PDA

View Full Version : Things I have learned while hiking with a dog.

Cowgirl
02-03-2008, 20:18
1. Carry pepper spray to spray an unleashed dog that runs up to your leashed dog. My dog was seriously mauled by 2 dogs and now I am hyper vigilant and leave nothing to chance.

2. A dog on the trail will limit my time in town and how many double cheeseburgers and ice cream bars I can eat and force me back into the woods where life is cheaper since dogs are not welcome in many places.

3. When the dog sleeping in the tent with you is startled by a shunk right at the door and "woofs" and startles the skunk..........the skunk will be able to spray both of you dead on while you are inside the tent.

4. My dog can run circles around me all day but I keep him at my side all the time & tied in camp so he doesn't molest wildlife or any stray poodles.

5. I stay away from shelters not only because it is a personal prefrence but because I expect most people dislike my dog as much as I can dislike other peoples dogs.

6. I would never hike without a dog by my side and have always been blessed with having dogs that love the woods & hitting the trail as much as I do (plus he keeps me from coming in contact with mean or silly humans that think dogs can't handle or shouldn't be on the trail).

:banana

aaroniguana
02-03-2008, 20:23
Well said, sister!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/Zoomie/DSCF0012.jpg

JAK
02-03-2008, 20:34
Are leashes always neccessary everywhere on the AT? I have seen some amazingly well trained dogs. I know this guy in Toronto. It's almost creepy how well trained his dogs are. They are also not big. One is small, the other medium. Your dog could just as well be mauled by a dog on a leash. I am not against leashes. I'm just saying training is more important, and I have no use for dangerous breeds even when well trained.

JAK
02-03-2008, 20:34
Well said, sister!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/Zoomie/DSCF0012.jpgNow there is a beautiful dog.

Cowgirl
02-03-2008, 20:38
aaaah Jak! You will notice I said "by my side" and not on a leash.

My dog is trained to walk right behind me. If someone comes up behind us or towards us I snap him in. Unless I am in an area that it is crowded or near a road. He knows better than to leave my side without permision!

Cowgirl
02-03-2008, 20:40
Well said, sister!Is that a Eureka tent? If so what model? My last trip was a Erueka tent and I loved it, but I don't recal the rainfly like that one is.

aaroniguana
02-03-2008, 20:40
That's Angus the wonderdog. Black Lab and English Mastif. He's a lab and a half. I keep him leashed outside the yard, he does not leave my side even to chase a squirrel. He and I have spent several nights under that old Eureka fly.

aaroniguana
02-03-2008, 20:43
Is that a Eureka tent? If so what model? My last trip was a Erueka tent and I loved it, but I don't recal the rainfly like that one is.

That's just the rainfly, a tyvek floor, two hiking poles, two 3' guylines and 6 gutternails. It works very well when there aren't any bugs. Packs to the size of a 1 liter aquafina bottle and can sleep 2, a large dog and gear.

JAK
02-03-2008, 20:45
Sorry about that. It was your first sentence that threw me off. Sounds like your dog is really well trained. I don't expect dogs that I run into to be on a leash or super well trained, only reasonably well trained and not dangerous. I love to see dogs on trails, even silly dogs that haven't been trained properly as long as they are happy and loved and not dangerous.

ChinMusic
02-03-2008, 20:46
re Things I have learned while hiking with a dog.

To bring a pair of disposable rubber gloves with me in case pooch finds something REAL stinky to roll around in, and I have to give him a "bath".

doggiebag
02-03-2008, 20:47
aaaah Jak! You will notice I said "by my side" and not on a leash.

My dog is trained to walk right behind me. If someone comes up behind us or towards us I snap him in. Unless I am in an area that it is crowded or near a road. He knows better than to leave my side without permision!
Same with my pooch. I usually just leash him to my pack when around parking lots or when we take a break somewhere. He's got a squirrel/pigeon issue.
http://209.200.85.146/trailjournals/photos/6536/tj6536_011308_142010_291035.jpg

JAK
02-03-2008, 20:49
God I wish I had a dog, and I don't mean that in vain.

Cowgirl
02-03-2008, 21:09
God I wish I had a dog, and I don't mean that in vain.
Dogs are great but everything I do in my life revolves around if my dog is able to do it. So it can be very limiting if you don't have a routine. I'm a traveller and it is quite a hassle sometimes. But he makes me hike every day weather I want to or not.

I origionally got this dog whan I was working cattle in the mountains of Wyoming and there where too many Grizzly Bears. This breed is fearless when it comes to bears and I got him for protection as well as excellent at working cattle.

Nearly Normal
02-03-2008, 22:02
Carrying pepper spray may not be legal.

Cowgirl
02-03-2008, 22:19
Carrying pepper spray may not be legal.Let the trail cops search me :D

aaroniguana
02-03-2008, 22:21
Won't have to search me. Just look at my left hand pole.

JAK
02-03-2008, 22:23
Beautiful looking dog Cowgirl. Looks very well trained, and very loved.

Nest
02-03-2008, 22:35
That's why I carry one trekking pole, strapped to the side of my pack leaning forward slightly. I can reach back and pull it out Ghostbuster style in a hurry. That alone usually gets people to put their aggressive dog on a leash.

Cowgirl
02-03-2008, 22:51
Won't have to search me. Just look at my left hand pole.is that where you carry yours?

Beautiful looking dog Cowgirl. Looks very well trained, and very loved.Do you want to rent him? :D Then you will be cured of your deire for a dog (he is a 70lb beastie boy that thinks he should sit in your lap at all times)

This is my long departed friend Bucky that rode with me from Key West to Alaska. We did many section hike together as well over the years.

desdemona
02-03-2008, 23:39
http://209.200.85.146/trailjournals/photos/6536/tj6536_011308_142010_291035.jpg[/IMG]

Your dog looks like he is having a little smoke!! He even has his fancy smoking jacket on. You should probably tell him he's too young. I'm sure you've tried... :sun

--des

scavenger
02-03-2008, 23:42
I've learned that while I was able to train my family's beagle to be very obedient off leash when hiking and on walks, I'll never get her to stop begging. I blame my mom for slipping her treats under the table.

