PDA

View Full Version : Thru Hiker Tent

Chappy
01-03-2004, 23:41
I put this here in an effort to keep replies simple. Please don't turn this into a tarp discussion or merits of a particular tent or any type discussion. I prefer to do my own research on merits, etc. Hope you understand. ;)

Ok, with the ground rules in place here goes:

I'd be very interested in hearing from thru hikers or multiple section hikers the TENT you carried. Tent name and manufacturer will be enough. Thanks.

screwysquirrel
01-04-2004, 00:09
Solo, I carry a Eureka Solitaire 2lbs, 9 oz.

MedicineMan
01-04-2004, 00:42
For solo section hikes when tenting (hopefully never again) I use the Hilleberg Akto- 2lb 10oz(after mods) and 4 season..most brilliant design in a tent I have ever seen, though there are imitators out there.

Youngblood
01-04-2004, 10:42
I used a Sierra Design's Light Year on the sections that I tented in 2000.

Cedar Tree
01-04-2004, 10:57
I carried a Coleman Cobra on my hike. I now have the newer scaled down version, the Peak1 solo.

Peaks
01-04-2004, 11:03
Walrus Zoid 1.0, now made by MSR. I liked the side entry. I could reach everywhere inside without crawling inside.

uscgretired
01-04-2004, 11:09
North Face Canyonlands Solo Tent.

Blue Wolf
01-04-2004, 15:17
Mountain Hardware Waypoint solo ...................2lbs 2ozs

Chappy
01-04-2004, 18:37
To those who've posted: Thanks. Amazed at the diversity.

Others: Please continue to list your tent. Thank you.

jigsaw
01-04-2004, 20:08
I put this here in an effort to keep replies simple. Please don't turn this into a tarp discussion or merits of a particular tent or any type discussion. I prefer to do my own research on merits, etc. Hope you understand. ;)

I'd be very interested in hearing from thru hikers or multiple section hikers the TENT you carried. Tent name and manufacturer will be enough. Thanks.
the north face canyonlands

Moose2001
01-04-2004, 20:50
in 2001 a Sierra Design Clipflashlight. In 2003 a Wanderlust Nomad.

B Thrash
01-04-2004, 21:01
North Face Canyonlands Solo Tent here.

tribes
01-05-2004, 00:28
sierra designs lightyear

bearbag hanger
01-05-2004, 12:10

I've used the North Face Canyonland - I like the way it's built, but at 4 lb + it was getting heavy. Then briefly used a Wonderlust Nomad. Light, not as much protection from the weather as the Canyonland. Then I tried a Hennessey Hammock (the Clark Hammocks look good to) and will never go back.

Jaybird
01-05-2004, 12:32
i've used the Kelty Dart-2 for the past 2 years....its a good bivy-style tent.
cost: approx. $100-130. weight: 2lbs 8oz.

happy hikin'

see U up the trail in 2004! ;)

ga2me97
01-05-2004, 13:14
Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight

Patco
01-05-2004, 14:18
Piece of "you get what you pay for" $35.00 3 lb bivy tent off of Ebay (green and yellow) that I used when shelter space was not available. :rolleyes:

The Wicked Lobstah
01-05-2004, 14:21
i've used the Kelty Dart-2 for the past 2 years....its a good bivy-style tent.
cost: approx. $100-130. weight: 2lbs 8oz.
;)

Jaybird,
Have you had problems with condensation? I had a dart 2 for about 2 weeks, but would get so wet inside (even with all vents and the door open) that I unloaded it on ebay. Just curious if you experienced the same thing.

Matt Pincham
01-05-2004, 14:36
For my thru-hike in 2004 my girlfriend and I will be using the MSR Zoid 2.0. If I was soloing I'd go with the Zoid 1.0

Uncle Wayne
01-06-2004, 04:36
Peak 1 Aries, weighs in at about 4.5 pounds though. 2 adults and some gear room.

Jaybird
01-06-2004, 06:20
Piece of "you get what you pay for" $35.00 3 lb bivy tent off of Ebay (green and yellow) that I used when shelter space was not available. :rolleyes:

was that green & yellow tent a Knollwood tent?
if so...............i bought my wife one (for her occassional hiking/backpacking) & it works fine for an overnighter from time to time. ;)

kythruhiker
01-06-2004, 09:35
Haven't thru-d yet, but the original plan (and what I've been using for the last 3 years) is a SD Clip Flashlight. Just got a Eureka Zeus EXO 2 as a X-mas gift, which may be it's replacement, only time will tell.

