PDA

View Full Version : Gear List! Please take a look!

quasarr
02-05-2008, 00:49
I finally wrote down my gear list!! Any advice would be appreciated! Especially if it's regarding at item I haven't bought yet.

this is for 2008 SOBO, start date June or July. I haven't weighed everything, so a lot of the weights are educated guesses. And I wrote some comments at the bottom.

Thank you!!! :)

Link:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pBxw1O7aoF_1p3ldltH8UDA

JAK
02-05-2008, 00:52
Montbell Alpine down jacket 9.5 oz

How much of that is shell weight and how much of that is down?

quasarr
02-05-2008, 01:10
according to their website, the fill weight is 2.8 oz, and the down is 800 fill

ScottP
02-05-2008, 01:21
you don't need the fleece and the down jacket--get rid of the fleece. I would buy a Western Mountaineering Flight down vest if I carried any insulation. You may not need any to start off with.

you don't need to carry a long sleeve shirt if you're already wearing one, same with leggings--just keep one set. Also, bring some sort of a t-shirt or tank top to hike in.

Why not get a ray way pack as well?

Ray way quilts are good, especially if you and your boyfriend will be sharing one. nunatak and jacks are better both make 2 person down quilts if you want to go with down

You might want to think about a canister or wood stove cooking for two people, and also a 2.5-3L pot.

You WILL want something for the bugs to start off with (net tent, etc)

a separate hat is a good thing.

you don't need the umbrella--that's for desert hiking

add a DWR coated windshirt from REI or EMS--good for the rain/wind, adds a lot of warmth for the weight.

JAK
02-05-2008, 01:25
according to their website, the fill weight is 2.8 oz, and the down is 800 fillI'm thinking you might be better off putting that 9.5oz together with the 10oz or so fleece layer into some additional or thicker wool layers, but I already beat this horse to death in another recent thread.

envirodiver
02-05-2008, 01:30
Are you planning on making some test runs with this gear list prior to living with it for 6 months?

quasarr
02-05-2008, 01:40
you don't need the fleece and the down jacket--get rid of the fleece. I would buy a Western Mountaineering Flight down vest if I carried any insulation. You may not need any to start off with.

This is what I was hoping to hear! I meant to use the fleece while hiking if it was cold. I usually generate a lot of heat exercising, so unless it gets below 20 I don't think I'll need the fleece for hiking. Western Mountaineering anything is a bit out of my price range thought :(

you don't need to carry a long sleeve shirt if you're already wearing one, same with leggings--just keep one set. Also, bring some sort of a t-shirt or tank top to hike in.

I like to have one shirt & pants for hiking, and a separate set to keep dry for sleeping in. Maybe I could do away with the extra leggings. If it's cold enough to wear them hiking, I won't be sweating on them! The silk shirt is what I planned to wear, and just roll up the sleeves if it gets hot. Kind of a 2 shirts in one deal. I thought of cutting the sleeves off but I don't think I'll do that.

Why not get a ray way pack as well?

To be honest, I just don't feel like making it! It's taken weeks to finish my Ray-Way stuff because I can only work on it during visits to my mom's house (she has a sewing machine). Also I already bought the quilt kit but have not finished sewing it yet. Yes, me and my boyfriend are sharing the quilt.

You might want to think about a canister or wood stove cooking for two people, and also a 2.5-3L pot.

We each have our own cookset, his is a duplicate of mine. We usually don't share meals because I'm a vegetarian and he isn't.

you don't need the umbrella--that's for desert hiking

I'll admit I'm new to using an umbrella as rain gear. I just like the idea of it, to avoid sweating so much under a jacket that you might as well be in the rain! And there's a nice psychological boost of being "sheltered."

Thank you very much for your comments!

quasarr
02-05-2008, 01:46
Are you planning on making some test runs with this gear list prior to living with it for 6 months?

good point!! I'm going on a 1-week shakedown trip over spring break. Hopefully I'll have good things to report. And although I'm new to lightweight, I've logged lots of time with my old heavy stuff. At one point this summer I was carrying 7 lbs of just cheese ... I told myself, never again!

envirodiver
02-05-2008, 01:48
LOL that's a lot of cheese. That's great a week will give you a decent feel for what you have and maybe don't have.

Good luck and have a great hike.

ScottP
02-05-2008, 01:50
check out packs from ULA, www.zpacks.com, or six moons--you're going very light, so you really don't need a frame/hipbelt pack. Rucksacks are also way cheaper.

bigcranky
02-05-2008, 08:52
I have to smile a little at the weights -- though many of them are "educated guesses," even those have been guessed to the tenth of an ounce. (Yes, my own gear list is in tenths of an ounce, though I am sure my scale isn't quite that accurate. Hence the smile.)

It can get cold on a sobo hike. Even in Maine in July, especially in the south in the late fall. I'd bring a light rain shell to start -- it'll be lighter than your umbrella/cheap poncho -- and add rain pants when I pick up my winter gear. Much warmer and far more durable than a cheap poncho. If you really like the umbrella idea, the Golite is good. I use one in warm weather as my only rain gear.

