PDA

View Full Version : a little help...

corialice81
02-01-2008, 15:29
Okay...
I've got my gear...check!
Got a starting date...check! April 19th

Problem:
I'm sitting at home and I'm trying to plan my maildrops and how much food to buy for 165 days.

Any advice? I keep having to stop because I'm getting overwhelmed. My sister is going to dehydrate food for me and mail it to me during the hike. I'm going with freezer bag cooking. I want to split it up half and half (half maildrops/half go to town and purchase). I've only hiked 4 days in the SMNP before now....help!

I need some direction :)

Jack Tarlin
02-01-2008, 15:33
Have a look at the "Re-Supply" information in the Articles section of this website.

There's lots of info there on how much food to carry for each section of the Trail.

You'll also see that there are lots more places to buy food than you might think; while you might be getting a good deal of food from home, especially if you're into dehydrating, you should be aware that most folks, for all sorts of reasons, prefer to do much of their food shopping while en route, rather than rely on stuff bought or prepered months ahead of time.

warraghiyagey
02-01-2008, 15:33
Overplanning can work against the experience. Don't be a slave to the process of hiking the trail. Have sis send along food drops as you discover your pace. Much less nerve wracking.
Have a great hike!!
:welcome

Skidsteer
02-01-2008, 15:34
Check out the articles section on the Home page.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=95199&postcount=1

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/articles/resupplybook.pdf

http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=postoffices

corialice81
02-01-2008, 15:38
I do tend to over analyze situations...I just finished graduate school this past august so I still have a tendency to analyze and analyze again.

quick question...do you think it would be possible to hike into trail days in damascus, va if I start hiking from the state park on april 19? I do realize that I could just hitch a ride from wherever I am and then go to trail days and just hitch a ride back to where I was before BUT I was just curious if it could be feasible.

warraghiyagey
02-01-2008, 15:39
Depends on your pace. Don't be a schedule slave on the trail either. Enjoy and let it unfurl before you.:sun

corialice81
02-01-2008, 15:42
Thank you so much Jack, warraghiyagey, and skids for the information. I can't wait for April 19th to get here!

A-Train
02-01-2008, 15:43
I do tend to over analyze situations...I just finished graduate school this past august so I still have a tendency to analyze and analyze again.

quick question...do you think it would be possible to hike into trail days in damascus, va if I start hiking from the state park on april 19? I do realize that I could just hitch a ride from wherever I am and then go to trail days and just hitch a ride back to where I was before BUT I was just curious if it could be feasible.

It starts on May 16th of this year, so that would give you like 27 days. Not likely, though possible. Most folks take between 35-45 days. Took me 39.

I'd say take your time, enjoy. If you get there in 27 days great. If not, get a ride from someone going there (Miss Janet in Erwin, Bob Peoples at Kincorra, the guys at Bluff Mtn Outfitters in Hot Springs?)

ScottP
02-01-2008, 15:44
yeah, that'd be pretty feasible--a bit more than a month to cover a bit under 500 miles.

It's best not to do too much pre-planning if you don't have a lot of hiking experience. You don't know your pace, what kind of food you'll want, etc., and you can't learn your own personal preferences from others.

You could put together a whole bunch of meal options at home and phone in food 'orders' to your sister as you hike--just make sure that the meals you make have good nutritional value, taste good enough to eat on the trail, are easy to prepare, and will keep.

The better option is probably to resupply as you go. If you don't like that, you could take a few days off in south or central Virginia and put together mail drops for the rest of your hike. That way you'll have some mileage under your belt before you try to plan out food quantities, preferences, and pace.

