PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for pack for 6 year old.

Bulldawg
02-05-2008, 20:57
My son's birthday is coming up next month. He so adores my Vapor Trail. He looks so cute trying to wear it. He also loves to hike with dad. He has asked repeatedly for a "pack like dad's" for his birthday.

Any suggestions? I know finding one for him with a waist belt will be darned near impossible. Anything out there or anything you guys suggest that looks cool and is functional as well?

Pennsylvania Rose
02-05-2008, 21:01
Tough Traveler makes a great internal frame pack that has survived two of my kids so far. REI has an external frame pack for kids that's good, too. Of course, you could always make him a little pack.

Bulldawg
02-05-2008, 21:02
Tough Traveler makes a great internal frame pack that has survived two of my kids so far. REI has an external frame pack for kids that's good, too. Of course, you could always make him a little pack.

Got a link or should I simply google it?

orangebug
02-05-2008, 21:18
Many book bags have a small waist belt, but I'd be surprised if you find that in a 6 yo's size. I prefer for kids below 12 to simply carry a favorite pillow/doll/toy and maybe some sort of candy food for themselves. Keep if very light and little so it stays fun.

The biggest problem I've had with a 4-5 yo is boredom while walking. Expect lots of storytelling and singing to avoid whining.

Appalachian Tater
02-05-2008, 21:33
http://www.ebags.com/kids_baby/kids_backpacks/category_search/index.cfm?N=20010574

ebags even has hydration packs for children. Here's a 13 oz. Kelty:

http://www.ebags.com/kelty_k_i_d_s/tc_0_5/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=105773

Bulldawg
02-05-2008, 21:38
Many book bags have a small waist belt, but I'd be surprised if you find that in a 6 yo's size. I prefer for kids below 12 to simply carry a favorite pillow/doll/toy and maybe some sort of candy food for themselves. Keep if very light and little so it stays fun.

The biggest problem I've had with a 4-5 yo is boredom while walking. Expect lots of storytelling and singing to avoid whining.

He's been hiking for 2 years. He does up to 5 mile hikes. He carries his snacks, his extra clothes, and his water. The only complaining I ever get is when on a real hard climb, but he almost always forgets it when we get to the top.

Bulldawg
02-05-2008, 21:44
I'm leaning towards this one maybe.

http://www.ebags.com/mountainsmith/off_piste_25/product_detail/index.cfm?modelID=71853

Might be a little big now, but he grow is growing like a darned weed. I am gonna go measure him.

Thanks for the links Tater.

Appalachian Tater
02-05-2008, 21:49
I would be as worried about the weight. That sucker weighs almost 4 pounds.

Bulldawg
02-05-2008, 21:50
OK, I just measured him. He is 4 feet tall and his torso length is just shy of 17 inches.

I noticed the weight too. Thats twice as much as my vapor trail.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-05-2008, 21:56
Deuter Fox 30 fits torso length 10 to 17 (http://www.deuterusa.com/products/productDetail.php?packID=fox30&sub=family&tert=family). Sarbar's son has used one for years. Ask her about it.

Whoa - saw the size of this 6 yo - try a woman's pack - many small sizes will fit 16 - 18 torso.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-05-2008, 22:02
John, a small Vapor Trail fits torso 15 to 18 per their web site

Bulldawg
02-05-2008, 22:07
Thanks, I will do that. He is a pretty good size boy. Only wish I could do what he does....eat like a horse and stay skinny as a rail!!

Bulldawg
02-05-2008, 22:08
John, a small Vapor Trail fits torso 15 to 18 per their web site

Yeah, me and him were just sitting here looking at $100 packs and mom says "I don't think so!":D

general
02-05-2008, 22:09
coleman peak 1, great for kids and enexpensive as well

tacode
02-05-2008, 22:30
rei comet:

http://www.rei.com/product/733276?vcat=REI_SEARCH

My 7 year old has one and loves it. It weighs 2lbs, 8oz. Without spending a lot more, I haven't seen many that are lightweight that aren't a simple daypack. He carries his sleeping bag, pad, snacks and glucose meter.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-05-2008, 22:45
http://www.rei.com/REI-Outlet/product/765199
http://www.rei.com/REI-Outlet/product/756107
http://www.rei.com/REI-Outlet/product/757354

Bulldawg
02-05-2008, 22:52
Thanks folks, my daughter has the Equinox. She is almost 8.

