PDA

View Full Version : CRUCIFY ME! : Gear and Trip review

Cehoffpauir
01-03-2004, 16:48
Hello all. I'm recently registered, and have been reading a lot and learning A Lot in the forums for the past several weeks, in planning my section hike. I will be going south from Harper's Ferry to Hot Springs--about 750 miles--over the course of 2 to 3 months, from April 30 to July 30, I guess. (If I finish before July 30, I'll linger and do volunteer work until the airplane flight departs Asheville NC.) This is in preparation for a thru-hike in 2005. I've been assembling gear and making what I hope are intelligent choices, but still have quite some distance to cover before I feel "READY." With so many experienced hikers and so myriad viewpoints and experiences, one starts to feel boggled reading the many posts--which is why I finally registered--to interact! And hopefully give something back. My gear list is as follows, and some questions follow that.

"Quotations indicates undecided and/or yet-to-be-purchased/-constructed item"

Pack: Osprey Aether 60, medium size, 3700 ci
Sleep Bag: Mountain Hardwear Phantom, 800-down, 32-degree
Tent: Texport Knollwood 2-person bivy tent (if it doesn't fall apart by April)
Boots: Asolo 575 TPS GTX (I know, but I'll give Gore-Tex a try)
Camp Shoes: "homemade insole shoes (like Trailquest's)"
Sleep Pad: Thermarest Ultralite Long
Socks: 2 pair Smartwool Expedition Trekking Socks, color-coded
"Liner Socks: basic nylon black business-person socks"
Camp Socks: "1 pair thick cotton, modified to suit the camp shoes"
Bladder: "Platypus 3-liter Big Zip with hose"
Filter: Katadyn Hiker Microfilter
Backup Water Treatment: "Iodine or chlorine or other"
Stove: Brasslite Turbo II-D
Cook Pot: Antigravity Gear 2-qt aluminum non-stick, with clamp handle and
fitted cozy
Eating Utensil: Plastic picnic spoon (light and nearly indestructible)
Meal Miscellaneous: homemade windscreen, homemade reflector, 2 bic lighters,
8 oz fuel bottle (may go to 20 oz soda bottle)
Rope: "50' nylon cord"
Bear Bag: 400 ci zippered bag, made of water-resistant tafetta, modified from
my tent storage bag into the Thermalite storage bag/food-hanging
bag (hopefully rodent-proof; will seam-seal and perhaps hang in
plastic trash bag, suspended between 2 trees)
Hiking Poles: "lightweight and strong"
Hiking Shorts: nylon mesh-lined swim trunks
Hiking Shirt: "wicking, lightweight strong material"
"Jacket: Fleece jacket"
Camp Shirt: "cotton or something else comfortable"
Rain Clothes: "Frogg Toggs;" also my pants for chilly/cold weather, alternative
town clothes
Light: 3-way headlamp with LED night vision, LED white light, and krypton-bulb
spotlight, takes 3 AAA batteries (sufficient for an amateur; spare
batteries perhaps in mail-drop halfway through)
Cutting Tool: "Swiss Army with scissors, blade, tweezers, extra LED"
First-Aid Kit/Hygiene: Toothbrush and paste ("or powder"), floss, "soap," alcohol
hand cream, Neosporin, "tick remover, DEET, assorted
ointments, creams, supplements, pills; nothing illegal ;) "
Bandanas: 2
Footprint: "Tyvex material, cut to fit"
Pack Cover: "Silnylon seamless"
Miscellaneous: Trowel, TP, sewing needle, maps for the area in maildrops, credit
and debit cards, cash, various stuff sacks and Ziploc bags as
necessary
Camera: "Digital Olympus C-2040ZOOM (I own this, would hate to damage it;
about 8 oz with 4 AA batteries and media card)," OR "durable, light,
inexpensive clear-picture camera, digital or film doesn't matter (film
may be more convenient, though I'd love digital pictures)"
"Et cetera"

I haven't yet figured total weight, but expect it to be at most 30-ish pounds with all my food & water. (Most food I'll be carrying at once is 12 days, between 4 Pines Hostel (near Catawba VA) and Pearisburg VA. By the map-mileage and anticipated pace I might could make that distance in 9 days, but am allowing for time to linger if I so choose. I intend to thoroughly enjoy this trip, to never race through beautiful areas. Plus, that's a long stretch where, by the map, I see nowhere to resupply (any advice/knowledge here?). And if, when I reach Pearisburg, I see that 12 days' was "too much weight" I could have done without, then so be it--I will have kept the freedom to have hiked as I wished.)

