PDA

View Full Version : rember the most important rule......

snowhoe
02-04-2008, 18:45
To all the thru-hikers in 2008 good luck. Just rember the most important rule while you are out there and that is to have fun. You have been planning and waiting for this so dont waste it. You will have some hard times but thats what makes memories. Try to keep a good attitude towards others and harsh extrems of the weather. Dont let others bring you down. Its easy to say while Iam typing on the computer but I rember people complaining about the trail so much. Dont listen to it. Smile and laugh as much as possible and get involed in everything around you. Bluze blaze as much as possible. Absorb everything about the trail and the trail life. Because before you know it you will be home back at work. So good luck, and above all HAVE FUN.

max patch
02-04-2008, 18:48
. Bluze blaze as much as possible.

Thats a pretty dumb "rule," if your goal is to actually hike the Appalachian Trail.

snowhoe
02-04-2008, 18:55
Max patch is the type of person I was refering too.

Montego
02-04-2008, 19:18
I have learned many moons ago that it is not the desitnation, but the journey that is most important. If I was only interested in reaching the termini, then I could find a lot easier way to do so than walking. No, 'tis what one finds between the beginning and the end that is fascinating. :)

fiddlehead
02-04-2008, 22:21
And that "There are no rules" HYOH!

Shiloh
02-04-2008, 22:31
Thank You for the words of encouragement Snowshoe.

I have been rushing from point A to point B my whole life. This is one journey where I am going to go at a easy pace and enjoy as much of what the trail has to offer as possible. INCLUDING some Blue Blazes.

rickb
02-04-2008, 23:07
Better ways to have fun than thru hiking the AT.

Not many better ways to spend your time, though.

Much of hiking the AT is like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer.

It feels good when you stop.

Jim Adams
02-04-2008, 23:19
HYOH, its the journey not the destination, there are no rules, HAVE FUN.....unless your name is Chris McCandless then your considered a wreckless you with a death wish!...see: into the wild thread.

geek

Footslogger
02-04-2008, 23:25
To all the thru-hikers in 2008 good luck. So good luck, and above all HAVE FUN.

=============================================

Lost track of how many times I've told hikers that.

Keep it FUN !!

'Slogger

rafe
02-04-2008, 23:26
Much of hiking the AT is like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer.

It feels good when you stop.

Or like wearing boots that kill your feet -- it feels so good when you take them off. ;)

Mad Hatter 08
02-05-2008, 00:50
Or like wearing boots that kill your feet -- it feels so good when you take them off. ;)

great that reminds me i still haven't got my trail shoes.

Mad Hatter 08
02-05-2008, 00:50
i meant camp shoes

Ramble~On
02-05-2008, 00:59
I Bluze Blaze all the time...but I don't put those little olives in...and I like mine "shaken not stirred"

rafe
02-05-2008, 01:33
great that reminds me i still haven't got my trail shoes.

If you hike in trail runners you can skip the camp shoes. Just a thought (it worked for me.)

Mad Hatter 08
02-05-2008, 14:04
If you hike in trail runners you can skip the camp shoes. Just a thought (it worked for me.)

my ankles aren't that great. so i prefer the extra support from the boots. the runners are way more comfortable though, but if i sprain my ankle i can't hike for a week or two depending on severity.

ScottP
02-05-2008, 16:03
they'll get great pretty quickly then you can make the switch

warraghiyagey
02-05-2008, 17:11
NO rules.

Last_minute
02-05-2008, 18:16
HYOH, its the journey not the destination, there are no rules, HAVE FUN.....unless your name is Chris McCandless then your considered a wreckless you with a death wish!...see: into the wild thread.
geek

HYOH ... What does that truly mean? Those who know me well, say I take the extreme case when I'm passionate about something...I say you can take HYOH and throw it out the window and replace it with LYOL *
"LIVE YOUR OWN LIFE". I just finished reading Into the Wild and the only thing he did wrong was trap himself and eat something that didn't agree with him. If you think he was a wreckless with a death wish I urge you to read the book again and see the passion and courage it takes to truly Live your own life.

The prospective I've already gotten from life on the trail from reading such books as "A Walk in the Woods" -Bill Bryson and "Walking to Vermont" -Christopher Wren is that when people congregate - all they seem to talk about is how much they hike, what kind a stove they carry, and how much their pack weighs and I've already received a PM from someone who says NOBOs are all in one big competition with each other. Honestly, if this information is true I'm going to avoid you people like the plague. I'm not in it to race and I'm sure as hell not in it to brag.

* Sounds like "lol" doesn't it? This is why I believe acronyms are stupid. In the future when we all talk in acronyms, you can blame it on text messaging and blogging.