PDA

View Full Version : REI's new product for fall 08

dmb658
02-02-2008, 21:11
" Seattle, WA, January 24th, 2008 — Recreational Equipment, Inc. (REI) today announced its collaboration with eVent™* fabrics in the development of REI’s new high-performance outerwear collection constructed with the revolutionary eVent three-ply waterproof breathable fabric.

When introduced next fall, REI Gear & Apparel – REI’s private label -- will be the first nationally distributed apparel brand in the country to bring eVent fabrics technology to its customers. This new brand-defining collection – consisting of the men’s REI Shuksan eVent jacket and pant, and the women’s REI Kulshan eVent jacket and pant -- represents the next wave of innovation for the outdoor retailer’s popular gear and clothing brand.

"REI's eVent jackets and pants are the pinnacle products within our impressive fall 2008 outerwear line, and will set the standard for future REI Gear & Apparel collections," said Lee Fromson, vice president of REI Gear & Apparel. "These products will be the first of many to feature this amazing technology in the seasons ahead, for our customers who place high value on product breathability during high aerobic activities."

The foundation of REI’s new outerwear is eVent fabric, which allows sweat to vent directly to the outside of the garment in one easy step through a process called Direct Venting™ technology. eVent fabrics get their unique properties from a proprietary and patented waterproof membrane. Its unique composition allows millions of tiny pores to breathe at their full potential. This process allows moisture to vent away from the body without condensing on the inside of the fabric, helping to keep the user dry no matter what the activity or conditions.

“Due to our direct venting technology, sweat escapes from the jacket while it is still water vapor. Traditional PU membranes force sweat out while it is in liquid form,” said Jim Lenox, the global product leader of consumer products for eVent fabrics.

“We are honored to collaborate with REI on this important project. For REI, this new product line represents a commitment to innovation, and to providing outdoor enthusiasts with the best products possible. Under the leadership of Fromson, REI’s team of designers created the Kulshan and Shuksan products with the best materials and construction processes available,” added Lenox.

Both the men’s REI Shuksan eVent jacket and pant and the women’s REI Kulshan eVent jacket and pant feature waterproof eVent fabric. All of which offer exceptional breathability to keep you dry and comfortable during backcountry skiing, snowboarding, mountaineering or any other highly aerobic pursuit requiring the most advanced technology.

The REI Shuksan and Kulshan eVent jackets will include oversized dual mesh-lined chest pockets that double as vents, eliminating the need for separate arm-pit zippered ventilation. They will also feature a fully adjustable helmet-compatible hood, and an inside security pocket with headphone port. The pants feature cargo pockets with waterproof zippers, built-in snow gaiters and full-length zippers on the outside of the legs.

The jackets will retail for $289, and the pants for $229. All four products in the collection will be available at all REI stores and online at www.REI.com (http://www.rei.com/) beginning in September 2008.

Inspiration from the product names comes from Washington state’s sister peaks Mt. Shuksan and Mt. Baker – for which the Native American name is “Kulshan” – home of some of the country’s best backcountry skiing located in the “backyard” of REI’s hometown. Aptly, the sister peaks hold the world record for the most snowfall in a single year, which was 96.6 feet in 1999.

About REI:
REI is a national outdoor retail co-op dedicated to inspiring, educating and outfitting its members and the community for a lifetime of outdoor adventure and stewardship. Founded in 1938 by a group of Pacific Northwest mountaineers seeking quality equipment, REI operates retail stores nationwide, two online stores – http://www.rei.com (http://www.rei.com/) and http://www.REI-OUTLET.com (http://www.rei-outlet.com/) – and an adventure travel company, REI Adventures. REI offers products from all of the top brands for camping, climbing, cycling, fitness, hiking, paddling, snow sports and travel, including its own line of award-winning outdoor gear and apparel. While anyone may join or shop at REI, members pay a one-time $20 fee and receive a share in the company’s profits through an annual member refund based on their purchases. As an active supporter of the communities in which it does business, REI is committed to promoting environmental stewardship and increasing access to outdoor recreation through education, volunteerism, gear donations and financial contributions.

About eVent fabrics:
eVent fabrics are made with GE’s proprietary expanded PTFE membrane technology to produce an exceptionally breathable, highly-functional waterproof laminate with a very loyal following. Honored by the American Alpine Institute with its prestigious Guides’ Choice award, eVent fabrics are used by more than 70 brands worldwide in their most demanding outerwear, footwear, gloves, hats, gaiters, sleeping bags and bivy bags. For additional information, please visit www.eventfabrics.com. (http://www.eventfabrics.com./) "

dmb658
02-02-2008, 21:13
i found this article when i came into work today, i thought i might share the news

Blissful
02-02-2008, 21:18
You still get hot hiking in breathable stuff. It's never really "breathable." Would be curious if it's been truly tested. Or if they have write-ups to that effect.

dmb658
02-02-2008, 21:26
i am very curious about everything that involves eVent because this is either A. a great product on the rise or B. a complete scam. theres not much information out there about it, and thats what is so intriguing

