter who carries both and I would say these two companies are making the best jackets on the market. Check them out if you have time. I would say eVent is the way to go if looking for a waterproof breathable membrane.

WILLIAM HAYES
02-03-2008, 01:15
I have the integral design jacket and think it is one of the best. Backpacking lite has an excellent comparison of several rain jackets- and rates it tops I have been in several downpours with the event and have never been wet-best breathing jacket I have ever owned.