PDA

View Full Version : New Limestone Cove restaurant below Iron Mountain Gap (Unicoi)

ImkerVS
02-02-2008, 17:58
In the Erwin/Unicoi area, newly opened is The Country Cafe, on Highway 107, 3 or 4 miles below Iron Mountain Gap. Newly opened. The Country Cafe is near the intersection of 173 and 107. Hours are 12 p.m. to 8 p.m. Lunch until 4 p.m., then dinner menu.

American-style food. Quiet alternative music in the background. Place gets packed on the weekend nights. Only seats about 30 or so. Bring your own bottle, no cork fee. Cafe menu with country fried steaks, chicken dishes, crabcake, burgers, salads, all prepared with flair. Excellent desserts. Open Monday through Saturday.

I've sampled quite a bit of the menu and it's all good.

Tennessee Viking
02-02-2008, 21:03
I got to check that place out. We definitely need something back in there. Clarence's was the only thing around. Is it at the Limestone Cove gas station?

ImkerVS
02-03-2008, 11:11
My mistake: OPEN TUESDAY THROUGH SATURDAY, 12 TO 8.

Yeah. It definitely is humble looking outside, but inside it's fine. There used to be a cafe there a year or two ago that was awful.

The only reason I'll go to Clarence's now is for breakfast.

Clarence's, which is in Unicoi on the old Asheville Highway, makes a lot of money and I can guarantee you that none of the money goes into sprucing up the interior. It's uglier than Cinderella's stepsister.

Tennessee Viking
02-19-2008, 22:40
My mistake: OPEN TUESDAY THROUGH SATURDAY, 12 TO 8.

Yeah. It definitely is humble looking outside, but inside it's fine. There used to be a cafe there a year or two ago that was awful.

The only reason I'll go to Clarence's now is for breakfast.

Clarence's, which is in Unicoi on the old Asheville Highway, makes a lot of money and I can guarantee you that none of the money goes into sprucing up the interior. It's uglier than Cinderella's stepsister.
I think they need a new paint job to cover up all the cigarette smoke discoloration.

Last time I went in there, a cloud of smoke just rolled out the door.

Tennessee Viking
02-19-2008, 22:43
Just had an early dinner at Country Cafe. Damn they make a fine burger. I was surprised that they had veal liver, a good fish selection, and prime steak cuts.

ImkerVS
05-18-2008, 14:38
To update: Country Cafe has gone to hours of M-F 4 p.m. to 9 p.m., on Saturday 12 - 9 p.m.

The veal liver is superb.

Hamburger is no longer on the menu. The chef said he wants people to experience something new. The place is getting slammed on Friday and Saturday nights. Middle of week is a good time to avoid the rush.

Tennessee Viking
08-11-2008, 00:03
I just visited the Country Kitchen, and its now 'by reservation only,' and hours are Tues-Sat 4to9. No more walk-in and dine. And the menu has gone way upscale.

I have tried to take family there twice, first time they were closed, and second time they asked for reservations.

In my opinion, they are limiting their service while in a rural community. Its not going to last long unless they have some really good food.

minnesotasmith
08-11-2008, 08:44
I just visited the Country Kitchen, and its now 'by reservation only,' and hours are Tues-Sat 4to9. No more walk-in and dine. And the menu has gone way upscale.

I have tried to take family there twice, first time they were closed, and second time they asked for reservations.

In my opinion, they are limiting their service while in a rural community. Its not going to last long unless they have some really good food.

And, as it's obviously not AYCE, it's not first-rate from the POV of most thruhikers, either. Kind of an irrelevant place for my next thruhike from my POV.

Tennessee Viking
08-11-2008, 12:11
I was so tempted to make reservations there last week, and take the Konnarock Crew there since they were camping down the road after a couple long days of busting rock without showers. That would have been a sight for such a fancy eating establishment.

Rain Man
08-11-2008, 12:54
I think they need a new paint job to cover up all the cigarette smoke discoloration.

Last time I went in there, a cloud of smoke just rolled out the door.

Is this place not in Tennessee, where there is a "no smoking indoors" law?

Rain:sunMan

Tennessee Viking
08-11-2008, 14:19
Is this place not in Tennessee, where there is a "no smoking indoors" law?

Rain:sunMan

.Its on the main road in Unicoi TN.

Before the no-smoking law, it was haven for smokers.

Cabin Fever
08-11-2008, 15:49
All of this information would been helpful three days ago when I was hiking from Carver's to Iron Mountain Gap!

Tennessee Viking
08-11-2008, 22:59
Cabin
So were you going to call them up and make a reservation from Clyde Smith, and immediately roll in after getting off the trail. lol That will teach them to put in an upscale restaurant near the trail.

Buhzerker
02-28-2011, 10:33
restaurant and store is closed again.

Buhzerker
06-11-2018, 05:24
Clatrence's is really smoking now.. http://www.wjhl.com/news/clarences-drive-in-in-unicoi-destroyed-by-fire_20180123092041431/933991583 Gone and burnt to the ground. What an eyesore now due to the fact the Insurance company can't sort it out.. I hear Clarence's was so old they would not insure it...... Bummer for the owners..