I like my wind shirt. It's far more useful than its three-ounce weight might indicate. You do need something to hike in when it's cold, and a wind shirt over a l/s base layer has worked well for me in all kinds of weather.

I've always carried a separate hat or two. But this weekend I tried on the hooded Montbell Alpine Light Parka. Mmmmmmmm. Especially if you want to use a quilt for sleeping, the hooded parka is pretty sweet. I'd still add a light fleece balaclava, especially in my winter kit.

Looking at the above, my one "big-picture" suggestion would be to have some cold-weather clothing ready to pick up somewhere in the South, maybe in mid to late October. The other suggestion is that your list isn't all that heavy, even as-is. Though a March shake-down will help point out any refinements it might need.

sheepdog
02-05-2008, 09:39
No cup? What are you going to drink you nice hot cup of spiced cider or tea in just before bed time? I guess I am not an ultra lite guy.

quasarr
02-05-2008, 10:52
I have to smile a little at the weights -- though many of them are "educated guesses," even those have been guessed to the tenth of an ounce. (Yes, my own gear list is in tenths of an ounce, though I am sure my scale isn't quite that accurate. Hence the smile.)

ha ha ha! :p I'm in school for engineering, can you blame me? At least I rounded my guesses to the nearest half ounce ... :o

It can get cold on a sobo hike. Even in Maine in July, especially in the south in the late fall. I'd bring a light rain shell to start -- it'll be lighter than your umbrella/cheap poncho -- and add rain pants when I pick up my winter gear. Much warmer and far more durable than a cheap poncho. If you really like the umbrella idea, the Golite is good. I use one in warm weather as my only rain gear.

I like my wind shirt. It's far more useful than its three-ounce weight might indicate. You do need something to hike in when it's cold, and a wind shirt over a l/s base layer has worked well for me in all kinds of weather

Thank you for this info, I've lived in the South my whole life so I have no idea what to expect in New England. Cold? Snow? Sharks?? :eek:

And I have a nylon wind/rain shirt that my boyfriend got for free from his old job, but it weighs 6oz. I haven't cut off the pockets yet, maybe I can shave that down to 3 or 4!!! (he gave me the green light to do that, by the way ;) )

I've always carried a separate hat or two. But this weekend I tried on the hooded Montbell Alpine Light Parka. Mmmmmmmm. Especially if you want to use a quilt for sleeping, the hooded parka is pretty sweet. I'd still add a light fleece balaclava, especially in my winter kit.

Looking at the above, my one "big-picture" suggestion would be to have some cold-weather clothing ready to pick up somewhere in the South, maybe in mid to late October. The other suggestion is that your list isn't all that heavy, even as-is. Though a March shake-down will help point out any refinements it might need.

Yes I am planning to use the jacket with the quilt. I think the hood will be warmer than a separate hat, but the hat is more convenient. I like to wear a hat for the first few minutes of hiking until I warm up. I am ordering the jacket soon, so I have to decide! Also I have some leftover insulation from the quilt, I thought of making an insulated balaclava from that.

[QUOTE]No cup? What are you going to drink you nice hot cup of spiced cider or tea in just before bed time? I guess I am not an ultra lite guy./QUOTE]

I just use my water bottle! Works just as good as a "heavy" extra cup. ;) The Gatorade bottles have a wide mouth that it's easy to pour into. Actually, you gave me an idea! I work at a coffee shop and we use those stryfoam cups. They are very light, I bet if I cut one down to fit in my pot it would weigh less than 0.5 oz ... :p

Thank you everyone for your comments!!!!

maxNcathy
02-05-2008, 11:25
How will an umbrella fare in rain driven by mountain crazed winds..

If You use hiking poles who holds the umbrella to ward off the wild wet winds..

Oh, well, what's a few ounces anyway..maybe you can find a use for it.

ScottP
02-05-2008, 11:58
In a New England July you can expect mud and bugs. You'll want to camp on mountaintops because there are less bugs there.

It can get brisk at night on the top of a mountain, but not so cold that you can't stay warm in camp just by wrapping up in your quilt--it's much more useful than a sleeping bag.

You'll be much more likely to be hot when hiking than cold--by the time you get to the south you'll know what you want/need for warm stuff there. I'm still a believer in the afternoon-breaks in very cool or hot weather--spend the coldest parts of the day hiking and the warm parts of the day relaxing in the shade and swimming, cooking your hot meal, etc.

quasarr
02-05-2008, 12:52
How will an umbrella fare in rain driven by mountain crazed winds..

If You use hiking poles who holds the umbrella to ward off the wild wet winds..

The idea is to use the umbrella when it's rainy but not windy, and when the wind picks up use the poncho - although it flaps annoyingly. I don't use hiking poles so that's no problem.

I only used my umbrella once while backpacking, but it was glorious! The rain began, heavy and warm but not windy. The other hikers glumly put on their $200 GoreTex rain coats and began to roast away. I pulled out my umbrella with a flourish and stayed dry & well ventilated! The looks on their faces were a hoot. :D

I know that probably isn't a representative sample of backcountry umbrella use, but hey it won me over! On my shakedown I can bring the umbrella and a the nylon jacket, hope for rain and see which I prefer!!