Toolshed
02-02-2008, 21:37
It reminds me of the story a quote by an Astronaut when asked if he is excited about blasting off into space. He quipped something like "Of course I am am excited about seeing one of Americas most expensively trained pilots hurtling off into the unknown backed up by a thousand parts all made by the lowest bidder...."
I have to wonder if REI is partnering with the makers of e-vent because they were a lower bidder than Gore..... Just curious....:-?

envirodiver
02-02-2008, 21:40
There are some people here on WB that don't like REI for various reasons, which I respect, but I feel certain that REI would not put their name on something that is a scam. It has likely been through some testing and will be put out to employees for field tests. I think I may sign up for some.

envirodiver
02-02-2008, 21:42
It reminds me of the story a quote by an Astronaut when asked if he is excited about blasting off into space. He quipped something like "Of course I am am excited about seeing one of Americas most expensively trained pilots hurtling off into the unknown backed up by a thousand parts all made by the lowest bidder...."
I have to wonder if REI is partnering with the makers of e-vent because they were a lower bidder than Gore..... Just curious....:-?

Is anyone other than The North Face using Gore-Tex anymore? it seems that the only places I'm seeing it are in 3 ply laminates by TNF.

Toolshed
02-02-2008, 21:46
Is anyone other than The North Face using Gore-Tex anymore? it seems that the only places I'm seeing it are in 3 ply laminates by TNF.
You make a great point...I wonder if Gore has decide to focus thier investments and efforts on industrial applications for their PTFE films/resins....

envirodiver
02-02-2008, 21:59
I don't know. My unsupported theory is that when the patent on Gore's membranes ran out and everyone else started making them that they became price prohibitive. With the 3-ply laminates they are always heavy. I'm not sure if the laminate itself is heavier or just the way that it is used. I am a fan of Gore tex. Ihave several winter parkas with Gore-tex and they are a winter dependable product IMO.

Darwin again
02-03-2008, 12:48
Marketing hype designed to separate sh(p)e(opl)eps from their money. The economy is tanking and they're desperately trying to perk up sales of discretionary-spending on yuppy bling.

That said, membraneous clothing depends on differential environmental conditions (moisture evaporates through it to drier conditions) to be effective. Most people will never encounter those conditions. Gore Tex and etc. is most useful in cold & dry weather conditions where light perspiration can escape and evaporate. In wet & warm or cold & wet conditions, it ranges from worse than useless to not so useful to uncomfortable. I've got Gore-tex that I wouldn't dream of taking on an AT hike -- too heavy.

Just my 2 c.

rafe
02-03-2008, 14:21
20 years later and I'm still ambivalent about GoreTex. I still have and use the GoreTex top/bottom that I bought from Campmor in 1990. It makes a nice, breathable lightweight outer shell for short walks close to home, but it doesn't begin to keep rain out any more.

Panzer1
02-03-2008, 14:54
The qualities of Gortex aside, I have a Gortex parka that is very well designed.
And I have seen a lot of Gortex clothing in stores that is well designed.

Panzer

NoKnees
02-03-2008, 15:03
Event fabric isn't a scam. There is public data availible for its performance characteristics. Like many other fabrics its availible in different weights. I would have to say for most outdoor clothing applications its quite a bit better fabric than gore-tex.A much better breathability profile.

The cloth has been hard to scource in the US and when its availible to the DIY crowd it cost 2-4x what gore tex does. How much of that is real cost or market forces I don't know. ID makes some event jackets and the reviews have been very positive. I would question wether REI will make outer wear that is well designed for a thru-hiker and if it will priced in a range we can afford (event stuff has been expensive).

Appalachian Tater
02-03-2008, 18:36
Pit zips and other vents work better than "breathable" fabric.

shelterbuilder
02-03-2008, 18:47
Here, again, I think there's money to be made in clothing that can't be made in equipment. I'm sorry, but I think that over $500 for a rain suit is outrageous! Too many people with too much money for "toys" and not enough common sense.

River Runner
02-03-2008, 21:52
Here, again, I think there's money to be made in clothing that can't be made in equipment. I'm sorry, but I think that over $500 for a rain suit is outrageous! Too many people with too much money for "toys" and not enough common sense.

And there are probably people who think that paying over the $30-$40 bucks you can buy a sleeping bag for at Wal-Mart is outrageous. ;)

Just a matter of perspective.

I do have to admit though that I would like to see eVent jackets available in a much less expensive range. The nice thing about it being available at REI is that if a person really doesn't think it's better than something cheaper they can return it for a refund. Maybe there will be some good deals on returned eVent jackets. Too bad I don't live near an REI. :(

River Runner
02-03-2008, 21:58
Pit zips and other vents work better than "breathable" fabric.

I've always found it interesting that pit zips are supposed to disperse so much heat that they help control sweating. Usually it's my back or upper chest where heat builds up the most, and they don't do much to help dispel heat from there. I haven't noticed they really seem to help much for me - maybe because heat rises? Unfortunately vents in the areas that would help dispel heat the most (shoulders, upper back) would also let the rain in. I've found that opening the front zipper dispels heat much quicker, but that only works if it isn't raining too hard.