PDA

View Full Version : Staying Dry

Navi-Gator
02-05-2008, 14:56
New to the site and I have a quick, possibly crazy, question. I'm looking at the HH Exped as an alternative to shelter/tent camping. For all the years I've been camping/backpacking I have never slept well on the ground!!! When looking at the tarp on the setup, it doesnt look like it would keep rain out real well (ie. too small). The ENO DryFly looks more substantial in size but it weighs over four pounds for the setup. Am I being crazy? Any experiences. Thanks.

Navi-Gator
02-05-2008, 14:59
As a followup, I have an older Moss (MSR now I guess) Heptawing Tarp that I have used in the past. Its under 2 lbs if you leave the poles at home. Would I be better buying a hammock separately and using it?

hopefulhiker
02-05-2008, 15:03
Look at the Cat tarps, also I got a Campmore 8X10 tarp for about 70 bucks or so... It provides a little more coverage.. Check out the hammock threads here on WB... Some say the tarp that comes with the hammock is sufficient if set up right... The problem with hammocks I think is the cold... But then I am a tenter....

take-a-knee
02-05-2008, 16:26
I have a Maccat Deluxe:

http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/why_maccat.htm

For more info on tarps and general hammock camping check out hammockforums.

Cannibal
02-05-2008, 17:03
The ENO DryFly looks more substantial in size but it weighs over four pounds for the setup. Am I being crazy? Any experiences. Thanks.

While I've never used the ENO DryFly, the people I've talked to about it generally say the exact opposite. Weird, huh?

The HH fly works just fine when you're in the hammock. Anything else and it's useless, or nearly. The MacCats are grrrreat and give plenty of 'cooking' coverage.

hopefulhiker is right and wrong. Cold isn't a problem with knowledge and practice. That said, I'd never suggest someone learn hammocking skills with a winter trip. It takes some practice to find what works for you and what doesn't. I've been in -8F temps and slept like a baby in my hammock with less than 6 pounds of hammock-tarp-quilt stuff. Getting out in the morning was the worst part!

double d
02-05-2008, 17:06
Take a look at campmor's poncho, its very big and the price is only around $30.00. That might help you, although I think a well made and lightweight hammock might be what your looking for.

FanaticFringer
02-05-2008, 18:18
The Hennessy tarp can be compared to hammock floss.:D
Leaves little room for error in bad weather.
Do check out www.hammockforums.net
Go here first for some good hammock bootcamp.
Good comparisons of the popular tarps us hammockers use.
www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html

River Runner
02-07-2008, 18:14
I have not had any problem staying dry with my standard Hennessy tarp. If I want more room if I anticipate really bad weather, I just take the Hennessy Hex tarp. In fact, I took it as an extra on one trip & we used it for a group of about six to cook under.

Seeker
02-07-2008, 19:19
i'm one of 'those' who prefer the smaller stock tarp... i'm usually alone, and can comfortably cook under it even in the rain. site selection is critical. but even if there's a stiff blowing wind, if you're deep enough in a thicket, you can spread that little tarp wide and get good coverage. the trees stop the rain and it drips straight down on you, wind or no wind...

but when i'm with at least one other, i tend to bring my larger home-made 8 x 10 tarp... weighs almost triple, but it makes it easier to cook for 2, play cards, visit, or whatever.

the HH stock fly (older. newer one is a little bigger) is 7 oz.
my homemade 8 x 10 silnylon, with tieouts, is about 20 oz.

-campmor sells an 8 x 10 for about $60, and i think it's about 20 oz too.
-maccat has 3 sizes, all good, all light (but expensive, as is often the case with good gear) that are perfect for hammocking.
-integral designs has a ponco/tarp i've heard works, but it seems a little short in the diagonal for me (i like 11 feet, and it's closer to 10).
-you can also get them custom sewn. i'm still trying to save up for a custom poncho/tarp like SGT Rock's. moonbow was the company. very quick response to some pretty detailed requests about size and color.

bigcranky
02-07-2008, 21:16
You can get a larger sil-nylon Hex fly with your Hennessey Hammock for an additional price. Or you can buy a separate tarp like the Maccat or the JRB version.