Priority flat rate boxes are your friend.

warraghiyagey
02-01-2008, 15:44
Thank you so much Jack, warraghiyagey, and skids for the information. I can't wait for April 19th to get here!
Hope to see you on the trail.:sun
SOBO8

Jack Tarlin
02-01-2008, 15:54
The information you've received so far has been correct. Most folks are in the Erwin area after 30 days of hiking. However, since you're on a 165 day pace instead of the usual 180-185, I think it's likelier you could be a bit past Erwin. I'd get a ride from Bob Peoples who runs Kincora Hostel, who'llalso give you a ride back. Or if you're lucky enough to meet Miss Janet Hensley in Erwin (a great friend to the hiking community) you might be able to hook up with her somewhere North of Erwin and catch a ride with her. You just might be able to make it to Damascus in 27 days of hiking, but I think this would require faster hiking than you'll want to be doing. I'd plan on getting a ride to Damasacus, and then getting a ride back afterwards; as others have said, this is very easy to do, whether you are in Hot Springs NC, Erwin TN, Hampton TN or elsewhere.

corialice81
02-01-2008, 15:57
You all have amazing knowledge...thank you so much!

I think I'll take my time and if I get there great. If not, I'll get a ride.

Kirby
02-01-2008, 16:43
I second Jack's resupply article, I used that to over haul my entire food plan for my trip, use that in combination with a thru hiking guidebook, and you are good to go for planning resupply.

Kirby

Chaco Taco
02-03-2008, 12:54
For 09, Im going with buy as you go since th resupply options just seem more logical. As has been mentioned before in this thread as well as other son teh topic, sometimes, you send your food to yourself and you may just be sick of the same old crap. Plus, buying as you go lets you help out those that help us hikers in these trail towns.
Why not limit the amount of mail drops you do with the stuff you really really like?? Plus, Im sure its nice to get a package from home for those tough days.

rafe
02-03-2008, 13:03
I'm sitting at home and I'm trying to plan my maildrops and how much food to buy for 165 days.

Find something else to keep yourself busy. Maybe a hike or two.

Maildrops are highly over-rated. Except for a few essential items that you can't get locally (eg. maps, guides) it's best to minimize them.

Who's to say you'll make it for 165 days? And even if you do (and I hope you do) then who's to say you'll still enjoy eating the stuff you packed seven months earlier?

Food resupply is no big deal on the AT. Relying heavily on maildrops for food resupply is silly, IMO -- unless you have serious dietary issues or something like that.

corialice81
02-06-2008, 17:58
Actually, I'm quite busy right now. I just happened to have that particular day off due to ice and winter weather so I thought I could get some advice and comforting words from users on this site.

I'm working 4 jobs to save money for the trip: money for the actual trip and money to pay for bills while i'm on the trip. As far as maildrops, it's cheaper IMO and I also get food you can't find in town (healthy food). I met a thru hiker last year in Erwin and I took him to the food market to get supplies...he bought junk food and said that was all he could get....gross. So I'm totally into the food drops.

Secondly, terrapin, I WILL finish the trail. My advanced planning is to make a successful thru hike. My sister is on call and I have 100s of recipes. So, as my food preference changes, my sister can change what she is sending me.

I just wanted advice on the parameters I set at the beginning of the thread (i.e. mail drops, FBC) from those that have completed a thru hike.

jzakhar
02-06-2008, 18:05
I second Jack's resupply article, I used that to over haul my entire food plan for my trip, use that in combination with a thru hiking guidebook, and you are good to go for planning resupply.

Kirby

ditto, basically printed it and used a highlighter. ill just pack the pages in waterproof bag...

corialice81
02-06-2008, 18:07
Yeah, I've been reading those as well. They are excellant. Thanks Jack!

ScottP
02-06-2008, 18:21
I'm working 4 jobs to save money for the trip: money for the actual trip and money to pay for bills while i'm on the trip....
Secondly, terrapin, I WILL finish the trail.

Yes, you will finish the trail. Enjoy!

corialice81
02-06-2008, 18:25
ScottP,

Thanks for the encouraging words!

Blissful
02-06-2008, 20:41
I just wanted advice on the parameters I set at the beginning of the thread (i.e. mail drops, FBC) from those that have completed a thru hike.