I've also learned that a dog who seems old and lazy around the house acts like a puppy again once you bring him/her to the woods.

ChinMusic
02-03-2008, 23:47
I also learned that a wet dog adds to condensation exponentially.

berninbush
02-03-2008, 23:50
I just took my golden retriever Lucy camping for the first time last night. (I just got her in October.) She LOVES it out there. And she looks really "in her element" just sitting in the woods, staring out across the lake. :) Wish I'd had a camera.

She's pretty well-behaved on the trail, when we meet other people and dogs-- greets them with wagging tail. The only issue was when we were camped. Apparently, when I set up my tent, she assumed that was "our" territory and became protective. Last night she barked at a boat out on the lake that was shining lights in our direction (and I couldn't get her to quiet down). This morning a hiker passed us while I was kneeling inside my tent and she darted off and barked at him until he was past. Thankfully he didn't seem unduly frightened and handled it with grace, and thankfully she had no intention of hurting him... but I know other hikers would be disturbed by that (and someone might go after her with pepper spray or a stick).

At home, when someone comes to the door, she generally barks until I greet them and she knows it's ok. I like that because it makes me feel safer-- I don't want to stop her from barking completely, just to be quiet on command. She actually seemed more protective of the tent than she is of the house. Any suggestions on how to train her to "stand down"?

doggiebag
02-04-2008, 00:00
I just took my golden retriever Lucy camping for the first time last night. (I just got her in October.) She LOVES it out there. And she looks really "in her element" just sitting in the woods, staring out across the lake. :) Wish I'd had a camera.

She's pretty well-behaved on the trail, when we meet other people and dogs-- greets them with wagging tail. The only issue was when we were camped. Apparently, when I set up my tent, she assumed that was "our" territory and became protective. Last night she barked at a boat out on the lake that was shining lights in our direction (and I couldn't get her to quiet down). This morning a hiker passed us while I was kneeling inside my tent and she darted off and barked at him until he was past. Thankfully he didn't seem unduly frightened and handled it with grace, and thankfully she had no intention of hurting him... but I know other hikers would be disturbed by that (and someone might go after her with pepper spray or a stick).

At home, when someone comes to the door, she generally barks until I greet them and she knows it's ok. I like that because it makes me feel safer-- I don't want to stop her from barking completely, just to be quiet on command. She actually seemed more protective of the tent than she is of the house. Any suggestions on how to train her to "stand down"?
I usually secure my dog when I have my camp setup. The dog's protective instinct is hard to controll when they feel the need to protect you or the camp. Dogs are happier when they have their own little area ... as opposed to having to feel protective of a wider area when left to roam on a campsite. It's easier on you and the dog when they know when you set the limits of their area of control. Otherwise they will constantly challenge any and all intruders to camp. I usually setup my camp as far from human traffic as possible - that being don't setup camp where people will walk close to your tent or hammock. After a long day of hiking the dog is usually content to just snooze away.

pedal
02-04-2008, 09:37
Dogs are great but everything I do in my life revolves around if my dog is able to do it. So it can be very limiting if you don't have a routine. I'm a traveller and it is quite a hassle sometimes. But he makes me hike every day weather I want to or not.

I origionally got this dog whan I was working cattle in the mountains of Wyoming and there where too many Grizzly Bears. This breed is fearless when it comes to bears and I got him for protection as well as excellent at working cattle.

Cowgirl, I couldn't agree with you more- dogs are great! My life also revolves around what I can do WITH my Cookie Dog. I have told my friends that if Cookie can't come, I can't come! She (and other dogs that have owned me) has enriched my life so much it's incredible.

Glad to hear from another dog loving, hiking, biking fool!

Sherri and CookieDog

pedal
02-04-2008, 09:40

6. I would never hike without a dog by my side and have always been blessed with having dogs that love the woods & hitting the trail as much as I do (plus he keeps me from coming in contact with mean or silly humans that think dogs can't handle or shouldn't be on the trail).

Amen.

Sherri and CookieDog

cowboy nichols
02-04-2008, 10:11
I too have had many happy years with my dog companions,It is a sad fact they live far to short a time. I also don't go where my dog is not welcome, my kids are not always happy with that but I only see some of them on rare occasion, my dog is with me 24-7 and doesn't feel it is a duty visit. Doggone happy!!! Cowboy

mrburns
02-04-2008, 11:05

My dog never barked in the tent, but I generally pick quiet secluded locations and nobody has ever approached the tent... if she heard foot steps or a voice she might bark.... anyway, here's some thoughts even though all dogs are a bit unique and respond differently to things. My dog is crate trained, so I've always assumed that for her the tent is like a crate and is a "safe" place where she doesn't have to be on guard, and thus doesn't bark.

She used to bark when somebody knocked on the door, now she gives a single surprised woof, but that's it. She changed her habit when I did the following with her several times over a few days: I put her in a sit/stay inside in a location where she couldn't see the door... then I went to the door and knocked on it myself... at first she would break the stay and run to the door barking... but I'd say "Hey!" and walk her back to the "stay" location... then go back to the door and repeat until she held the "stay"... when she was successful I'd give her some treats. Eventually she caught on and the barking stopped.

I snap at my dog with a sharp "Hey!" when I don't want her barking, but that's more of a "No" or "Bad dog" command from me that I also use for other unwanted behavior...