I'm still very much planning, as you can see. Anything I'm missing? Anything excessive? (The fleece jacket in May, for instance? Or no warm clothing in May, in Virginia, for instance?)
Any advice for "the gear I've yet to assemble?"

I look forward to all your responses, and to seeing as many of you on the trail as I can.

ganj
01-03-2004, 17:15
Twelve days of food nearly weighs 30 lbs itself. There is only 70 miles between Catawba and Pearisburg. That would be less than six miles a day (less than three hours of walking).

Offhand I cannot think of a place to resupply between the two towns nor a need to. I think once you get out there hiking you will probably cover distance much faster than you anticipated. There are some great views but most north of Catawba (with exception to Dragon's Tooth). Even at a slower pace, I wouldn't think more than 7 days of food to be necessary.

Bring the fleece. It still gets mighty cold up there sometimes. Judging by your gear list, you have learned a lot. Take it all with you and find out what works for you. Have fun.

Kerosene
01-04-2004, 18:27
Definitely bring the fleece. It can get pretty cool in May in the northern Virginia mountains.

If your tent is about to fall apart, I might forgo the footprint. Just be careful about where you tent.

I wonder if your homemade, ultra-light camp shoes will really work for you on cool spring evenings when it's been raining for awhile. I went with some light fleece slippers that didn't cut it in anything remotely damp and now use ComfortClogs/Waldies. I'd also replace the cotton camp socks with another pair of SmartWools that can serve as backup hiking socks and mittens if needed.

Your 32-degree bag may be okay if you're a warm sleeper. I know that I've been glad I brought my 20-degree bag on October trips through this section the past three years.

A 2-quart pot is too big for one person in most cases. Look at something in the 0.9 to 1.5 liter range made of titanium to cut some of the weight.

I wouldn't bother with backup water treatment; just go with one and maybe put the other in your P.O. cache.

Make sure your swim trunks are long enough to prevent inner thigh chafing. Some guys have found that bike shorts work pretty well.

I'd keep the tick remover (with magnifying glass ideally since those buggers are so small). I haven't encountered any ticks in this area yet, but I've heard that they're out and about.

I recommend a Coolmax Alta shirt for hiking.

50-feet of cord is about right for bear bagging.

For section hikers, a big piece of aluminum foil does well as a pot lid, pot holder, and windscreen all-in-one. You can replace in your P.O. box.

I'd keep your silnyl pack cover, but there are differences of opinion on this. Personally, I don't like to see water collecting in the fabric and bottom of my pack, even if everything else is supposedly in waterproof sacks.

LEDs are supposed to last for thousands of hours. Put one in your P.O. box if you're concerned. I'd bring an extra battery if anything.

Go with disposable cameras (3-4.5 oz) if you're concerned about your digital. Just get 800 ASA.

Cehoffpauir
01-05-2004, 01:49
Originally Posted by ganj
Twelve days of food nearly weighs 30 lbs itself. There is only 70 miles between Catawba and Pearisburg. That would be less than six miles a day (less than three hours of walking). Thanks, ganj. Part of my planning will now be learning to read maps. :datz I checked the mileage too, and found it to be what you said.

Does 12 days' food really weigh that much?

Cehoffpauir
01-05-2004, 02:31
Definitely bring the fleece. It can get pretty cool in May in the northern Virginia mountains.

Good idea about the fleece--any recommendations, anyone? Simple pullover or full-on jacket? 200-weight? I was looking at a few $20-$30 200-weights at campmor.

If your tent is about to fall apart, I might forgo the footprint. Just be careful about where you tent.

My tent isn't really that bad, I'm just irritated that a fiberglass pole has split in 2 places on the past 2 uses. Elec tape cures one split at a time, but on the trail I don't want to mess with this kind of maintenance. Maybe I'll cook inside the tent and spill some flaming alcohol... :eek:

On this note, 2 things. 1) Is a footprint primarily for protecting one's tent, or for keeping the wet ground from soaking the floor? 2)I've been considering carbon-fiber poles from fibraplex.com. Both poles for my tent would total $50-$60, and could save half the weight of my current. There's a thread on carbon-fiber tent poles, with numerous posts, some of which imply carbon-fiber poles break easily. Is this generally true, or are these particular poles prone to breaking due to the sharp curve of the tent these folks use? (I've looked at the tent, and man it's tight.) (Okay, 3 things:) 3) Are aluminum poles worth considering? Both poles for my tent would total $25-$35, plus my own cutting, in which I could make mistakes.

