PDA

View Full Version : Dr Bonners Soap

Mouse
01-04-2004, 09:49
I have read about the need to keep "smellies" inside your bearbag. Is it safe to use Dr. Bronners Peppermint Soap on oneself and on clothing, or will that attract bears? I can just see bears mistaking me for a giant candy cane while I'm asleep!

Peaks
01-04-2004, 10:33
Generally speaking, the bears along the AT are only looking for food. They probably will not bother your other smellables, including soap, bug dope, toothpaste, etc. So when in bear country along the AT (mostly Georgia, Great Smokies National Park, Shenandoah National Park, and New Jersey), your food and trash should be either up on a bear cable, in a bear box, or otherwise out of reach of bears. Bears elsewhere along the AT are pretty timid and usually don't approach people, so no need for special precautions. Mice and other critters are more of a threat to your food in these places.

However, if you go to Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico, then all smellables, including the ones mentioned, go up in a bear bag every night.

smokymtnsteve
01-04-2004, 10:56
I use doc bronner's ...even brush my teeth with it ,,never had a bear problem.

Valmet
01-04-2004, 17:41
I have been using Bronners for over 20 years without issue. Even had a skunk smell it and turn its nose up at it. It is the greatest stuff ever invented for keeping clean. Nothing like heating up some warm water and cleaning your face with it.

SGT Rock
01-05-2004, 02:12
Mint is a naturally occuring weed that bears ignore. My unscientific guess is that the mint scent wouln't be related with food to a bear any more than the scent of paper would remind you of food.

Tater
01-10-2004, 15:50
So where do you find this doc bonners soap? just did a gooble search and got several hiking sites but no online store sites.

thestin
01-10-2004, 15:54
So where do you find this doc bonners soap? just did a gooble search and got several hiking sites but no online store sites.

Go to www.rei.com and do a search for soap. It's listed in the camping/hiking section. I've also seen it at the REI store in Atlanta

smokymtnsteve
01-10-2004, 15:56

Mtn crossings at neels gap ga

Streamweaver
01-10-2004, 16:39
www.campmor.com has Doc Bronners mint soap. Streamweaver

Peaks
01-10-2004, 17:20
Almost every outfitter stocks it, right next to the Camp Suds.

oruoja
01-11-2004, 03:58
Also have been using Bronners for well over 20 years. Reading the label has been entertaining. Two years ago tried getting some at the EMS in Burlington, Vt and the clerk told me they stopped carrying it because of customer complaints over the "objectionable label." Wow! Am glad that REI has not fallen prey to the PC crowd, at least when it comes to soap.

Tenacious Tanasi
01-11-2004, 05:19
Try this link. You can even get a sampler basket to try the different scents. Mary also has the liquid form of the soap.

http://www.maggiescottage.com/drbronmagsoa.html

Of course, if you do get the sampler & need someone to take the rose scented off your hands, let me know. I'll pass on my mailing address to ya. ;)

Valmet
01-11-2004, 09:09
You can also find it at health food, vitamin/herb type stores.

squirrel bait
01-11-2004, 09:47
Try this link. You can even get a sampler basket to try the different scents. Mary also has the liquid form of the soap.

http://www.maggiescottage.com/drbronmagsoa.html

Of course, if you do get the sampler & need someone to take the rose scented off your hands, let me know. I'll pass on my mailing address to ya. ;)

SH have you tried their bug repellant w/Neemaura? Is it a Dr. Bonners product? Nice link.

Tenacious Tanasi
01-20-2004, 03:51
SH have you tried their bug repellant w/Neemaura? Is it a Dr. Bonners product? Nice link.

Nope, can't say that I have. Anyone else? Would like to hear some reviews on it.

Jaybird
01-20-2004, 09:08
I have read about the need to keep "smellies" inside your bearbag. Is it safe to use Dr. Bronners Peppermint Soap on oneself and on clothing, or will that attract bears? I can just see bears mistaking me for a giant candy cane while I'm asleep!

