PDA

View Full Version : Beauty Spot hike

Marta
02-04-2008, 13:37
I'm planning to hike from Erwin up to Beauty Spot, camp, and hike back the following day. I've hiked through Beauty Spot a few times, but haven't ever stopped and camped.

Anyone who has already camped there, what do you recommend? Out on the grass? Over near the spring? Is the spring running now?

Almost There
02-04-2008, 13:42
I'm planning to hike from Erwin up to Beauty Spot, camp, and hike back the following day. I've hiked through Beauty Spot a few times, but haven't ever stopped and camped.

Anyone who has already camped there, what do you recommend? Out on the grass? Over near the spring? Is the spring running now?

Last summer there was no spring!!! It was completely dry up there. Pack in water and camp up on the hill that over looks the parking area, I think there is a firepit there. Great camping last summer! Enjoy!

Gray Blazer
02-04-2008, 13:47
I have camped right on the summit. Locals do come up as there is a parking lot about 200 yds from the summit. I heard a pack of coyotes last time I slept there. I don't know about the spring. Have fun. One of my favorite places to camp. Hopefully the fire pit will not be full of nasty trash.

hobojoe
02-04-2008, 13:51
Good campsite with fire pit just south of beauty spot, still in the field. Far enough away from the parking lot that no one will bother you. I've camped at the top many a time,it can get vicious wildy up there but there is a great view.

jlb2012
02-04-2008, 13:53
hey Marta - how are you going to hang your hammock up there?:eek::-?:confused:;)

Almost There
02-04-2008, 14:24
Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure that there are zero springs up on Beauty Spot, wet or dry. Might be able to filter from a mud puddle like I did last June....it did wonders for my filter!!!

Tennessee Viking
02-04-2008, 14:26
When you heading through Jones Branch Hollow about a half mile before the switchback, check out the new 'BLOG BRIDGE,' half bog bridge/half log bridge. My club just installed it in January.

The spring was flowing a bit in October. Definitely pack wind gear it can get very windy and foggy, so pack a good flashlight as well.

Forest Service graded Unaka Mountain road in the fall. It is a whole lot kinder to auto travel now.

Tennessee Viking
02-04-2008, 14:30
Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure that there are zero springs up on Beauty Spot, wet or dry. Might be able to filter from a mud puddle like I did last June....it did wonders for my filter!!!
The spring is actually located north of Beauty Spot. You continue north on trail to where the trail just skirts the forest road with a V-stile. This is now being called Beauty Spot Gap, its more of a sag than anything. Cross the road there and follow a blue blaze to the spring. You can use the road for faster access.

Lugnut
02-04-2008, 14:31
Good campsite with fire pit just south of beauty spot, still in the field.

Going south on the right just before the woods start was all poison ivy last time I camped there. It was dark when I set up my tent so I didn't notice it but I suffered for a couple weeks because I wasn't paying attention. The summit may be okay during the week.

hobojoe
02-04-2008, 14:33
Going south on the right just before the woods start was all poison ivy last time I camped there. It was dark when I set up my tent so I didn't notice it but I suffered for a couple weeks because I wasn't paying attention. The summit may be okay during the week.
Dammit, you ruined my evil plan....

dmax
02-04-2008, 17:11
The spring mentioned at beauty spot gap is running good. Lots of rain on the mountain today. The top where people like to camp is not recommended for solo camping due to the parking lot so near. Sometimes moonshine causes ploblems up there. There is a nice spot for tent camping as soon as you come out of the woods and get to the beginning of the balds. Its also far enough away to keep trouble away. There is water close by too if you don't mind just a little bushwacking. If you come out of the woods and come to the grass fields, turn around and head into the woods. Go down hill towards your left and find the ravine. Follow this down. The water shows up and dissappears all the way down. I find water here year round. There is also plenty of tenting opportunities to be found at Beauty Spot gap by the spring.

hopefulhiker
02-04-2008, 17:32
Sorry I couldn't make it this weekend.. but I have camped there before...There is are some woods nearby and a water source just north and across a gravel rd...

Marta
02-04-2008, 19:47
Thanks, everyone!

Gray Blazer
02-04-2008, 20:20
Forest Service graded Unaka Mountain road in the fall. It is a whole lot kinder to auto travel now.
I actually took my wife's Honda down that road. ;) (Don't tell her.)

tazie
02-04-2008, 20:20

Marta! Drats, I got excited when I saw your post- thought you were going to put together a henhike, and we were going to discuss the merits of using that pesky DIY pee funnel and finally resolve that question: women, shaving on the trail-- is it really necessary? :D
Have a great hike oh wise woman!

