PDA

View Full Version : Bill Bryson - WARNING: May Be Considered Sacrilegious

bozzy
02-05-2008, 11:25
1st post here and most may disagree with me. I have read about Bill Bryson's book "A Walk In the Woods" on many hikers forums. I actually went to ebay and thought about ordering it for myself but happened to check it out at the local library yesterday because I couldn't wait. I'm not much of a reader, prob haven't read an entire book in 10+ yrs. I was so wrapped up in the book that I read 120 pages last night, couldn't put it down until he shattered my world. He went from Gatlinburg and hitched a ride to Roanoke??? Not hiking the entire trail is nothing to me but he skipped out on some of the most scenic views on the trail. Watagua lake, Damascus, Mt. Rogers, why?? He left me with a sour view of the folks in Gatlinburg and was expecting him to truly find the love of the hikers community in Damacus but he skipped out. I may be biased becuse I live not too far from the damascus area and visit often but don't think I can pick the book back up.

rafe
02-05-2008, 11:29
Welcome to WB, bozzy. You've just opened the biggest can of worms there is. Now sit back and enjoy the fun. ;)

mudhead
02-05-2008, 11:34
You will finish it.

Wouldn't be the first person that read it in chunks.

Miss Janet
02-05-2008, 11:44
But it is such an old, dry can of worms... it really doesn't even smell bad anymore...

Welcome Bozzy. Finish the book. It still has some funny parts. I have always said that this book makes "Thruhikers" mad because they feel he takes away from their own accomplishment in some way. It is just a book. He was just another person who for some reason got it in his mind to go take a long walk... and it wasn't what he thought it would be. Sounds like the hike story of about 80% of all who have ever tried to do the whole AT. But if every person out there hiking was more interested in their own experience and not about the "rules of Thruhiking" and about what OTHER people thought about what they are doing... I would see a lot more happy hikers!

Lone Wolf
it's just a book. hardly world shattering

wrongway_08
Bryson is hikers God, he can do no wrong - don't question his style, just copy it and you'll have a great hike. Try not to be so closed minded.

:p SIKE :p

Bryson has a cool book to read and the CD is a great way to kill time while driving but I dont consider him to be a "go-to" guy for real hiking/backpacking.

His book/CD is fun to read and you can learn what not to do from them. Good story teller. Thats about all.

Lone Wolf
02-05-2008, 11:48
I dont consider him to be a "go-to" guy for real hiking/backpacking.

i don't consider ANYBODY to be a "go-to" guy for real/hiking backpacking, on this site or in a book. it ain't rocket science

neighbor dave
02-05-2008, 11:49
:-?i though the book was a barrel of laughs. sounds like he was havin' a good time:-?

neighbor dave
02-05-2008, 11:51
But it is such an old, dry can of worms... it really doesn't even smell bad anymore...

Welcome Bozzy. Finish the book. It still has some funny parts. I have always said that this book makes "Thruhikers" mad because they feel he takes away from their own accomplishment in some way. It is just a book. He was just another person who for some reason got it in his mind to go take a long walk... and it wasn't what he thought it would be. Sounds like the hike story of about 80% of all who have ever tried to do the whole AT. But if every person out there hiking was more interested in their own experience and not about the "rules of Thruhiking" and about what OTHER people thought about what they are doing... I would see a lot more happy hikers!
yup!! well said. great read.

snowhoe
02-05-2008, 12:22
Bozzy welcome to whiteblaze and I to also have read the book along with the 1000s of others here. I think it is a good read but not really true life on the trail. He not only skiped most of the trail but he also missed alot of other things that make the trail so special. Like meeting all the cool people, instead of complaining about everything, he should have just went along with the experince. If you ever hike the trail or section hike while "in season" you will hear so many different things and rumors about the book. Like that Kats isnt a real guy. I dont know if he is or isnt. Also some pretty funny shirts. Like Bryson sucks. I was kinda surprised when I saw someone wearing it. Finsh the book its a good read but thats it.

bozzy
02-05-2008, 12:24
"it's just a book. hardly world shattering"

Maybe i did stretch it a little, mind you I'm not an avid reader. I was just so caught up in the book for the 100 or so pages and looking foward to the southern hospitality redemption in good ole Damascus and for him to give his depiction of places I've hiked through. I've read different trail journals over the past couple years and seemed to get a lot more out of them. Maybe I am a close-minded hillbilly. Thanks for warm hospitality so far.

taildragger
02-05-2008, 12:25
i don't consider ANYBODY to be a "go-to" guy for real/hiking backpacking, on this site or in a book. it ain't rocket science

One foot forward and repeat...thats pretty complicated to most people

Ramble~On
02-05-2008, 12:29
Excellent work of fiction. Made him a bunch of $$$
Happy am I to say it was bought for me not by me.
There are much better books about the AT and I still do not understand the hype about this one.