Take care,
Ed

Doc
01-06-2004, 13:33
I use the SD Lightyear and have gone to the lightweight version of the same tent. Love ease of set-up and fits perfectly.

Doc

gravityman
01-06-2004, 14:15
We started off carrying the whole clip flashlight tent. Aswah recommended that we try using just the fly. We gave it a shot, and it worked amazingly well. We just stuck the poles right into the ground and set the rainfly up over that. Used a sheet of tyvek as a ground cloth. After we tried it, we sent home the body at the next town. Never had a problem finding a place to set it up, and we were tenting most nights after march ended or so. When the bugs came out we got some netting from campmor that we just drapped over the poles. Again, worked like a charm. The best thing was the extra room of not having the tent body.

Next time we hike we will use our Wanderlust 2-4-2 single wall tent. Great tent for 2 people. Also looking at the Cloudburst as a more wind worth tent (the 2-4-2 doesn't like strong winds at all!).

Gravity Man

Sleepy the Arab
01-06-2004, 23:22
1999 - Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight
2001 - The North Face Slickrock
Next time thru - Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight

Chappy
01-06-2004, 23:24
Thanks to everyone who has replied. Gives me a headstart on research for the tent I feel is best for me. Really appreciate the "Straight Forward" answers!

illininagel
01-07-2004, 01:08
I use the SD Lightyear and have gone to the lightweight version of the same tent. Love ease of set-up and fits perfectly.

Doc

Doc, I am considering various tents right now. Do you think that the SD Lightyear would comfortably accomodate me? I am 6' 3" tall.

Thanks.

Naked Dog
01-09-2004, 11:14
MSR has just come out with a 3lb solo tent called the Hubba. I am hesitant to purchase because it is only 26" wide.

Does anyone have any experience with this tent?

Peaks
01-09-2004, 17:20
MSR has just come out with a 3lb solo tent called the Hubba. I am hesitant to purchase because it is only 26" wide.

Does anyone have any experience with this tent?

not if it's a brand new tent design

tlbj6142
01-09-2004, 17:38
I'm not a tent user, but if I were, I'd seriously look at www.tarptent.com (http://www.tarptent.com/) and www.sixmoondesigns.com (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/) (Europa II). Both get rave reviews from everyone that uses them. Check out www.backpackgeartest.org (http://www.backpackgeartest.org/) for reviews.

Brushy Sage
01-09-2004, 19:42
I use the North Face Canyonlands

Patco
01-09-2004, 19:55
was that green & yellow tent a Knollwood tent?
if so...............i bought my wife one (for her occassional hiking/backpacking) & it works fine for an overnighter from time to time. ;)

Yes J bird it is the Knollwood. And it is fine for occasional use - I agree. Even with it's mesh top, my dad and I made major condensation at Deep gap one night during a cold drizzle / fog. Mice ate a hole in it while it was in my pack at Overmountain shelter.

Freeze
01-10-2004, 03:40
i will use a Tarptent - Squall (24.5 oz) with the optional sewn-in floor (5.5 oz).

Doc
01-10-2004, 10:15
Doc, I am considering various tents right now. Do you think that the SD Lightyear would comfortably accomodate me? I am 6' 3" tall.

Thanks.
It will be tight-very tight. I am 5-8 when I stand on a $2 bill and I fell very comfortable, but I don't know how a taller person would feel. I love the tent, wishing only that the fly came down another inch. I would buy one again. Incidently,I have a regular one (not the lightweight one)for sale. $60 bucks and I will pick up the postage.

Doc

highway
01-10-2004, 10:49
Integral Designs Silshelter.

Link here:

http://www.integraldesigns.com/tarps-frame.htm

~1 pound gives you shelter, room to put ALL your gear inside beside you and, if need be, can even squeeze in another occasionally [but you had better be REAL close] :p

I guess for colder weather I'd still take it; otherwise the hammock's for me :)

Skyline
01-10-2004, 11:48
For weight, room, and ease of setup/takedown the Eureka Zeus 2 is one you should at least look into.

oyvay
01-10-2004, 14:26
I used a Eureka backcountry 2, it was 5 lbs. and freestanding. Lots of room but heavy.
I now have a mtn. hardware PCT1, IMHO roomy enough for me and my pack and only about 3 lbs.

Footslogger
01-10-2004, 19:49
I started out with a Wanderlust Nomad Lite. In Pearsiburg I switched over to a Hennessey Hammock, thinking I would save some weight. I wasn't happy with the hammock but was in a position where I could not get my orginal tent back right away. So I purchased a GoLite Cave I and an OR Bug Bivy. Carried that combination for about a month and then got my Nomad Lite back. If I had it to do all over again I would have kept the Cave and the Bug Bivy. Much lighter, more flexible and easier to set up.