It can get brisk at night on the top of a mountain, but not so cold that you can't stay warm in camp just by wrapping up in your quilt--it's much more useful than a sleeping bag.

You'll be much more likely to be hot when hiking than cold--by the time you get to the south you'll know what you want/need for warm stuff there. I'm still a believer in the afternoon-breaks in very cool or hot weather--spend the coldest parts of the day hiking and the warm parts of the day relaxing in the shade and swimming, cooking your hot meal, etc.

The quilt has the "split-zip" option, which means it zips in two and we each carry half. Half a quilt will be nice and manageable to wrap up at camp! Good suggestion, I had not thought of that. :)

And I get hot easily while hiking and tend to sweat a lot, even if it's in the 40s and I'm wearing a t-shirt. But at camp I tend to be colder than other people, probably because of the aforementioned sweating!

Thank you both for your suggestions

Appalachian Tater
02-05-2008, 13:45
The idea is to use the umbrella when it's rainy but not windyThat won't happen enough on the A.T. to make the weight of an umbrella worth it. (You even admit you have only used it once before.) You're not going to stay dry in the rain, you will be wet either from the rain or from sweat. Wear a rain jacket if it is cold so you will be warm and wet rather than cold and wet. I would invest in durable rain protection, not a glorified garbage bag.

Forget the spork, go with a spoon, The spork doesn't work very well as a spoon. Not once when hiking have I ever needed a fork.

Am I missing your compass?

Ear plugs.

Sun screen for an early spring start if you burn.

bigcranky
02-05-2008, 14:43
I'm pretty sure she's a sobo, but I'd still carry a squirt of sunscreen in a film can. Nothing like preventing cancer for less than an ounce of weight....

Ditto on the spoon -- a spork is just the definition of a compromise, doesn't do either thing well. I love a long-handled spoon to dig out food from the bottom of a pot or ziploc bag.

Engineering school, huh? NCSU? My dad's an engineer. I am familiar with the species.

quasarr
02-05-2008, 15:37
Thanks guys!

I'll go with a spoon instead of a spork. I did indeed forget to list my compass.

How do you guys feel about a rain hat and a rain jacket without a hood? I feel that setup keeps your head dry but your neck cool. I've never been cold enough to need a hood while hiking.

Yes I go to NCSU. Graduating in May with Mechanical Engineering ... yay! :banana

Appalachian Tater
02-05-2008, 15:42
Thanks guys!

I'll go with a spoon instead of a spork. I did indeed forget to list my compass.

How do you guys feel about a rain hat and a rain jacket without a hood? I feel that setup keeps your head dry but your neck cool. I've never been cold enough to need a hood while hiking.

Yes I go to NCSU. Graduating in May with Mechanical Engineering ... yay! :banana

If you have a hood, water doesn't get in the neck. If you wear glasses, it also helps keep them dry.

If you end up going with a rain jacket like a Marmot Precip or similar, you won't need a wind shirt or wind jacket. So you would save weight over an umbrella, poncho, and wind shirt. You might also consider something like a Packa. I wish I could borrow one to try out for a rainy weekend.

amigo
02-05-2008, 16:13
My $.02:

I agree with the comments on sporks, at least the type that have both the spoon and the fork on the same end of the implement. They do not function well as either a spoon or a fork. However, the Light My Fire Spork is a different story. These have the spoon at one end and the fork at the other. I tried these out with my daughter last fall and they work great! Also, they only weigh .02 oz, so you will save weight off the .05 oz you have listed for a spork.

Next, and more importantly, for your fire starting kit, you should have a Bic lighter as your primary fire source, then my advice is to back it up with waterproof and windproof matches like these:

http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme%20gear/fire%20starters%20main/nato_issue_lifeboat_matches.htm

These weigh .06 in the container. But, keep the container in a zip lock bag as it may be difficult to light these if the striker surface is soaked. Since you are carrying alcohol for your stove, this will also serve as fire starting fuel. And, 2 ounces is too heavy for a fuel bottle. You can find one that weighs no more than 1 ounce.

Also, the disposable ponchos weigh about 1.3 ounces, and they are surprisingly effective. They're not perfect, but no raingear is, and with care they will last several days of non-stop rain.

If you're still looking to save some weight, I think 4 oz is too heavy for your first aid kit. You should be able to put one together for about 2 oz.

But, in reality, with your base pack weight down below 12 pounds, a few ounces one way or the other isn't going to be noticeable.

Good luck!

ScottP
02-05-2008, 16:31
Make sure you keep your fingernails trimmed too. Those things are HEAVY.

My $.02:

I agree with the comments on sporks, at least the type that have both the spoon and the fork on the same end of the implement. They do not function well as either a spoon or a fork. However, the Light My Fire Spork is a different story. These have the spoon at one end and the fork at the other. I tried these out with my daughter last fall and they work great! Also, they only weigh .02 oz, so you will save weight off the .05 oz you have listed for a spork.

Next, and more importantly, for your fire starting kit, you should have a Bic lighter as your primary fire source, then my advice is to back it up with waterproof and windproof matches like these:

http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme%20gear/fire%20starters%20main/nato_issue_lifeboat_matches.htm

These weigh .06 in the container. But, keep the container in a zip lock bag as it may be difficult to light these if the striker surface is soaked. Since you are carrying alcohol for your stove, this will also serve as fire starting fuel. And, 2 ounces is too heavy for a fuel bottle. You can find one that weighs no more than 1 ounce.

