PDA

View Full Version : total eqipment weight poll...

jnohs
02-01-2008, 19:05
what does everyones total equipment weigh in at. I guess this means everthing except you and the the clothes on your back.

Skidsteer
02-01-2008, 19:11
How many days of food?

rafe
02-01-2008, 19:18
If you mean "base weight" ... about 16 lbs. or so. (Base weight = all gear, plus pack, but without food or water or fuel.)

NorthCountryWoods
02-01-2008, 19:41
Best guestimate 25lbs base, but then I carry all the fuel and food.

Wifes is 15lbs without a water bottle. She carries no consumables.

jnohs
02-01-2008, 19:41
sorry this just goes to show that I am still a such a newbie. My hiking experince still limits my forsight. I guess I mean with out food fule or water. But that probably takes me down to 27#

Is there a moderator who could exchange this line with the orignall post question for more clarity?

"what does everyones total equipment weigh in at? I guess this means everything except you the clothes on your back and No water, Food or fuel"

SlowLightTrek
02-01-2008, 19:50
Ok what time of year is it?

slow
02-01-2008, 20:16
IN FL,summer. .and so water 4#max.

jnohs
02-01-2008, 20:26
I pack the same amount of clothes for a 2 night trip as I do for a 7 night trip. I am again for my lack of clarity. I guess I figured this poll would be only filled by multy day packers. when i see someone in my head hiking it is someone doing a multy day hike. i forget the day hiker exist. Sorry

jnohs
02-01-2008, 20:27
damit spring thru fall

jnohs
02-01-2008, 20:27
i am laughing my a@# off at how much stuff I forgot to querry.

maxNcathy
02-01-2008, 21:42
I am hoping to be under 8 pounds plus about 4 pounds for food and 2 pounds for water.
Gossamer Gear is so light.

rafe
02-01-2008, 21:44
I am hoping to be under 8 pounds with about 4 pounds for food and 2 pounds for water.
Gossamer Gear is so light.

That's impressive. Where'd you find the sherpa?

Bearpaw
02-01-2008, 21:51
Warm weather, and no snow pack, I would fall into the 10-15 pound group, other wise, 15-20. In winter, with my fiancee, I'm closer to 25.

ScottP
02-01-2008, 22:01
you need a 5-10 category
you need a <5 category

BR360
02-01-2008, 22:06
I checked 10-15 lbs.
With camera: Summer, I'm at 9.8 lbs.
Spring-Fall, with clothing & bag for nights down to 20dF, I'm at 12 lbs.
Winter, add 3.4 lbs for liquid fuel stove, 0dF sleeping bag & extra foam pad, and YakTrax.

jnohs
02-01-2008, 22:34
again my arrogance shines through. I would not of figured on less than 10 pounds for anyone. but I also figured, the more variables I put in. The less effective the data obtained from the poll.

jnohs
02-01-2008, 22:45
man evey night i come tohis site andsite withm my wife .I cant waitttttttttttt for april!!!!!!!!!

Bob S
02-02-2008, 00:01
Why figure it without food, fuel and the normal amount of water you carry? It all has weight and you do have to carry it with you, so it is part of the weight picture.

I think it’s kinda pointless to always worry about the weight of yours and others packs. Pack what you need and are willing to take with you. If you find it too heavy, take things out or buy lighter gear.

If your pack is too heavy for the distance or style of backpacking you do, I can see being interested in reducing the weight, but it seems that it has turned into an obsession with the desire to know the weight of others packs.

scavenger
02-02-2008, 00:24
under 8 lbs usually. every trip gets different gear.

scavenger
02-02-2008, 00:25
under 8 lbs usually. every trip gets different gear.

meant under 9 lbs. cant edit my post.

Bearpaw
02-02-2008, 00:31
Why figure it without food, fuel and the normal amount of water you carry? It all has weight and you do have to carry it with you, so it is part of the weight picture.

True, overall weight counts most, but to compare a pack with 7 days of food and a gallon of water to cover a 20 mile waterless stretch to a weekend pack with food for a day and half isn't a very effective comparison. Every thing else in the pack may be the same. This is where base weight helps folks to really look at what they are carrying and make choixes about what can help them reduce their gear load.

No if you carry a gallon of water when there are water sources every 4 miles and pack 3 pounds of canned food per day, your overall weight will look a lot different no matter your base weight..............

rafe
02-02-2008, 00:34
If your pack is too heavy for the distance or style of backpacking you do, I can see being interested in reducing the weight, but it seems that it has turned into an obsession with the desire to know the weight of others packs.

It can be obsessive, of course. Like everything else. But trimming pack weight has been very helpful for me. At age 37, I averaged 11 miles per day with a heavy pack and consequently quit my attempted thru. This year, at age 55 and with a lighter pack, I averaged 15 miles per day, and finished the trail. Of course, pack weight wasn't the whole story, but it made a big difference.

jnohs
02-02-2008, 00:34
i am not obsessed with other peoples pack weight but was just making sure I wasnt the heavies pack out there. I actually fall right where i want. in the middle witch is good for me . it helps assess the weight of stuff i bringring a lot of stuff and I still fall in the middle so now I know I have enough stuff not to much, not to little. -+probably

Furlough
02-02-2008, 01:49
I honestly do not know. I guess sometimes ignorance is bliss. I have never weighed what I carry. I just carry what I think I need based on where, when and how long. One of these days I will have to break down and buy one of those fish scales to weigh things with.

Furlough

jrwiesz
02-02-2008, 08:38
what does everyones total equipment weigh in at. I guess this means everthing except you and the the clothes on your back.
This is going to be fun to watch!:D

nitewalker
02-02-2008, 09:02
I honestly do not know. I guess sometimes ignorance is bliss. I have never weighed what I carry. I just carry what I think I need based on where, when and how long. One of these days I will have to break down and buy one of those fish scales to weigh things with.

Furlough

im with you on this one. i carry what i think i may need.. day one my pack is heavier than day 4 and that is the only stat i can come up...:D

Ghosthiker
02-02-2008, 09:06
Well, I look at weights more now than I used too. If I am looking at other/new gear, I'll factor in the weight a bit more, but i won't go shopping, just to save a few ounces at a time. But I also factor in durability and other considerations, so sometimes that costs weight.

DAKS
02-02-2008, 09:30
another fun poll might be to ask how many own,use and are obsessed with a digital scale to weigh their gear?! i'm not obsessed, i can stop/quit any time i want?:D i find myself messing with my gear more this time of year when i get the "cabin fever!" come spring, summer and fall i obsess much less as i just throw everything in the pack! i think my pack weight is about 11lbs.??? it might weigh less this year if i can get my hands on some of that booze to go stuff that was on another thread.
:banana

rafe
02-02-2008, 09:41
I've got a small digital postal scale that I used extensively for last year's trip planning. I can't help myself in this regard. I'm an engineer.

Jim Adams
02-02-2008, 09:52
:D
I've got a small digital postal scale that I used extensively for last year's trip planning. I can't help myself in this regard. I'm an engineer.

Oh yeah....I never knew. What is the longest train that you've driven?:D

geek

Jim Adams
02-02-2008, 09:54
why not count fuel also? the stove is useless w/o it.

geek

ps. 14-16lbs.

rafe
02-02-2008, 09:55

That's a question for the alky stove weenies. ;)

GGS2
02-02-2008, 10:02

I think the distinction should be fixed vs variable weights. Thus no fuel, food, water, but everything else from the skin out, dry and clean. This is consistent with the idea of base weight. Then you can add in various supplies for a weight between points, or for a length of time between resupplies.

One must assume a certain season and other environmental variables. I presume the question is aimed at an AT all weather trip, either section or thru. Thus three seasons, sea level to sub-alpine.

SlowLightTrek
02-02-2008, 10:40

I got a cheap mechanical food scale from walmart for about $5. Not perfectly accurate but close enough.

DAKS
02-02-2008, 10:41
to answer my own question, i too own a digital postal scale. it's in the garage right next to my dremel tool!:D

rafe
02-02-2008, 10:45
I think the distinction should be fixed vs variable weights. Thus no fuel, food, water, but everything else from the skin out, dry and clean. This is consistent with the idea of base weight.

But Geek's point is well-taken. Calculation from base weight (IMO) explains the overwhelming popularity of alcohol stoves. You can point and say, "look, my stove weighs less than an ounce!" and it's no lie.

GGS2
02-02-2008, 10:55
But Geek's point is well-taken. Calculation from base weight (IMO) explains the overwhelming popularity of alcohol stoves. You can point and say, "look, my stove weighs less than an ounce!" and it's no lie.

Yeah, I know. That's why I am looking for a really light, spark free wood stove system. No fuel weight. That's also why I think there should be two weights reported, but you have to be really strict with your definitions or it doesn't really compare apples to apples. On the other hand, it's really just a pissing contest, no?

You should also report how overweight you are, what your skin-in base weight should be, how many hiker-fuel calories you get per mile, rate of consumption...

Bearpaw
02-02-2008, 12:10

Go Esbit. 1/2 ounce of fuel to boil a pint of water. No fuel bottle. No measuring and you can blow a tab out. If I go beyond esbit, I'm going cannister, not alcohol.

Bearpaw
02-02-2008, 12:15

I got one because we need it for my math and science classes and I was able to use money from the small allowance we get from the school system for it.

When I remember to bring it home, it's fun to check out the weight of gear. Sometimes I'm surprised how overweight gear is, compared to the manufacturer's published weights. Lying sacks!!:mad:

jnohs
02-02-2008, 12:16
i just step on my home body scale then step on it with my gear on subtract one from another and there you go. I do not weigh individual objects. but i do acount for weight now when purchasing items.

rafe
02-02-2008, 12:21
Go Esbit. 1/2 ounce of fuel to boil a pint of water. No fuel bottle. No measuring and you can blow a tab out. If I go beyond esbit, I'm going cannister, not alcohol.

