PDA

View Full Version : Portable Journals

Stir Fry
02-06-2008, 04:37
Im trying to find a small eloctronic journal, that I can type my entrys into. My hand writing is realy bad and some times I do not know what i wrote two weeks later. I'v looked at 13 in lap top, and it may work. jusy wondering if there is any thing smaller.

Survivor Dave
02-06-2008, 05:27
I use PocketMail. They are out of stock for the units, but there are folks here on WB that are selling them cheap!

www.pocketmail.com (http://www.pocketmail.com)

The weight is 8.2 oz. with batteries.

Im trying to find a small eloctronic journal, that I can type my entrys into. My hand writing is realy bad and some times I do not know what i wrote two weeks later. I'v looked at 13 in lap top, and it may work. jusy wondering if there is any thing smaller.

Marta
02-06-2008, 07:56
The device Stumpknocker is using for his Trailjournal. It has it all over the Blackberry. I forget what it's called...

I used a PocketMail in '06, but when I tried to reactivate the service last summer, I spent two weeks, multiple phone calls (on hold, then disconnected) and emails, trying to call PocketMail Customer Service. I never reached them. I have to say that I would not recommend dealing with them at this point.

hammock engineer
02-06-2008, 13:38
I used the pocketmail with good results.

On my next hike I am going to use a cell phone like Stumpknocker. The new bluetooth cell phones also have Microsoft OS on them and can compose documents in Word or emails. Maybe then my spelling will be a little better.

You can also buy a portable bluetooth keyboard that weighs in at 2.5oz and takes AAA batteries. It is made on a cloth material and rolls up for storage. No more typing for 45 minutes with my thumbs.

That will take weight out since instead of carrying a pocketmail and cell phone, I will be carrying a cell phone and keyboard saving close to 6oz.

JERMM
02-06-2008, 15:07
so what exactly is this device that Stumpknocker is carrying?

jlb2012
02-06-2008, 15:59
per http://trailjournals.com/gear.cfm?trailname=6589 its an "enV by LG"

Red Hat
02-06-2008, 19:07
so what exactly is this device that Stumpknocker is carrying?

It is the LG ENV 9900 by Verizon. You can pick one up for $59 on amazon now (including the $99 rebate) but you have to purchase the plan and that can get expensive. It really does look neat and combines the functions of a pocketmail, camera, cellphone, and even MP3.

I am looking at it and the similar AT&T TILT. The problem is I don't know how much I'd use it after my hike and it's pretty expensive monthly if I'm not using it.... also, even though the keyboard is lots better than a Blackberry, it's lots smaller than a pocketmail. That's both good and bad....