Also, the disposable ponchos weigh about 1.3 ounces, and they are surprisingly effective. They're not perfect, but no raingear is, and with care they will last several days of non-stop rain.

If you're still looking to save some weight, I think 4 oz is too heavy for your first aid kit. You should be able to put one together for about 2 oz.

But, in reality, with your base pack weight down below 12 pounds, a few ounces one way or the other isn't going to be noticeable.

Good luck!

mountain squid
02-05-2008, 16:53
Some observations:

lighter
food stuff sack
50' nylon rope
hand sanitizer
TP
whistle
camera
radio/mp3 player
pen/pencil
notebook
small knife with tweezers/scissors (ticks/nail cutting)
duct tape

And, dont forget ID/atm/credit cards...phone card (with important phone #s) also, if no cell phone...

mountain squid
02-05-2008, 17:12
hmmm...that last post was incomplete - don't know how that happened:confused:.

Some observations:

lighter
food stuff sack
50' nylon rope
hand sanitizer
TP
whistle
camera
radio/mp3 player
pen/pencil
notebook
small knife with tweezers/scissors (ticks/nail cutting)
duct tape

And, dont forget ID/atm/credit cards...phone card (with important phone #s) also, if no cell phone...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/happy063.gifumbrella thoughts: I use this one (http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=2328311). The only time it didn't work well was in the Whites. Too windy. It got inverted once, so I didn't mess with it again in the Whites. I also carry a lightweight wind shirt with the umbrella.

I rig it onto my shoulder strap and it rests on my hat covered head. I can continue walking with my poles. It is great. Everyone else gets wet, because they don't want to stop to put on their rain gear or if they do stop, as you noted, they get too hot.

I didn't get it until Damascus, so I'm not sure if it is worth it, to carry it when cold (since you would probably be wearing/carrying a jacket anyway).

quasarr
02-05-2008, 17:14
Good eye you guys, I forgot to list my mini-Bic lighter which is to light the stove and starting fires. I'm going to make an emergency fire kit with waterproof matches and a storebought tinder pellet, then put it in a pill bottle or other waterproof container.

boyfriend is bringing a camera & cell phone

thank you mountainsquid - pencil, mini swiss army knife, duct tape, and ID/credit card. these are all items I am planning to bring. I keep phone numbers in my head, where they don't weigh anything! ;)

Appalachian Tater
02-05-2008, 18:10
Oh, I forgot to mention, if you want to know how much your stuff actually weighs, and you don't have a scale, go to the P.O. during off-hours and use their scale.

quasarr
02-05-2008, 18:28
Appalachian Tater, my friend has a food scale that she lets me use. However it only goes up to 5 lbs, so when I finally get my pack all together I'll have to use the post office scale.

I haven't weighed everything because I have to go to my friend's house to use the scale, and I always forget something.

mountain squid, I was writing before you replied with your extended post. I'm glad to hear a pro-umbella opinion! :p Of course different people have their preferences, and I definitely need more umbrella experience before I decide if it's the best for me. I'll use my home-modified one, and buy the Go-Lite or Montbell if I like it!!

I like a poncho over a jacket because it covers your pack. I'm definitely willing to buy/make a poncho out of sil nylon so it won't be as flimsy as my dollar store version.

quasarr
02-05-2008, 18:32
also in spite of my best efforts I don't think I can fit the quilt on the food scale, that's another post office item!!

ScottP
02-05-2008, 19:15
Your quilt should be light enough to be in range of the food scale. Put it in it's stuff sack, and put a small, light box on the food scale.

I've weighed lots of random items (backpacks, etc) on my food scale.

HighlanderII
02-05-2008, 19:16
Maybe others have said some of this stuff but here are my thoughts.

Bug gear -- its buggy in ME in June/July. In 2003 NOBO I used more bug repellent in the last 150 miles than I ever have. The SOBOs with head nets were lucky to have them. You want something to keep the bugs away at night too.

Fuel bottle -- for alcohol, you can use a 16 or 20oz soda bottle -- I use a green one so its obvious which one is fuel and which ones are water.

You've got a ton of clothes. You'll probably be happier with the pack weight if you carry only one set of everything (except socks where 2-3 pairs is worth the extra weight). For example you have a pair of leggings carried and worn -- your sleeping bag is going to get trashed on the hike and smell nasty pretty much no matter what you do so sleeping cloths aren't going to help much.

You should be able to use a short ridge rest for the summer especially if you are using a ground cloth when you tarp. (I see you footnote now -- cut off the end, cut it narrower, you'll be happier with a lighter pack.)

With a Hooded rain coat (breathable), the marmot precip is pretty popular with the long distance hiking crowd, you can replace the poncho, umbrella, and wind shirt. You might want to consider rain pants as well which work for warmth in camp or when its really cold and miserable while hiking. The same is true for a hooded rain coat, I almost never use it while hiking but where it in camp a lot (it has to be in the 40F's or less and be raining to hike in rain gear for me.)