Your 32-degree bag may be okay if you're a warm sleeper. I know that I've been glad I brought my 20-degree bag on October trips through this section the past three years.

A 2-quart pot is too big for one person in most cases. Look at something in the 0.9 to 1.5 liter range made of titanium to cut some of the weight.

The bag feels warm enough so far, but I haven't tested it on really cold nights on my pad. While comfort is certainly one of my higher priorities, I can live with the bag if it keeps me alive. It's under 2 pounds, down-fill; I've heard good things about Mtn Hardwear's customer service, and the bag compresses to 359 ci. A little pricey though, at $190 (from Mt Rogers Outfitters. Reg price is around $250. BUY FROM THESE GUYS! Their service is incredible, and their packages like Cracker Jack boxes, with surprise treats (such as maps, patches, stickers). Can't eat the treats, though. No shipping charges, and no tax unless you buy in VA where they're based.).

I got the 2-quart pot for a number of reasons, one of which is I intend to use it to cook for 2 when my wife and I camp beyond the AT.

I recommend a Coolmax Alta shirt for hiking.

I took a polyester T-shirt from REI for $10 clearance. Hope it works.

I'd keep your silnyl pack cover, but there are differences of opinion on this. Personally, I don't like to see water collecting in the fabric and bottom of my pack, even if everything else is supposedly in waterproof sacks..

Do you get water collecting even with silnylon? I was thinking it was super-waterproof. The one I intend to buy is Trailquest's, a seamless cover with hook-loop closure at your back.

Go with disposable cameras (3-4.5 oz) if you're concerned about your digital. Just get 800 ASA.

What is 800 ASA? The only reservation I have about disposables is their single-use philosophy (though the company really may recycle them or even re-use them. I guess one has to check that out themselves.).

Thanks very much to you both, ganj and Kerosene, for your suggestions.

Uncle Wayne
01-05-2004, 03:07
You're off to a good start. Here's a few suggestions, most of which you've probably already thought of and have taken care of:
Make sure the gear, food and water will fit in the pack you plan on using.
Make sure you can rest with the ultralite pad. I tried one as a weight saver and found I couldn't sleep / rest with it. I had to go back to a thicker pad. (I'm sure being 50 years old had nothing to do with it ;) )
Do you really need liner socks? I've found that with Smart Wool socks I can leave the liners at home.
If you're going to bring camp socks, bring some that you could use to hike in if needed. Although my longest hike has only been 12 days I only carried 3 pair of Smart wools and one of those was to sleep in.
The fleece will be nice for the cool mountain evenings or to wear until you warm up early morning. I have a pullover because I found it almost 2 ounces lighter than the jacket.
Do you need a 2 qt. pot? My wife and I use a 1.3 liter titanium pot but most of our cooked meals are the "add boiling water type."
We used a mesh laundry bag for a bear bag until we started hanging our entire packs on the bear rope / cable. That eliminated the need for a bear bag. We carry a couple of 50 gallon construction grade garbage bags also. Our packs fit in one and we spread the other out on the shelter floor to protect our sleeping bags where they hang over the 3/4 length pads.
Food will be heavy, heavier than you think so plan out your meals for a week and see how much it weighs.
I notice you are bringing a water bladder but what about a cup or water bottle for mealtme? I don't use a bladder so I'm not sure how easily it could be used besides on the pack.
That's all I can think of now. You've already got some good advice but in the end you have to carry the stuff. So make sure you carry the stuff that you know will work for you. That's the important thing. Good luck.

Cehoffpauir
01-05-2004, 04:08
Thank you.

I may indeed get a third pair of Smartwools. And to admit it, I've been leaning towards forgoing the liners.
I slept on this Thermarest Ultralite one night and found it far more comfortable than sleeping on the ground a few nights before. I've never slept on any other pad so can't compare, but so far, it's working.
Garbage bags are definitely to be in the inventory.
Hadn't considered my drinking cup. I guess I figured it would be one of my food-storage cups, besides a hose to the bladder. (My food I plan to be also the just-add-water-and-boil type, and plan to store it pre-mixed (with spices and such) in these little 1- and 2-cup plastic containers, weighing about 1/4oz each and measuring about 24 1/2 ci each.)

