PDA

View Full Version : Crocs Recycling

trailangelmary
02-01-2008, 15:37
Always good when we can keep things out of the landfills. Soles United is taking old crocs and making new crocs not to be sold as retail but instead to donate to needy countries. Check it out at http://www.solesunited.com/

warraghiyagey
02-01-2008, 16:34
Good post TMA. They can also be used for traction under tires of misplaced cars.
:p

envirodiver
02-01-2008, 18:20
I'm sure that all the starving people that are dying of dysentary will be delighted to have a pair of spanking new/recycled crocs. They'd like them a lot more if they could eat them or better yet maybe sell the recycled crocs to the general public and use all of the money to buy food and medicine and give that to those people.

Nah probably makes a better story giving them shoes. I can see the commercial now.

SlowLightTrek
02-01-2008, 18:41
It doesn't look like they want any shoes to me.

berninbush
02-01-2008, 18:47
I'm sure that all the starving people that are dying of dysentary will be delighted to have a pair of spanking new/recycled crocs. They'd like them a lot more if they could eat them or better yet maybe sell the recycled crocs to the general public and use all of the money to buy food and medicine and give that to those people.

Nah probably makes a better story giving them shoes. I can see the commercial now.

Get a grip. Not everyone who lives outside the US/ Western Europe is starving. Not all of them are poor, for that matter. There are plenty of people in the world who get by with enough food and shelter but not much money for new clothing. It's common to make shoes out of old tires, or to go barefoot. Of course, going barefoot all the time increases the risk of picking up things like hookworms, or foot injuries, or other health problems. Giving someone sturdy, serviceable shoes meets a legitimate need.

Appalachian Tater
02-01-2008, 18:51
Tire sandals are better than crocs. More comfortable, longer-lasting, cheaper, better-looking.

envirodiver
02-01-2008, 18:55
Are you saying that the people in Haiti need Crocs more than other things? That is where the video says they are going is it not? How about medicine? How about clean water?

berninbush
02-01-2008, 19:51
Are you saying that the people in Haiti need Crocs more than other things? That is where the video says they are going is it not? How about medicine? How about clean water?

I'm sure they need all those things, in varying degrees. The fact that they're being given Crocs doesnt' preclude other forms of aid. Having shoes might prevent the need for some medicine by protecting them.

I'm sure the Haitians will be happy to have them.

Montego
02-01-2008, 19:56
I'm poe too :( and still need a pair of cheap camp shoes. How about sending a pair of these recycled "Crocks" to me? Heck, I'd even do some sort of Haitian rain dance for um :D

John Klein
02-01-2008, 20:00
Recycling old Crocs was the task on last night's episode of "Celebrity Apprentice". (Note to self: too much time watching TV, not enough time hiking...)

Tin Man
02-01-2008, 20:22

I'm sure they need all those things, in varying degrees. The fact that they're being given Crocs doesnt' preclude other forms of aid. Having shoes might prevent the need for some medicine by protecting them.

I'm sure the Haitians will be happy to have them.

I agree BB, but who knows how happy they will be. And I am pretty sure that old Crocs cannot be recycled into medicine or clean water.

Topcat
02-01-2008, 20:22
Envirodiver,
I lived in a town called Pedro Santana for a couple of years. Look it up on the map, it is right on the Haitian border. I saw that place first hand and can vouch that they do have a need for food and clean water. They also need education programs, jobs, nurses, agriculture help and, believe it or not, clothes and shoes. Crocs makes shoes so that is what they are giving. They are also giving people something new, which many of them may never have had before. I saw many a kid make a sandle out of string and a crushed milk carton, which would you rather wear to walk a half mile to get water for your house?

It is ok to be cynical, I certainly am, but there is nothing wrong with giving shoes and if you want, go to the Peace Corps web site and apply, they accept one person in 7. Maybe you can go to Haiti and help too.

Blissful
02-01-2008, 20:32
Only on WB can useful info be turned into a mad argument about whether third world nations "need" shoes.

If you don't want to donate the crocs, you don't have to.

