PDA

View Full Version : Hiking To McAfee Knob, Tinkers Cliffs, Dragon Tooth

drherb
02-01-2008, 12:48
I need some help with an AT hike that I want to go from Daleville(?) probably in May. I’ve heard we can stay at the Econolodge, leave our cars and walk to the trail. We want to do McAfee Knob (definitely), Tinkers Cliffs and Dragon’s Tooth if not too far off the trail. We probably want to do three overnights and have someone pick us up at a particular spot. We can be flexible. If you have some trip suggestions, shuttles, please send them to the list or off-list ([email protected]). herb

rafe
02-01-2008, 12:52
Maurice Tucker is listed in the ATC shuttle guides, and I can recommend him has a reliable shuttler in that area. He's a trail maintainer with RATC. A good man.

Terry7
02-01-2008, 15:18
That is a great part of the trail. Be sure to take a camera.

D'Artagnan
02-01-2008, 15:25
That's a REALLY nice area. As I'm sure others will mention, don't miss The Home Place Restaurant in Catawba, VA. ;)

Kerosene
02-01-2008, 16:19
The Econolodge is right next to the AT crossing in Daleville.

If you get started by late morning the you might consider overnighting at the Lamberts Meadow Shelter, 9.4 miles from Daleville. You'd hit Tinker Cliffs early the next morning, and then McAfee Knob later that day.

On the second night you could stay at the new Boy Scout Shelter and maybe catch a lift down to The Home Place for dinner, as the shelter is only a mile from the road.

It's perhaps another 8 trail miles to Dragon's Tooth, and then you'll have to backtrack a mile or two to get back to a road to hitch to your car, but the climb and view are worth the effort.

This is one of the most scenic sections I've encountered, with a lot of payback for the effort. Enjoy!