PDA

View Full Version : Open cell foam pad

brian
01-04-2004, 00:24
Does anyone still use open cell foam pads? Im not talking about thermarests or other inflatable pads, but just a pad out of open cell foam. I have some that are quite old, and weigh somewhere close to 5-7oz each. They provide quite a bit of comfort when combined with a warmer closed cell foam pad. Anyone?

Brian
Future Thru Hiker 2013

MedicineMan
01-04-2004, 01:54
Brian a lot of us are going to hammocks and wrestling with the use of close cell pads, but for winter ground work they beat Therm-A-Rests hands down, though bulky and a pain to strap on the outside of the pack they are economical and long lived (hard to puncture), but older closed cell pads do loose their r value and what little comfort they had to offer.
Some are using the closed cell pads in hammocks too...I have a varied collection of closed cell pads from over 3 decades of hiking, my latest is from Knox Foam but it is still in the wrapper and untested, the beauty of it though is that it is 5 feet wide and 8 feet long. I intended to scupt it to fit in the Hennessey and prevent cold-shoulder-wrap but have been playing with other ways to beat cold in the hammock.
Soon we will be doing a section around Roanoke. I will take a closed cell foam pad just in case I am forced out of the hammock and onto the hard cold ground, for a experimental hammock session the closed cell pad will be cheap (well lightweight) insurance at around 10oz.
MedMan

Peaks
01-04-2004, 10:54
Does anyone still use open cell foam pads? Im not talking about thermarests or other inflatable pads, but just a pad out of open cell foam. I have some that are quite old, and weigh somewhere close to 5-7oz each. They provide quite a bit of comfort when combined with a warmer closed cell foam pad. Anyone?

Brian
Future Thru Hiker 2013

Don't get confused between open cell pads and closed cell pads.

Generally speaking, open cell pads are bulky. Closed cell pads are thin. And to answer your question, you do see both types used along the trail, as well as thermarest pads.

Kerosene
01-04-2004, 17:55
Open cell pads will also tend to suck up any moisture in the vicinity, adding unwanted weight that is difficult to remove.