PDA

View Full Version : Sobo start date

eric_plano
02-03-2008, 23:54
I perused the articles and searched the entire site for sobo and south bound but nothing came up...I know this has been addressed.

Anyway. I hiked through Wind Gap nobo in 07 and want to hike sobo to it in 08. What is the best time to start to avoid the black fly season?

Thanks!
Eric

P.S. If you have any issues with my searching abilities please blame the 12 pack :p

Roland
02-04-2008, 00:04
~What is the best time to start to avoid the black fly season?
~

January :D

Roland
02-04-2008, 00:05
By the 4th of July, the worst of the black fly season is over. But fall is the best time of year, to hike northern new england.

hammock engineer
02-04-2008, 00:15
I started July 13th and saw only a few black flies. The mosquitos are not as bad but still the worst I ever saw in my life.

Marta
02-04-2008, 07:54
I started July 3d and didn't have trouble with black flies. Ditto what Hammock Engineer said about moquitoes, though. I carried a head net, and DEET.

Jeff
02-04-2008, 09:25
I hiked NOBO and went through Maine in August with few very bugs.

Saw plenty of SOBO hikers who started in early August. They were happy to have fewer bugs...but these hikers would not finish till Christmas or later and that cannot be fun !! ??

TJ aka Teej
02-04-2008, 10:16
I perused the articles and searched the entire site for sobo and south bound but nothing came up
There's a whole SOBO forum here:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=422
There are over 40 kinds of blackfly in Maine, hatching almost randomly due to weather conditions from May to August. They are not by any measure as bad to hike with as is often reported. Sleep in a tent or under netting, use deet, bring a headnet, take your breaks in windy open areas. Then lie like the dickens to northbounders about seeing swarms of them carrying away chickadees and ultralighters.

eric_plano
02-04-2008, 10:19
Thanks for the info and the sub-forum. Exactly what I was looking for :)

quasarr
02-04-2008, 11:00
Then lie like the dickens to northbounders about seeing swarms of them carrying away chickadees and ultralighters.

LOL I think I can handle that!!! :p