Mocs123
02-05-2008, 12:30
The first half of the book was much better than the second half.

Cannibal
02-05-2008, 12:34
bozzy- much like you I couldn't put the book down at first; laughed so hard my sides hurt. When I hit the chapter where he 'skipped' ahead I sort of lost interest. I picked it back up a week or so later and finished it, still laughing. Once I got over the disappointment of finding out he didn't 'thru' I found it fun to read again. Overall, a very entertaining read.

gold bond
02-05-2008, 12:35
Obviously he enjoyed writing mote than he did hilking....no problem with that! I thought it wuz what it wuz....an entertaining book about "his" hiking adventure!

fiddlehead
02-05-2008, 12:36
Yeah, if you read some of his other books, the guy makes a living being a cynic and putting down others. Not my idea of humor but some must like it.

Spirit Walker
02-05-2008, 12:39
I thought the first half of WITW was fun, the second half deadly dull. I've read other books of his and enjoyed them more (i.e. Australia). He is a humorous travel writer, not a thruhiker. I doubt he ever intended to be anything else.

Metaphor Man
02-05-2008, 12:43
Get the book from the library. It's funny and a good read. It is not a text. Some books can also motivate some in positive ways as this one might --tweeking one's interest to tempt exploration of the new and maybe learn something. -- Mike

Rain Man
02-05-2008, 12:46
Bryson surely hiked his own hike, yet some folks really get their panties in a wad because he did.

I've read the book perhaps half a dozen times. I read more than you do, I guess? It's my form of relaxation. I rolled on the floor laughing over some parts of it. Sometimes he poked fun at himself, sometimes are others.

The one thing that I had to ponder,-- to figure out what it was that bothered me,-- is that he spoke/speaks as an "authority" on the AT, though he did not hike it all. I can see in his comments (in the book and interviews he's done) that he has formed ill-informed opinions, because he experienced only a fraction of the whole, yet tries to comment on the whole. That doesn't always work very well. Other than that glaring weakness, he did a great job as a travel writer, if not the job others wish he'd done.

Don't fret, you haven't come CLOSE to opening the biggest can of worms on WhiteBlaze. Just post about shooting an unleashed dog with a concealed weapon, while chatting on a cell phone and failing to genuflect to a Marine handing out beer to Boy Scouts hogging a shelter. LOL Talk about panties in a wad!!!!! ~wink~

Welcome to WhiteBlaze and make yourself comfortable. Lots of folks here are helpful and friendly.

Rain:sunMan

jersey joe
02-05-2008, 12:52
It was an humorous, entertaining book that appeals to the general public.
A general public that doesn't have the insight that we 2000 milers have.
Sure he wussed out and didn't see some of the great parts of the trail, but him being such a wuss added to the humor of the book.

Mags
02-05-2008, 13:04
Good airport read. Not too deep. Enjoyable fluff.

Funny how it gets so much controversy in our little community.

dessertrat
02-05-2008, 13:07
One foot forward and repeat...thats pretty complicated to most people

Yeah, but it hurts and it makes me tired. How do I fix that?;)

snowhoe
02-05-2008, 13:09
rain man dont forget to make fun of all the homemade shelters and alchol stoves if you want to get peoples panties in a wad.

Ramble~On
02-05-2008, 13:16
Just post about shooting an unleashed dog with a concealed weapon, while chatting on a cell phone and failing to genuflect to a Marine handing out beer to Boy Scouts hogging a shelter.

:-? Sounds like your average everyday Walk in the Woods.

taildragger
02-05-2008, 13:19
Yeah, but it hurts and it makes me tired. How do I fix that?;)

Obviously you are carrying too few creature comforts. I suggest packing a massage therapist (preferably one that is a looker). And maybe a dutch oven so your massage therapist can bake some cobblers for you on the trail (if you're gonna carry her she needs to have at least double usage). You might want a camp couch as well, preferably one with a reclining seat.

