PDA

View Full Version : Freezer Bag vs Storage Bag - cooking

Puppy
02-02-2008, 10:30
When doing the freezer bag cooking...... does it have to be a freezer bag, or does a storage bag (this is the term on the box) work OK ?

Thanks

Skidsteer
02-02-2008, 11:15
When doing the freezer bag cooking...... does it have to be a freezer bag, or does a storage bag (this is the term on the box) work OK ?

Thanks

Most use freezer bags. They are more durable, IMO.

Some, like HOI, swear that the storage bags work just as well. I've seen him use them and it worked fine.

Personally, I use freezer bags.

jlb2012
02-02-2008, 12:15
Well I use sandwich bags - not too sure what weight plastic is in the storage bags but I suspect it is heavier than the generic store brand sandwich bags I use. some old notes I had laying around:

key things with sandwich bags:

1. never pour boiling water into bag unless it is in a cozy that supports the sides and bottom of the bag

2. never zip the bag all the way up - leave a small opening to let the hot air out or you may pop a side seam

3. never break up the food while in the bag - easy to get holes in the sides that way

4. put the sandwich bags with food in a larger thicker zip lock bag for carrying in your food bag

5. expect that there will be a 5-10 % leak rate so be sure that the cozy is located somewhere where the leaks don't do any damage (ex on the ground)

BD:

But sandwich type bags work fine for you right? why do folks go with the bigger freezer bags? Is it only for the thicker bag material or is there another reason?

HOI:

yes - sandwich bags work fine for me given the limits as I previously described

as to why folks go for the bigger thicker bags - well they are less likely to leak, you can pour boiling water into them while holding it in hand so to speak ie doesn't need to be fully supported when the water hits it - somewhat easier turn down the top and eat from the bag outside of a cozy

beats me as to why but I suspect a lot of it is cover your ass liability stuff - it comes down to you are less likely to be burned with a freezer bag if your do the stuff I say don't do

sarbar
02-02-2008, 12:41
Btw...if you do use sandwich bags, the ones by glad seem to be the best made I have found. They are nearly as heavy as a freezer bag.

As with any bags..name brand is better than off brand.

Btw, you can get Pint freezer bags now by Ziploc.

lonehiker
02-02-2008, 12:42
I have used storage bags with no problems. They are a fraction of the cost of freezer bags as well.

snowhoe
02-02-2008, 15:13
I have also used both with really no problems. Dont crush up your ramin in them before you pour the water in, that will be a problem.