I notice you are bringing a water bladder but what about a cup or water bottle for mealtme? I don't use a bladder so I'm not sure how easily it could be used besides on the pack.

The "big-zips" stand on their bases when full, from what I know. How they perform when nearly empty, I couldn't say, as I haven't acquired it yet. And I've heard Platypus bags are prone to leaking...?

Make sure the gear, food and water will fit in the pack you plan on using.

This is a concern to me, because against all advice that I've read, I've bought my pack before being finished acquiring all my gear. (I saw it on sale, figured I could save $50...I'll go to confession or something.) The pack is to be delivered this week. When it comes I'll have the big 3. My sleep bag and tent compress well, my sleep pad I can strap to the outside. Everything else...we'll see. But I've measured what I do have and estimated what I've yet to have, and by the numbers, all of it fits. Practically, however, is yet to be seen. I have read that some folks have used the Osprey Aether 60 for their thru-hikes, and while semantics may apply here, I've taken a chance. We'll see, won't we? I hope to go minimalist, though not full-on ultralight (though I certainly perk my ears in their company), and though the following may be a foolish notion, maybe a smaller pack will encourage me to remain minimalist; open up to the woods rather than close into my pack.

Kerosene
01-05-2004, 11:19
I think you could go with a Polartec 100 weight, especially if you combine with a dry shirt and your Frogg Toggs jacket when it gets very cold. It should weigh between 8 and 12 ounces (versus 16-24 for a 200 weight jacket).

Higher speed film (ASA) will tend to take better pictures in lower light conditions. Ask some of the photo-heads on this site for better rationale.

I had a bad experience with a Platypus Big Zip, fortunately on a day hike. The one I had was less than "bombproof". I prefer the Camelbak screw-top.

My feet sweat a lot, and heavy socks don't tend to dry unless it's really warm out. Instead I bring 4 pairs of thin liners (2 oz. each) and rotate two pairs of SmartWools (4 oz each). The liners have a chance of drying out and make my feet think they're dry for awhile!

Matt Pincham
01-09-2004, 05:28
Hi Cehoffpauir,

I'm in the same situation as you. I got my Osprey Aether 60 for Christmas and have now bought almost all of my kit (which I will post a revised thru-hike list in a few days) later. I'm not planning on ultra-lighting but I have gone for some light options (Rab Quantum Top Bag) and have no doubt that all my gear will fit. Well it had better do anyway :)

I've also passed my driving test now so ALL my money I earn will be saved for flights and the trail. I can't wait. Just gotta get that Visa now :(

Matt

Peaks
01-09-2004, 09:18
Big Zips: I tired them last summer. It's often hard to get the top zipped tight, so they are prone to leaking. I will not use them again. I prefer the collapsible canteen with screw top.

Fleece: Early in the season (before Memorial Day in the South), and after Labor Day up north, I'd suggest carrying something heavier than 100 wieght fleece. This is in addition to windshirt and rain jacket.

Shoe Leather Express
01-09-2004, 12:09
Tent: Texport Knollwood 2-person bivy tent (if it doesn't fall apart by April)

Ditch the tent and get a Hennessey Hammock Cocoon ($79) or Scout ($69). You mentioned later that you're looking for carbon fiber poles to replace your broken ones anyway. For the price of the poles alone you get a brand new lightweight shelter, and you can reduce weight by leaving the footprint behind. http://www.hennessyhammock.com/catalogue.htm

Camp Shoes: "homemade insole shoes (like Trailquest's)"
Over rated and unneccessary. You'll only be wearing shoes to the water hole and latrine. The rest of the time in camp you'll probably be barefoot airing your feet out.

Camp Socks: "1 pair thick cotton, modified to suit the camp shoes"
One pair of Haynes should do it.

Stove: Brasslite Turbo II-D
Consider omitting this and switching to a Pepsi can stove. Much lighter.

Cook Pot: Antigravity Gear 2-qt aluminum non-stick, with clamp handle and
fitted cozy
Get a smaller pot. That's too big. If cost is an issue, by one of those Scouting mess kits at Walmart or an army/navy store and use the small pot.

Meal Miscellaneous: homemade windscreen, homemade reflector,
Your windscreen and reflector can be one in the same by using an aluminum turkey pan or aluminum foil.

