PDA

View Full Version : Update Trailjournals by email?

Powder River
02-02-2008, 03:25
I just fixed up my trailjournals site and now I can't find that all-important function: how do I set it up so trailjournals get my posts by email? Thanks.

attroll
02-02-2008, 09:06
I don't think Trailjournals has that capability.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-02-2008, 09:43
Try Postholer.com (http://postholer.com/journal/). You can update via email with that resource.

dixicritter
02-02-2008, 09:57
With Trail Journals you'd need a transcriber to email your journal entry to so that they could then put it in for you. You would have to give them the access to do so. I am doing this for SGT Rock, only at the moment he's not emailing journal entries it is handwritten. I can tell you it would be nice to get his emailed, and that's all I'm gonna say about that...LOL.

I'm not familiar with Postholer.com, but know that they have posted here and some here have used that service and been happy with it. From what I've read it is pretty user friendly. I've been meaning to go check it out, just haven't had the time.

ofthearth
02-02-2008, 10:10
I don't know about email either but after meeting stumpknoker at the ruck, he mentioned that he does his by web. I've been checking that out. He uses a Verizon devise. I have been to the Verizon store and after some blank looks we finaly managed to figure out what I was talking about. It can be done! Pros and cons- small screen, more tech in the woods ( don't tell LW), batteries, ...... you can check the weather, no transcriber ( for better or worse), another bill...... something to do when it rains ;>) and I'm sure there's more on both sides.

ofthEarth

dixicritter
02-02-2008, 10:14
The other issue with that is you have to have a signal. Rock has a similar device, but can't always get a signal. He tried to send me messages three days in a row on his last section to give me his daily mileage and I got them on the day he came home... all three at the same time. LOL.

Powder River
02-02-2008, 10:45
I don't know about email either but after meeting stumpknoker at the ruck, he mentioned that he does his by web. I've been checking that out. He uses a Verizon devise. I have been to the Verizon store and after some blank looks we finaly managed to figure out what I was talking about. It can be done! Pros and cons- small screen, more tech in the woods ( don't tell LW), batteries, ...... you can check the weather, no transcriber ( for better or worse), another bill...... something to do when it rains ;>) and I'm sure there's more on both sides.

ofthEarth

I already have my device, I'm just trying to figure out how my emails get to trailjournals.com. It looks like I overestimated their site though, and they don't offer that. Looks like it will be postholer.com for me. I'm actually surprised that such a basic feature is missing from trailjournals, I see no reason why they are so popular. :-?

Jan LiteShoe
02-02-2008, 10:54
I already have my device, I'm just trying to figure out how my emails get to trailjournals.com. It looks like I overestimated their site though, and they don't offer that. Looks like it will be postholer.com for me. I'm actually surprised that such a basic feature is missing from trailjournals, I see no reason why they are so popular. :-?

Stumpknocker uses a transcriber; it's Mrs. Gorp this year. He doesn't do it directly.

Trailjournals is popular because it was the first reliable"collecting" site to offer an online spot to post journals. Other sites had this option, but went down periodically and journalers lost archives. Plus Trailjournals' owner is a good guy, a popular thru-hiker. Postholer now offers another option as as well. No need to rip one site to promote another. There's a place for all.

Jan LiteShoe
02-02-2008, 10:56
With Trail Journals you'd need a transcriber to email your journal entry to so that they could then put it in for you. You would have to give them the access to do so. I am doing this for SGT Rock, only at the moment he's not emailing journal entries it is handwritten. I can tell you it would be nice to get his emailed, and that's all I'm gonna say about that...LOL.

You are a saint. I couldn't transcribe handwriting, even for my beloved.
You may quote me.
LOL.
:)

Kirby
02-02-2008, 11:09
I'm thinking I will handwrite my entries throughout the course of a day, and then at night put them into my pocketmail.

Kirby

dixicritter
02-02-2008, 11:10
You are a saint. I couldn't transcribe handwriting, even for my beloved.
You may quote me.
LOL.

Thank you! And You should see his handwriting....:eek: LOL

No need to rip one site to promote another. There's a place for all.

Totally agree with this!

Jan LiteShoe
02-02-2008, 11:25
I'm thinking I will handwrite my entries throughout the course of a day, and then at night put them into my pocketmail.

Kirby

That may suit you, and you'll have a tangible written backup, complete with authentic trail dirt, ramen noodle and Tang stains.

If handwriting-then-typing gets tiresome, what I found useful was to carry the Pocketmail in the hipbelt pocket of my ULA pack (in a ziplock). When I stopped to suck air, er... I mean, admire the view, yeah, that's it... I'd pull it out and jot down a few things I wanted to remember. People asked how I could keep up the journaling as the hike went on - this is how. If you wait to town, or at night, it's easy to put it off, and then details slip. You could do this just as easy or easier with pen and notebook, you don't need a device.