I'm just glad there's a place that accepts the things and will recycle them. I have quite a few sitting here, but they are knock-offs. Wonder if they accept them also. And rubberized sandals like reefs too. (?)

ChinMusic
02-01-2008, 20:36
This story strikes me as style over substance and a story to make someone feel good. What difference this means in the grand scheme of things is nil.

warraghiyagey
02-01-2008, 20:53
Is it me or did Trail Angel Mary start a really nice thread here, that wasn't pretending to solve the world's problems??
Good thread TMA!!!:):sun:sun

ChinMusic
02-01-2008, 21:00
I guess every little bit helps as long as one doesn't burn a gallon of fuel getting them there. Any idea if anyone/company is recycling old pencil erasers?

mweinstone
02-01-2008, 21:10
trail angel marys a croc. a croc of goodness and candy with just a pinch of habenaro.
oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxmatthewski

warraghiyagey
02-01-2008, 21:18
trail angel marys a croc. a croc of goodness and candy with just a pinch of habenaro.
:):):):)

envirodiver
02-01-2008, 22:06
OK I stand corrected with my butt burning and my head down.

I guess I am cynical that when a company does something like this and advertises it so...it gives me a feel of not so philantrophical as advertisical.

My bad I guess it's just me. I had this vision of a malnourished kid with a big toothless grin on his face showing off his new crocs in an advertisment. I'm sure they won't use that though. It's probably just my general lack of faith in the goodness in mankind.

warraghiyagey
02-02-2008, 01:55
It's probably just my general lack of faith in the goodness in mankind.
I've never met Trail Angel Mary.
But the name alone makes me want to get with her ideas when they come along. . . and defend them when they are treated poorly.;)

jrwiesz
02-02-2008, 08:34
...a feel of not so philantrophical as advertisical.
I'd have to agree, somewhat. And as ChinMusic stated, "How much fuel to send it over there?"
What really gets me is, aren't there any worthy chidren in our own country that are deserving? Why is it we have to "Save" the world. No shoeless children in Appalachia? LA? New York?
I think we should take care of our own first. And by that I don't mean with subsidies; give them goods, some of them may use them.
Just my opinion...and you know what they say about opinions.:-?

trailangelmary
02-02-2008, 12:15
Maybe we can get recylced crocs to shoeless children in the US. Is there a link on that page to contact them? I'll be checking.

It's probably just my general lack of faith in the goodness in mankind.

In seven years of helping hikers as they come through Duncannon, I can't count the number of hikers who have told me hiking the trail has restored their faith in mankind.

I've never met Trail Angel Mary.
But the name alone makes me want to get with her ideas when they come along. . . and defend them when they are treated poorly.

Thank You.

trailangelmary
02-02-2008, 12:15
Good post TMA. They can also be used for traction under tires of misplaced cars.

Good one....LMAO

dessertrat
02-02-2008, 12:18
Always good when we can keep things out of the landfills. Soles United is taking old crocs and making new crocs not to be sold as retail but instead to donate to needy countries. Check it out at http://www.solesunited.com/

Retread crocs? Cool. But if I had a pair of crocs with the soles worn out, I could take a piece of mountain bike tire and some shoo goo and keep wearing them myself.

dessertrat
02-02-2008, 12:22

On the contrary, people in the third world often really need shoes. My earlier remark about keeping crocs and putting some bicycle tire on them to extend the life was based upon what some folks in the third world actually are forced to do.

If you're poor in a desert or jungle country with limited medical resources, keeping your feet from getting injured is important, and some people really are too poor to afford shoes. That's why you often see tractor tire sandals on folks in Africa.

This is a noble effort to keep our waste from just being waste, and to give people shoes, and that's no croc.

dessertrat
02-02-2008, 12:25
I'd have to agree, somewhat. And as ChinMusic stated, "How much fuel to send it over there?"
What really gets me is, aren't there any worthy chidren in our own country that are deserving? Why is it we have to "Save" the world. No shoeless children in Appalachia? LA? New York?
I think we should take care of our own first. And by that I don't mean with subsidies; give them goods, some of them may use them.
Just my opinion...and you know what they say about opinions.:-?