A pack cover that keeps the pack dry (I have yet to find a silnylon one which works for me) or a garbage bag liner will keep you gear drier and lighter when it rains.

Some of your weight estimates seem low and some seem high but I think on average you are a little low for your base pack weight measurement. If you can find a store with the gear you want, bring a scale and measure it in the store so you know before you buy.

I don't carry the guidebooks, just the maps, databook, and companion pages. Some people like them, but if you're covering lots of miles in a day, the every 1/10th mile trail descriptions are really unnecessary and just cut into hiking time.

Good luck!

quasarr
02-05-2008, 20:05
I just updated the spreadsheet with the forgotten items included

Highlander, the extra clothes are so I'll have a dry pair to put on at night, not to keep clean. I don't really know the difference between guidebook/databook/companion book? I prefer the most basic one!

thanks for your response!

Blissful
02-05-2008, 20:22
I'll admit I'm new to using an umbrella as rain gear. I just like the idea of it, to avoid sweating so much under a jacket that you might as well be in the rain! And there's a nice psychological boost of being "sheltered."

My son used a Go lite umbrella on his hike, just loved it. After two weeks of his frogg togg jacket he hated rain gear. Got lots of stares and chuckles, but it worked for him.
Go for it.

But you might ditch it at the end of your hike when it gets cold.

GGS2
02-05-2008, 20:27
If you have a hood, water doesn't get in the neck. If you wear glasses, it also helps keep them dry.

Hoods do keep the rain off your neck, but they are pretty annoying when you want to turn your head side to side, especially if you wear glasses. They also tend to slip over your eyes. They do keep you warmer, though. Apples, oranges.

Blissful
02-05-2008, 20:33
For example you have a pair of leggings carried and worn -- your sleeping bag is going to get trashed on the hike and smell nasty pretty much no matter what you do so sleeping cloths aren't going to help much.

The idea of sleeping in sweaty clothes you hiked in and if the temps drop or it's rained and it gets chilly can be really uncomfortable, IMO. I recommend something different to sleep in for comfort (I did and the weight was no big deal. I used a duofold thin top and thin microfleece pants). And my sleeping bag did not get trashed per say. Unless you sleep cowboy with nothing under it (my son did that a couple times and his bag did get pretty flithy. But bags can be washed) I used tyvek under it if shelter sleeping. In a tent it didn't matter. And a silk liner that you wash can keep it clean on the inside. But even if it does get dirty from your legs, and a little odiferous etc, you can wash bags in town. But I'd say guys smell them up and dirty them up a little more anyway. :)

Blissful
02-05-2008, 20:38
Hoods do keep the rain off your neck, but they are pretty annoying when you want to turn your head side to side, especially if you wear glasses. They also tend to slip over your eyes. They do keep you warmer, though. Apples, oranges.

I wore a marmot precip baseball cap (from Campmor) to protect my glasses. Except for the sideways mist, it worked pretty good. Hoods make you hot (and rain jackets are a pain anyway to hike in unless the temps are low and its windy, which I wore both my hood and baseball cap so my hair didn't get wet. I found out wet hair can chill you real fast). In the summer I used my windshirt in rain.

GGS2
02-05-2008, 20:40
My $.02:

Next, and more importantly, for your fire starting kit, you should have a Bic lighter as your primary fire source

Then when you really need a fire, you can light the spork with the BiC!

Pokey2006
02-05-2008, 20:51
You'll probably want separate shirts for warm and cold weather while hiking. A t-shirt and a WARM long-sleeve shirt (like a thermal layer, or a light wool sweater). You can always bounce ahead the warm layer if the weather gets too hot.

Definitely don't forget toilet paper -- wet wipes sometimes work better.

Fleece gloves.

Girl stuff (like a Diva Cup or pads or whatever). Plan ahead for how you'll deal with that time of month.

An extra set of batteries for your headlamp.

HighlanderII
02-06-2008, 19:21
Everyone has their own opinion about gear but here's something that's gear independent, sort of...

Take your pack (or whatever pack you have now) and load it up with the gear or close approximation of the gear you plan on carrying for your trip plus the amount food you will be carrying on the first day out (for example, 4 days worth). Now go hike (on a trail, not the road) what you intend to be your first day's planned miles. It doesn't really matter if you camp at the end of the hike or not (that would be a good test of your real gear though). The next day do the same distance hike with full gear. this will simulate what things will be like at the start of your hike and will give you an idea of what works and what doesn't for what you'll be doing most of the time you're on the trail, hiking, plus how 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, or 60+lbs feels on your back for the hike distance.

If you want to see the difference a lighter pack makes, do the same trip with some food substituted with water which you pour out either halfway through each day or just for the second day's hike.

Good luck!

quasarr
02-07-2008, 16:00
thank you Highlander for your suggestion!! unfortunately there aren't many trails around here ... the only ones I know of are paved! I can always walk along side a road or something.

Also, what do you guys think of this for a bug shelter under the tarp??

http://www.sonomaoutfitters.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=147!226 (http://www.sonomaoutfitters.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=147%21226)

The netting isn't noseeum proof, but I know of a mesh treatment spray that repels noseeums. The net doesn't have a floor, but they make it look like it does in the picture, tricky tricky! Will the lack of a floor be a problem in letting bugs sneak through?