Jim Adams
02-05-2008, 13:26
Don't fret, you haven't come CLOSE to opening the biggest can of worms on WhiteBlaze. Just post about shooting an unleashed dog with a concealed weapon, while chatting on a cell phone and failing to genuflect to a Marine handing out beer to Boy Scouts hogging a shelter. LOL Talk about panties in a wad!!!!! ~

now that's funny!!!!:D

geek

Metaphor Man
02-05-2008, 13:29
Obviously you are carrying too few creature comforts. I suggest packing a massage therapist (preferably one that is a looker). And maybe a dutch oven so your massage therapist can bake some cobblers for you on the trail (if you're gonna carry her she needs to have at least double usage). You might want a camp couch as well, preferably one with a reclining seat.

OK I'm in for one: the fix is in the head not the feet.

Metaphor Man
02-05-2008, 13:42
But sometimes you have to fix the feet to fix the head.
(Clearly too much caffiene for me--must go buy hiking supplies)

bigmac_in
02-05-2008, 13:52
This smells like the same old Bill Bryson thread - is anyone else bored of seeing this over, and over, and over, and over? Qucik somebody start an original thread - or let's at least go dumpster diving with Lone Wolf...

Chi gti guy
02-05-2008, 14:09
So, do people actually help new members in the forumns, or just trash them right @ the start? I am new, so I would like it if someone can give me any ideas for hiking "the at trail"?

Lone Wolf
02-05-2008, 14:21
So, do people actually help new members in the forumns, or just trash them right @ the start? I am new, so I would like it if someone can give me any ideas for hiking "the at trail"?

sure, if the questions are about the trail. what ideas are you looking for?

d'shadow
02-05-2008, 14:39

Hi, welcome. If you are only interested in hiking related issues,go to the forums page and see the list of hiking related issues. You will find everything you need to know to day hike, section hike, or thruhike.
And there are many experienced hikers here to help you prepare.
With all due respect, please, lighten up;) the general forums are just people cutting loose with each other. We are all adults. Some throw the hard ball and receive it back. It is all in good fun. Please enjoy.:)

The Solemates
02-05-2008, 15:46
You will finish it.

Wouldn't be the first person that read it in chunks.

I never finished it.

bigmac_in
02-05-2008, 16:52
Hi, welcome. If you are only interested in hiking related issues,go to the forums page and see the list of hiking related issues. You will find everything you need to know to day hike, section hike, or thruhike.
And there are many experienced hikers here to help you prepare.
With all due respect, please, lighten up;) the general forums are just people cutting loose with each other. We are all adults. Some throw the hard ball and receive it back. It is all in good fun. Please enjoy.:)

Well put d'shadow - you're not going to get much information about hiking the AT in a thread titled "Bill Bryson - WARNING: May Be Considered Sacrilegious ".

This site is loaded with helpful information, but don't look for an "expert" here - there's too many of them....:D:D:D.

Terry7
02-05-2008, 17:17
"it's just a book. hardly world shattering"

Maybe i did stretch it a little, mind you I'm not an avid reader. I was just so caught up in the book for the 100 or so pages and looking foward to the southern hospitality redemption in good ole Damascus and for him to give his depiction of places I've hiked through. I've read different trail journals over the past couple years and seemed to get a lot more out of them. Maybe I am a close-minded hillbilly. Thanks for warm hospitality so far.
Welcome bozzy, I thought the same as you. Most of the stuff was just made up,trying to be funny. You should stop by and see us sometime. Lets all hope the movie is better than the book.

Lilred
02-05-2008, 18:58
welcome bozzy and Chi gti guy,

If you want to read a really good book about a thru hike, pick up "Walking on the Happy Side of Misery"

camojack
02-05-2008, 19:07
"It's just a trail." :D

Del Q
02-05-2008, 21:50
To me, after all of the other books on the AT & Backpacking I have read, I found this one to be a well written, humorous spin on a subject everyone on this website is in love with. Hey, he hiked a lot of the trail and now a movie is coming with great actors. With the negs should come a lot more $$$ to the organizations that protect "our" trail.

