PDA

View Full Version : water filters

EMAN
02-04-2008, 10:30
On a trip this past weekend, my Hiker Pro broke at the outlet. That POS quick release device they came up with must have just come unglued. Luckily there were others with filters. I will get this one replaced by the good folks at REI.
However, as this is the 2nd time I've had one of these fail, I have sort of scanned the e-waves here this morning for alternative filters. I don't like the chems (and to be honest, because old dogs...blah...blah...I haven't actually tried them yet) as they seem to take longer and I usually want my water NOW! Of course there are no moving parts and it IS lightweight. Definite plusses at this point.
But I am looking at gravity filters. The ULA version seems to get good reviews. Another is a Sawyer but I haven't had a chnace to read about this one yet. Both supposedly weigh less than, or about, 10 oz.
I am concerned that if I ever get out on a trail alone and this thing fails for whatever reason, I may be drinking my own urine (and after all, Survivorman does say we can do that).
Ok...here we go....opinions? Suggestions?
Thanks folks.

Lyle
02-04-2008, 10:46
OK,

Just a couple of comments. This is just my take on things, and not necessarily everyone will agree. But here goes:

1) Filters are not mandatory! At best they are the equivalent of comprehensive auto insurance. Probably wise to have and use, it eliminates some risk, gives you peace of mind, but a lot of people drive without it and suffer absolutely no detrimental effects. If your filter fails while on a hike, drink your water straight (many do), or boil it. I generally treat my water now-a-days, but have hiked for many years without treating. Much more illness is caused by poor hiker hygiene than by contaminated water sources. Drink unfiltered water and your hike won't come to a screeching halt. At the worst, you may need some medication after you're home. Too many people have been convinced that there are little boogy-men everywhere they go and in every water source, fact is boogy-men are pretty rare.

2) If you are still worried about loss of your filter, then just carry a few Iodine tablets along as insurance for your insurance - kinda like an umbrella policy. I don't think I would even consider resorting to the urine thingy! :-)

Just my $0.02 worth.

joec
02-04-2008, 10:58
On my last two solo hikes, my water filter clogged. The second time was with a brand new replacement filter. I like having filtered water but have come to the point that I do not trust them. I guess I will try Hiker Pro or some other brand and see what is what.

Terry7
02-04-2008, 12:14
My 'Hiker Pro" does not have a presure release, my MSR has one. If you are careful a hiker pro will last a long time. Use a water bottle to dip your water then let it settle, then filter off the top 2/3. Repeat as needed.

Mocs123
02-04-2008, 12:59
I have been very happy with my hiker. I use a coffee filter as a prefilter and have never had it clog beyond use even when filtering some pretty suspect water. MSR has a new filter, the Hyperflow, comming out this month that looks promising.

EMAN
02-04-2008, 13:09
The first time it failed, the filter just clogged and died. No warning. And I had cleaned and inspected it before going out. And I use a coffee filter.
But no big deal, it was one of those things that's going to happen.
This time, the quick release device they have now, the one you connect the output hose to and supposedly you can easily remove it for storing (I quit that practice a while back as the "quick release" has never been exactly quick...nor easy) popped out. Don't know whether it lost it's glue or what.
Again, no really big deal as REI will replace it I'm sure. I was just thinking it might be time to research other options.
As far as not filtering, obviously I can boil and have done so. But once you get even a slight case of "the ailment" from unfiltered water, I'd rather be safe than sorry. Been there, done that.

SlowLightTrek
02-04-2008, 13:10
On a trip this past weekend, my Hiker Pro broke at the outlet. That POS quick release device they came up with must have just come unglued. Luckily there were others with filters. I will get this one replaced by the good folks at REI.
However, as this is the 2nd time I've had one of these fail, I have sort of scanned the e-waves here this morning for alternative filters. I don't like the chems (and to be honest, because old dogs...blah...blah...I haven't actually tried them yet) as they seem to take longer and I usually want my water NOW! Of course there are no moving parts and it IS lightweight. Definite plusses at this point.
But I am looking at gravity filters. The ULA version seems to get good reviews. Another is a Sawyer but I haven't had a chnace to read about this one yet. Both supposedly weigh less than, or about, 10 oz.
I am concerned that if I ever get out on a trail alone and this thing fails for whatever reason, I may be drinking my own urine (and after all, Survivorman does say we can do that).
Ok...here we go....opinions? Suggestions?
Thanks folks.