I couldn't get comfortable with alcohol stoves. Even jumping to canister stoves was a big leap of faith for me, after years with Whisperlite and Zip. Fuel resupply was worry-free with these two.

rafe
02-02-2008, 12:24
Sometimes I'm surprised how overweight gear is, compared to the manufacturer's published weights. Lying sacks!!:mad:

That's often the case. But I gotta say the Tarptent and Granite Gear pack were pretty much on the money.

Chaco Taco
02-02-2008, 12:28
15.5 pounds, no food or water.

JAK
02-02-2008, 13:37
I am about 15 pounds even in winter if I don't count the clothes on my back. That is because I tend to keep the heavy wool on and the layers I keep off most of the time are just light skin layers and shell layers and an extra outer layer of fleece. My skin out weight is probably not much different than most folks.

blue foam pad = 10oz
sleeping bag = 3 pounds
gortex bivy = 2 pounds
poncho/tarp/cord/nails = 10oz
pack = 20oz
kelly kettle, mug, etc = 20oz
skin layers = 10oz
shell layers = 10oz
fleece layers = 20oz
extra socks = 10oz
headgear/mitts = depends
That's about 12 pounds, but there is probably another 3 pounds some place. For example, I think next time I go skiing I will bring my mukluks also, just in case. Clothes normally worn can be alot in winter though. My skin out weight in winter is about 20 pounds not counting food and water. If I included my skis, poles, boots that would add another 5 pounds. Food would add another 10 pounds usually. The concept of baseweight isn't that useful to me. Weight on scales when I leave it very useful, as it includes how much I am currently overweight, and that has a big impact on how fast I can travel, especially in snow.

JAK
02-02-2008, 13:49
I do all my winter hiking in woods, and have found tents to be too encumbering and either warmer but too wet, or no warmer or dryer. I also avoid heavy shell layers, except for my bivy. I try and keep an eye on how much of my skin out weight is insulation and food compared to everything else. Other than insulation and food, my equipment is pretty much the same all year round. I guess you could call that base weight, but it is so little compared to everything else, especially my body fat, that it really doesn't matter. I mostly keep it simple just so that it doesn't get in the way. I especially don't like heavy shells like tents and coats and stuff when they get wet or frozen, especially if I have to carry them through snow, even just 6" of snow, but I've never regretted wearing a wool sweater.

jrwiesz
02-02-2008, 14:50
:D

Oh yeah....I never knew. What is the longest train that you've driven?:D

geek

Whoo, Whooo!!!!!!:D

jrwiesz
02-02-2008, 14:53
...it's really just a pissing contest, no?

You should also report how overweight you are, what your skin-in base weight should be, how many hiker-fuel calories you get per mile, rate of consumption...

If you took a dump before you weighed yourself, etc...;)

rafe
02-02-2008, 14:53
What is the longest train that you've driven?:D

Lionel or HO?

Wolf - 23000
02-06-2008, 18:03
This poll needs to be redone. Not everyone carries a 10+ pack.

Wolf

stranger
02-06-2008, 18:27
My total pack weight is generally somewhere around 24-26lbs all up, and because I always hike with food and water, this weight includes that.

Why people talk about base weight is beyond me, isn't the weight that will be on your back while acutally hiking more relevant than the weight before food, water and fuel?

I never bothered to figure out my base weight, and don't plan on doing so unless I stop eating and drinking water.

rafe
02-06-2008, 18:38
Why people talk about base weight is beyond me, isn't the weight that will be on your back while acutally hiking more relevant than the weight before food, water and fuel?

It's just an arbitrary standard, useful in the way that most arbitrary standards are. In this case, it's useful because weights of food and water and fuel vary so much, for all sorts of reasons. Base weight is defined to be that part of the total that doesn't vary.

Clearly if your "base weight" is X lbs. and you're carrying several times that weight in food, water and fuel... the practical significance of "base weight" vanishes. But that's an extreme case. I'd guess that for typical thru hikers, fully resupplied and with water supply at max, base weight is roughly half the total.

stranger
02-07-2008, 00:19
In my view base weight does change, just like food and water changes. For example, most people change out to summer gear around Pearisburg...so your "base" weight would change. Plus, if someone was starting in say late Feb, they would most likely be carrying less warm weather gear come mid April, then even less come mid May. Then get some back in Hanover.

Plus, for many newer hikers...what they leave Springer with will change dramatically by the time they reach Damascus, not even accounting for weather changes, just bad purchases, so it changes again.

And yes, everyone eats different things and carries different amounts of fuel and water...but this also applies to gear. Someone might carry a 4lb tent and someone else a 11oz tarp, it's really no different. Different people carry different things, I'm just saying it's a more realistic approach to talk about total weight, as opposed to 50% of your weight.

Unless of course, it's about competition...which I imagine it may be for many people.