Extensive journaling is not for everyone - it's just what you want. Some find it interferes with their enjoyment of the hike. In my case, writing just had to happen; I felt the urge to journal as never before. Nowadays, I go back and read a day in, say,Virginia, and I find I'd forgotten all those details, but a few lines and it comes flooding back. I'm glad the details wrote themselves into my life, you might say.

For me, I'm extremely glad I took the time to do it as I did. Again, however anyone wants to keep a journal, electronic or paper, public or private, or not at all, you'll figure out a way that works best for you - and your transcriber, if you have one.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-02-2008, 11:44
We are section hikers. I do a handwritten journal that I transcribe when we get home. Most of my journal is on a private blog as I include info that is not for public consumption. However, we have a spot on TJ and I have registered at postholer. Eventually, all of the not-too-personal stuff will get transcribed into one or the other. I honestly haven't decided which one. As Jan & Dixi note, both viable options and have their place

ofthearth
02-02-2008, 22:55
When I spoke with Stumpknocker and showed his device (maybe an enV from Verizon) I assumed he was posting directly. I then went to Verizon and asked how to do this as I ( once again assumed - a bad habit) that if you can log in to the wed from your computer to update your journal and the enV can log into the web- walla- you can log in from your tent, hammock, under the stars what ever to update your journal. The enV can get to the web - young person demonstrated this ability to me ( I worked with computers but that was yesterday :rolleyes: ) and then left me to play with the devise. Though I had created a journal for myself before going to the store I was unable to get to it in the store - though probably more my lack of knowledge of the devise than anything else. I plan on going back to the store and getting another lesson on the enV and will keep you posted.

A question for Jan Liteshoe - does Stumpknocker just prefer to use an editor/transcriber? Lots of questions relating to battery life, etc. The people at Verizon pointed out you can upload after 7 or 9 o'clock and not use minutes...... lots of questions.... Can we post to Stumpknocker and ask some question?

ofthearth

Jan LiteShoe
02-02-2008, 23:26
When I spoke with Stumpknocker and showed his device (maybe an enV from Verizon) I assumed he was posting directly. I then went to Verizon and asked how to do this as I ( once again assumed - a bad habit) that if you can log in to the wed from your computer to update your journal and the enV can log into the web- walla- you can log in from your tent, hammock, under the stars what ever to update your journal. The enV can get to the web - young person demonstrated this ability to me ( I worked with computers but that was yesterday :rolleyes: ) and then left me to play with the devise. Though I had created a journal for myself before going to the store I was unable to get to it in the store - though probably more my lack of knowledge of the devise than anything else. I plan on going back to the store and getting another lesson on the enV and will keep you posted.

A question for Jan Liteshoe - does Stumpknocker just prefer to use an editor/transcriber? Lots of questions relating to battery life, etc. The people at Verizon pointed out you can upload after 7 or 9 o'clock and not use minutes...... lots of questions.... Can we post to Stumpknocker and ask some question?

ofthearth

Yeah, it's some kind of camera phone with web capability.

As for why the transcriber, you might question him. I know he's been having battery problems in the cold.
Or PM Mrs. Gorp, who is on this site as Minerva (as in Minerva Hinchey shelter, her baby).
Maybe he wants a spell checker. His spelling has been better lately.

highway
03-05-2008, 07:24

ofthearth

Did you go back to the store?

If so, what was the result?

Hammock Hanger
03-05-2008, 09:29
I don't know about email either but after meeting stumpknocker at the ruck, he mentioned that he does his by web. I've been checking that out. He uses a Verizon devise. I have been to the Verizon store and after some blank looks we finally managed to figure out what I was talking about. It can be done! Pros and cons- small screen, more tech in the woods ( don't tell LW), batteries, ...... you can check the weather, no transcriber ( for better or worse), another bill...... something to do when it rains ;>) and I'm sure there's more on both sides.

ofthEarth

NO TRANSCRIBER!!! I doubt Mrs Gorp or I would agree. Stumpknocker types his notes in his phone, a text message, and then sends it via the phone to either Mrs Gorp or if she is out there with him to me. We then cut and paste it to his journal. It is the same process as with the Pocketmail except a phone is used.

The advantage to this is that he can send photos with the notes. The down side is that his text message has a small word count, so sometimes he has to send 5-7 messages to get out the full journal.

I am transcribing for Stumpknocker and for Pockets. My only criteria was that it NOT be handwritten. I tried that one year and it was way too time consuming to have to read and type long entries. Even harder if the person was tired and the handwriting was illegible. Cut and paste is the easiest.

Email me privately... I could possible take on a third.