PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Gaters for Trail Runners

gardenville
01-04-2004, 01:20
I am making a "Full Cover" set of Cold Weather Gaters for my The North Face (TNF) Ultra 102 trail runners. They will cover the complete top of the shoe and be 18" tall. They will attach to the front part of the shoe using the outer row of lace points. The nice thing about this shoe is that it has 3 attachment points sewn into the shoe for a set of small gaters sold by TNF. This makes a homemade set easy to coustom fit. I have just finished a full size pattern and put some pictures in an album. Tomorrow I am going to my local GoodWill Store and see if I can buy a used Gore-Tex garment of some kind cheap and use the material for the Gaters.

Youngblood
01-04-2004, 10:34
I saw on another web site where someone was using the material from tyvek envelopes to make gaitors, the kind that FedEx and USPS use.

Youngblood

gardenville
01-04-2004, 14:42
I saw on another web site where someone was using the material from tyvek envelopes to make gaitors, the kind that FedEx and USPS use.

Youngblood

Hi Youngblood, Happy Birthday. This is also my Grand daughter's birthday, she is 2 years old today.

I had a guide on a winter Mt Washington Traverse hike years ago. His wife sewed for Ragged Mountain Equipment in NH. She had made him a set of gaiters that coverd his whole boot, I think they were glued on somehow. The outer row of lace points on my new trail runners just said to me "attach the gaiters to me." The guides gaiters were the inspiration for my attempt. I did see the tyvek gaiters and some others have made out of other material as well.

I have used the Post Office tyvek envelopes to make a few small stuff sack. I want to try and make the gaiters out of one piece of material and don't think the envelope is large enough. I really want them out of Gore-Tex if I can find a used garment cheap. If not, I have a lot of different weight ripstop that I will use.

The main reason for the winter gaiters is to extend the SAFE temperature range of my trail runners down to around 20 degrees. I may end up making a second set and insluating them with something. I now use a Gore-Tex boot liner when I think my feet might get wet such as in the rain or heavy dew. The boot liner and a mostly wool sock works great in mild temperatures and heavy activity.