Overall a plus I say.

mystic
02-05-2008, 22:07
One of the funniest quotes from the book was when they were at Shaw's.

Sitting at dinner with a male/female couple of thru-hikers:

"So you've nearly done it, huh?" I said, a trifle inanely but just trying to make conversation.

"Yes," said the girl. She said it slowly, as two syllables, as if it hadn't previously occurred to her. There was something serenely mindless in her manner.

"Did you ever feel like giving up?"

The girl thought for a moment. "No," she said simply.

"Really?" I found this amazing. "Did you never think, 'Jeez, this is too much. I don't know that I want to go through with this'?"

She thought again, with an air of encroaching panic. These were obviously questions that had never penetrated her skull.

Her partner came to her rescue. "We had a couple of low moments in the early phases," he said, "but we put our faith in the Lord and His will prevailed."

"Praise Jesus," whispered the girl, almost inaudibly.

"Ah," I said, and made a mental note to lock my door when I went to bed.

"And God bless Allah for the mashed potatoes!" said Katz happily and reach for the bowl for the third time.

rafe
02-05-2008, 22:11
That scene at Shaws is priceless.

CaseyB
02-05-2008, 22:12
1st post here and most may disagree with me. I have read about Bill Bryson's book "A Walk In the Woods" on many hikers forums. I actually went to ebay and thought about ordering it for myself but happened to check it out at the local library yesterday because I couldn't wait. I'm not much of a reader, prob haven't read an entire book in 10+ yrs. I was so wrapped up in the book that I read 120 pages last night, couldn't put it down until he shattered my world. He went from Gatlinburg and hitched a ride to Roanoke??? Not hiking the entire trail is nothing to me but he skipped out on some of the most scenic views on the trail. Watagua lake, Damascus, Mt. Rogers, why?? He left me with a sour view of the folks in Gatlinburg and was expecting him to truly find the love of the hikers community in Damacus but he skipped out. I may be biased becuse I live not too far from the damascus area and visit often but don't think I can pick the book back up.

Howdy bozzy from Haysi. :sun Check out Awol's book or Model-T's. Have not read it yet but Jan Liteshoe's comes highly recommended. You might also enjoy some thru-hike movies. Trek is my favorite so far but I have not seen them all.

bozzy
02-06-2008, 11:53
Sounds like this has been a dead horse topic in the past and due to my newbie status, drudged it back up. Anyways looks like it is debatable, thanks all for the responses and warm welcome to your community. Hey CaseyB and Terry7, headed to Damascus this Saton way to J.C, Tenn for some shopping w/wife. Does any of the outfiter stores thier have the DVD "Trek" or "2000 miles to Maine"? I'll be looking at the books you mentioned as well. thanks

Lone Wolf
02-06-2008, 12:02
i'm pretty sure Sundog and MRO have the dvds

gold bond
02-06-2008, 12:30
welcome bozzy and Chi gti guy,

If you want to read a really good book about a thru hike, pick up "Walking on the Happy Side of Misery"

Now thats whay I'm talkin' 'bout...thats a funny book! As well he is a great guy to talk to. Great read!!

Jim Obermeyer
02-06-2008, 12:30
I have the audio book on cassett with Bryson reading. I enjoyed it. The only part that pissed me off was when they were in some town in Maine and Katz wanted some money for beer and Bryson wouldn't give it to him. When I hear Bryson's reading this part saying "you know Stephen your not suppose to be drinking" I feel like thumping him!

gold bond
02-06-2008, 12:32
Howdy bozzy from Haysi. :sun Check out Awol's book or Model-T's. Have not read it yet but Jan Liteshoe's comes highly recommended. You might also enjoy some thru-hike movies. Trek is my favorite so far but I have not seen them all.

I have read all of them and everyone of them are good reads. I'm looking forward to some day meeting David and Jan!

rafe
02-06-2008, 12:38
I have the audio book on cassett with Bryson reading. I enjoyed it. The only part that pissed me off was when they were in some town in Maine and Katz wanted some money for beer and Bryson wouldn't give it to him. When I hear Bryson's reading this part saying "you know Stephen your not suppose to be drinking" I feel like thumping him!

