PDA

View Full Version : What do you use for a bear/critter bag?

Passionphish
02-01-2008, 17:40
Simple as that... What is everyone using to hang their food on the AT? Or anywhere else for that matter...

Looking for ideas. Thanks!

Lilred
02-01-2008, 17:43
Get yourself a food bag with a strap along the bottom, that way you can hang your foodbag upside down and if it rains, it won't go inside the bag.

envirodiver
02-01-2008, 18:14
If you use the search function and type in "Bear bag" you will find tons of info on what to use, why to not hang food, why to hang food, etc.

SlowLightTrek
02-01-2008, 18:45
I used a Sea to Summit Event waterproof compression sack. It has 10 holes which are duct taped right now. Still waterproof though. If you don't want critters go for the Ursack made of kevlar. A bit heavier but mice, squirrels, and bears wont get into it.

Appalachian Tater
02-01-2008, 18:46
OR Hydrolite. If you're worried about little critters get a large plastic coffee container.

SlowLightTrek
02-01-2008, 18:53
OR Hydrolite. If you're worried about little critters get a large plastic coffee container.

You had luck with plastic coffee cans?

minnesotasmith
02-01-2008, 18:59
At www.ursack.com (http://www.ursack.com) . Is proof against bears, mice, squirrels, raccoons, etc., chewing through. Used one on my whole thruhike. Will use one in all future overnight hiking.

John Klein
02-01-2008, 19:57
The book "Lighten Up" suggests an empty gallon paint can for keeping critters out (not bears).

Montego
02-01-2008, 21:12
I just use the nylon stuff sack that my AreoBed came in. It has a nylon carrying strap attached on one side and a draw string closure with lock. I put my food into an XXL Zip-Loc bag which keeps it all dry, then into the nylon bag.

I clip the strap onto my bear line (paracord) using a carbiner on one end and a Monkey Fist Knot enclosing a golf ball on the other end (used for throwing over a limb).

For rodent protection, a slick plastic Frisbee is resting on the carbiner above the bear bag with the paracord running through a hole in the center of the Frisbee. I hang the whole thing using the PCT method of bear bagging.

Chuck
Master of Dirt-bagging!

bigcranky
02-01-2008, 21:21
Ursack. I've watched a raccoon trying to chew into it (on a bear pole in Shenandoah), with no success. After a long day on the trail, I don't want to even think about my food at night. At <7 oz with the odorproof liner, it's not that much heavier than one of those dry bags.

gungho
02-01-2008, 21:39
I used a Sea to Summit Event waterproof compression sack. It has 10 holes which are duct taped right now. Still waterproof though. If you don't want critters go for the Ursack made of kevlar. A bit heavier but mice, squirrels, and bears wont get into it.

I have always used a sea to summit waterproof compression sack as well with no problems.

Seeker
02-02-2008, 01:26
It has 10 holes which are duct taped right now.

i thought bears had 11 teeth... eh. maybe it was an old bear, and he'd lost one... :D

FanaticFringer
02-02-2008, 01:28
Do like Lone Wolf and sleep with your food. Works for me.

Deadeye
02-02-2008, 07:50
I use a big plastic pretzel jug, or the plastic jars that protein powders come in. Keeps out moisture, bugs, and small critters, and keeps fragile stuff whole (for those who like crackers or cookies). In bear country, I hang the jar.

Furlough
02-02-2008, 08:55
I use the EQUINOX Ultra Lite Bear Bag.

Furlough

Passionphish
02-02-2008, 16:57
As I will be hiking in the mid america and west coast more in the near future. I "think" I have settled on an URSACK. For my thru hike I might just take a nylon sack. But the critter proof 'edness of the URSACK is tempting.

Footslogger
02-02-2008, 17:53
I have always used a silnylon stuff sack to hang my food. I hang it upside down with the webbing on the bottom of the stuff sack. Only caution when using a silnylon sack is to hang it out far enough from the mail trunk of the tree and drop it far enough below the branch to keep the critters from getting at it from above.

'Slogger

OhioNative
02-03-2008, 11:21
I use an odor proof sack inside a stuff sack. Never had any problems.

wilderness monk
02-03-2008, 12:21
I use the RATSACK, I am not to concerned about bears as I am with smaller critters that love to feast on freeze dried packages and peanut butter crackers.

Passionphish
02-03-2008, 17:08
I have never heard of the RATSACK before! That is a huge volume for the weight! I'm going to check that out!

Trail_hound
02-03-2008, 17:58
I have always used a sea to summit waterproof compression sack as well with no problems.

Same here. I figure if the bear wants it bad enough and I have done a crappy job hanging it, he deserves it. I dont beleive I will carry a gallon paint can. I actually use the same dry sack I line my pack with sometimes. Its a lightweight one made by OR.

GGS2
02-03-2008, 18:15
Same here. I figure if the bear wants it bad enough and I have done a crappy job hanging it, he deserves it. I dont beleive I will carry a gallon paint can. I actually use the same dry sack I line my pack with sometimes. Its a lightweight one made by OR.

I don't think the gallon paint can is much of a bear stopper. It will deter smaller critters, probably up to raccoons, if the lid is on tight. Bear would go right through it. The more I consider, I think something like the Ursack is the right approach. That or just don't carry food. :)

Cindy from Indy
02-04-2008, 09:07
From the "How to Hike the Appalachian Trail" movie, one of the hikers was using a trash compactor bag as his hanging food bag. This seemed like a great idea to me at the time. This hiker had great ideas on hiking light and hiking cheap!

But now, after reading some of these posts, perhaps I'll get something a little more wear-worthy.