There are floored net shelters you can buy, but they are in the $100 and 2lb range. Also there's Ray's net tent, but like I said I don't want to make more gear if I can avoid it!!

thank you!

ScottP
02-07-2008, 18:02
That bug shelter is pretty expensive/heavy

I wouldn't trust your noseeum spray. Spring for noseeum netting.

Try the equinox mantis: http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm/EQ3050

or for the next step up try the A-16 bug bivy

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm?PRODUCTS__ProductID=ADV1000

Keep it in reserve at home, an send it to yourself either when you think bugs will begin to be a problem, or at Delaware Water Gap

Dogwood
02-07-2008, 19:53
The MontBell down and Thermawrap vests are a bit cheaper then the WM Flight or Flash vests. Both make super lite super insulating highly compressible gear!!! Just bought a Mont Bell Thermawrap from e-OMC for $89 to replace my bulkier heavier fleece.

quasarr
02-07-2008, 19:56
My boyfriend and I are sharing a doublewide quilt, so the bug protection has to fit over both of us. As far as I can tell the Mantis and A16 don't come in 2-person sizes. The only 2-person bug bivys I can find are either like this

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/tentdetail.cfm/ID1011

(disadvantage - $100 and 26 oz. advantage - has a floor and noseeum netting)

and the other type is like I linked to before

http://http://www.sonomaoutfitters.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=147%21226

(advantage - $45 and 13 oz. disadvantage - no floor, mosquito net only. I feel I could lessen the weight a by replacing the spreader bar with something lighter)

quasarr
02-07-2008, 19:58
oops I messed up the 2nd link, here it is

http://www.sonomaoutfitters.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=147%21226

and Dogwood, will you tell me how you like your Montbell vest? I haven't ordered mine yet but I will probably go with the Alpine down jacket. thank you!!

Dogwood
02-07-2008, 20:05
Not real familar w/ Ray's tarp U are using as shelter but if it has an inside loop or something U can attache it to a Gossamer Gear $30 3 oz, bug net may work for U to keep the vampires off. Or, U could rig something up w/ trekking poles if U use them. Of course, if $$$ is an issue $3 head net might work w/ lots of bug dope(can be hot and require keeping your sleeping bag zipped up on hot nights).

Dogwood
02-07-2008, 20:12

and Dogwood, will you tell me how you like your Montbell vest? I haven't ordered mine yet but I will probably go with the Alpine down jacket. thank you!!

Will do! It looks like the Thermawrap is cut with a more snug fit than other MontBell vests. I've seen them on the trail before and can say they are a great piece of high quality UL highly insulating compressible gear just be prepared to treat them w/ a little extra care because the shell fabric seems thin.

Dogwood
02-07-2008, 20:34
I just updated the spreadsheet with the forgotten items included

Highlander, the extra clothes are so I'll have a dry pair to put on at night, not to keep clean. I don't really know the difference between guidebook/databook/companion book? I prefer the most basic one!

thanks for your response!

The Companion is going to contain most, if not all, the info U need! Get that first, check it out, and then decide if U need any more info. Topo maps are not absolutely essential if U stay mainly to the AT. If U are a map person, need to see where U are at every mile of the way, want detailed elevation profiles, do unexpected resupplies into towns, blue blaze, or are looking to wander off trail do consider them, even if it is for only certain sections, states, or areas(like GSMNP, Shenendoah,etc.).

ScottP
02-08-2008, 00:51
Don't make the mistake of ordering gear before you have to. You'll have months on the trail before you'll need a down vest, and you'll have a lot better idea of what you want at that point.

You might want to think about just buying a tarptent for the first month or two then swapping that out for your tarp.

the six moons designs refuge is a reasonable 27 ounces (but it's expensive)

FanaticFringer
02-08-2008, 01:22
I'd get the Alpine light down jacket. I have one and really love it. Perfect size. No michelin man effect and still plenty warm. Super light.
www.e-omc.com/catalog/products/2198/MontBell-Alpine-Light-Down-Jacket-Mens.html

jessicacomp
02-09-2008, 19:34
I often see suggestions to take gatorade bottles instead of nalgene type ones, and I see that on your list as well. However, that kind of surprises me because the plastic used in gatorade type bottles becomes toxic after only a few uses. Repeated washing and rinsing can cause the plastic to break down and the carcinogens (cancer-causing chemical agents) can leach into the water that you are drinking. So, yeah it'll weigh less, but it's not the healthiest.

spittinpigeon
02-09-2008, 19:41
I often see suggestions to take gatorade bottles instead of nalgene type ones, and I see that on your list as well. However, that kind of surprises me because the plastic used in gatorade type bottles becomes toxic after only a few uses. Repeated washing and rinsing can cause the plastic to break down and the carcinogens (cancer-causing chemical agents) can leach into the water that you are drinking. So, yeah it'll weigh less, but it's not the healthiest.

Source? And who washes anything on the trail?