Yo Mouse:

i used Dr.Bronner's in 2002. took a whole 5 oz. bottle on my 8 day section hike in "Bear country" Georgia-NC section...

i used it when we stayed @ Walasi-Yi (Neels Gap) on the 3rd day...then never used it again...as the next time...(5 days later) that i saw a shower...our section-hike was over! ;)

i wouldnt worry about the smell luring bears & other critters...
but if you want to be on the ultra-safe side....fly the "peppermint" soap! :D

see ya'll UP the trail in 2004!

norfamericana
08-20-2006, 10:42
i get it at Whole Foods

ShakeyLeggs
08-20-2006, 11:13
Here ya go (http://www.antigravitygear.com/store/index.php?cPath=23&osCsid=4a0e99fa622d1cbb6c52a0c7da4eb988)

Just scroll down it is there. Great stuff.

highway
09-01-2006, 15:58
I have tried the Doc Bronners as well as the camp suds but as a liquid, in small containers, I found that i used them up far to quickly. When I ran out, I just bought a bar of soap and found it lasted much, much longer than any liquid. Then I found that Ivory was about the most biodegradable and available about anyplace where food is sold and have stuck with using that. It works better, its considerably cheaper, it goes further and it is much, much lighter than the other aforementioned liquids. But I still use a small vial of baking soda for toothpaste and it will last a month.

dirt
09-03-2006, 01:36
http://www.drbronner.com/ Has a webstore now but its a little more expensive than buying from a retailer.

Topcat
09-03-2006, 10:07
Thanks for the link, i am a long time user of Dr. Bronner's for everything from washing cookpot to curing constipation. I was interested in this product though... http://www.drbronner.com/alpsnack_index.html

If i eat this energy bar, can i still pass my drugtest at work??

Swass
09-06-2006, 21:12
I buy Dr Bs at my local supermarket in the natural and organic foods section. I think they might also sell it at Wild Oats -type stores.

I noticed on that Alpsnack link that the FAQs were "Coming soon..." I bet anything the drug test question will be one of the first questions answered. I'm pretty curious myself!

Lanthar Mandragoran
09-07-2006, 11:25
I have tried the Doc Bronners as well as the camp suds but as a liquid, in small containers, I found that i used them up far to quickly. When I ran out, I just bought a bar of soap and found it lasted much, much longer than any liquid. Then I found that Ivory was about the most biodegradable and available about anyplace where food is sold and have stuck with using that. It works better, its considerably cheaper, it goes further and it is much, much lighter than the other aforementioned liquids. But I still use a small vial of baking soda for toothpaste and it will last a month.

I'm a fan of DrB's bar soap, myself.

headchange4u
09-07-2006, 18:19
I have been using Dr. Bonners for a little while now and I really like it. I have yet to brush my teeth with it or use it for ?constipation?, but I do use it a lot. I especially like the fact that it gives a nice tingle to my naughty bits when I use it as a body wash.

My main complaint was the peppermint smell. I'm not a big fan of peppermint but that was the only scent I have ever seen for sale in stores. It's nice to know that there are other scents out there. I am anxious to try the tea tree and eucalyptus.

I normally use the liquid soap. Is the liquid or bar soap better in you experience?

I have a Wild Oats store here locally. Does anyone know if they carry scents other than peppermint?

Swass
09-07-2006, 20:06
I love the peppermint for the same reason (the tingling... everywhere). But I've also tried the lavender and it's delightful. And I've always wanted to try the almond.

Something to consider... Lavender is supposed to be a natural bug repellent. I do lots of field work here in S Florida and our summers are BUGGY, so instead of using DEET on a daily basis I try to use a homemade blend of lemon eucalyptus, citronella, and lavender (among others). So I wonder if using the lavender soap while hiking would help slightly with the critters? I'm gonna have to try this.