PDA

View Full Version : the leaves in NH and ME in Aug/Sept

Cerridwen
02-05-2008, 21:26
Can I expect to see some fall colors as early as August and September in NH and ME? Please, please say yes.

Lone Wolf
02-05-2008, 21:27
late september

Kirby
02-05-2008, 21:30
For the Maine mountains, late September into early October is a perfect time for foliage.

And Maine is a perfect state to see it in.

Kirby

illusionistG
02-05-2008, 22:16
Sept. in NH is (IMHO) the best month of the year for that state. Days are usually warm and clear with nights cool and mild. Plus the air is usually really clear (any haze & humidity are gone) Late Sept. is when you'll see the leaves in the beginning stages of coloring in the northern Presidential -Gorham area. One plus for NH in Sept.....after labor day weekend the trails, huts, and shelters open up with only the weekends to worry about. Best of luck !!!

Tin Man
02-05-2008, 22:27
Fall foliage schedule varies from year to year. This year NH, and much of New England, was a little later than previous years with the peak in early to mid October in many areas versus late September. This year I section hiked in early October in the Kinsman's area and foliage was definitely later than previous year.

This is a very good website for tracking past foliage reports and tracking foliage progress during the season...

www.foliagenetwork.com (http://www.foliagenetwork.com)

V8
02-05-2008, 22:38
Sure, you get occasional really bright red or orange patches as early as late August, especially with maples in swampy areas. But they will only be small patches. Might do it for you, though.

Pokey2006
02-05-2008, 22:50
Early to mid-September, look for patches of color near swamps/ponds. It won't be peak color, but it might give you a taste. Though remember, some years are better than others.

Kerosene
02-05-2008, 22:52
I concur: Late September/Early October should allow you to walk through some of the peak colors. I love hiking in the Fall! I'm considering the Pinkham Notch to Rangeley section in late September.

Tin Man
02-05-2008, 22:57
We went NOBO up South Kinsman on Columbus Day weekend. We were looking forward to viewing the foliage from the top. We saw one red tree and the rest was green....all pine.

dessertrat
02-05-2008, 23:41
Can I expect to see some fall colors as early as August and September in NH and ME? Please, please say yes.

Usually late September. Last year it was not as early as I thought-- October was more like it.

walkin' wally
02-06-2008, 20:55

If one looks around here and there along the Rt 15 ledges north of Monson where the AT crosses there will be a few colored leaves beginning the last of July. It is a short summer season up there.

In the 100 mile wilderness the will be a lot of bare trees by the beginning of October. Red Maples mostly. Especially if we get heavy wind and rain.