Programbo
02-09-2008, 20:26
I`m sure I`ll get flamed but...Ugh..To light of a load..I think for someone with basically no long distance hiking experience to attempt a thru-hike AND do it in an ultra-light manner is just a recipe for failure...Yes I know people accomplish this all the time but the vast majority don`t and for good reason... The whole "ultra-light" movement was started for experienced hikers to find new ways to push their limits.. To expect someone not of this cut to suddenly live this spartan lifestyle and do it for 6 months is one of the main reasons (If you read between the lines) that people drop out and drop out quickly every year.....My little rant being over I shall now wish you all the best of luck and suggest you take the next 6 months or so and get in really good shape so that you can comfortably carry a bit more weight and take along some of the little luxuries which will make the trip more enjoyable and bearable...I can`t imagine carrying 3-4 more pounds will make that drastic of a difference physically,but those few little niceties will make all the difference to your mental well being daily

jessicacomp
02-09-2008, 20:31
Source? And who washes anything on the trail?

if you just look it up, i am sure you'll find it. it's been known for years. surely you could find dozens of articles if you type it into google.
as far as washing stuff on the trail, you may be right but i'm just saying it's not healthy is all.

sheepdog
02-09-2008, 21:20
I`m sure I`ll get flamed but...Ugh..To light of a load..I think for someone with basically no long distance hiking experience to attempt a thru-hike AND do it in an ultra-light manner is just a recipe for failure...Yes I know people accomplish this all the time but the vast majority don`t and for good reason... The whole "ultra-light" movement was started for experienced hikers to find new ways to push their limits.. To expect someone not of this cut to suddenly live this spartan lifestyle and do it for 6 months is one of the main reasons (If you read between the lines) that people drop out and drop out quickly every year.....My little rant being over I shall now wish you all the best of luck and suggest you take the next 6 months or so and get in really good shape so that you can comfortably carry a bit more weight and take along some of the little luxuries which will make the trip more enjoyable and bearable...I can`t imagine carrying 3-4 more pounds will make that drastic of a difference physically,but those few little niceties will make all the difference to your mental well being daily
Sounds like good advice to me.http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Marty_Mcfly
02-09-2008, 22:13
Thats a really nice gearlist, my list is extremely similar. I would look into the golite umbrella, I purchased one and it's quite nice. I wish I had known about the birdiepal one's though, they're lighter and provide more coverage. Check them out over at prolite gear.com. I don't think that you need a poncho, umbrella, and wind shirt. I'm heading out in March and I"m only carrying a 2 oz wind shirt from Montane, and nylon wind pants, and a umbrella for my rain gear. If it gets bad enough I figur that I'll buy a cheap frog toggs jacket when I get to town.

Marty_Mcfly
02-09-2008, 22:24
On the whole ultralight note, I totally respect what she's doing. I have no long distance hiking experience but I know that I am going to try and carry as little as possible. Could it be that she realizes that luxury items won't enhance her experience, but possibly hinder them due to the load that they will have on her back. I think that people who go ultralight need fewer things to be happy in the wilderness. Every trip I've been on I go through my bag while in camp and look at all the **** I brought that I didn't need, all of which adds up. I think going ultralight is just logical. In the end it's all about your trip and your experience. If you want to carry 35 lbs good, if she wants to carry 10 lbs good. It's about whatever makes your wilderness experience happier, and easier.

Programbo
02-09-2008, 22:44
If you want to carry 35 lbs good, if she wants to carry 10 lbs good. It's about whatever makes your wilderness experience happier, and easier.......Could it be that she realizes that luxury items won't enhance her experience?

So you are saying go with the 35 pounds :D

When I said "luxuries" I wasn`t speaking in the literal sense..Just in the terms of what a normal hiker might carry to make their journey more comfortable as opposed to an ultra-light extremist

ScottP
02-10-2008, 03:28

The same 'research' exists with the same conclusions for nalgene bottles. At least one retailer has even pulled nalgenes because of said 'research.' Never trust anything that isn't in a peer-reviewed publication.

quasarr
02-10-2008, 22:23
Hello all,

I've been neglecting this thread because I was in bed with the flu for a few days! :( Hopefully I'm on the mend now.

no flames, I welcome everyone's opinion! :)

Do you have any items in particular you would recommend? In fact I have a confession, there's one thing I left off the list. I have a ukulele that I want to bring. Think it weighs about 20 oz. I figure if I don't use the uke I can always mail it home, it's not like I'd be the first hiker to do that!

As far as Light vs. Heavy, it can be more comfortable to go without things than to carry them. For example, an air matress vs. ridge rest. I've used both and I sleep perfectly comfy on the ridge rest. An air matress is nice, but carrying it all day is not! Also, the more weight you add the more weight you add ... extra stuff means you need a sturdier (heavier) pack, that pack will be bigger and tempting to fill with more stuff ... etc!

Thanks for the comments on rain gear, I'm ditching the poncho and I'm on the lookout for a wind shirt that'll be lighter than the nylon one I have now. And birdiepal looks great! If I end up going with an umbrella I'll get a birdiepal for sure.

quasarr
02-29-2008, 18:56
OK I just gotta bump this thread b/c I'm getting really excited!! I'm starting to get stuff in the mail!! Just got my backpack - I got a Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus rather than a Vapor Trail. I also got my down jacket, my Appalachian Pages guidebook, and some wool long johns.