They have other resources to get them shoes, and crocs aren't exactly an all weather choice for New York City. I don't see any shoeless children in the United States, even the poor ones in Appalachia. Some people in other countries have absolutely nothing. No welfare, no job, no income, and very little opportunity to improve their lot.

trailangelmary
02-02-2008, 12:26
http://www.freecycle.org/

I also belong to this group that includes people that want to share something with someone else who may need it. It also helps keep things out of our landfills. It's like a yard sale on line but everything is free. I belong to specifically HarrisburgFreecycle. You can search for the nearest Freecycle group in your area.

JAK
02-02-2008, 12:39
I hate to be cynical, but I don't like mixing our overconsumption and wastefulness marketing with our misplaced and misguided philanthropy. OK, I love to be cynical, but I still don't like mixing our overconsumption and wastefulness marketing with our misplaced and misguided philanthropy.

As far as footwear in tropical and equatorial regions, if there is a need for them it is because of problems such as ringworm and so forth because of poor sanitation etc. Any assistance needs to go much deeper than sending them our used and recycled shoes. The first things we should look at are ways to get off their backs, then we might not need to help them to their feet.

dessertrat
02-02-2008, 13:07
What do you mean "we", Jak?

I'll keep my fingers crossed that they get the sort of help you think they need. And by the way, walking across stone or sand in the desert without shoes is impossible in some areas, no matter how tough your feet are. That's why the sandal was invented some thousands of years ago.

JAK
02-02-2008, 13:15
Just you and me dessertrat. Just you and me. ;)

I understand they don't go barefoot all the time, but there are far more sustainable solutions for these folks than the garbage we are producing these days. We should be going over their to learn from these folks, rather than continuing with our misguided missionary ways.

envirodiver
02-02-2008, 22:56
OK everyone I guess I was the proverbial T*** in the punchbowl on this subject and I'll see if I can dig out. To trailmaryangel there are a lot of people that think very highly of you and I respect that. My response was NEVER meant to be a slap at you.

When I went to the link and watched the video (have you guys done that?) I heard "shoes are more important than food or medicine to many of these people in need" by some jackass celebrity. I also heard and viewed a number of things that speak to me of corporate marketing peoples attempts at sales.

Stay with me for a moment: I have a pair of crocs...love them...they are indestructible. There is the rub. In the video they show people dumping their "old worn out crocs, in the tub". They zoom in on the soles of these shoes. There is a bunch of tread left on all the shoes they show that are being discarded. So...the message is that these shoes are worn out.

Now move to the board room where the marketing execs for crocs are trying to figure out how to get all of the happy crocs wearers to buy another pair, because they need/want more sales. However, if these happy croc customers feel that their shoes are worn out... and better yet that their recycled shoes are going to a good cause...since the shoes are so great...they will drop the old ones...AND BUY A PAIR OF NEW ONES. Thus corporate profit.

I still don't understand as I posted earlier, why they just don't market the recycled crocs (which in today's green environment should be marketing attractive) and then buy food/medicine/ water treatment, etc. that could directly effect people immediately.

Again trailangel mary I'm sorry if It seemed that my cynicism was attacking you.

Guys if you still feel that I am just a heartless old sumbich that don't want these people to experience the glory of crocs...OK. But, I'm jaded and maybe need to get over it.

JAK
02-02-2008, 23:03
I'm with enviridiver.
I'm not questioning the good intentions of regular folks,
but when it comes to Marketing Execs, well, a crocs a croc.

trailangelmary
02-03-2008, 00:51
To trailmaryangel there are a lot of people that think very highly of you and I respect that. My response was NEVER meant to be a slap at you.

Now move to the board room where the marketing execs for crocs are trying to figure out how to get all of the happy crocs wearers to buy another pair, because they need/want more sales.

First of all Envirodiver, don't worry. I have been on White Blaze long enough to know that a thread started here always opens lots of other subjects. No offense taken. I have developed thick skin at my age.