I'm not specifically sure how to quiet a dog on command, but maybe you could start out by waiting until you think she's about done barking and say "Quiet!" in a sharp serious tone that gets her attention... and if she stops barking, give her a treat like a slice of hot dog or jerkey. Slowly work your way toward saying it sooner and sooner in the process and she'll catch on eventually.
Don't give the treat unless the dog stops barking... and if the dog really doesn't pay attention, your last resort is to open the tent and get out... close the dog in the tent by herself for at least 1-2 minutes, or longer if the dog is still barking. When the dog stops barking, then immediately say "good dog", open the tent and give her a treat.

One last comment... don't try to calm the dog by saying things like "it's ok", "don't worry"... etc... She'll just hear "good dog", "good dog" and keep barking.

Cowgirl
02-04-2008, 15:14
This morning a hiker passed us while I was kneeling inside my tent and she darted off and barked at him until he was past. Thankfully he didn't seem unduly frightened and handled it with grace, and thankfully she had no intention of hurting him... but I know other hikers would be disturbed by that (and someone might go after her with pepper spray or a stick).

I would have been horrified if someones dog "darted" off to bark at me! Yes my stick or pepper spray would have been ready incase it was not a bluff (how are other people to know if your dog is aggressive or not, it sure is acting aggresive!)

That is why I keep my dog tied in camp, so this sort of stuff doesn't happen. Sorry to be rude but this is what gives dogs a bad name on the trails.

Cowgirl, I couldn't agree with you more- dogs are great! My life also revolves around what I can do WITH my Cookie Dog. I have told my friends that if Cookie can't come, I can't come! She (and other dogs that have owned me) has enriched my life so much it's incredible.

Glad to hear from another dog loving, hiking, biking fool!

Sherri and CookieDog

Thanks Sweetie :)

Pedaling Fool
02-04-2008, 17:32
I don't mind dogs, actually I like them, having said that I'll repeat what I said in another thread. Most problems with dogs are not dog problems, rather dog owner problems. Most need to take lessons from Ceasar Milan, the Dog Whisperer (National Geographic Channel). His basic philosophy is: Exercise, Discipline, Affection; in that order. I think most people are only good at affection part, with some also pretty good with the exercise as well. However, the overwhelming majority of dogs I've seen lack the discipline part.

twentybelow
02-04-2008, 18:38
I don't mind dogs, actually I like them, having said that I'll repeat what I said in another thread. Most problems with dogs are not dog problems, rather dog owner problems. Most need to take lessons from Ceasar Milan, the Dog Whisperer (National Geographic Channel). His basic philosophy is: Exercise, Discipline, Affection; in that order. I think most people are only good at affection part, with some also pretty good with the exercise as well. However, the overwhelming majority of dogs I've seen lack the discipline part.

I couldn't agree more. Cesar's show is fantastic and his techniques really work. Very few people understand that they must be their dog's pack leader. If a dog exhibits any undesirable behavior, the dog is not at fault; it is a direct reflection on the owner's lack of control, attention, care, etc. Even someone who doesn't like dogs can benefit from watching "The Dog Whisperer" because understanding canine psychology may help when a bad owner's dog is encountered on the trail. If your cable company doesn't carry the National Geographic Channel, I know for certain that Netflix has the first two seasons and I would expect Blockbuster has them as well.

ChinMusic
02-04-2008, 18:41
I love taking my dog on short trips (weekend variety, or dayhikes) but I would NOT take him on a thru-hike. The logistics of caring for an animal on a thru needs to be thought out. You will have a harder time getting a hitch. You will have a harder time with regards to hotels, hostels, restaurants, grocery stores, etc, etc. Socially you will always have to be on alert for other hikers who happen not to love animals. Your own social interactions can not help but be diminished.

IMO, as much as I love my dog, he would do fine ON the trail but would be too difficult to care for OFF the trail. That said, I would plan to have him with me for short segments when my wife could drop him off and pick him up later.

AlwaysHiking
02-04-2008, 19:53
Quote:
Originally Posted by berninbush http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=522709#post522709)

I'm not specifically sure how to quiet a dog on command, but maybe you could start out by waiting until you think she's about done barking and say "Quiet!" in a sharp serious tone that gets her attention... and if she stops barking, give her a treat like a slice of hot dog or jerkey. Slowly work your way toward saying it sooner and sooner in the process and she'll catch on eventually.
Don't give the treat unless the dog stops barking... and if the dog really doesn't pay attention, your last resort is to open the tent and get out... close the dog in the tent by herself for at least 1-2 minutes, or longer if the dog is still barking. When the dog stops barking, then immediately say "good dog", open the tent and give her a treat.

One last comment... don't try to calm the dog by saying things like "it's ok", "don't worry"... etc... She'll just hear "good dog", "good dog" and keep barking.

What I do is just before I see my dog is about to bark, I give him a command that means be quite and I reward him before he even barks. Otherwise he might think that barking is what results in him getting a reward even if I wait until he stops to give it to him. If he picks up on the pattern of "I bark, mom says stop and then I get a reward" well, he might just decide "I want a treat so I'm going to bark so she'll say stop and then I'll get my reward."

Sometimes being proactive and stopping the behavior before it begins is much more successful. You just have to get your dog to think, "OK, command is given I bark I don't get rewarded. Command is given I don't bark I DO get rewarded." Just make sure timing is done properly otherwise he'll think the quite command means bark. When you see he's about to bark, give the command tell him good boy and get the treat in his mouth before he has the chance to make a peep.

AlwaysHiking
02-04-2008, 19:57
I would have been horrified if someones dog "darted" off to bark at me! Yes my stick or pepper spray would have been ready incase it was not a bluff (how are other people to know if your dog is aggressive or not, it sure is acting aggresive!)

That is why I keep my dog tied in camp, so this sort of stuff doesn't happen. Sorry to be rude but this is what gives dogs a bad name on the trails.