Hiking Shorts: nylon mesh-lined swim trunks
Remove the mesh and wear spandex shorts underneath to prevent chaffing.

"Jacket: Fleece jacket"
If you can't find one at Goodwill or the Salvation Army go to an army/navy store and buy a field jacket liner.

Bandanas: 2
One is enough.

Footprint: "Tyvex material, cut to fit"
Can be eliminated all together if you switch to a hammock.

Cehoffpauir
01-09-2004, 14:46
Great responses.

Matt--
I remember your original gear list you posted for review, and it, along with others, have helped me hone my gear selections.
With my own Aether 60, I packed my gear I currently have, and 2 pillows from the bed to simulate the rest, and all of it fit well with nothing in the top compartment, or the mesh pockets. I then emptied it and poured in about 45 pounds of books and trekked around the neighborhood, my first experience carrying that much weight for one hour, and--oh boy!
(On the trail I intend to carry less, but will train 4 months with about this weight.)

Peaks--
Any particular collapsible canteen you recommend? Kerosene mentioned Camelbak. I'd like a 3-liter or thereabouts.
I have been looking at heavier fleeces, just to be safe. Some are wind-resistant. Would one of these on top of a polyester T-shirt, under Frogg Toggs jacket, with a beanie on my head and gloves, suffice for sitting in camp? To about what temp range? (WV thru NC in May-July?)

Shoe Leather Express--
Definitely considering a Hennessy Hammock, since my tent is giving me water-problems. Do the hammocks compress well? To about what size? And since I've already bought the Thermarest Ultralite long, will it work well in the hammock?
For camp shoes, I've got some Comfort Clogs on the way.
My Brasslite and 2qt pot will be my cooking gear, primarily because I've already bought them and they work great. They may be a little big, but on my thru-hike in 2005 I might reduce and hang these above the fireplace. ;)
Good idea about the turkey pan. Too bad I'm vegetarian and couldn't sleep for thinking about all those poor little chunky turkeys. :D Maybe the goose down in my bag will lull me to sleep, and the leather on my boots sing "Rockabye Baby."

You folks all are great. Glad Whiteblaze is back up. :jump

Shoe Leather Express
01-09-2004, 15:25
Great responses.
Shoe Leather Express--
Definitely considering a Hennessy Hammock, since my tent is giving me water-problems. Do the hammocks compress well? To about what size? And since I've already bought the Thermarest Ultralite long, will it work well in the hammock?
Here you go, straight from Hennessey. :)

SCOUT
New for 2002

Features
The Scout has 2" wide nylon webbing straps attached to the end of the suspending ropes to protect the tender bark of trees and provide greater span for the ropes. We call them "tree huggers." The Scout does not have a full Velcro seal on the entrance or a mesh pocket on the ridge line.

Specifications

Hammock weight: 2 lbs. 7 oz. / 1100 gr.
Weight limit: 225 lbs.
Suspension system: 10' long 1600 lb. test polyester ropes with
42" long x 2" wide nylon webbing straps called "tree huggers"
Hammock dimensions: 9' x 4'
Hammock fabric: 210 D oxford nylon
Canopy dimensions: 125 x 72"
Canopy fabric 1.9 ounce polyurethane coated nylon or polyster ripstop
Mesh; 1 oz. polyester No-See-Um netting
Stuff sack: Logo and setup up instructions printed on ripstop nylon bag
Set-up time: 2.5 minutes
Packed size: 6" x 10"
Suggested retail price: $69.00 US

Peaks
01-09-2004, 17:02
The collapsible canteen I tote along is the Nalgene 3 liter canteen. Weights 3 ounces and costs about $9.00.

For upper body layering in cool weather, I use synthetic T-shirt, Marmot windshirt, fleece layer, and PreCip. This has been adequate for me during the hiking season when days are above freezing, and nights don't go too far below freezing.

I have my doubts about wind block fleece. Fleece without the wind block is pretty porous, and the wind goes right through it. Now, if the wind block layer is in the center, then aren't you just getting the insulating value of about 1/2 the fleece thickness, (whatever is below the wind block layer)? In June, July and August, you should not need heavy fleece. Look at the average temperature charts.

Kerosene
01-09-2004, 18:29
If you need a wind-block, just put your Frogg Toggs over your fleece. The other benefit is that regular fleece feels nice as a pillow wrapped around your clothes-filled stuff sack.