Marta
02-04-2008, 20:38
Marta! Drats, I got excited when I saw your post- thought you were going to put together a henhike, and we were going to discuss the merits of using that pesky DIY pee funnel and finally resolve that question: women, shaving on the trail-- is it really necessary? :D
Have a great hike oh wise woman!

The hike isn't limited to hens only. My husband will be going. No hammock on this trip, HOI--I'll be tenting with my sweetie.

I have not even glanced at the DIY pee funnel thread. I can't warm up to the idea of using an apparatus when I can get by just fine without one.:rolleyes:

Neither does the shaving issue rear its head on an overnighter.

Thanks for the good wishes. I hope to have a great hike. There's plenty of elevation change, so it will be good for health at the very least. The weather has been incredibly warm down here in the lowlands, and the days are getting longer.

Spring is coming!!!

Almost There
02-04-2008, 21:14
The spring is actually located north of Beauty Spot. You continue north on trail to where the trail just skirts the forest road with a V-stile. This is now being called Beauty Spot Gap, its more of a sag than anything. Cross the road there and follow a blue blaze to the spring. You can use the road for faster access.

No, I know where that spring is, we used it the next morning, but it isn't a quick walk down and back if you've been hiking all day. Granted if you were going SOBO it would be nothing to get the water on your way up.

I was simply referring to there being no spring up on top of Beauty Spot.

DG_on_AT
02-12-2008, 09:43
I thought the road to the top of Beauty Spot was closed during the winter? Does anyone know?

Marta
02-12-2008, 11:28
No, I know where that spring is, we used it the next morning, but it isn't a quick walk down and back if you've been hiking all day. Granted if you were going SOBO it would be nothing to get the water on your way up.

The spring was a little puddle last weekend. It's there, but slow.

We ended up camping across the road from the spring. It was way too windy up on Beauty Spot itself. We all walked up to see the spectacular view at sunset. Stumpknocker posted several pictures on TJ.

Sunday morning I had a great view of the sunrise from the campsite.

Tennessee Viking
02-12-2008, 19:45
I thought the road to the top of Beauty Spot was closed during the winter? Does anyone know?
In the last couple years, they have only been closing it during when on approaching winter storms and when snowfall is heavy.

Unaka Mountain Road is actually graded pretty well now. About last October, forest service laid down new gravel and broke up the bigger rocks in the road. Its a bit narrower but driveable with cars.

Forest Service is now working on Unaka Mtn Overlook. Trying to revamp it before it was ruined by rednecks.

Miss Janet
02-12-2008, 22:05
"Forest Service is now working on Unaka Mtn Overlook. Trying to revamp it before it was ruined by rednecks!"

I am about as redneck as they come... and yes I am sure I was one of the rednecks hanging out up there back 25-30 years ago. The place was pretty much abandoned well before that time. Even when it was only 4wheel drives that could make that trip in the winter there was a LOT of traffic up there. In the summer... well, you kind of had to use your "parking" etiquette and some nights you just didn't get a spot! I think about half of the kids in Erwin were conceived up there! :)

It is hard to balance a desired increase in use and protecting what you have created. It will be interesting to see how it is handled.

Tennessee Viking
02-13-2008, 02:59
"Forest Service is now working on Unaka Mtn Overlook. Trying to revamp it before it was ruined by rednecks!"

I am about as redneck as they come... and yes I am sure I was one of the rednecks hanging out up there back 25-30 years ago. The place was pretty much abandoned well before that time. Even when it was only 4wheel drives that could make that trip in the winter there was a LOT of traffic up there. In the summer... well, you kind of had to use your "parking" etiquette and some nights you just didn't get a spot! I think about half of the kids in Erwin were conceived up there! :)

It is hard to balance a desired increase in use and protecting what you have created. It will be interesting to see how it is handled.Not you Miss Janet. You're an angel. The ones I hate are the ones that vandalized the mountain top. The ones that go up to the top to drink and get high and litter the landscape. Heard stories of it being at one time another Buffalo Mtn and Winged Deer Park.

Flush2wice
02-21-2008, 15:40
They used to never close it. It's closed right now and by the looks of it, it's been closed for a while. There's lots of sticks and branches on it that haven't been run over. The best camping spot is right next to it just north of the bald near the spring. (Best spot when the weather is too bad to be up top)That's the spot Marta was talking about and that's where I camped with Sgt. Rock and Tobasco last night. When the road is open it ruins that spot because you get nailed by headlights from passing cars. There's more traffic up there than you would guess.