PDA

View Full Version : When does the rush of Thru Hikers thin out in GA?

Lyle
02-05-2008, 19:34
Planning a May 3rd start for my spring section hike. Decided to do the southern end this time. My plan is to drive to Fontana, leave my vehicle and hire a shuttle to Springer. Already have a couple of possibilities for the shuttle, both charging the same amount. Plan to hike the approach trail.

1) About how many thru's are still starting at the beginning of May? Is the major bubble over, or will this still be in the thick of it?

2) Does 14 of 15 days seem reasonable to make it back to Fontana and still be able to smell some flowers? Done a lot of hiking, but never down in GA and NC.

Jack Tarlin
02-05-2008, 19:42
The vast majority of Northbound thrus leave Springer by 15 April. By early May, things will have definitely thinned out, to the point that you'll certainly have the choice of staying in a shelter most of the time if you want.

14 or 15 days to Fontana is certainly doable if you're a strong hiker, and don't take too much time off in towns. However 17-18 days is typical for most folks.

bigmac_in
02-05-2008, 19:55
I've hiked a bit of that section in May and saw zero thru-hikers. Several section hikers, however - especially on the weekend. There should be space in the shelters, but I'm not sure why you would want to sleep in one. Just my opinion.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-05-2008, 20:06
..... Fontana and still be able to smell some flowers? Done a lot of hiking, but never down in GA and NC.http://easttennesseewildflowers.com/Summer_Flowers.php

Almost There
02-05-2008, 20:21
One hike I did in early May I saw two young guys starting their thru hike, other than that only section hikers in May.

Bulldawg
02-05-2008, 20:31
I am planning on last weekend of April. I won't to deal with a throng of thru's will I? No disrespect to those folks, just don't want to feel like I'm hiking in downtown Atlanta if ya know what I mean!

Almost There
02-05-2008, 21:08
Last weekend of April you should be ok.

fiddlehead
02-05-2008, 21:09
Started my '95 hike on May 5. It was fairly quiet. A few wannabee thru's struggling to do 4-6 mile days around here and there. A few who were camping in one place for a few days saying they weren't going to rush their hike.

Didn't really catch up to legitimate thru-hikers until the Smokies.
It's a great time to start. You get the flowers, leaves just starting to come in, warm weather, and the trail to yourself. Have fun!

Bulldawg
02-05-2008, 21:10
Started my '95 hike on May 5. It was fairly quiet. A few wannabee thru's struggling to do 4-6 mile days around here and there. A few who were camping in one place for a few days saying they weren't going to rush their hike.

Didn't really catch up to legitimate thru-hikers until the Smokies.
It's a great time to start. You get the flowers, leaves just starting to come in, warm weather, and the trail to yourself. Have fun!

Mmmm warm weather!

Max Power
02-05-2008, 21:34
April 20 - 24 is Fontana's Spring Wildflower hike week. I'd try to make it there by then since it is the peak season and many people will be around who can tell you all about the ephemerals.

map man
02-06-2008, 01:17
About 75% of NOBO thru-hiker aspirants leave Springer in the forty day window from the last couple of days in February through the first week in April. In the last week of April and first week of May there should not be crowds of thru-hikers, at least if the past few years are any indication.

Lyle
02-06-2008, 01:53
In case anyone wasn't sure of this already, WhiteBlaze and the hiking community are fantastic. Within about 15 or 20 minutes of posting my original message, I got a PM with an offer for a ride from Fontana to Springer on the same day I was hoping to go - another hiker planning the same start date - No Charge (I'll help with gas). This is the second time a ride has fallen into my lap as a result of mentioning an up-coming section hike on WhiteBlaze.

Also, thanks to all who have responded, based on Jacks comment, I will make sure I have an extra day or two at the end. If I finish early, I figure I could always stop at Trail Days on my way home.

FD, that's a good link, will have to study up on it for a bit. Thanks.

I don't mind Thru-hikers, some are even quite tolerable folks :-), but I'm glad I won't be in the thick of it.

sheepdog
02-06-2008, 18:41
Lyle,
I will be hiking Fontana south starting May 1st. Hope to see you on the trail.
Sheepdog

Jack Tarlin
02-06-2008, 18:42
Have a great trip, Lyle! Find me at Trail Days and lemme know how it turned out.

paradoxb3
02-06-2008, 22:56
i'm actually planning the same thing, with one major exception... i want to section hike springer to hiawassee DURING the time thru-hikers are starting out. last year on the week after thanksgiving i made an attempt at doing so, but a friend that was supposed to go with me backed out last minute and i ended up going alone. i'm a social person and really looked forward to having someone with me, and got VERY bored/lonely by day 3 of solitude. i spent the 3rd night at the neels gap hostel, watched some tv with Pirate, and called a ride home the next morning.

there were actually several things that played a part in me leaving trail there instead of hiawassee. the weather was terrible for 2 of the 3 days, no blistering, but my toenail got ingrown and then infected by day 3 (i've gotta have the nailbed removal surgery done on my left food the same as i had done on my right years ago, as this happens OFTEN), and i also realized that i would probably get to hiawassee on saturday or sunday, right before having to go back to work on monday.

all that being said, if i'd had a little company, i probably still would have pushed on and dealt with it.