Don't worry about other people's negativity. You have a SUPER attitude. Way to go. It will be the trip of a lifetime and you are fine with planning some things out so you can enjoy. Most here on WB don't do mail drops, just to let you know. We did a combinaton ourselves for nutrition sake (as well as getting my meds and personal supplies, etc) and it worked out well.

On my blog (http://blissfulhiking.blogspot.com) I go over the towns that we liked and what we did.

As for maildrops, this is where we sent: (some my hubby brought to us)

Neels Gap - hubby brought but you can send drop to the outfitter
Unicoi / Hiawasee- my hubby brought but have good grocery store
Franklin- you can maildrop at the PO or shop. Ron takes you to both
NOC - Mail drop to outfitter
Fontana Dam - we went to the Hike Inn which shuttles to Robbinsville. We also dropped at the Inn.
Standing Bear Farm - mail drop
Hot Springs - mail drop and a Family Dollar there
Erwin - hubby brought, Supercenter there for resupply but out of the way
US 19E - mail drop to the hostel - Mtn Harbour B&B, you pay for shuttle to stores and PO
Kincora - mail drop, but they shuttle to town for shopping
Damascus - mail drop to PO but you can buy there
Atkins - hard hitch to PO, some convenience stores at Interstate, we paid $5 to drop at the Relax Inn
Bland - my hubby supplied, but services there
Pearisburg - we dropped at a friend's, but services there
Daleville- great grocery and outfitter, don't plan a drop here
(we then went home, slacked, etc) so check on this area. Some resupplied at Glascow and Beuna Vista (hard hitch). Waynesboro is good for resupply and awesome outfitter. Limited supply in SNP. Front Royal, but need to hitch
Harpers Ferry - maildrop at PO
Pine Grove Furnace SP - maildrop to Ironmasters
(if needed probably could drop at Boiling Springs. We didn't)
Duncannon - maildrop to PO, they also make a grocery run
Port Clinton - mail drop to PO
Palmerton - great place for supplies or mail drop if needed
DWG- Maildrop at PO
High Pt State Park accepts mail drops (we didn't)
Unionville - mail drop to PO
In NY we got supplies from my hubby. Convenience stores in this area are expensive for resupply.
Kent, CT - Mail drop to PO
Salisbury - you can drop here or they have a grocery store
Dalton, MA - mail drop or buy (we went to Cheshire instead)
Cheshire - mail drop at PO
MA 2 - good supermarkets here
Manchester Center - mail drop to PO or you can buy.
US 4 - you can buy in Rutland if needed. Buses available. We dropped at the Inn at Long Trail.
Hanover - mail drop to PO, or buy at the co op
Glencliff - mail drop to PO
Franconia Notch - if you stay at Chet's you can buy in Lincoln
Crawford Notch - mail drop to campground
Pinkham Notch - mail drop to AMC office
Gorham - mail drop to PO or buy (Wal Mart supercenter here with town shuttle)
Andover - we sent our box to The Cabin but they are closing.
Stratton - maildrop to PO or buy at grocery store
Caratunk - this one is tricky. Might see if the Norhtern Pines resort will take a mail drop since the Ferryman is closed and he had a store.
Monson - mail drop to PO (store limited for the 100 mile wilderness, IMO)
Abol Bridge - store there

Pony
02-07-2008, 13:48
I'm doing a combination of mail drops and town resupply. What I have done is taken the companion and Baltimore Jack's resupply article and made a list of possible town stops along the way, most about 50 miles apart. I then highlighted towns where I want to stay overnight, and used those towns for my mail drops, that way if something happens with my mail, I will not lose a day, because I was planning on staying there anyway. Now this gives me the option to resupply every 2-4 days if I need to, and I don't have to look through my companion to see where the next possible resupply is. I don't plan to resupply this often but is will serve as a cheat sheet while on the trail if I need to adjust my schedule. I plan on getting it laminated and keeping it somewhere convenient so that my options are always close at hand.