PDA

View Full Version : Pack Recommendation

RANEY
01-03-2004, 01:09
Im fairly new to backpacking, but I think its time for me to purchase my own pack. I hope that you can point me in the right direction.

I have gone a couple of times, borrowing a friend's Kelty pack (not sure what kind, but its internal and about 3500 cubic inches large), and have found its a bit too small for my needs. We go for about four days at a time, and I'm probably carrying too much, but I still need something larger. I have found that i had to strap stuff to the pack awkwardly, and it made it really difficult to hike.

Im looking for something between 4000 - 5500 ci and under $150.00. It doesn't bother me if it's of internal or external design, just as long as it has a place where i can attach my tent and sleeping bag to (so as it doesnt mess with my center of gravity).

I have been looking at the Jansport Carson 80 and like how it is a mixure between internal and external packs. Any thoughts about this pack?

It would be greatly appreciated if you could recommend me other packs that fit my conditions.

(Im 17 and still growing, if that factors into your recomendation)

Valmet
01-03-2004, 09:34
Raney, go to www.rei-outlet.com. You may find what you want there. They have some very good prices on packs. 3 weeks ago I bought a JanSport Rockies II for $95.00. It is a very large pack that I will use for winter hiking. Check that site often you can get some really good deals. This past summer I picked up a Primus cannister stove for $17.00 and last winter picked up a Sierra Designs 15 degree down bag for $89.00. I have been in the process of replacing all my equipment this past year and have not found better gear or prices.

Peaks
01-03-2004, 09:42
Being 17, and still growing, I'd suggest two things.

First, for financial reasons, I'd suggest that you look at externals such as Camp Trails or Kelty Trekker. The reason is that they are usually about 1/2 the price of internals, or less. Also consider store brand backpacks, such as the LL Bean and EMS models.

Second, if you are not doing major trekking, an cheaper pack will work just fine while you gain experience and develop preferences. No need to invest in an expensive pack that you may out grow quickly.

Groucho
01-03-2004, 10:19
Im looking for something between 4000 - 5500 ci and under $150.00. It doesn't bother me if it's of internal or external design, just as long as it has a place where i can attach my tent and sleeping bag to (so as it doesnt mess with my center of gravity).

I have been looking at the Jansport Carson 80 and like how it is a mixure between internal and external packs. Any thoughts about this pack?

(Im 17 and still growing, if that factors into your recomendation)

Try this link (http://www.backcountrystore.com/store/JAN0026?CP=CJPL&AID=10279061&PID=1165328) for a few reviews on this pack. On sale for 100 bucks. I wonder if it doesn't combine the worst of both worlds though, especially when I read that it creaks under load, which is the reason I went to an internal frame. Good weight for pockets and capacity, if the quoted weight is correct. Comes in 2 sizes. I'd definitely would have to try this one on before I bought it.

Backpacker.com has a pack finder; 4000-5000cu. in., 4-5lbs. REI has some for sale in that range.

Mr. Clean
01-03-2004, 13:43
I'll second (or third) looking at Beans or EMS for cheaper packs. Both places have great policies on repairs. I'm also looking for a new pack but am leaning toward Gregory since I'm guessing it's more rugged than the ones I mentioned. I need a good pack for trail work. The EMS Long Trail, about 4500 I think, felt great in the store and lots of outside pockets. Hmm, I might have to look at it again...

whoops
01-03-2004, 16:46
RANEY,
In addition to the stores mentioned by others, www.campmor.com has a lot of packs on sale right now.

chowhound
01-03-2004, 19:19
Let me put in a plug for the Kelty Tornado 4000. It's a little bit heavy (listed at 5lb 7oz) but extremely comfortable and the suspension is easily adjustable for a range of torso lengths. I usually carry a tarp and rain gear in the shovel pocket, which leaves more room in the main pack. Normal full price is $150, but my local Gander Mountain has a few on sale for $100 right now. An internet search should get you some decent deals also.

RANEY
01-04-2004, 00:15
what do you guys think of the forester. I found one for a little over 150 and it looks pretty nice to me, and at 4,700 ci there will be more than enough room for my needs.

whoops
01-04-2004, 01:21
I've got a buddy with an older model forester and he loves it. Not a bad deal at all at just over 150 bucks.

Peaks
01-04-2004, 10:59
what do you guys think of the forester. I found one for a little over 150 and it looks pretty nice to me, and at 4,700 ci there will be more than enough room for my needs.

The Gregory Forester and comparable sized Osprey are popular packs. But you don't usually see them for $150. List is $239.

I suggest that you take all your gear, food, and water to your local outfitter and see how it fits and feels to you.

Kerosene
01-04-2004, 17:52
I just posted a review for the Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone pack under Gear Reviews. At about 3 pounds for up to 3800 cubes and 35+ pounds, it's a nice pack for the "medium light" backpacker. However, I haven't seen it sold for less than $195.

Uncle Wayne
01-05-2004, 02:27
My wife uses a Forester and loves it. She can carry up to 35 pounds comfortably. I bought it for myself on ebay but it was the wrong frame size. Luckily it worked out fine for her. Shop around and maybe you'll luck out like I did. I paid $150 for it nwt (new with tags).

You'll not regret following the advice Peaks gave in an earlier post. Good luck.

Jaybird
01-05-2004, 07:52
[QUOTE=RANEY]Im fairly new to backpacking, but I think its time for me to purchase my own pack.

Im looking for something between 4000 - 5500 ci and under $150.00. QUOTE]

Yo Raney:

do your homework....borrow a few packs....do a load of window-shopping...& then try it on....walk around the outfitter store with it on your back....see how it feels.....then buy....this should be a pack you'll have for a few years.

SInce you're still growing....maybe buying a "used" pack is an option.

i like my local outfitter: Cumberland Transit in Nashville,TN, but have bought a bunch of stuff from REI too.

in fact, the backpack i'm currently using is a REI Morningstar 75 (4500ci). i paid $129......i think they're closing out this model now...so you should be able to buy it @ reduced price. REI also has a the Morningstar 65 & 55 model with smaller c.i. load

see U up the trail in 2004! ;)