PDA

View Full Version : Night vision......

wrongway_08
02-03-2008, 12:24
HHmmm........ dont know why I thought of this but it would be cool to have along. Being able to see all the things going bump in the night, catching snakes hiding here and there. Watching the racoon stealing your buddies food :D. Scaring boyscouts camped out along the trail. Chasing animals through the woods. Could be a lot of fun and add a whole nother deminsion to a thru-hike :cool:.

If only the suckers didnt weigh around 1lb ........ :mad:........ who am I kidding, I'd be too lazy to carry around an extra 3oz I didnt really need to have with me.

dixicritter
02-03-2008, 12:27
I'd honestly be tempted.... even with the weight. :D

mudhead
02-03-2008, 12:30
I am cheap and they are $. I would like to mess around with one. Guess I have to make do freezing toads with a headlight.

Bearpaw
02-03-2008, 12:36
HHmmm........ dont know why I thought of this but it would be cool to have along. Being able to see all the things going bump in the night, catching snakes hiding here and there. Watching the racoon stealing your buddies food :D. Scaring boyscouts camped out along the trail. Chasing animals through the woods. Could be a lot of fun and add a whole nother deminsion to a thru-hike :cool:.

If only the suckers didnt weigh around 1lb ........ :mad:........ who am I kidding, I'd be too lazy to carry around an extra 3oz I didnt really need to have with me.

The optics aren't very good on the civilian versions I've used. But they ARE lighter than the military "cyclops" goggles I used in the Marine Corps. They would be good for watching the critters steal your food bag. Unfortunately as soon as the nearest hiker blasted the critter with a flashlight, you wouldn't see anything for a minute or two (washout in NVG's looks kind of like the sun). There's always that one joker who thinks this is funny. :mad:

gldwings1
02-03-2008, 12:44
I thought some companies were making GenIII quality optics. And as for the blindness, the filters now are of such quality that except for the MEGA light sources, the million CP monsters, the NVG's keep ya from being blind. I had the same NVG's you did, and hated Marines using white light at night, light discipline violations, while some of us were NV capable trying to lead the ops. Anyway there are AWESOME NV scopes and monoculars available but the cost is $$$$$$$$$ and not worth it for the joy of scaring a scout. And as a scouter, please don't. There are scouts who have a hard enough time playing in the woods for the weekend without the terror of an experienced hiker,backpacker adding to their anxiety unnecessarily, but for your other intentions for the NVG's, go for it.

micromega
02-03-2008, 12:46
I seem to recall that most night animals don't have color vision, so if your intent is to spy on wildlife a red tint flashlight would be the economical way to do it. But night vision would be fun, just for the sheer gee-whiz of it all.

Of course, if your intent is to spy on the two legged wildlife, thats a whole 'nother story.

RiverWarriorPJ
02-03-2008, 12:53
I carry a pair all the time......I think mine are 3rd generation....& weigh more than a pound....

wrongway_08
02-03-2008, 14:05
Of course, if your intent is to spy on the two legged wildlife, thats a whole 'nother story.

Never thought of that, bet there are sickos out there doing it......... guess the self induce love life will have to wait for hotel rooms.......:eek:

doggiebag
02-03-2008, 14:22
Never thought of that, bet there are sickos out there doing it......... guess the self induce love life will have to wait for hotel rooms.......:eek:
:eek::eek::eek:!:eek: Ha ha ha! I'm saving this post you made before you realize what you posted!:D:D:D

doggiebag
02-03-2008, 14:24

:eek::eek::eek:!:eek: Ha ha ha! I'm saving this post you made before you realize what you posted!:D:D:D

I therefore christen you with a new trailname .... "Spanksalone" ... LOL :banana:banana:banana!

wrongway_08
02-03-2008, 14:40
I therefore christen you with a new trailname .... "Spanksalone" ... LOL :banana:banana:banana!

Hahahahhaha.........:D:D......:banana...... fell off the chair on that one!!!!!!

AT-HITMAN2005
02-03-2008, 14:45
And as a scouter, please don't. There are scouts who have a hard enough time playing in the woods for the weekend without the terror of an experienced hiker,backpacker adding to their anxiety unnecessarily, but for your other intentions for the NVG's, go for it.

if i remember right, half the fun of being in scouts was scaring the crap out of each other on the over nights. :D

wrongway_08
02-03-2008, 15:00
Yea, its a right of passage!

Besides, you as the scouter should be telling murder stories and related stuff to scare them yourself, we would be just adding to the realism of the event.

Pedaling Fool
02-03-2008, 16:21
We would run security drill with them on the ship and they take a while to get used to, especially the depth perception. But with enough practice it's kinda cool. Also had fun scaring people by sneaking up on them, forget the boy scouts, would be really fun to harrass those college groups:D

hammock engineer
02-03-2008, 16:24
If you enjoy it, carry it. My whole reason for dropping weight out of the pack is to carry other things.

I have often thought about setting up a night vision camera next to me or in a shelter to see what goes on while everyone is asleep.

shelterbuilder
02-03-2008, 16:27
We would run security drill with them on the ship and they take a while to get used to, especially the depth perception. But with enough practice it's kinda cool. Also had fun scaring people by sneaking up on them, forget the boy scouts, would be really fun to harrass those college groups:D

...just watch out for the paranoid-types with guns...

Blissful
02-03-2008, 17:57
Eat lots of carrots. They help with your night vision. :)

dixicritter
02-03-2008, 18:09

I've eaten so many carrots I thought I was gonna turn into a bunny rabbit and it hasn't help one darn bit yet. ;)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-03-2008, 18:10
::: Dino hops by :::

doggiebag
02-03-2008, 18:11
In addition ... if he ceased his nocturnal hand jive - he can prevent his self-inflicted blindness. Just eat the carrots Wrongway - and think of the kittens.

Blissful
02-03-2008, 18:12
I've eaten so many carrots I thought I was gonna turn into a bunny rabbit and it hasn't help one darn bit yet. ;)

lol - Yeah, not everything works.

I have a friend that's nearly blind at night, she can't drive then either. My night vision isn't what it used to be. I am also developing cataracts, so twilight is actually more of a pain for me. The halo effect.

fonsie
02-03-2008, 18:23
wow im a ditch the 2nd stove and get me a pair of night visions.....

wrongway_08
02-03-2008, 18:32
Now your thinking Fonsie!!! Just remember, they are not built for abuse like the stove, so you night want to carry a back up :)

Sorry for not returning your call the other day - didnt check my cell till way later in the day.

fonsie
02-03-2008, 19:44
well these were the 2 nicest days of hiking I've had in a wile.... perfic wheather there was still a little ice and snow up past weaverton cliffs and Ed Garvey shelter. There where so many people out there