Bulldawg
02-05-2008, 23:20
Thanks for the links folks. I am leaning towards the Redtail. I have a Kelty Mica I use for a laptop bag during the week and a short day hike bag on the weekend. Anytime you can get a deal on a Kelty bag is a good bag.

But I have another question. I like to make the most of my shipping dollar when buying online. I need some midweight thermals. Hey that brings another question. In very cold weather, am I better off with two sets of midweights or one set of heavyweights?

Anyway, the womens midweights are much cheaper than the mens. Is there anything different other than the sizings? I mean, I don't care, their underwear. If I can save $20, get the same thermals, who cares whether they are mens or womens??

Thoughts??

Bulldawg
02-05-2008, 23:22
daggum, XL just says women's size 16-18. How do I know if that fits me??

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-05-2008, 23:25
Women's are cut a bit bigger in the seat and smaller in the waist - and they don't have the extra space in the crotch area often found in men's underwear. He-Dino and I are close to the same size and he can wear mine without any problem.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-05-2008, 23:31
A women's 16-18 will fit a man who wears a large shirt or size 36 - 38 pants.

Bulldawg
02-05-2008, 23:31
well, believe it or not, the bottoms are cheaper on the mens and the tops are cheaper on the womens stuff. Weird for sure.

Bulldawg
02-05-2008, 23:32
A women's 16-18 will fit a man who wears a large shirt or size 36 - 38 pants.

Hmm, maybe I ought to pass then. I require a XL. But, thermals need to fit tight right?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-05-2008, 23:34
Hmm, maybe I ought to pass then. I require a XL. But, thermals need to fit tight right?You'll need an XXL ladies

Bulldawg
02-06-2008, 00:13
I bought the Kelty Redtail. Didn't even buy any long johns. I have a set of Terramar mid weights. I think I am going to supplement those with some Wal Mart poly long johns.

Skidsteer
02-06-2008, 00:20
Thanks for the links folks. I am leaning towards the Redtail. I have a Kelty Mica I use for a laptop bag during the week and a short day hike bag on the weekend. Anytime you can get a deal on a Kelty bag is a good bag.

But I have another question. I like to make the most of my shipping dollar when buying online. I need some midweight thermals. Hey that brings another question. In very cold weather, am I better off with two sets of midweights or one set of heavyweights?

Anyway, the womens midweights are much cheaper than the mens. Is there anything different other than the sizings? I mean, I don't care, their underwear. If I can save $20, get the same thermals, who cares whether they are mens or womens??

Thoughts??

See if you can find the Indera merino/poly blends in the hunting section of Wal-Mart. They've even got silver ion impregnated for stench control.

Very warm. Around $14-15 for tops or bottoms.

Cornelia probably doesn't have them but Gainesville and Buford might.

Bulldawg
02-06-2008, 00:22
See if you can find the Indera merino/poly blends in the hunting section of Wal-Mart. They've even got silver ion impregnated for stench control.

God who can stand going in that WalMart in Gainesville? I work what I call around the horn. Slack Auto Parts man, network administrator. So, I go to all the stores.....Oakwood, Dawsonville, Dahlonega, Cleveland, Cornelia, and Commerce. I betcha Oakwood, Dawsonville, and the Dahlonega Wally World have these things. Indera is the brand name?

Bulldawg
02-06-2008, 00:23

I gotta send this thread to my blackberry. I'll never remember the name of them!!

Skidsteer
02-06-2008, 00:29
Yep. Indera.

Easy to find at the beginning of hunting season. You might have to hunt for them this time of year.

Make sure you read the labels and get the merino/poly blend. They also sell cotton thermals which you don't want.

Bulldawg
02-06-2008, 00:31
Yep. Indera.

Easy to find at the beginning of hunting season. You might have to hunt for them this time of year.

Make sure you read the labels and get the merino/poly blend. They also sell cotton thermals which you don't want.

I found the INDERA website for the company. I assume these ( http://www.inderamills.com/products/975/975.htm ) are the ones you are talking about.

jesse
02-06-2008, 00:31
Imho 6yo is too young to be carrying a pack. They just haven't developed their bones, and muscles enough. I took my grandson(5) out last summer for an overnighter in the Cohutta. My son and I carried all his stuff.

Skidsteer
02-06-2008, 00:33
I found the INDERA website for the company. I assume these ( http://www.inderamills.com/products/975/975.htm ) are the ones you are talking about.