Shakedown hike is in a few days and I can't wait to try all my stuff out!!! :sun:D:banana

I actually ordered 2 down jackets (montbell), a size M and an L. From montbell's sizing chart I seemed to be squarely in L but now that I tried both on I'm not so sure. The L is a bit baggy in the torso and I know that's not optimal for warmth. Can anybody help with how a down jacket is supposed to fit? I need to know which one to return!! thanks

mountain squid
02-29-2008, 19:38
Shakedown hike is in a few days and I can't wait to try all my stuff out!!!You've probably got it planned out already, but if not, suggest you head towards Neels Gap and hike in that area. The March Firsters will be arriving there in 4-5 days. You will be able to talk with them, as well as the staff at the outfitter, and get some good pointers about gear, etc. The staff will give you a pack shakedown if you wish.

Just a thought...Have Fun!!!!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

astrogirl
02-29-2008, 22:41
And I get hot easily while hiking and tend to sweat a lot, even if it's in the 40s and I'm wearing a t-shirt.

That's pretty much how it works for me. Once I was hiking to my car (so I wasn't concerned about getting warm again either), and it was misty and raining. This was near Bland, VA around Easter. I was just warm enough that I didn't need a jacket, just a hat.

I probably would have dressed the same way coming in to camp anyway, but I was going to my car, so...I got to the car and found out it was 37 (and raining, as I mentioned above).

While I'm moving, I can tolerate some low temperatures, and I generally use my rainwear as a shell over my fleece in camp. I find I stay pretty warm that way.

Blissful
02-29-2008, 22:41
I actually ordered 2 down jackets (montbell), a size M and an L. From montbell's sizing chart I seemed to be squarely in L but now that I tried both on I'm not so sure. The L is a bit baggy in the torso and I know that's not optimal for warmth. Can anybody help with how a down jacket is supposed to fit? I need to know which one to return!! thanks

My Montbell medium synthetic didn't fit me right until I lost weight. Now it fits great. I had gotten a men's though, since it was on sale. Not sure though about the down. How does the medium fit?

quasarr
02-29-2008, 23:00
good suggestion! I was planning to go to Shenandoah Park because the hiking is easy and I'm a bit out of shape. :p

but I was hoping to meet some thru hikers so Neel's Gap is a great idea!!

quasarr
02-29-2008, 23:09
oops, my reply was to mountainsquid I didn't realize there was a new page!

Blissful, the medium is just a bit tight across my shoulders. I figure I'll lose weight but that won't change width size of my shoulders much. Also the M is shorter, I feel like it might pull up easily and make my back cold. But it fits my torso nicely and snug, but not tight.

I worry that after losing weight and my waist shrinks the L will be huge!

Blissful
02-29-2008, 23:30
oops, my reply was to mountainsquid I didn't realize there was a new page!

Blissful, the medium is just a bit tight across my shoulders. I figure I'll lose weight but that won't change width size of my shoulders much. Also the M is shorter, I feel like it might pull up easily and make my back cold. But it fits my torso nicely and snug, but not tight.

I worry that after losing weight and my waist shrinks the L will be huge!

Well, you will use the down right off the bat. By the time you lose the weight that makes a difference with fit around the torso (though not certain how big you are), you will likely be in a different jacket that is not down. And you can lose weight in your shoulder area, esp your upper arms which makes a difference. So you may want to go with the large for now. My down jacket to start was a large (it was Sierra Designs)

quasarr
03-07-2008, 11:17
Shakedown results are in! :banana

Took it pretty easy. Me and my boyfriend went for a 4 day, 30 mile hike in Shenandoah. I brought my gear list, plus a couple extra layers just in case. Luckily I didn't need the extra stuff! It rained all day Tuesday, the other days were nice. One night was pretty cold, don't know the temp but the mud was frozen in the morning. Some things I learned ...

- I thought I was very clever to use a sharpie and mark my alcohol fuel bottle in 1oz increments. Then the first time I filled the bottle, I spilled some alcohol and it washed off my meticulous measurements! noooo :(

- Was very happy with how warm the quilt was. On the cold night I wore my down jacket to bed and ended up being too warm! I'm confident that with my down jacket the quilt would be comfy to 20 degrees.

- still up in the air about the umbrella. It was a hassle to maneuver it around brush. But I stayed pretty dry!

- loved the little sleeping pad compartment of the Mariposa Plus. I rolled up my ridgerest inside the pack, and cut a short piece of Walmart blue pad for the compartment. It's right on the outside of the pack, so I had a nice and easily accesible seat for breaks and around camp!

- the tarp stuffed inside a shirt was the best pillow I used. Unfortunately I can't do that when we slept under the tarp! :D I heard some people use half a water wing for a pillow, sounds like a good idea to me!

- Sure was glad I wasn't carrying my boyfriend's massive load! My pack was a delight to carry. I tried to convince him to put his stuff in a garbage bag liner like me, but he had absolute confidence in his rain cover. His stuff got wet!

Pics coming soon!

And I ended up going with the size M down jacket. A friend wanted to buy the L from me so it worked out good.