??? I don't see your point. Katz had a history of alcoholism and before that, drug abuse. Bryson was right to be annoyed with Katz at that point. No matter, the story ends just a couple of days after that incident, after a supremely foolish move by Katz in the Maine woods.

dessertrat
02-06-2008, 12:43

Why? Stephen is an admitted alcoholic who shouldn't be drinking.

Jim Obermeyer
02-06-2008, 14:45
??? I don't see your point. Katz had a history of alcoholism and before that, drug abuse. Bryson was right to be annoyed with Katz at that point. No matter, the story ends just a couple of days after that incident, after a supremely foolish move by Katz in the Maine woods.

Do you think Katz surpremely foolish move was a result of the couple of beers he had? I think Bryson should of had a few with Katz, maybe they would of gotten along better.

Jim Obermeyer
02-06-2008, 14:50
Why? Stephen is an admitted alcoholic who shouldn't be drinking.

And he admitted to already drinking a few beers before he asked Bryson for the more money. He wasn't laying in the gutter drunk or nothing, he just wanted a beer buzz.

rafe
02-06-2008, 14:51
Do you think Katz surpremely foolish move was a result of the couple of beers he had? I think Bryson should of had a few with Katz, maybe they would of gotten along better.

I don't know if alcohol was the cause of Katz' dumb move in the 100-mile. Katz never was the sharpest knife in the drawer. Katz simply panicked and left the trail in search of water.

As for the tension between Bryson and Katz, well, that's an essential part of the story, and what makes them both human. They have their good days and their bad days -- like any "couple" that spends a long time in close proximity. FWIW, there's more of that in a very early Bryson book, where he and Katz are traveling thru Europe. I've seen the same dynamic many times among other thru-hiking couples and other habitual travelers.

CaseyB
02-06-2008, 17:45
Sounds like this has been a dead horse topic in the past and due to my newbie status, drudged it back up. Anyways looks like it is debatable, thanks all for the responses and warm welcome to your community. Hey CaseyB and Terry7, headed to Damascus this Saton way to J.C, Tenn for some shopping w/wife. Does any of the outfiter stores thier have the DVD "Trek" or "2000 miles to Maine"? I'll be looking at the books you mentioned as well. thanks
No Trek at Sundog or MRO. Lion King's movie is at Sundog, haven't seen that one & going to pick it up now. I'll leave it for you if it's their last copy.

warraghiyagey
02-07-2008, 02:17
:welcome:welcome:sun

Jim Obermeyer
02-07-2008, 05:00
I don't know if alcohol was the cause of Katz' dumb move in the 100-mile. Katz never was the sharpest knife in the drawer. Katz simply panicked and left the trail in search of water.

As for the tension between Bryson and Katz, well, that's an essential part of the story, and what makes them both human. They have their good days and their bad days -- like any "couple" that spends a long time in close proximity. FWIW, there's more of that in a very early Bryson book, where he and Katz are traveling thru Europe. I've seen the same dynamic many times among other thru-hiking couples and other habitual travelers.

Another book I enjoyed by Bryson was " A Short History of Nearly Everything"
He shed's a lot of light on scientists throughout history and the scientific community. :cool:

rafe
02-07-2008, 09:53
Another book I enjoyed by Bryson was " A Short History of Nearly Everything"
He shed's a lot of light on scientists throughout history and the scientific community. :cool:

Bryson's obviously a smart man and a gifted writer. I happen to enjoy the snarky tone of his writing, but I can understand that some folks might object.

I find a lot to identify with... he's got this love-hate thing with his native country, parents from "elsewhere," travels a lot, tried (and failed) at a thru-hike in middle age. Even his trip thru Europe with Katz -- I did a very similar trip, and at about the same time. Maybe it's a generational thing.

Bryson's got at least three or four decent non-fiction books at this point. All worth reading.

10-K
02-13-2008, 16:43
I thought the first half of WITW was fun, the second half deadly dull. I've read other books of his and enjoyed them more (i.e. Australia). He is a humorous travel writer, not a thruhiker. I doubt he ever intended to be anything else.

His book, "A Brief History of Almost Everything" is great. "Walk in the Woods" was too long. Then again, a lot of books don't know when to quit - hardly something unique to Bryson.

Tb

dragonfeet
02-14-2008, 01:04
I read it twice once about a year ago and again recently. Good book, funny but it defintly dosen't warant this much attention.