That's the stuff.

Bulldawg
02-06-2008, 00:33
Imho 6yo is too young to be carrying a pack. They just haven't developed their bones, and muscles enough. I took my grandson(5) out last summer for an overnighter in the Cohutta. My son and I carried all his stuff.

The kid wants to carry some stuff. He might be carrying 5 pounds. IMHO it would scar him worse not letting him "participate" than letting him carry it.

My daughter does a couple of 6+ milers a year with me carrying about 6 to 7 pounds with ZERO complaints.

Bulldawg
02-06-2008, 00:35
That's the stuff.

Now lets find it, you go that way, I'll go that way!!!

Definately not on Wal Mart's website. I'll try G'ville tomorrow. I'll be in all the other stores over the weekend. Big software/hardware change out over the weekend.

Bulldawg
02-06-2008, 00:36
That's the stuff.

I just want something to sleep in on our hike on the CBT. I don't want to freeze to death. I'd hate for you guys to have to carry me out on the counter clockwise hike.

Skidsteer
02-06-2008, 00:53
I just want something to sleep in on our hike on the CBT. I don't want to freeze to death. I'd hate for you guys to have to carry me out on the counter clockwise hike.

It'll be alright. If Dances makes it you can juggle fire with him for a few minutes. You'll warm right up.

Sleepy the Arab
02-06-2008, 01:50
Suggestions for a pack for a six year old?

Hmm. 4800 cu. inches would be large enough to hide a small child in. Gregory makes some fairly spacious ones.

Wait, what was the question?

weary
02-06-2008, 02:21
My three kids were all backpacking by age 5 -- the youngest by age 3.

All carried packs, usually just a home made, very light weight summer sleeping bag and a favorite tee shirt. In the beginning they carried just small day packs (what are now book bags.) Later on adjustable Keltys, designed for kids 8-13.

One thing I never did was to carry the kids. I would boost the 3-year-old over rocks, and limited hikes to 3 miles or so a day. But I wanted them to be part of the expedition -- not just kids doing what a parent wanted.

By the time the youngest was six, we began section hiking the AT in Maine, in weekend and vacation trips. The key is to let the youngest set the pace, which makes for slow walking. We carried a tent, but we mostly walked from shelter to shelter. I found kids like to interact with others at shelters -- and most importantly don't like to pass a stopping place.

Sorry. I have no solution for an adult styled pack that would serve a six-year-old. I would look for a book bag that is as different as possible from the bag they use for school. I would want to minimize any obvious school connection.

It was all fun. The kids looked forward to our walks. But it wasn't "ultra light" for me, at least in the beginning years. I tended to carry 50-60 pound packs.

Weary

mudhead
02-06-2008, 06:22
daggum, XL just says women's size 16-18. How do I know if that fits me??

I have some fleece pants, Women's L = Men's M. Slight difference in cut from waist to thigh. Shop well, but I would try to save on the gender specific if they offer it.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-06-2008, 08:47
For reasonably priced base layers, don't forget our own Fiddlehead's company - Warmstuff Distributing (formerly the underwear guys) (http://www.theunderwearguys.com/). Can't say enough about the quality, customer service and fast shipping.

Hooch
02-06-2008, 09:16
Imho 6yo is too young to be carrying a pack. They just haven't developed their bones, and muscles enough. I took my grandson(5) out last summer for an overnighter in the Cohutta. My son and I carried all his stuff.Gonna have to respectfully disagree with you on this one, at partially anyway. A 6 year old is still deveoping, true enough, but part of that development is not just physical, it's socially and psychologically as well. Part of that social development is wanting to be a part of things, do things for themself and, as others have put it, "be like dad, grandpa, etc". My son is 6 and has been car campig with me since he was 4. This year he is going on his first backpacking drip. I'm getting him the Deuter Fox 30 just to carry his sleeping bag and a couple other small things. If a little one is able to hike some and they want to carry something, even a backpack like they carry to school with a few little things in it will make them feel important and like they are contributing to the effort. So a pack loaded with just a few pounds, around 5 or so, depending on what kiddo can handle, is perfect for them all around. JMHO. :D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-06-2008, 09:31
Re: kids with packs - keep the weight down to 10% or less of young kids body weight. They are still growing and have growth plates on their joints. Overloading them really isn't a good idea. Letting them carry a pack like Daddy's is worth the risk.

