PDA

View Full Version : Books about MacKaye and Avery

Chaco Taco
02-01-2008, 23:41
I am looking for something to read involving the evolution of the AT and its founders. Anyone got any good one's to suggest??

emerald
02-01-2008, 23:50
Search WhiteBlaze.net for "Trail Years" an Appalachian Trailway News article on ATC's site I've linked here more than once before.

There's a book about MacKaye, but information pertaining to Avery is harder to come by.

emerald
02-02-2008, 00:08
Click on ATC's History page (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.786749/k.D5F9/History.htm). "Trail Years" is linked at its bottom.

rafe
02-02-2008, 00:23
There's an excellent biography of MacKaye by Larry Anderson. You can find it at Amazon, I'm sure. Wonder how many folks are aware that MacKaye (along with others such as Aldo Leopold and Howard Zahniser) was also one of the founders of The Wilderness Society? :-?

weary
02-02-2008, 00:36
I am looking for something to read involving the evolution of the AT and its founders. Anyone got any good one's to suggest??
The best history is the ATC report that came out in 2000 I think. It's available on line and can be purchased from ATC. A biography of MacKaye came out a few years ago. "Benton MacKaye: Conservationist, Planner, and Creator of the Appalachian Trail (Creating the North American Landscape)" by Larry Anderson. ATC used to sell it and maybe it still does.

Weary

Max Power
02-02-2008, 00:43
One of the contributer to the building of the trail that I am currently fascinated with is George Masa. Get the video, "The Mystery of George Masa."

bloodmountainman
02-02-2008, 01:16
A good read about the early days of the trail is Earl Shaffer's Walking with Spring.It is the story of the first solo thru hike of the AT. It was in 1948 and a lot of the Trail was Un-blazed and unfinished in certain sections. Good adventure story. Earl Shaffer will always be a Trail walkers inspiration.

emerald
02-03-2008, 07:03
Earl Shaffer's difficulties with route-finding in 1948 were due mostly to a hurricane I believe occurred in 1938 and little or no A.T. maintenance due to the war effort.

emerald
02-03-2008, 07:15
I've always thought him one of the more interesting individuals involved with the development of the A.T. in the South who also played an important role in its maintenance for many years afterwards.

Perhaps someone might know of information online which could be linked to this thread?:-?

emerald
02-03-2008, 07:37
Myron Avery was the 1st person to hike the entire A.T. I believe he is credited with having completed it in 1936 before the A.T. was officially finished. He hiked it over a number of years.

Avery's "interrogation" of Earl Shaffer is part of the A.T.'s lore that should be known to all who hike it and be remembered so long as there is an A.T. to hike.

emerald
02-03-2008, 07:58
The A.T. between the Susquehanna and Lehigh Rivers in Pennsylvania was built by BMECC and coordinated by Harry Rentschler. The Rentschler Marker dedicated in 1933 which may still be seen in its original location near PA 183 recognizes his contributions.

To learn more about BMECC's history and Harry F. Rentschler's contributions to the A.T., click here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=251584&postcount=18) to view an earlier post of mine with a link to "Blue Mountain Eagle Climbing Club: Keepers of the Appalachian Trail" provided by Historical Society of Berks County.