Not planning another thru-hike soon but if I was I would go with a tarp of some sort and a bug bivy.

tlbj6142
01-10-2004, 21:38
Not planning another thru-hike soon but if I was I would go with a tarp of some sort and a bug bivy.Nice thing about a separate bug bivy you can use it in a shelter when the bugs are bad. If your tent has an integrated bug net you have to setup and use the entire tent, even if all you need is the bug netting. Of course you could carry a separate bug net just for shelters, but that seems a bit overkill.

Something to think about...

stranger
01-10-2004, 22:41
Jack Wolfskin Soloist...under 3 lbs...not available in the US anymore.

mdjeeper
01-11-2004, 14:14
I(we)'ve been using a Sierra Designs Omega CD.. tad heavier but survives all of the conditions we use it in (lots of white mtns camping)

Naked Dog
01-11-2004, 17:49
not if it's a brand new tent design

I think it's pretty clear that I was trying to catch the eye of any gear reps and, or people that might be employed at an outfitter.

Chappy
01-13-2004, 06:58
I really appreciate the responses to my question. The great diversity of tents used is amazing. I'm plowing through my research in an effort to select the tent that meets my needs.

Peaks
01-13-2004, 09:28
I really appreciate the responses to my question. The great diversity of tents used is amazing. I'm plowing through my research in an effort to select the tent that meets my needs.

The diversity is not confined to tent choices. It applies to all gear: Packs, sleeping bags, stoves, clothing, food. Even water containers.

screwysquirrel
01-16-2004, 23:42
I carried a Coleman Cobra on my hike. I now have the newer scaled down version, the Peak1 solo.
Wooo great tent but I haven't been able find another like it used one in 2000 (peak) and sure would like to find another. :clap

stickat04
01-17-2004, 04:18
I was at Rei today and they have a new tent was at 4.2 when i put it on the scale specs say 4.4 here is the link.. rain fly looked a little week.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&productId=47687600&catalogId=40000008000&stat=hp2

Cedar Tree
01-17-2004, 11:18
Screwysquirrel, check on ebay. I've seen Cobras on ebay lots of times, at really good prices too. If you hike alone, the new solo is pretty nice too. There's only 1 door and 1 vestibule on the new, smaller version, and they added a short pole at the end where your feet go, so it weighs about the same, but I really like it. Cedar Tree

Wooo great tent but I haven't been able find another like it used one in 2000 (peak) and sure would like to find another. :clap

screwysquirrel
01-21-2004, 04:56
Screwysquirrel, check on ebay. I've seen Cobras on ebay lots of times, at really good prices too. If you hike alone, the new solo is pretty nice too. There's only 1 door and 1 vestibule on the new, smaller version, and they added a short pole at the end where your feet go, so it weighs about the same, but I really like it. Cedar Tree
Thanks for the info, I'm gonna need a new tent this year if I can find one like that. The one I've is kinda small and I need a larger one because I like being able to bring my bag in with me when the weather turns bad.

Rain Man
01-21-2004, 12:17
I was at Rei today and they have a new tent was at 4.2 when i put it on the scale specs say 4.4 here is the link.. rain fly looked a little week.
http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&productId=47687600&catalogId=40000008000&stat=hp2

That's the "Quarter Dome."

I have the REI "Roadster." Weighs in at under 3lbs or so. A really neat little tent IMHO.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47600028&parent_category_rn=4500666

sawwhetowl
01-21-2004, 14:30
[QUOTE=Footslogger]I started out with a Wanderlust Nomad Lite. In Pearsiburg I switched over to a Hennessey Hammock, thinking I would save some weight. I wasn't happy with the hammock but was in a position where I could not get my orginal tent back right away.

What was your complaint with the HH?

VSA
01-21-2004, 21:01
sierra design ultra light cd. one person. best tent , ever

illininagel
01-21-2004, 21:40
sierra design ultra light cd. one person. best tent , ever
VSA, would the ultra light cd accomodate a tall person (6' 3")? I'm still searching for a light weight tent that would be suitable.