Dogwood
02-14-2008, 03:45
"A Walk In The Woods" is a book of fiction with factual names, people, places, and events. It is NOT a totally accurate detailed documentary! It contains items in it that helps sell books. I would place Bryson's book in the same category as the movie "The DaVinci Code" or the TV show "COPS". They ALL contain items in them we can politely label asl "embellishments".

Blue Jay
02-14-2008, 04:10
"A Walk In The Woods" is a book of fiction with factual names, people, places, and events. It is NOT a totally accurate detailed documentary! It contains items in it that helps sell books. I would place Bryson's book in the same category as the movie "The DaVinci Code" or the TV show "COPS". They ALL contain items in them we can politely label asl "embellishments".

Actually I've always though Katz was a fictional. Anyone know how much Bill donated to any of the clubs or organizations that support the AT?

Lone Wolf
02-14-2008, 07:20
who knows or who cares?

StarLyte
02-14-2008, 07:27
Actually I've always though Katz was a fictional. Anyone know how much Bill donated to any of the clubs or organizations that support the AT?

oh man now the real war begins.

baaaaad kwestion bad

Lone Wolf
02-14-2008, 07:31
oh man now the real war begins.

baaaaad kwestion bad

no it ain't. it's nobody's friggin business

Blue Jay
02-14-2008, 07:31
who knows or who cares?

Weeeellll, he did make several million dollars directly from the AT. Did he give back a dollar, 10 cents? I'm not saying he had to give back anything, but did he?

Lone Wolf
02-14-2008, 07:41
Weeeellll, he did make several million dollars directly from the AT. Did he give back a dollar, 10 cents? I'm not saying he had to give back anything, but did he?

how much do you give to whiteblaze?

NICKTHEGREEK
02-14-2008, 07:42
In his latest book The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid!

http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/covers/978-0-7679-1937-1.gif (http://www.randomhouse.com/features/billbryson/bb_title/display.pperl?isbn=978-0-7679-1937-1)

Bryson states that Katz is a real person but not his real name. I enjoyed it btw.

aaroniguana
02-14-2008, 07:51

I've been considering it... can one of you cash my disability check? :)

Blue Jay
02-14-2008, 07:56

I have not made a penny from Whiteblaze, nor do I ever expect to do so. Are you disputing his profit margin? I saw an interview with Mr. B years ago where he was asked my question. Your reaction is almost the same as his. He got angry and ended the interview. My assumption is the answer is less than 10 cents. Many people have praised Mr. B and I also like his book, however people should know where he stands. Since he is not American I also don't think he ever even paid a thin dime in taxes on the book. The copy I read was printed in England. I could be wrong, I'm just asking.

Fannypack
02-14-2008, 08:01
I realize u just asked a question and i don't know the answer but I ask this question:
do u ask if any of the other AT, PCT, CDT hikers who wrote books gave money to the associations for these trails?

As it was said by TOF at Dartmouth at an Aldha gathering, around 2000, maybe 2001, speaking to Warren Doyle & others "you are just mad cause he (Bryson) made some money off the trail"...(OF, pls correct me on this quote if I am mistaken.)

Bryson is a writer who hiked part of the AT and wrote a book that made money. Katz is a real person (but not real name). The reason I know this is because i met them at Rainbow Springs bunkhouse in 1996 and spoke with them again in Franklin while waiting out the snowstorm of March 19 (maybe 18th)....

Have a great day.

Blue Jay
02-14-2008, 08:26
As it was said by TOF at Dartmouth at an Aldha gathering, around 2000, maybe 2001, speaking to Warren Doyle & others "you are just mad cause he (Bryson) made some money off the trail"...(OF, pls correct me on this quote if I am mistaken.)

Bryson is a writer who hiked part of the AT and wrote a book that made money.

Not only am I not mad that he made money, I'm not really mad he gave not 0.00000000000000000000000000000% of the millions back. I know several authors who published books about the trail, more power to them. I don't know how much they made but I bet it's around 0.000000000000000000001% of what Mr. B made. My point is he is simply THE carpet bagger of the AT, that's all. Hell, even Lone Wolf's oil companies give some of the money back in grants and taxes.

