PDA

View Full Version : Amicalola approach trail relocation

DapperD
02-03-2008, 22:13
Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anybody read about the new approach trail relocation that leaves from Amicalola falls visitor center-It now climbs parallel to the falls(729 feet!) and greets hikers at the top with a staircase of 425 steps! I was wondering if other potential thru-hikers had heard/read of this and wether or not they feel if this is unnecessarily difficult for potential thru-hikers leaving from Amicalola or not.

Mountain Man
02-03-2008, 22:22
Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anybody read about the new approach trail relocation that leaves from Amicalola falls visitor center-It now climbs parallel to the falls(729 feet!) and greets hikers at the top with a staircase of 425 steps! I was wondering if other potential thru-hikers had heard/read of this and wether or not they feel if this is unnecessarily difficult for potential thru-hikers leaving from Amicalola or not.

It's actually over 600 steps if I remember right it's 624. It's not difficult though. The reason for relocating it was due to the difficulty of maintaining the way it did go. Saved a lot of work.

Survivor Dave
02-03-2008, 22:27
Oh Mountain Man..... How many times did we do the steps and you already forgot how many steps? Hmmm....I think the shirt says "I survived the 604 Steps" at Amicalola Falls State Park....LOL

It's actually over 600 steps if I remember right it's 624. It's not difficult though. The reason for relocating it was due to the difficulty of maintaining the way it did go. Saved a lot of work.

BitBucket
02-03-2008, 22:35
Had not heard about the relocation...but if true, I'm glad I got my hike in on the old approach trail...I hate climbing those steps that go up/down at the falls...

I thought the "old trail" was a fairly easy walk from the visitor center to the top of the falls...but then again it poured rain from the minute I walked thru the arch until we got to Springer that day...

Pedaling Fool
02-03-2008, 22:46
I don't understand why people spend tons of money buying hiking gear to hike on the appalachian trail and then complain about all the ups and downs:confused:. There's a trail in Florida, The Florida Trail that's completely flat, all the hiking gear will work here too.

Speer Carrier
02-04-2008, 00:21

My 6 year old grandson hiked that route this past summer. it's not that difficult.

Mountain Man
02-04-2008, 11:25
Oh Mountain Man..... How many times did we do the steps and you already forgot how many steps? Hmmm....I think the shirt says "I survived the 604 Steps" at Amicalola Falls State Park....LOL

Yeah, I forgot you bought the T-shirt.:p

iesman69
02-04-2008, 11:30
The stairs are easy