Thanks

MECman
03-23-2004, 13:28
I think it's pretty clear that I was trying to catch the eye of any gear reps and, or people that might be employed at an outfitter.
Hey Naked Dog,
I bought the Hubba a couple weeks ago. While I have not used it outside yet, pitching it in the basement was fast thanks to the clips on the tent body, which can be setup after the fly is up. The walls of the tent are near vertical which creates lots of usable space inside, length is good enought for me (I am 6'2) as is the height of the tent, but it is on the narrow side though it won't be a problem for me as I don't move lots when I sleep. I'll be using it for tree planting and hiking this summer so I'll post again after all that's done.
Cheers!!!

Nightwalker
03-24-2004, 22:43

I've been using a Sierra Designs Light Year CD. 2.5 pounds, very comfortable, double-wall with a vestibule, no condensation problems.

Just the facts, ma'am. :)

Frank

hungryhowie
03-25-2004, 09:03
In 2000, began with Marmot Ecclipse 1-person @ ~4 pounds. It sucked. Way too heavy and acted like a sail anytime there was wind.

I switched to an Integral Designs Sil Shelter @14oz in Pearisburg and have been using it exclusively for the past 4 years now. I made a little bug-netting enclosure (10oz) that hangs underneath to protect my partner and myself. Like someone else said, it can fit two people, but you'd better not mind being close. I hike with my gf...so obviously no problems there. Set up properly, the SilShelter has withstood many mighty storms and their accompanying deluges. While I am very happy with the setup, for my next thruhike I'll probably go with a Tarptent (Virga for solo, Squall for two) to save a little set-up hassle.

-Howie

beckon4
03-25-2004, 15:54
I carried a wonderlust Nomad in 2002 after my son's recommedation. He carried that tent in 2001 from Alabama to Cap Gaspe and love it.

Cheddar/Beth

Datto
03-25-2004, 16:14
On my Year 2000 northbound AT thru-hike I used a Wanderlust Gear one-person Nomad tent. Here's a photo and website:

http://www.wanderlustgear.com

That is a fabulous one-person AT tent. A perfect tent for that thru-hike -- I couldn't have asked for a better tent during Year 2000.

I carried a 2 person Nomad tent (Nomad 2-4-2) in New Zealand, Kauai and Scotland in 2002 and that Nomad tent was fabulous there too. I made a pole adapter to take the center hiking pole support out of the middle of the 2-4-2 tent floor and move the pole to the side (like the one-person Nomad does), then seam sealed the heck out of it. One night in Scotland when I pitched too close to a river (crowded, restricted camp area), the water rose and I woke up with my Nomad tent floating with my stake-outs taught. Didn't have a drop of water inside the tent but the water was close to coming over the gunwales. Great against the midges in Scotland too.

Datto

walkon
03-25-2004, 16:22
golite hex 3
walkon

Chappy
03-25-2004, 18:49
On my Year 2000 northbound AT thru-hike I used a Wanderlust Gear one-person Nomad tent. Here's a photo and website:

http://www.wanderlustgear.comDatto

That's a cool tent.

Toolshed
03-26-2004, 09:56
Jack Wolfskin Soloist ?
I have my 1998 model in excellent condition on E-bay right now..... (Hope I don't offend anybody) I like the Wolfskin very much, but I gotta clear the house now and again....
I recently picked up the BD Beta Light and the associated Beta Bug. Slept in it a couple of times now and I think I am really hooked on it. :)

snuggums
03-28-2004, 16:42
During my thru hike in 1996, I used a Walrus Swift (around 3 lbs.), which I believe nowadays is the MSR Zoid 1. These days I'll be using a Black Diamond Lighthouse.

skeeterbait92
04-14-2004, 13:40
I used a Sierra Designs Divine Lightning on my thru. Aprroximately 2.5 lbs. I now carry a Nomad.

skeeter

Chappy
04-14-2004, 17:08
Thanks for all the replies. I've had fun reading about the many tents you've used. I have a couple in mind, but won't yet say what they are.

I have another question: Who had condensation problems with their tent and what tent was used?

nero
04-14-2004, 20:38
I've got about 160+ miles on my Sierra Designs Light Year CD, and plan on using it for my thru hike in 2006.

Chappy
05-24-2004, 22:07
I really appreciate your replies. What you've used has help me decide on what I hope is the right tent for me. Have had lots of choices to research. I have ordered the MSR Zoid 1 and it will be shipped to my home in the US and should be waiting on me when I return 8 June. Really looking forward to putting it to use. :)

Mountain Dew
05-24-2004, 22:28
Chappy...you might try the Zoid 1.5........it has a little more room and little weight gain. I used a zoid on my thru-hike and loved it even after a week of rain on the trail. Staying dry was very important to me and thats what i stayed even after the hardest rain you can imagine. Good Luck !!!