Same. I don't ever assume a dog I don't know is friendly.

berninbush
02-04-2008, 20:10

Yes, I realize this is a problem, which is why I'm asking for advice. :rolleyes: My dog sleeps in the tent with me and there's nothing to tie her to in there, and I do need to open the door sometimes... and a tied-up dog can still bark and annoy people... so it looks to me like the most practical and reliable solution is to *thoroughly* train her to quiet down and come to me the instant I command. She does come when called, but if she's intent on something she'll test her limits to see how long she can delay obedience. I've only had her three months, so it's still early days... clearly more training is needed. I might invest in some professional help.

Thanks for the training suggestions offered. I don't want to train her not to bark at all... as I said, it makes me feel safer... but I want to train her to quiet down and come to me on command. Perhaps my roommate will be willing to help with knocking on the door while I handle the commands and treats. :)

Pedaling Fool
02-04-2008, 20:16

Thanks Sweetie :)
This happens to me all the time, since I ride a bike everywhere. I've kind of developed a sixth sense on knowing if the dog is going to bite or not, but I still hit it if it get's too close. If the owner will not discipline his dog, I will, if he barks and advances on me. Although, usually when I stop they stop.

shelterbuilder
02-04-2008, 20:26

My first Siberian Husky was a "guard" dog, which is odd, because the breed isn't known for this. He would guard the house, the van, my pack if I left it to go for water, and - of course - his family. But if he was told that someone was "alright", he'd settle right down.

Cowgirl
02-04-2008, 20:28
Berninbush, that's great you are trying to learn how to train your dog. there are a lot of good trainers out there and a bunch of bad ones as well that just hang a shingle out.

For now I would not let your dog off a leash until you have the training part down pat. A dog that does not come back immediatly is a dog that can go running off and start mischif. I would clip your leash onto your dog before you unzip your tent.

Also not camping in barking distance to people if your dog is a barker. Iven if only woofs 3 times in a night means that is woke everyone in the shelter or in hearing distance of you 3 times that night.

Read every book you can about dog behavior and training, that's how I got started 20+ years ago when I knew nothing about dogs and it really got me to understand the dogs mind and what it takes to train them. This guy Ceasar is pretty sharp. Start there.

Mostly remember that as a dog owner it is our job to protect our dogs after we protect the people around our dogs first!

kaemac
02-04-2008, 20:40
any advice for a dog who whines when tied up and left?? my dog is very attached (i took him at around 2-3 weeks old....big mistake)and is not a fan of being left in an unsure area. in my car, he's fine; the fenced-in yard, fine; house, fine; random post on the side of a road....not so much. thoughts? tips?

Cowgirl
02-04-2008, 20:52
My dog stares at me and whines or lys beside me and whines. A sharp "quit!!!" usually shuts him up.

When I was training my one dog to stay untied, I would walk to where he couldn't see me and then if he moved a muscle it would loudly say "stay" he thought I was god and could see him everywhere and learned to stay all the time not only when he could see me.

Whining is a bit different. It is a sign of insecurity and the only way to overcome this is do it often if it in not to late. If he is to old he may never become familur with the unknown. Basically you have to train a dog for it's lifestyle when it is young....disrupting that life cuses a dog to much stress.

thestin
02-04-2008, 21:21
I'm not looking to start a flame war or criticize anyone. There is some info that people should know before thru-hiking with a dog.

Dogs are not allowed in the Smokies or in Baxter State park.

Most municipalities and states have leash laws. Enforcement is spotty, BUT you could end up with an expensive ticket far from home.

Cowgirl
02-04-2008, 21:32
I'm not looking to start a flame war or criticize anyone. There is some info that people should know before thru-hiking with a dog.

Dogs are not allowed in the Smokies or in Baxter State park.

Most municipalities and states have leash laws. Enforcement is spotty, BUT you could end up with an expensive ticket far from home.
This is great info that I bet hardly anyone knows..........maybe you should start a new thread about it so it doesn't get lost in this one and save anyone with a dog from starting their thru-hike without this valuble info!

AlwaysHiking
02-04-2008, 22:00
This is great info that I bet hardly anyone knows..........maybe you should start a new thread about it so it doesn't get lost in this one and save anyone with a dog from starting their thru-hike without this valuble info!

I think it was so anyone reading this specific thread that doesn't know will have a chance at seeing it. One of those, 'it also stands to say...' type moments.

Wise Old Owl
02-04-2008, 22:33
1. Carry pepper spray to spray an unleashed dog that runs up to your leashed dog. My dog was seriously mauled by 2 dogs and now I am hyper vigilant and leave nothing to chance.

I read your thread starter several times and In your efforts to do what you enjoy, most have clearly changed your thinking. I passionatly would ask you to find a better way, in these days after Meredith, we are all very frustrated.

Some dogs do not respond well to Pepper Spray. Years ago I was a paper boy and I have tested this product that all mail men walk around with, with mixed results. The spray only "streams" 6-8 feet. It seems to make mail people feel better. When spraying a dog if you can't find the eyes in a second with good aim the bottle is halfway done. Stick with the tested bear spray as it far more pressurized and has better stopping power and longer steam. Otherwise The dog doesn't care.

Cowgirl
02-04-2008, 23:07
oh yes! I carry the spray thet shoots a 30 foot single steam of spray that would knock down a 1000lb griz.

But really I hope that I never ever have a strange dog running up to me and my dog on the trail in a threatning manner. I would feel horrible to be at the point that I thought I was danger enough to actually have spray a poor doggie when it is the owners fault for not having that poor creature under control.

I have absoluly no idea what your first paragraph means????

aaroniguana
02-04-2008, 23:09
In year of hiking, biking and running I've never had to pepper spray a dog. You have to understand the psychology of the Alpha. Stand your ground, don't make sudden movements, don't make continued eye contact, and don't make loud noises. If that doesn't work, move on your way slowly but do not turn your back. Pepper spray is a last resort, and yes it is duct taped to my left hiking pole.

I don't have any of these problems with Angus, he knows I am the Alpha. He responds very well to voice commands, knows I can take care of myself but will protect me if necessary. In fact he's so submissive he won't even eat until after I'm finished and then not in front of me.

He's only a little over 2 (human years) and took a lot of work to get him where he is. I have friends with dominant large breeds and I pity them. He sections with me but I wouldn't take him on a thru.

Cowgirl
02-04-2008, 23:15
Yes, my dog doesn't eat or even look at me when I eat. He is trained not to look at other dogs when one passes us, but when one comes running up to you off leash, thisngs can get dicey pretty quick if the dog won't back off or if there are 2 dos.

I've been spending a lot of time down in the Keys and have had a few run ins with unleashed dogs and my guy is getting pretty good at staying calm and not esculating the situation with a stiff legged,tail up posture that invites a confrontation with another dog.

It's a shame we even have to be discussing this topic, but maybe a few folks that think off-leash is okay because they are in the woods will rethink why dogs have a bad rap on the AT

AlwaysHiking
02-05-2008, 12:14
When a dog rushes at someone, you have to understand, in dog language that is threatening behavior whether the rushing dog has good intentions or not. When I'm with my dog, if another dog rushes at us, it is my responsibility to assure my dog that he doesn't need to worry about the approaching threat. I'm in charge, I'll take care of him and he doesn't need to do it for himself. It's happened three times with my current dog. On the trail, dog comes out of nowhere flying at us. My dog never so much as went stiff or even put his hackles up. I make it very clear to both dogs that any unwelcomed behavior is going to be dealt with by me.

Mrs Baggins
02-05-2008, 14:49
We're cat people and I was anti-dog on the trail. But then when we were out there last year and someone came along with a well-behaved and leashed dog, I was quite happy to have the dog in camp at night. I figured if a bear came anywhere near us the dog would let us all know immediately. I'm still very much against dogs that are allowed to roam at will, charge hikers coming into camp (it's happened to us too many times), beg food, or take over the shelter as their "property." Keep them out of the water sources, too. Those springs are not their bath tubs.

SunnyWalker
05-15-2008, 23:23
Cowgirl: If you are attacked by a bear or grizzly, I hope your assumption about your spray is good.

superman
05-16-2008, 10:04
We still laugh about calling Winter bear bait on the PCT and gaiter bait on the FT. Winter was about 10 feet from a bear and within inches of getting chomped by gaiters.
We were crossing a log through a swamp and Winter fell in. The water was too yukky for her to swim and too liguid for her to hold herself up. Two gaiters were coming to get her. It took the combined strength of Pat and I to lift Winter back on the log just as the gaiters got to her.
When we were on our way to the PCT Pat asked if I had pepper spray. I said no but I wasn't worried. When I explained that I figured I could run fast. Pat said "you can't out run a bear." When I told her that I didn't have to out run the bear...I only had to out run her...she hit me.

Freeleo
05-16-2008, 10:33
i cant wait to take my first hiking trip with the pooch...working on the trail training for the last few months

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k165/jeffhartman1019/tela.jpg

Wise Old Owl
06-17-2008, 10:24
Won't have to search me. Just look at my left hand pole.

We have a winner! I like that idea!

Wise Old Owl
06-17-2008, 10:27
oh yes! I carry the spray thet shoots a 30 foot single steam of spray that would knock down a 1000lb griz.

But really I hope that I never ever have a strange dog running up to me and my dog on the trail in a threatning manner. I would feel horrible to be at the point that I thought I was danger enough to actually have spray a poor doggie when it is the owners fault for not having that poor creature under control.

Don't worry you will use it if it is handy. Keep in mind there isn't much difference visually between a German Shepard & a Eastern Cyote...

Wise Old Owl
06-17-2008, 10:29
We're cat people and I was anti-dog on the trail. But then when we were out there last year and someone came along with a well-behaved and leashed dog, I was quite happy to have the dog in camp at night. I figured if a bear came anywhere near us the dog would let us all know immediately. I'm still very much against dogs that are allowed to roam at will, charge hikers coming into camp (it's happened to us too many times), beg food, or take over the shelter as their "property." Keep them out of the water sources, too. Those springs are not their bath tubs.

After observing some Natural Green Horns washing their dishes and brushing their teeth at the spring - dogs are little to worry about. :mad:

superman
06-17-2008, 10:40
After observing some Natural Green Horns washing their dishes and brushing their teeth at the spring - dogs are little to worry about. :mad:

I've witnessed humans doing a lot worse than that. I came around a bend in the trail and a woman was taking a dump in the middle of the trail. The horror. How many humans don't leave the trail to pee? Those developed campsites are fairly covered with hiker pee because the don't move away from their tent. Even the whole shelter area is pretty much awash with nightly pees. Dogs learn be what they see and repition. If the owner goes away from the trail and people areas the dog will also. And yet you wonder why I stealth camp.:)

Cowgirl
07-03-2008, 22:26
Cowgirl: If you are attacked by a bear or grizzly, I hope your assumption about your spray is good.
The bears here in the Jackson Hole area are everywhere now! But the hiking is awesome :)

Nearly Normal
07-04-2008, 00:55

Two Speed
07-04-2008, 08:40
Just a quick reminder, the "Dogs" forum isn't the place for debating whether or not dogs should be on the AT. Please see the sticky (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16259) here.