Secondly, I would never buy a pair of crocs. My first shoe of that kind was Waldies (the original). A hiker turned me on to them. My feet used to hurt all the time (on my feet constantly with my work at that time). My feet don't hurt anymore. I found a site online where they are much cheaper and I like them. I buy my shoes once a year fromAllHeart.com when they are on sale for $10.00 each pair. So, I get 4 pair for the price of one pair of crocs. I am a penny pincher because I am in the lower income level. And when I recycle my Waldies I will send to the site mentioned at the beginning of this thread.

When the subject of these types of shoes comes up and I hear locals talk about how they heard they are bad for the feet, I tell them that is because people are now buying those bad imitations from Walmart,Kmart, dollar stores etc.

I have found the conversation here very interesting. I am not as intelligent or as politically aware as most of the visitors here but I like to learn something new everyday and am learning as I read this thread.

I did splurge this past summer and buy some of those things you put in the holes of Waldies/crocs to dress them up. (Sorry, I forget the name) Anyway, I bought a number 24 for Jeff Gordon and a seashell.

Also, I did not watch the video because I have dial up. I just did the reading.

Okay, I babbled on enough and covered several more topics under the main heading for us to discuss. LATER

A-Train
02-03-2008, 01:20
First of all Envirodiver, don't worry. I have been on White Blaze long enough to know that a thread started here always opens lots of other subjects. No offense taken. I have developed thick skin at my age.

Secondly, I would never buy a pair of crocs. My first shoe of that kind was Waldies (the original). A hiker turned me on to them. My feet used to hurt all the time (on my feet constantly with my work at that time). My feet don't hurt anymore. I found a site online where they are much cheaper and I like them. I buy my shoes once a year fromAllHeart.com when they are on sale for $10.00 each pair. So, I get 4 pair for the price of one pair of crocs. I am a penny pincher because I am in the lower income level. And when I recycle my Waldies I will send to the site mentioned at the beginning of this thread.

When the subject of these types of shoes comes up and I hear locals talk about how they heard they are bad for the feet, I tell them that is because people are now buying those bad imitations from Walmart,Kmart, dollar stores etc.

I have found the conversation here very interesting. I am not as intelligent or as politically aware as most of the visitors here but I like to learn something new everyday and am learning as I read this thread.

I did splurge this past summer and buy some of those things you put in the holes of Waldies/crocs to dress them up. (Sorry, I forget the name) Anyway, I bought a number 24 for Jeff Gordon and a seashell.

Also, I did not watch the video because I have dial up. I just did the reading.

Okay, I babbled on enough and covered several more topics under the main heading for us to discuss. LATER

We could use more of your honesty, interest and good-heartedness around these parts. Good post.

JAK
02-03-2008, 01:44
We could use more people like trailangelmary that actual do good deeds instead of just thinking about it all the time like me. I admire these folks that take stuff with them to give away when they go south on vacation. It's easy to be cynical about jet fuel and all that crap until you realize they are a real person that actually gets face to face with another real person and that person real son or daughter or cousins get some clothes or schoolbooks or a radio or toy or something like that and real friggin appreciates it because the person can't wait to go back the next year and do it again and again. I wish I could afford to go south again but I wish even more I had had the balls to do something like that time I went down there.

Topcat
02-03-2008, 07:56
We could use more people like trailangelmary that actual do good deeds instead of just thinking about it all the time like me.

Very true, thank you trailangelmary for the help that you give others.

And as for the other, at least you admit that you just think about it....why dont you go ahead and do something. Anyone can be a critic.

http://www.peacecorps.gov/

http://www.americorps.org/

http://www.habitat.org/

http://www.greenpeace.org/usa/

http://cms.komen.org/komen/index.htm

There are all kinds of ways to help all kinds of people. Choose one of these or one of the thousands of other organizations that try to help people and give the most imporant resource of all, your time. You too Enviro.

Topcat
02-03-2008, 08:28
or if you dont want to get up and do something, just sit there and let your hair grow,

http://locksoflove.org/

of course maybe your consider Nexxus an evil corp entity who couldnt really help people.