PDA

View Full Version : catskills?

jnohs
02-01-2008, 00:49
does any 1 here usally go hiking in the catskills. I cannot wait for mid april.Gonna set out for a nice long hike.

A-Train
02-01-2008, 01:04
Why wait till April? It's a great time to hike in the Catskills.

I occasionally go, though tend to stay more in the Orange/Rockland country and Harriman areas, closer to my home.

I did a fantastic loop last winter on Slide Mtn in the Catskills.

RITBlake
02-01-2008, 01:24
i'm doing a long weekend there this spring, a friend at work owns a condo on the side of Hunter Mountain and is letting myself and a few friends use it as a home base for a weekend of hiking, biking, and ATV riding. Can't wait.

stranger
02-01-2008, 03:39
When I lived in NY I used to always be in the Catskills. I've pretty much done everything there is to do there other than a few parts of the western cats. May I recommend the following:

- Slide, Wittenburg, Cornell Loop
- Devils Path (this is not easy walking mate)
- Escarpment Trail
- The Blackhead Range with Windham High Peak semi-loop
- Section hike the Long Path through the Cats
- Attempt the bushwack up Southwest Hunter to get an appreciation of why we like to hike on trails!!!!!!!!!! (don't do this without good map/compass skills)
- Hike up Balsam Lake Mountain in the dark on snowshoes and camp near the top - awesome
- You can try to monster day, which includes Slide, Wittenburg, Cornell, Rocky, Lone, 2 others, Table and Peekamoose Mtns - what a day! Keep in mind 4 of those peaks are trail-less bushwacks.
- After any hike try to eat pizza at Brios in Phoencia

I miss the Catskills

STEVEM
02-01-2008, 07:16
When I lived in NY I used to always be in the Catskills. I've pretty much done everything there is to do there other than a few parts of the western cats. May I recommend the following:

- Slide, Wittenburg, Cornell Loop
- Devils Path (this is not easy walking mate)
- Escarpment Trail
- The Blackhead Range with Windham High Peak semi-loop
- Section hike the Long Path through the Cats
- Attempt the bushwack up Southwest Hunter to get an appreciation of why we like to hike on trails!!!!!!!!!! (don't do this without good map/compass skills)
- Hike up Balsam Lake Mountain in the dark on snowshoes and camp near the top - awesome
- You can try to monster day, which includes Slide, Wittenburg, Cornell, Rocky, Lone, 2 others, Table and Peekamoose Mtns - what a day! Keep in mind 4 of those peaks are trail-less bushwacks.
- After any hike try to eat pizza at Brios in Phoencia

I miss the Catskills

Your (2) others are Balsam Cap and Friday.

Hike any trail in the Catskills on a cold clear winter day. You'll be amazed at how blue the sky can be.

Hike to the (5) restored firetowers: Red Hill, Tremper, Overlook, Balsam Lake Mtn, and Hunter.

jnohs
02-01-2008, 12:14
oh no icant stand the cold and it is 3 hours from me so i like it to plan at least 3 night trips. It is just to cold now for that . I might atempt a trip in late march.

horicon
02-04-2008, 16:23
Winter is the best time to hike the Catskills.

jersey joe
02-04-2008, 16:44
I occasionally go, though tend to stay more in the Orange/Rockland country and Harriman areas, closer to my home.

I occasionally go too but usually just go camping/backpacking in Harriman since it is closer. I would go up to the Catskills because it's one of the closest places that allows you to backpack and build a fire legally wherever you want (under 3500 ft)

Tuck
02-05-2008, 15:19
I visit the Catskills regularly. The ice storm from this past weekend was a bit much for me though. Too slippery without a full crampon. It's a great place for multi-day trips too. A buddy and I did Blackhead on Saturday. Then we went into a town for pizza before hiking to a lean-to for the night. It's a great area.

thejackal
12-02-2008, 12:29
http://www.catskillhiker.com/ is a really good resource. catskills are great.