PDA

View Full Version : mid-March shelter volume

scope
02-05-2008, 17:56
Thinking of doing an overnite at one of the shelters in Ga around the 15th of March. Is that still pretty early in terms of crowds at the shelters? Note - would be Woods Hole or further north, not near Springer where I know its likely to be crowded.

Ender
02-05-2008, 18:11
in 1998 I started my hike on March 20th, and shelters were full every night. Not sure about 5 days earlier (and 10 years later), but I can't imagine that it would be much different.

rafe
02-05-2008, 18:19
Probably intense. Mid-March is peak thru-hike-starting season these days, from what I gather.

Kirby
02-05-2008, 18:21
That is a Saturday this year.

Kirby

snowhoe
02-05-2008, 18:27
I started on march 14th and the shelters were stuffed everynight. The shelter journals had alot of entrys in them from the people in front of me. Just take your tent. Its better that way.

Kirby
02-05-2008, 18:29
Take your tent either way, shelters are mice infested wood boxes that are pretty useless.

Kirby

Appalachian Tater
02-05-2008, 18:31
Even tenting space might be in short supply. If you are looking for solitude, that is not a good time & place.

Pedaling Fool
02-05-2008, 18:37
When you wake up in the morning, eat and start walking and do your "business" off the trail somewhere, unless you don't mind standing in a long privy line and have others waiting for you to do your "buisness". That's how the shelters will be in mid-March.

rafe
02-05-2008, 18:40
Take your tent either way, shelters are mice infested wood boxes that are pretty useless.

Spoken like a bona-fide WB anti-shelter zealot. I presume you'll walk right by, when it's pouring rain and 35 degrees out, the trail is a raging stream, and you've been sloshing through mud up to your ankles all day. :D

Kirby
02-05-2008, 18:47
Spoken like a bona-fide WB anti-shelter zealot. I presume you'll walk right by, when it's pouring rain and 35 degrees out, the trail is a raging stream, and you've been sloshing through mud up to your ankles all day. :D

I'll put my stuff in the shelter and set up my tent, then put my stuff in my tent and stay inside for the night, only coming out for the facilities,to hang my food, and other night tasks that would require my attention. I sleep a lot better.

Kirby

scope
02-05-2008, 18:48
That is a Saturday this year.

Kirby

Why yes it is. Considering Woods Hole, Whitley Gap or Tray Mt which leads me to this question:

For those to be full, we'd be talking about folks starting from Springer during the week of March 10th, AFTER the weekend horde would be past the shelters, right? Or are there still that many starting during the week?

Footslogger
02-05-2008, 18:50
Why yes it is. Considering Woods Hole, Whitley Gap or Tray Mt which leads me to this question:

For those to be full, we'd be talking about folks starting from Springer during the week of March 10th, AFTER the weekend horde would be past the shelters, right? Or are there still that many starting during the week?

=====================================

Well ...of the 3 you mentioned, Woods Hole and Whitley Gap tend to get a tad less traffic only because they set a fair distance off the trail. Whitley Gap in fact is about a half mile DOWN HILL, which means you have to climb back out in the morning.

'Slogger

rafe
02-05-2008, 19:04
I'll put my stuff in the shelter and set up my tent, then put my stuff in my tent and stay inside for the night, only coming out for the facilities,to hang my food, and other night tasks that would require my attention. I sleep a lot better.

I was thinking more in terms of mid-day breaks in foul weather. You don't think you'd be tempted to socialize with the folks in the shelter? All evening and all night in the tent alone? :-?

scope
02-05-2008, 19:12
=====================================

Well ...of the 3 you mentioned, Woods Hole and Whitley Gap tend to get a tad less traffic only because they set a fair distance off the trail. Whitley Gap in fact is about a half mile DOWN HILL, which means you have to climb back out in the morning.

'Slogger

Whitley - yes, I've considered that might be the best choice for less traffic. If I go, I will make sure to drink everything that I've taken down there with me - :D - so I don't have to bring it back up!

Woods - for me, I'd rather do the little jaunt to this shelter than some of the other shelters that never get mentioned for being off the trail a bit - like Deep Gap shelter after Kelly Knob, or Plumorchard.

max patch
02-05-2008, 19:21
If you want to plan a night in a shelter in March then Whitley Gap is the one you want to consider.

Whitley Gap is the only shelter in GA that I'd consider to be "off" the trail. The others are just a bit longer stroll down the blue blazes to get to.

BTW, I stayed at Whitley on my thru. Had it all to myself. Until dawn. Thats when the war games started.

Kirby
02-05-2008, 19:24
I was thinking more in terms of mid-day breaks in foul weather. You don't think you'd be tempted to socialize with the folks in the shelter? All evening and all night in the tent alone? :-?

Are you asking me would I talk to the hikers in the shelter after my tent is set up for the night and it's not time to go to sleep yet? I would think so, I don't want to become the isolationist thru hiker.

Kirby

jesse
02-05-2008, 19:28
Two years ago I stayed at Whitley gap shelter in Mid March. There were no thru hikers there, but there were many sectioners. There would not have been enough room for everyone in the shelter. Most stayed in tents. Don't even think about going out without a tent. You can not rely on having shelter space.

Cherokee Bill
02-05-2008, 19:44
Shortly after "Trail Days" it was nothing to see 16+ in shelters along the Blue Ridge Parkway (VA) between Roanoke & the James River crossing. I was section-hiking and saw this myself. :banana

rafe
02-05-2008, 20:07
Are you asking me would I talk to the hikers in the shelter after my tent is set up for the night and it's not time to go to sleep yet? I would think so, I don't want to become the isolationist thru hiker.

You referred to shelters as "useless." So you wouldn't take refuge in one, say, for a mid-day break in inclement weather... ever? And if they're places where good folks congregate -- folks you might enjoy talking to --- hard to call 'em useless, no? ;)

Kirby
02-05-2008, 20:14
You referred to shelters as "useless." So you wouldn't take refuge in one, say, for a mid-day break in inclement weather... ever? And if they're places where good folks congregate -- folks you might enjoy talking to --- hard to call 'em useless, no? ;)

They are useless in the sense they should have never been built, but it is where hikers tend to congregate, so I will talk to them where they are, and tent in the area or down the trail.

And you proved your point, I would use it as a lunch/snack spot if I needed a dry place to eat. But on clear days I will try to find a nice ridge when possible and sit on a rock.

Kirby

Footslogger
02-05-2008, 20:16

Kirby

=================================

I know from your earlier comments that you don't plan in advance to stay in shelters - but I'd be willing to bet you that if it rains hard enough, long enough and for weeks on end you will find the shelters an acceptable alternative to setting up a tent every night for 6 months.

Just say'n ...been there, done that, got the T-shirt !

'Slogger

rafe
02-05-2008, 20:42
They are useless in the sense they should have never been built...

I might accept a comment like that from Warren Doyle or Weary, but coming from you, grasshopper, it's just kinda silly and pretentious. ;)

Kirby
02-05-2008, 20:44
I might accept a comment like that from Warren Doyle or Weary, but coming from you, grasshopper, it's just kinda silly and pretentious. ;)

You only need one experience with them to realize this, IMO.

Kirby