Mine did the same thing but it lasted all the way to Maine. I had superglue with me and superglued it back. I didn't use it alot after I superglued it so don't know how long it will last.

rafe
02-04-2008, 13:18

Even with a water filter, I always carry iodine tablets for backup. Water is essential to life. There were a few days this summer when I thought I might need to leave the trail due to the overall dearth of water.

walkinfool
02-04-2008, 13:19
I'm really looking forward to Platypus's new CleanStream gravity filter system (link (http://www.platypushydration.com/product_detail.aspx?ProdID=29)). I'm planning on just buying the filter (link (http://www.platypushydration.com/product_detail.aspx?ProdID=30)) and using my existing equipment (watter bladder, etc.) with it. Light, fast, cheap enough, and easy. MSR (same company) is coming out with the essentially the same thing in their AutoFlow setup (link (http://www.msrgear.com/watertreatment/autoflow.asp)). Both the CleanStream and the AutoFlow are due out sometime Feb/March 2008. I'll be buying a CleanStream filter as soon as they're available, so I'll try to remember to post my own review of it here.

Hope that helps.

-walkinfool

BR360
02-04-2008, 14:45
Always carry a few chem tabs as backup if you use a filter. You may not like the taste, but compared to drinking urine, well...no contest.

Cowgirl
02-04-2008, 14:58
I'm really looking forward to Platypus's new CleanStream gravity filter system (link (http://www.platypushydration.com/product_detail.aspx?ProdID=29)). I'm planning on just buying the filter (link (http://www.platypushydration.com/product_detail.aspx?ProdID=30)) and using my existing equipment (watter bladder, etc.) with it. Light, fast, cheap enough, and easy. MSR (same company) is coming out with the essentially the same thing in their AutoFlow setup (link (http://www.msrgear.com/watertreatment/autoflow.asp)). Both the CleanStream and the AutoFlow are due out sometime Feb/March 2008. I'll be buying a CleanStream filter as soon as they're available, so I'll try to remember to post my own review of it here.

Hope that helps.

-walkinfool

thanks for the link :)

iodine is great but I'll carry a filtration system rather than drink some of the muck that has been sanatized but is still muck

wrongway_08
02-04-2008, 16:26
I dont carry the filter because I worry about bugs and crap in the water. I carry the filter to get the water not to taste like crap, which in turn makes the food I cook taste like crap.

I would say the superglue trick sounds good to fix your problem.

I am still deciding to maybe replace my Hiker Pro with the new Hyper Flow from MSR. I have heard about the freeze problem but if you just pop out the filter and dry it off, freezing should not be a problem anymore.
More so I am looking at the space saving the MSR will give me.

kayak karl
02-04-2008, 16:52
has anybody tried this one. http://www.sawyerproducts.com/SP120.htm can be used inline or gravity
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/misc/progress.gif

snowhoe
02-04-2008, 18:28
Wrongway I am with you. If your going to be out on the trail for a while you need to enjoy the things that make you feel good and good tasting water and food are one of my major ones.

sixpack
02-05-2008, 14:10
all I use is coffee filters to screen particales from the water. aint dead yet 62 yrs old and been drinking out of creeks and springs for 50t years.

Chicken Feathers
05-24-2008, 12:41
Always carry a few chem tabs as backup if you use a filter. You may not like the taste, but compared to drinking urine, well...no contest.
Have not had the displeasure of drinking urine.I will have to take your word :-?

Bear Cables
05-26-2008, 10:42
For years I used a Sweetwater pump filter and never had a problem. Last summer to cut weight and reduce gear, I switched to the Aquamire tablets. According to the review in Backpacker the tablets make the water safe enough to drink in 30 min. I liked the ease of the tablets, found no funny taste in my water or food. Drank after 30 min. and never had a problem. I carry a self filter bottle as well for drinking while waiting the 30 min.

EMAN
05-26-2008, 10:47
Is it the Sawyer bottle?

4eyedbuzzard
05-26-2008, 11:08
Coffee filter(s) and steripen.

rafe
05-26-2008, 11:22
Even with a water filter, it's wise to carry a few iodine tablets as backup. Durability-wise, I think the MSR filters are tops, but they all have failure modes. My main complaint with the Hiker Pro has been how quickly and easily the filter elements clog. They're great until that happens... :rolleyes: Some folks go without... I'm not brave enough to try that again.

Bear Cables
05-26-2008, 13:26
Is it the Sawyer bottle?

It's the Bota bottle. I think I ordered it from either campmor or rei.

Bare Bear
05-26-2008, 20:39
I've tried several different filters and a Steripen that crapped out repeatedly, was repalced then still crapped out so I at least got my money back. I now use coffee filters to get out the big pieces then two drops of common bleach in 32 oz. The bad part is you should wait at least 20 minutes before drinking as it takes at least that long to kill bad things. A couple times I just drank out of water coming out of a mountain, not streams. Bleach is very light (a dropper bottle of one oz lasts a month.) Very cheap. Never fails.