PDA

View Full Version : Goals for 2009ers

Chaco Taco
02-04-2008, 21:43
I am thinking about what goals I am setting for myself in prep for my thruhike. I would like to hear what some of you other 09er's are working towards to make you hike better.
Mine are:
continue running (this is a new thing for me, now I cant stop)
Continue to not smoke cigarettes (day 100 in soon)
Save $140 from each paycheck til February 09
2 more long hikes (3-29-08, 10-08)
Lose 20 pounds
March 09 Springer Mtn.

Capt.Scott
02-04-2008, 22:36
Hey Colonel, this the Captain. I am going to be headed to Katahdin in 2009 and then heading SOBO. I think about this trip 24 hours/day. Besides keeping in shape, saving money and wanting to keep my pack as light as possible, I want to make sure my family is set-up. I plan on including them in my trip and probably hiking some with my kids. Perhaps we will meet on a mountain top. PEACE.

ScottP
02-04-2008, 22:50
You should set your weight goal based on bodyfat % rather than based simply on weight. You can buy lots of relatively cheap devices that do a decent enough job of monitoring your bodyfat (including scales).

You might be better served by cross-training (also biking, lifting lower body, and jumping rope, etc.) rather than simply running.

Or, you could do what I do to get ready for a thru-hike. Get fat and lazy, and spend too much time on whiteblaze.

trekkngirl
02-04-2008, 23:17
I plan to backpack every chance I get til Mar 16,2009 (my deceased dads birthday)..I feel being on the trail will prepare me for what I need to be, on the trail. :) I am reading many different guide books,maps and more guide books and maps..and books about others trips even watch a DVD or 2 on up til the day I leave on Mar 16,I plan to get as much out of this trail trip as possible..we have many out there before us that has led the way so I feel sure I just have to follow the path they did and I will reach my goal also..be it 300,600,1200, or even the whole through 2176 mile hike to Katahdin..I will do what I do and I will do it well.

Chaco Taco
02-04-2008, 23:25
Cool me too -3-16-09
Thats a great thing you are doing:sun

I plan to backpack every chance I get til Mar 16,2009 (my deceased dads birthday)..I feel being on the trail will prepare me for what I need to be, on the trail. :) I am reading many different guide books,maps and more guide books and maps..and books about others trips even watch a DVD or 2 on up til the day I leave on Mar 16,I plan to get as much out of this trail trip as possible..we have many out there before us that has led the way so I feel sure I just have to follow the path they did and I will reach my goal also..be it 300,600,1200, or even the whole through 2176 mile hike to Katahdin..I will do what I do and I will do it well.

88BlueGT
02-04-2008, 23:43
I plan on leaving March 17th or 18th. I don't have many goals but some. One is to get in shape. I'm a young guy so it shouldnt be too hard. I want to start hitting the gym and doing lots of cardio. Two, save up enough money so that I'm not struggling with money while on the trail. Three, gain as much experience as I possibly can. Do a couple week trips including a week in the Adirondacks sometime this summer.

Chaco Taco
02-05-2008, 01:48
What are some physical activities people are doing to "train". I know I cant get to the trails in the mountains but i am lucky to have a forest trail network right down the street with some good inclines and decents that i can go for long trail runs. Am also breaking down and doing old fashioned push ups, sit ups. Am starting to find yoga stretches are helping on trail runs. Also been throwing 15 pound weight sin my backpack that I carry around town all day.

ATSeamstress
02-05-2008, 02:00
Going northbound in 09. Probably starting early April. My retirement date is May 29 so I'll probably have to go home at some point and finalize that since my first two months will be vacation time.

I've been sectioning for 9 years now so I know what gear and food work for me. I do a lot of stairs at work and a lot of walking whenever I can. I will probably take one two-week hike this summer and possibly a fall trip. I need to build a new pack because the one I am using is just a prototype. It has held up really well, though, but I want to change a few things and use more suitable fabric.

hurryinghoosier
02-05-2008, 11:50
Leaving March 17, 2009 and doing the approach trail. I backpack one day every weekend that I can in the Southern Indiana hills---usually 10-13 miles. I carry my full pack just as if I were on the trail. I put a 10lb weight in to replace the weight of the food. I walk every other day in a sub-division (without my pack) that has lots of hills. I try to keep a 15 minute/mile pace. Some weeks I walk two or three days in a row. Usually 5 miles on the easy day and 8 miles the next day. I lift weights at the fitness center on days that I do not walk. I just started doing a stair climer after weight lifting. I started at 5 minutes and plan to add 15 seconds each time I do the stair climber. I started drinking nothing but water about two years ago and have just recently started cutting out bad foods in order to lose about 15 pounds. I do not smoke nor drink alcohol or sodas. One problem I am working on---my ankles get sore if I do more that 10 miles. As my strength is building up the soreness is getting less and less. The soreness used to set in at 5 miles. I am going to do a four or five day shakedown hike on the Knobstone trail in Feb or March while it is still cold and another hike 8-10 days on the AT this summer or fall. Beginning in April of 08 I plan to increas my daily walking miles and start carrying by backpack more.
I have purchased all my equipment except a camera and a couple stuff bags. I plan to set my Rainbow tarp/tent up once a week just to practice. I also am going to start cooking trail food with my alcohol stove to see what I like and what I dont like. If I can think of anything else I will add to this string.

Marta
02-05-2008, 12:45
What are some physical activities people are doing to "train". I know I cant get to the trails in the mountains but i am lucky to have a forest trail network right down the street with some good inclines and decents that i can go for long trail runs. Am also breaking down and doing old fashioned push ups, sit ups. Am starting to find yoga stretches are helping on trail runs. Also been throwing 15 pound weight sin my backpack that I carry around town all day.

Just walking around town is good. The mental aspect, of learning how to be alone while walking along, is at least as important as the mental aspect. Walking around alone is a lot different than working out in a gym, with TV going and music playing. The gym may be more efficient, but IMO walking is more effective.

88BlueGT
02-05-2008, 15:39
Trails are the best to train on but some people don't have this option. I load up with 35-40lbs and walk on a treadmill with a steep incline. After half hour of power walking with the incline I'll take the pack off and keep up a fast jog, than reverse. Than basic weight lifting when I get a chance. I dont do any of this often but I am going to start very soon.