1stoffoot
02-08-2008, 19:02
check out my link here, I had the same problem

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3063

greggg3
02-09-2008, 07:53
The HH fly works just fine when you're in the hammock. Anything else and it's useless, or nearly. The MacCats are grrrreat and give plenty of 'cooking' coverage.

I agree Cannibal. I have an UL Explorer and the stock sil nylone tarp has always kept me dry - rain, snow, etc. but it just covers the hammock. If you're concerned about weight, I think it is the lightest solution possible for a weather proof shelter for the hammock.

I find that it works best (from a weather protection standpoint) to attach the stock tarp to the hammock suspension as recommended by Hennessey. This does let it lose a little tension when you get in and it sags down, but it assures the best coverage, in my opinion.

If you tie the tarp directly to the trees, I agree it stays taught, and you can put up/take down the hammock under the shelter of the tarp but it is much easier to let the ends get wet. When you get in the hammock, it sags down away from the tarp, and if you don't have the tarp perfectly centered over the hammock, you can get rain, spray on the end of the hammock that can wick in and get you wet.

When the tarp is hooked to the hammock suspension line, it moves with the hammock, so at the ends the tarp stays snug over the ends of the hammock. I've never had any trouble staying dry when I attach the tarp directly to the hammock suspension rope.

However as you say, if its raining and you don't want to stay in the hammock, you're pretty much SOL. So I also have a McCat Delux and a Speer Winter tarp which are much better for those situations where its raining and you're going to spend time at camp outside the hammock.

If I anticipate long days hiking and want to minimize weight - so this is the kind of hiking where I stop and have supper then go a few more miles before I stop for the night - I go back to the stock tarp.

Just my opinion. I know others report miserable nights where they got wet with the stock tarp, so take it with a grain of salt, and test at home first.

BillyBob58
02-09-2008, 12:36
I agree Cannibal. I have an UL Explorer and the stock sil nylone tarp has always kept me dry - rain, snow, etc. but it just covers the hammock. If you're concerned about weight, I think it is the lightest solution possible for a weather proof shelter for the hammock.

I find that it works best (from a weather protection standpoint) to attach the stock tarp to the hammock suspension as recommended by Hennessey. This does let it lose a little tension when you get in and it sags down, but it assures the best coverage, in my opinion.

If you tie the tarp directly to the trees, I agree it stays taught, and you can put up/take down the hammock under the shelter of the tarp but it is much easier to let the ends get wet. When you get in the hammock, it sags down away from the tarp, and if you don't have the tarp perfectly centered over the hammock, you can get rain, spray on the end of the hammock that can wick in and get you wet.

When the tarp is hooked to the hammock suspension line, it moves with the hammock, so at the ends the tarp stays snug over the ends of the hammock. I've never had any trouble staying dry when I attach the tarp directly to the hammock suspension rope.

However as you say, if its raining and you don't want to stay in the hammock, you're pretty much SOL. So I also have a McCat Delux and a Speer Winter tarp which are much better for those situations where its raining and you're going to spend time at camp outside the hammock.

If I anticipate long days hiking and want to minimize weight - so this is the kind of hiking where I stop and have supper then go a few more miles before I stop for the night - I go back to the stock tarp.

Just my opinion. I know others report miserable nights where they got wet with the stock tarp, so take it with a grain of salt, and test at home first.

This has been exactly my experience. A tarp tied to trees is a much tighter, wind resistant tarp after you are in the hammock. But I don't think tarps that are even a fair amount larger provide rain protection as good as the stock ( or a larger non -stock ) tarp tied to the HH suspension. It can be a pain dealing with the loose tarp that results from the standard HH set up. And there are tricks that help with this problem, but not completely. But you always stay much closer to the tarp "ridge-line" which is where most of the rain protection is, when the tarp is connected to the suspension, so that hammock and tarp sag together. In my experience, anyway.

bigcranky
02-09-2008, 15:20
The trick for the stock tarp is to use some thin, light elastic cord, like you'd find on the front of a pack for attaching gear. Very light bungee cord.