JAK
07-04-2008, 13:03
I went hiking with a dog once last winter. A friend and I, plus his two daughter and my one, and his dog. She was a rescue, mostly golden retriever, but more like the thinner English type. Beautiful disposition. It was on the Fundy Trail Parkway, off season with very little other human traffic. There was another couple also with a dog, also very well behaved. We came across a young moose making her way up a hill at West Branch Fuller Brook. The snow was very crusty, so there was some blood on the trail where she was postholing. Again, the dog showed no interest whatsoever in chasing after the moose. Sniffed at the trail and the blood. That was it. Our girls were a bit of a handful, competing with one another to see who was going to be the one to misbehave. The dog always seemed to give the best company to the one that needed it the most. I guess I learned that Squirt is a very good dog.

kayak karl
07-04-2008, 13:10
i don't have to wash my dishes:p

musicwoman
07-06-2008, 16:34
Don't do what I did yesterday: Stick your finger in the dogs mouth to get something out that they shouldn't be chewing.

Sammie picked up something on the trail, and like an idiot, instead of giving her the "drop it" command, I reached in to grab it. She didn't realize my finger was there and "chomp"...

It's going to be weeks before I get out on the trail again. There may be some nerve damage to my right index finger, not to mention the healing time involved for the wound itself. Dr. said no use for 4-6 weeks to see if it heals without a hand surgeon's intervention. Also, the finger tip is broken which makes holding a pole difficult.

Another good tip- If you take your dog on the trail, make sure you bring their vaccination record with you. I was hiking locally so it wasn't an issue and I don't bring her to the AT for a variety of reasons, but a dog bite WILL be reported to authorities by the ER staff in NY so best to have the documents with you.

Aussie922
07-14-2008, 09:51
I just got back from my first trip with my dog (actually my first trip too:D)- 5 days in PA, around the Lehigh Gap area. She was great company, and really enjoyed herself.

Things I have learned... 1. I need to get her a set of booties. It got real rocky and, although she was fine for the 5 days, she would have needed them if we had gone any longer as the skin in between her pads was becoming a bit raw. 2. Keeping her on a leash the entire time was a very good idea. She has an excellent recall and is a very well behaved dog. However, if she had been off-lead she would have been covering at least twice the distance and would have worn herself out much more quickly. She was already passing out the minute we got to camp. 3. I can't control or protect my dog when she is out of my sight, so she is not allowed to pass behind me. I originally trained this for agility purposes, but it was useful while hiking as well. 4. I hate the use of electric training collars, but I will use them if my dog is exhibiting a behavior that endangers its own safety or the safety of others. I kept one on her for the entirety of the trip, and used it once.

Regarding the protective behavior at campsites that was discussed a few pages back, has anyone found a solid way to resolve this? My dog is not protective of my home, but gets tense when people pass our campsite and will bark if they come close to her. I have mixed feelings about eliminating the behavior completely. On one hand, the people that I have met on the trail have been some of the nicest people that I have met anywhere, and, quite simply, I don't want my dog to bark at them. However, it is nice to have protection, even though I know that she would never do anything other than bark.

trouthunter
07-19-2008, 10:53
Hi all, I am here because I plan to do a thru hike in a few years, and want to learn. I have been backpacking for 26 years. Mostly in the S. APPS.
I hike with a dog, usually on fishing bushwacks. I have quit taking dogs on main trails, Foothills/AT, because of the hassle, which is understandable on the part of other people who don't know my dog and have had bad experiences.

My dog is an American Akita, male about 120lbs. Well trained, well behaved, well socialized, stoic & quiet, but will be your best friend after a "get to know me period."
He stays at my side, carries some gear, and makes it ok for me to talk to myself.
I do sections on the AT, but I also go into very remote rugged areas for 5-6 days at a time on solos. He can handle anything the weather can throw our way.

I love my dog, he is unbelievably loyal, and is very alert. A good dog will alert you to movement in the woods long before you would have been aware, if at all. This is VERY important in pristine areas with black bear concentrations. Not all bears in these areas are easily scared away contrary to what you may have heard, or what info the parks service puts out. Not an alarmist here, just a fact.

I have found that my dog has added a new dimension to my trips, he is always in a good mood and that helps elevate mine sometimes.
I loved all the pics, I'll post a couple in a few days.
I have found that most dog owners who take proper care of their dogs and actually bond with them, are good, down to earth people.

Glad I found this forum!

SteveJ
07-19-2008, 15:33
Welcome, Trouthunter! :welcome

Pics of your pooch?

Steve

trouthunter
07-19-2008, 21:28
Here is a picture of my dog boo on a mossy slope. We were packing the Stevenson Trail in North Chicamauga Pocket Wilderness.
Not a great pic, I'll see about digging up some better ones. I will have to learn how to insert images later, hope the attatchment works.:confused:

Nightwalker
07-19-2008, 23:55
My dog turned bear dog between Davenport Gap and Hot Springs this year. There was a habituated bear stealing from every campsite and shelter. BUT he was afraid of Tink. She went off on him 3 nights running. By the third night, we were being begged to camp at the shelter, and I am not exaggerating even a little. Last week, she chased a bear from camp like it was a rabbit. It wouldn't work out west, but these black bears are terrified of dogs, or at least of her.

With people, however, she's a doll-baby/pussycat. More people know her on the trail than know me. I got a ride into town Friday because of her. The guy said "You looked okay, but she needed a ride." Go Bell!

Anyone else seen the carpet of bees and yellow jackets out there this summer? Worse than the heat!

ed bell
07-20-2008, 00:49
My dog turned bear dog between Davenport Gap and Hot Springs this year. There was a habituated bear stealing from every campsite and shelter. BUT he was afraid of Tink. She went off on him 3 nights running. By the third night, we were being begged to camp at the shelter, and I am not exaggerating even a little. Last week, she chased a bear from camp like it was a rabbit. It wouldn't work out west, but these black bears are terrified of dogs, or at least of her.

With people, however, she's a doll-baby/pussycat. More people know her on the trail than know me. I got a ride into town Friday because of her. The guy said "You looked okay, but she needed a ride." Go Bell!