Rainman
02-06-2008, 10:00
rei comet:

http://www.rei.com/product/733276?vcat=REI_SEARCH

My 7 year old has one and loves it. It weighs 2lbs, 8oz. Without spending a lot more, I haven't seen many that are lightweight that aren't a simple day pack. He carries his sleeping bag, pad, snacks and glucose meter.

I would have gone with the comet.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15013

jrwiesz
02-06-2008, 10:28
Women's are cut a bit bigger in the seat and smaller in the waist - and they don't have the extra space in the crotch area often found in men's underwear. He-Dino and I are close to the same size and he can wear mine without any problem.

You two are such trend setting, "Swingers".:banana

Miss Janet
02-06-2008, 16:13
I used to have a fit when my girls schools backpacks weighed more than the thruhikers back packs... we compared them several times over the years. By the time your child is in the third grade you will notice how heavy his pack is every day. I complained and was told that there was NOTHING that the teachers could do about it.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/08/11/backtoschool/main772896.shtml

I always tried to get backpacks with good shoulder straps and hipbelts if possible. I think you can get a good very inexpensive school backpack and let your child carry under 10% of his body weight. Wait until he is older and hiking longer trips to invest in an expensive backpack.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-06-2008, 16:18
You two are such trend setting, "Swingers".:bananaYou should see him in my pink baselayer :D

NOT !!!

jesse
02-06-2008, 16:33
so what does a 6yo weigh? 30lbs 10% of 30 = 3 lbs. How much does his pack and sleeping bag and clothes, and snacks weigh?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-06-2008, 17:06
A skinny (as Dad says he is) four foot 6 yo probably weighs 35 to 40 lbs. This is why you carry most of a child's gear yourself.

Alligator
02-06-2008, 17:18
Four foot I'd say 45+ lbs. That's a tall 6 year old.

SteveJ
02-06-2008, 18:24
<clip> Sorry. I have no solution for an adult styled pack that would serve a six-year-old. I would look for a book bag that is as different as possible from the bag they use for school. I would want to minimize any obvious school connection. <clip>

<clip>I think you can get a good very inexpensive school backpack and let your child carry under 10% of his body weight. Wait until he is older and hiking longer trips to invest in an expensive backpack.

I have to agree with Weary, Miss Janet and others on this one.... A 3.5 lb backpack for a 6 year old is dramatic overkill - he shouldn't be carrying total weight much more than 3.5 or 4 lbs. Get a cheap, light bookbag, and let him carry his sleeping bag. Additionally, help him find a stick that he can use as a walking stick....

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9984&catid=member&imageuser=6309

He'll have a ball, and have lots of stories and good memories (be sure to bring a camera!).....

mudhead
02-06-2008, 18:55
I bought the Kelty Redtail. Didn't even buy any long johns. I have a set of Terramar mid weights. I think I am going to supplement those with some Wal Mart poly long johns.

Target has poly also.

I saw a Dad once. Daughter had a large pack, for the size of her. I pointed at it, he smiled. All that was in there was her sleeping bag, loose. Made her feel cool to her brother. Dad was clever. Made me smile.

desdemona
02-08-2008, 01:03
I'd get a really cool bookbag type with lots of mesh pockets and so on. I forget the weight they are supposed to carry but I agree they can carry something. My day pack is a kid's bookbag (I think) from Walgreen's with mesh pockets for water, a cell phone pocket and so on.It has high practicality as well.

Another idea is a kid's Camelback. It would encourage him to drink water while hiking, since it has such a high coolness factor.
http://www.camelback.com

--des

Blue Wolf
02-08-2008, 02:05
Talon 22 maybe? Osprey?

desdemona
02-08-2008, 10:31
I used to have a fit when my girls schools backpacks weighed more than the thruhikers back packs... we compared ....I always tried to get backpacks with good shoulder straps and hipbelts if possible. I think you can get a good very inexpensive school backpack and let your child carry under 10% of his body weight. Wait until he is older and hiking longer trips to invest in an expensive backpack.

I do agree the weight kids carry to school is just crazy! Some of my high school kids are still carrying way way too much. They are going to have permanent injuries, some of them.

Stores like ebags online, or Walgreens, Sportsmart, REi might have some good cheaper options. I don't believe you should be spending $85-100 on a little kids backpack. OK, it's your money, do with it what you want. It will help the economy! :) But I think they will get too big for it and also the kid just doesn't need it.

--des