Lone Wolf
02-14-2008, 08:28
W T F are you asking here if the guy gave? call the ATC and ask.

rafe
02-14-2008, 08:38
I've heard this charge before. Not sure what to make of it. First off, I'm not sure why Bryson is morally obligated to share his profits and good fortune with the ATC or any other trail organization. Second, I'm not sure the charge is true. Third, I know that he has contributed significantly (both time and $$) to similar worthy causes in England, where he now lives. It seems to me that some folks are simply looking for reasons to dislike the man.

That said... if I knew the charge was true, it would be disappointing. But I haven't cared enough to try to prove or disprove it. What other famous author/writer/actor/actress (etc.) is held to a similar standard?

rafe
02-14-2008, 08:40
Actually I've always though Katz was a fictional.

That "thought" can only be based on ignorance. Katz appears in other books by Bryson (both before and after AWITW) and Bryson has spoken of him in interviews.

rafe
02-14-2008, 08:47
Since he is not American I also don't think he ever even paid a thin dime in taxes on the book. The copy I read was printed in England. I could be wrong, I'm just asking.

Bryson was born in Iowa and grew up there. His mother was British, and I believe his dad was American. The story of his life in Iowa is told in his latest book, Thunderbolt Kid. Katz was a childhood friend from Iowa.

He traveled in Europe in his early twenties (with Katz, the story of which is another one of his books.) After those travels he moved to England and worked there 'till his early 40s. From there he moved to Hanover, which is where he discovered the AT, and where he lived when he wrote the book. He moved back to England a few years ago, around 2005 or so, and is currently chancellor of some university there. (A mostly honorary position, it would seem.)

AngloDreamer
02-14-2008, 09:23
He moved back to England a few years ago, around 2005 or so, and is currently chancellor of some university there. (A mostly honorary position, it would seem.)[/quote]

Durham University succeeding the late Peter Ustinov.

http://www.number10.gov.uk/output/Page10510.asp

Wilson
02-14-2008, 09:41

Please, Who's TOF?

rafe
02-14-2008, 09:43
TOF = The Old Phart, a long-standing member of WhiteBlaze.

Lone Wolf
02-14-2008, 09:44
TOF = The Old Phart, a long-standing member of WhiteBlaze.

Fhart..

Programbo
02-15-2008, 20:03
One of the funniest quotes from the book was when they were at Shaw's....Sitting at dinner with a male/female couple of thru-hikers:

That`s one of the funniest quotes?????..Gwad..Thanks for the warning :confused:

rafe
02-15-2008, 22:08
That`s one of the funniest quotes?????..Gwad..Thanks for the warning :confused:

The books been out for what... at least ten years now? I guess you're in no danger, if you haven't read it by now. :rolleyes:

bessiebreeze
02-15-2008, 23:07
The book is a good read - Bryson is a good author - most of the time.

HOWEVER - REMEMBER - WALK IN THE WOODS IS FICTION!!!! FICTION!!!

FICTION MEANING NOT TRUE - ONLY THE AUTHOR'S IMAGINATION!!!!!!!

bustedchucks
02-17-2008, 14:51
The scene where Katz is making his ascent of the bunk bed is hilarious.

Also, this:

"...at some pont on each walk there comes a moment when I look up and notice, with a kind of first-time astonishment, the amazing complex delicacy of the woods, the causual ease with which elemental things come together to form a compisitoin that is - whatever the season, wherever I put my besotted gaze - perfect. Not just very fine or splendid, but perfect, unimprovable."

I'm sure the above passage rings true for everyone on this site. And whether he hike two miles or two thousand, Bill Bryson "gets it".

dessertrat
02-17-2008, 14:52
The scene where Katz is making his ascent of the bunk bed is hilarious.

Also, this:

"...at some pont on each walk there comes a moment when I look up and notice, with a kind of first-time astonishment, the amazing complex delicacy of the woods, the causual ease with which elemental things come together to form a compisitoin that is - whatever the season, wherever I put my besotted gaze - perfect. Not just very fine or splendid, but perfect, unimprovable."

I'm sure the above passage rings true for everyone on this site. And whether he hike two miles or two thousand, Bill Bryson "gets it".

Yes, I have a feeling that, despite the fact that he has far fewer miles, Bryson and Colin Fletcher took the same thing out of hiking, and it is the same something most of us also take from it, although we lack the literary skill to describe it.