Anyone else seen the carpet of bees and yellow jackets out there this summer? Worse than the heat!Good to hear from you Nightwalker, I hope you are doing well. say hello to Tink for me!

rafe
07-20-2008, 09:41
Anyone else seen the carpet of bees and yellow jackets out there this summer? Worse than the heat!

I noticed them last summer. Got stung several times. I suppose that's one argument for wearing long pants while hiking, but I just can't do that.

Wise Old Owl
08-10-2008, 23:55
The empathy dogs show when we are tiered, They love our company in good times and bad.

Nearly Normal
08-11-2008, 02:55
I noticed them last summer. Got stung several times. I suppose that's one argument for wearing long pants while hiking, but I just can't do that.

Was bush hogging Sat and ran over a yellowjacket nest. I didn't know till the next pass.
Found out quick!

esabacz
09-22-2008, 23:56
Dogs are great but everything I do in my life revolves around if my dog is able to do it. So it can be very limiting if you don't have a routine. I'm a traveller and it is quite a hassle sometimes.

Amen! I have to be away from my pups way to much during the work day to leave them behind when I'm not at work. Also, levy is very pretty, what type of breed is he? Is see spotches of blue in his coat, but can't put my finger on his exact breed. Very pretty

esabacz
09-23-2008, 00:03
Regarding the protective behavior at campsites that was discussed a few pages back, has anyone found a solid way to resolve this? My dog is not protective of my home, but gets tense when people pass our campsite and will bark if they come close to her. I have mixed feelings about eliminating the behavior completely. On one hand, the people that I have met on the trail have been some of the nicest people that I have met anywhere, and, quite simply, I don't want my dog to bark at them. However, it is nice to have protection, even though I know that she would never do anything other than bark.

Aussie, I'm working on this myself and have some of the thoughts you do. I don't want them to not alert me when they hear something , like when a bear started to come into our camp ground and my little 25lb ball of terror (corgi/jrt mix) puffed her chest our and snarled like she was a 100 pound rotty! Least the bear thought so because it kept going.
However, we have been working on stop barking after I give'em them " I got-it command." Basically, I'll let them alert me that something is around, i'll look with them and investigate (make sure its not a bear, etc) and then tell them "I got-it" and give them a silence command. When they stop barking, she gets a peice of jerky.... Slowlly but surely its starting to pay off.

Two Speed
09-23-2008, 05:47
Just be careful your dog doesn't train you to give it a piece of jerky every time he barks.

I've got a Schnauzer mix (not too far from terriers in terms of behavior) and he'll try stunts like that. Love the little screwball, but he can be a devious little mutt when the mood's on him.

mudhead
09-23-2008, 06:26
Devious = clever.

I'll take a smart dog over a meathead.

superman
09-23-2008, 06:53
Old dogs can learn new tricks. Winter has learned to come and get me when the phone rings. I don't wear my hearing aides when I'm working around my property. In the past few weeks I'll look up and she will be standing there wagging her tail. I realized what she was doing by chance. I went in the house after she stood in front of me wagging her tail. I thought she wanted to play or eat or something. When I went inside the light on the phone was lit indicating a call had come in. I started checking the phone after she showed up wagging her tail and sure enough I had calls. I didn't teach her to do it and I don't know how long she's been doing it before I figured out what she was doing. By next week I suspect that she will be answering the phone and taking messages.:D

Two Speed
09-23-2008, 08:02
Devious = clever.

I'll take a smart dog over a meathead.I'd be a lot happier with Barney if he'd apply that intelligence to doing what he's supposed to do instead of figuring out ways to do what he knows he isn't supposed to do.

For instance he's a great sneak. If he's just cruising around you'll hear his rabies tag, etc. The instant he decides to do something he isn't supposed to do you won't hear a thing.

Because of that I tend to treat him like a small child. If I can't hear him and don't know what he's doing I go check pronto.

I guess Barney's trained me to stay close to him. :cool:

Gray Blazer
09-23-2008, 09:56
Took my dog on the AT for the first time last summer (pics in my gallery). She loved it. One of the first things I learned was that both of us going through the same narrow passage/rocky ledge at the same time can be extremely dangerous.

SteveJ
09-23-2008, 18:59
Took my dog on the AT for the first time last summer (pics in my gallery). She loved it. One of the first things I learned was that both of us going through the same narrow passage/rocky ledge at the same time can be extremely dangerous.

chuckle....pics? at least a good story?

that's one reason I like to keep Phoebe attached to my pack waist belt, and let her walk ahead of me...altho' that hike a few years ago on the Conesauga River Trail (16 river crossings in one day - across mossy rocks!) did get interesting! I haven't figured out how to train a sibe not to pull!

esabacz
09-26-2008, 13:47
Just be careful your dog doesn't train you to give it a piece of jerky every time he barks.

I've got a Schnauzer mix (not too far from terriers in terms of behavior) and he'll try stunts like that. Love the little screwball, but he can be a devious little mutt when the mood's on him.

HAHAHAHAHAHA....To true!!!! I'm trying not to

esabacz
09-26-2008, 13:49
I'd be a lot happier with Barney if he'd apply that intelligence to doing what he's supposed to do instead of figuring out ways to do what he knows he isn't supposed to do.

For instance he's a great sneak. If he's just cruising around you'll hear his rabies tag, etc. The instant he decides to do something he isn't supposed to do you won't hear a thing.

Because of that I tend to treat him like a small child. If I can't hear him and don't know what he's doing I go check pronto.

I guess Barney's trained me to stay close to him. :cool:

HAHA...to true the only time I worry about my pups is when I don't hear him.
The quite time, is the scary time...lol!

Nightwalker
02-28-2009, 18:12
I'd be a lot happier with Barney if he'd apply that intelligence to doing what he's supposed to do instead of figuring out ways to do what he knows he isn't supposed to do.

