PDA

View Full Version : Foot Care- Infantry Style

scout005
02-04-2008, 22:57
I know foot care isn't a big issue on the trail but I've seen some pretty hellacious blisters on folks to the point where they looked like they were starting to get infected. Once you get to that point and your still putting in big miles, they don't get a chance to heal. I haven't had a lot of blisters and foot problems over the years which I attribute to learning to take care of my feet in the military. It was stressed that in the field you try to either wash or at least rinse off your feet at the end of the day, dry em as best you can and put a little powder on em. Also try to put at least a dry (if not very clean) pair of socks on each day. A lot of times, it wasn't practical to do all that but that was the theory and it seemed to work for me. I wonder how many folks get off the trail or get turned off to backpacking due to blisters and foot problems that a little TLC at the end of the day might have prevented. Just my 2 cents. I know all you purist/hardcore dudes are gonna say "wash your feet? what a wuss!"

Smile
02-04-2008, 23:09
Very good advice, I think that people who are in the know, won't think this a "what a wuss!" idea. The 'shake and bake' powder in a bag was a great addition to many hiker packs when I was out there last. Light, and worth it. Keeps them smelling a little nicer when you climb into your bag at night as well :)

GGS2
02-04-2008, 23:12
No, excellent. And not just the feet. The long discussion of crotch rot shows that you need to do the same for all the enclosed sweat areas of the body. It is hard to feel clean and warm if you haven't cleaned your feet, crotch and underarms, and changed into some relatively dry clothes. The funny thing about clothes is that when the body they're on is clean, the clothes don't feel quite so dirty, even though it feels bad to clean yourself and put back the very same clothes you just got out of. Better to have a clean set, but you do the best you can.

Much of hiker funk can be avoided by proper sweat control. That means elementary cleanup, as you note with the feet, and then judicious cleaning of the inner clothing layers whenever possible. Avoiding excess sweat in the first place helps during cold weather. Much harder in the hot, of course, but then cleaning is much easier, too.

doggiebag
02-04-2008, 23:13
I don't think I've ever been more aware of my feet until I did my hike last year. I'm not one to be obcessed by foot care. But I was definitely aware of hot spots, worn out boot liners and every little detail that could hurt my feet. I'm pretty sure most other long-distance hikers are just as detail minded with regards to their feet. The only other thing that I constantly maintained more were the boots that wrapped around them. Nothing wussy about foot care ... it makes all sense in the world.

greentick
02-07-2008, 13:33
If you start getting a hotspot it's time to take a break and tape it. I like tincture benzoin and moleskin but YMMV. I like moleskin over 100mph tape because it has some cushion to it. The benzoin makes it stick real good.

take-a-knee
02-07-2008, 14:14
If you start getting a hotspot it's time to take a break and tape it. I like tincture benzoin and moleskin but YMMV. I like moleskin over 100mph tape because it has some cushion to it. The benzoin makes it stick real good.

What he said, though duct tape works for me usually. Like Greentick said, you need to take action WAY before you get a disruption of the skin layers, IE, get an actual blister with a vessicle (fluid) instead of a hotspot.

mudhead
02-07-2008, 14:19
I'm pretty sure most other long-distance hikers are just as detail minded with regards to their feet.

Even short-haul types can get pretty fussy about the hooves.

C Mart
02-07-2008, 23:15
You live, you learn, you get moleskin. :eek: