PDA

View Full Version : Montrail hardrocks ( how to ruin a great trail runner)

Brit
02-01-2008, 18:55
having used the bomb proof hardrocks for a number of years, I have had problems with my last 2 pairs of new Columbia sportwear made hard rocks. Old ( montrail made) stock could become like gold dust if Columbia dosn't get it's act together. Is anyone out there having the same problems??. Brit:)

wilconow
02-01-2008, 19:18
Yes, they ruined them. check this thread

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1352

Mooselook Marty
02-01-2008, 20:02
Columbia may be doing the same thing to Sorel boots, too :mad:. I've heard many stories where people think they are going downhill.

mudhead
02-02-2008, 10:29
I wondered this about MH awhile back.

SlowLightTrek
02-02-2008, 10:47
Read 'How to rip off the general public' : auth. Shareholders Inc.

FatMan
02-02-2008, 11:02
When I find the right shoe I buy a half dozen pairs. That was the case with the Montrail Massai. Last Fall I went shopping again because the Montrails were used up. First place I looked was for the Montrail Brand because the Massai fit so well. I could not find a Montrail shoe that felt right. In fact, all the Montrails I put on left me believing the product line had gone to heck in a handbasket. I switched to a New Balance shoe, but I have not fallen in love with them enough to buy a half dozen yet. When you hike in the same shoe for over 4 years you have no idea how much you will miss them when they are no longer available.

ScottP
02-02-2008, 12:24
I had the exact same experience.

ScottP
02-02-2008, 12:26
to clarify, the last 2 pairs of hard rocks I wore on the PCT wore out early (in 400 miles, rather than the typical 700 I used to get out of hard rocks) and were not as nice for that duration.

Searching for a new shoe is like searching for a new girlfriend....ugh. I can do without a girlfriend for a while though. Not so much with the shoe.

BigCat
02-02-2008, 13:05
I got a pair of Hardrocks at MRO when my NB 810's died around Damascus. I think they're ok but the toe box is just a little too small. Unfortunately, the 'Wide' version only fits up to 3E and I need 4E.

Does anybody that wears 4Es know of a good shoe other than New Balance?

A-Train
02-02-2008, 19:04
I got a pair of Hardrocks at MRO when my NB 810's died around Damascus. I think they're ok but the toe box is just a little too small. Unfortunately, the 'Wide' version only fits up to 3E and I need 4E.

Does anybody that wears 4Es know of a good shoe other than New Balance?

Try Etonic. My buddy has super wide feet and loves his shoes. Used 3 pairs for the whole PCT, getting like 800-900 miles a pair.

wrongway_08
02-02-2008, 19:41
Give this a try, I found a lot of brands here. You can go to each makers website for details.

http://www.zappos.com/wide.zhtml?ref=sidenav

wilconow
02-02-2008, 19:55
For those looking for an alternative to the Montrail Hardrock, has anyone tried the Salomon XT Wings?

spirit4earth
02-06-2008, 15:47
i have the montrail hardrocks and i really love them! does columbia own montrail now? they bought mountain hardwear, too, didn't they?

wilconow
02-06-2008, 15:53
i have the montrail hardrocks and i really love them! does columbia own montrail now? they bought mountain hardwear, too, didn't they?

http://runtrails.blogspot.com/2006/01/scoop-montrail-to-be-acquired.html (read whole thing)

Rcarver
02-06-2008, 16:43
I don't get it. Why do companies feel the need to change a great product. Are they selling too many? Wow, can't have that. I bought a pair of namche's last year. They are the best fitting shoe i have ever put on. I bought fifteen pairs when i found out they were not going to make them any more. A great fitting shoe has to be one of the most important items to a hiker.

Mr HaHa
02-10-2008, 12:26
I am a pronator and the hardrocks are the best trail shoe at controlling it I have found. Exellent medial support and heel cup.

chicote
02-13-2008, 23:49
I had went thru two pairs on the AT last year. Loved them. Got just under 1k on the first pair and the second pair made it all the way to Big K and in the trash... no way they were ever gonna smell good enough to shack up at my new place.

River Runner
02-14-2008, 01:25
I don't get it. Why do companies feel the need to change a great product. Are they selling too many?

No, it's probably a matter of the great product lasting too long. Or the consumer being so satisfied with it that they don't have to continue the illusive search (and many $$$) looking for the item that is a little better.