Like father, like son. :D

Two Speed
03-02-2009, 10:41
You're a fine one to talk. Don't forget I've been in camp with you and Tinker.

CowHead
03-02-2009, 10:53
my dog is ten years old and he's great dragging me uphills

Gray Blazer
03-02-2009, 11:51
My dog has picked up some bad habits from some of the Trail Legends.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=26937&catid=member&imageuser=6217

Rockhound
03-02-2009, 12:15

I highly doubt it would knock a grizzly down. Hopefully it might deter the bear and he'd leave you alone. Or it just might piss him off.

CrumbSnatcher
03-02-2009, 12:23
my moneys on the griz, you'd be better off with a can of cheese wiz!

middle to middle
03-02-2009, 12:36
Nothing like being out of water and getting to a water hole that someones dog has just muddied up and having to shoo it out repeatedly and having the owner be miffed because you think humans come first.

Two Speed
03-03-2009, 07:13
So you learned something about dogs or humans from that encounter?

Before responding please take a look at the TOS (http://whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=agreement) for the site and the sticky (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16259) at the top of this forum.

WritinginCT
03-03-2009, 11:55
One thing I've learned hiking with Peanut is that she's exceptionally observant. She walks "around" things versus over/thru them. It took me a while to figure out what she was doing and it's actually made me more observant. Example- she went to side of a small leaf pile instead of plowing right through it like she normally does, the reason? A pair of land snails were in the middle of it mating. She's also careful about where exactly she walks, not that she doesn't like mud cause she loves getting dirty, but she can pick out areas very quickly that aren't particularly safe to walk on (ie deep mud, marsh)

Ginger
04-04-2009, 15:16
Yes, I realize this is a problem, which is why I'm asking for advice. :rolleyes: My dog sleeps in the tent with me and there's nothing to tie her to in there, and I do need to open the door sometimes... and a tied-up dog can still bark and annoy people... so it looks to me like the most practical and reliable solution is to *thoroughly* train her to quiet down and come to me the instant I command. She does come when called, but if she's intent on something she'll test her limits to see how long she can delay obedience. I've only had her three months, so it's still early days... clearly more training is needed. I might invest in some professional help.

Thanks for the training suggestions offered. I don't want to train her not to bark at all... as I said, it makes me feel safer... but I want to train her to quiet down and come to me on command. Perhaps my roommate will be willing to help with knocking on the door while I handle the commands and treats. :)

This my have been suggested earlier, and if so, I apologize. I get short on time and I'm not able to read all posts.

As a student in the process of becoming a certified dog trainer, this is my suggestion/opinion:

If you want her to still be a guard dog, it is not the barking/alerting that is the biggest issue (not saying that it isn't an issue at all), it's the charging ("bolting") at strangers and the issue of her not paying attention to you when she is fixated on something (especially on the trail) that seems to be the biggest, more urgent issue. My suggestion would be to start training her on a leash to the come command:

Have her be distracted by something (NOT fixated- something interesting, from a distance), and then say "[Dog's Name], come" in a calm-assertive tone. If she doesn't come, DO NOT repeat the cue (if you do, she will learn that you have to say it more than once before she complies). If she doesn't come, give the leash a little pull, and, if necessary, a pat on your leg to initiate her interest, and then treat her when she reaches you. Let her get distracted again, and repeat. Slowly increase and decrease the distance, as well as the distractions, once she is 90% successful at each interval- this will help her feel a generalization to all circumstances. When she starts complying exceptionally well at least 90% of the time at each distance with distractions, you can move closer/add more distractions (but don't do both at once; i.e. only decrease distance without adding more distractions, and visa versa). Once she is used to complying on-leash, start the same process over without leash (this will be harder if she is not successful on-leash, obviously). And eventually you can start incorporating real-life rewards (attention, praise, toys) instead of treats (it's best to make it a surprise everytime, once with attention, next a treat, then praise, etc.) BOTH ON AND OFF LEASH. Within just a few training sessions, you should see her looking to you when she notices a distraction, rather than becoming fixated on whatever distracted her in the first place.

Please be aware that most dogs learn that going to their owner often means the end of fun (during play time, after potty, etc.). Most often, we're calling them to come back to us and enter the house where they become bored out of their mind. Especially during the training for the come cue, you should allow them to go back to playing after they get treated and you give them your release cue "okay" or "all done." They should not associate coming to you with the end of their free, fun time. Always make it enjoyable, and ALWAYS set them up for success (ie. if, during training, the dog gets far too distracted or too frustrated, end the session and start again later on, or move farther away from distractions to a situation that she is always successful at (we call it "going back to kindergarten"), etc... make it possible for the dog to succeed EVERY time).

"Bolting" is an issue of her not knowing her boundaries. Does she "bolt" out the door or out of your lawn at home to confront (not attack) strangers that are, what you would consider, a safe distance from your house? If this is something you need to address I can give some suggestions for that as well. You can personal message me if you like, as I don't know how soon in the future I'll be looking at this post again.

As far as the alert barking goes, I would suggest a certified dog trainer (www.animalbehaviorcollege.com (http://www.animalbehaviorcollege.com) has a list of certified trainers all over the country) to help with when/where you want to be alerted, and when it is innapropriate for the dog to do so. It'll be a much harder task, IMO, and I don't think anything I type here could help with that situation as it has to do with your preference rather than a truly specific issue.

If any of this was too jumpled, and you need clarity, don't hesitate to ask!:sun

I hope this helped, and I apologize again if this has already been addressed. Maybe if you already got what you needed, this info could at least be helpful for someone else.

Best of luck to all of you!

Ginger
04-04-2009, 15:27
ALSO- this may be common sense, but I feel it needs mentioning: it may be best to practice these commands in the woods more frequently than not if it is the trail where she has the most trouble complying with your commands.