Set up the Hammock and the stock fly as usual. Tie the bungee cord in a loop, then attach one end to the hammock support rope outside the stock fly attachment. Use a prusik knot or a girth hitch with an extra turn. (Copy the hitch on the stock fly attachment.) Use a mini-biner on the other end, and attach to the plastic O-ring on the fly, right next to the plastic clip from the stock fly attachment. Pull the bungee cord tight, out away from the hammock body.

Do this on both sides. When you get in the hammock, your weight will shorten the ridgeline and loosen the fly. The bungee cord will take up the slack and keep the fly tight. Well, more tight than otherwise.

You can simply replace the stock fly attachment, but I kept mine attached as extra security in case the bungee cord breaks under the strain.

I do agree that the stock fly is pretty good for protecting the hammock in bad weather. Though I did get pretty wet one very cold April night when the wind was coming around the side of Whitetop and blowing freezing rain up under the fly. A Maccat Deluxe is on my wish list.

RobertM
03-03-2008, 12:46
One option to consider, at least for smaller HH's such as the UL Backpacker, is to call Hennessy for your order & ask to upgrade the tarp to the UL Explorer tarp. I did that a while back & if I remember correctly it was just $10 extra. Or you can always delete the tarp altogether & put the difference towards a MacCat or something. Here's a pic for an indication of coverage with the Explorer tarp on a Backpacker:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=22675&c=577

Stayed bone dry in blowing rain the night before this pic was taken (at a different campsite). Pack & boots were just directly under the hammock & stayed completely dry also. I was pleasantly surprised. As for cooking space, my poncho became the community tarp for that, so can't comment on the larger HH tarp except to say it still wouldn't have been much.

RadioFreq
03-03-2008, 13:13
The first time I took a HH out for a week of backpacking I spent one night in
a torrential downpour. I still had the original HH rainfly. I, too, was very
worried about getting wet, but it kept me nice and dry. I did have drip
strings on each end.

That being said I have switched to a MacCat because of the additional
space provided for cooking, dressing, etc.

bredler
03-03-2008, 17:07
I would reccomend a bigger tarp. I just got my speer winter tarp and it's awesome. Right at 17oz (an ounce more than they advertise) it's a little heavy for a tarp, but not for the size. You have protection no matter what.

Monkeyboy
03-05-2008, 16:37
I just got the HH Expedition for Christmas....

I don't know if they screwed up, or were just giving them away, but mine came with the standard hammock tarp and the new hexagonal tarp.

I put both on, and the first time out using it, it rained. No worries.

astrogirl
04-01-2008, 22:32
The first time I took a HH out for a week of backpacking I spent one night in
a torrential downpour. I still had the original HH rainfly. I, too, was very
worried about getting wet, but it kept me nice and dry. I did have drip
strings on each end.

What's a drip string?

Seeker
04-02-2008, 08:50
essentially it keeps water out of your hammock.

rain hits the tree you're tied to and runs down the bark. it comes to the webbing and soaks into it... by capillary action, it moves along the webbing to the actual tie-out line, under your tarp, then down it to your hammock. it then can soak into the hammock and get you wet. a drip string is something you tie to the tieout line between the webbing and the edge of the tarp. gravity pulls the rainwater down along it, and it drips off the end, prior to getting under your tarp and into your hammock, thus keeping you dry. it has to be raining buckets for this to happen, but it does, and when it does, it's miserable. unless you have the drip strings.

whitefoot_hp
04-02-2008, 15:23
silnylon tarp is need to be light and dry. 8 x 10 minimum if you want broad coverage.
Eno dry fly is neither light nor good as far as coverage. look at mac cat. possibly make a homemade tarp, etc. i heard that newer henny tarps give more coverage than the old ones.

whitefoot_hp
04-02-2008, 15:24
I just got the HH Expedition for Christmas....

I don't know if they screwed up, or were just giving them away, but mine came with the standard hammock tarp and the new hexagonal tarp.

I put both on, and the first time out using it, it rained. No worries.
where did you use it at?