PDA

View Full Version : Green Food Bars

BR360
02-04-2008, 14:26
Anyone had any experience with food bars that contain green plant matter?

The best "Green bars" I've had are: "Raw*Revolution Spirulina & Cashew"; and "Organic Food Bar: Active Greens."

Would not recommend "Greens+ Protein Bar" as it tastes too "flat" and somewhat chalky to me.

Wondering if there are other bars (particularly "Green" ones) that folks would recommend so that I can get some decent nutrition beyond just "white foods" of pasta, rice, etc. ???

Turtle2
02-04-2008, 22:18
After watching Soylent Green (circa 1973) then and again recently, can't seem to work up any interest in any green bars.

Cowgirl
02-04-2008, 23:09
I bought one a few weeks ago at the health food store...........it was nasty! :(

Blissful
02-04-2008, 23:38
When I hear or see the word green I think of the big - get out to save the planet. Is that what the bars do?

Just kidding. :)

Smile
02-04-2008, 23:39
Yes, I travelled with them for several months on hikes, the Organic Food Bars are excellent, and a nice source of raw food :)

Wise Old Owl
02-04-2008, 23:43
After watching Soylent Green (circa 1973) then and again recently, can't seem to work up any interest in any green bars.

oohh yea funny how that was the first thing that came to mind.
you are showing our age.

warraghiyagey
02-05-2008, 00:45
When I hear or see the word green I think of the big - get out to save the planet.:)
I thought the opposite direction - little.
Booger Bars.

BR360
02-05-2008, 23:45
Yes, I travelled with them for several months on hikes, the Organic Food Bars are excellent, and a nice source of raw food :)

Thanks for the input.

Glo-Worm
02-06-2008, 00:16
I like the Organic Food Bar Active Greens, taste pretty good. A little odd but pretty good and the damn thing never seems to freeze solid like so many other bars.

Smile
02-06-2008, 00:18
Here's a great review (http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Food/Energy%20Bars%20and%20Drinks/Organic%20Food%20Bar/Owner%20Review%20by%20Ray%20Estrella/) that gives nutrition and calories/weight ratios and such.

They are great to eat, healthy for you, high calorie and nutrient dense foods. Buy in bulk if you can, they can be a bit pricey, and difficult to find at a resupply unless you can find a health food store. :)

Almost There
02-06-2008, 00:34

Soylent Green is People!!!!:eek:

ATSeamstress
02-06-2008, 14:02
The "Garden of Life" bars are pretty good. Odd looking, but good.

desdemona
02-07-2008, 00:13
Soylent green is people, and spirulina is fish food (ask my fish!). But I have tried the non-greens type raw bars. Some of them are pretty tasty. I forget the brand but there are some intense chocolate type flavors (inherently not raw-- must have been roasted), berry, and lemon varieties.
I wouldn't let the sampler feed me spirulina anything as I have tasted similar fish food before (spirulina, nori, kobuni?, etc.)

--des

BR360
02-07-2008, 01:29
Soylent green is people, and spirulina is fish food (ask my fish!). But I have tried the non-greens type raw bars. Some of them are pretty tasty. I forget the brand but there are some intense chocolate type flavors (inherently not raw-- must have been roasted), berry, and lemon varieties.
I wouldn't let the sampler feed me spirulina anything as I have tasted similar fish food before (spirulina, nori, kobuni?, etc.)

des, are you saying that spirulina is formulated as fish food? That soylent green is food for people? I thought spirulina was a "wonder food" for people, too?

BR360
02-07-2008, 01:33
Here's a great review (http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Food/Energy%20Bars%20and%20Drinks/Organic%20Food%20Bar/Owner%20Review%20by%20Ray%20Estrella/) that gives nutrition and calories/weight ratios and such.

They are great to eat, healthy for you, high calorie and nutrient dense foods. Buy in bulk if you can, they can be a bit pricey, and difficult to find at a resupply unless you can find a health food store. :)

Thanks, Smile! That review was very helpful.

Smile
02-07-2008, 01:43
You're welcome. I ate raw on my section hike in 2006, these were a staple of my diet along with nuts. :)

Deadeye
02-07-2008, 08:48
Lara bars, while not green, are "green":-?. Most have only three or four raw ingredients: dates, nuts, and whatever the flavor of the day is. Cherry, apple, lemon, and pecan pie are great - avoid the chocolate flavors.

desdemona
02-07-2008, 17:35
des, are you saying that spirulina is formulated as fish food? That soylent green is food for people? I thought spirulina was a "wonder food" for people, too?

Well you have to be familar with soylent green. Look at this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soylent_Green
:)

Spirulina is considered a wonder food. I don't know if I believe in such a thing. There are foods that are good for you and some that aren't. New foods come and go in terms of what people think is a wonder food. Right now pomegrants are a big thing, if you've noticed.

There are formulations of spirulina for fish. It is good for fish as well. To me it smells like stuff I put in my fish tank but to each his own.

BTW, I think I was describing Lara bars. These are raw foods mostly. I think they are good. The chocolate is pretty concentrated. It is fair trade which I like, but they are quite high in quickly metabolized sugars.
Might spike the blood sugar. I really like the pecan pie and lemon.

--des

BR360
02-07-2008, 18:12
Soylent Green is People!!!!:eek:

Ah, I get it now, thanks Des. Sounds like an interesting film. But bad trail food!

desdemona
02-08-2008, 00:15
Ah, I get it now, thanks Des. Sounds like an interesting film. But bad trail food!

Way way too funny!! I agree bad trail food and not so good in the kitchen either.

--des