PDA

View Full Version : Leave no Trace tent pegs

Newb
02-06-2008, 09:03
There's an article out about how the farmer who hosts the Glastonbury festival on his land is going to require all the campers there to use bio-degradable tent stakes. This is because all the abandoned metal stakes mess with his cows.

This might be the next step in "leave no trace" camping. Why shouldn't the hiking community embrace these:

Biodegradable TENT STAKES (http://www2.dupont.com/Garden_Products/en_US/products/stakes.html)

GGS2
02-06-2008, 09:23
There's an article out about how the farmer who hosts the Glastonbury festival on his land is going to require all the campers there to use bio-degradable tent stakes. This is because all the abandoned metal stakes mess with his cows.

This might be the next step in "leave no trace" camping. Why shouldn't the hiking community embrace these:

Biodegradable TENT STAKES (http://www2.dupont.com/Garden_Products/en_US/products/stakes.html)

Better living through chemistry?

Newb
02-06-2008, 09:29

Chemicals are your friend. Please ignore the stuff we're burying in your back yard.

superman
02-06-2008, 09:47

Yup, the agent orange cancelled out the DDT. I'm ok but my kids have that odd looking third head.

maxNcathy
02-06-2008, 10:05
Very olde cows woulds love them.

jrwiesz
02-06-2008, 10:13

Dupont, Dow, etc. kind of ironic. They think everything is biodegradable!:eek:

Just dump it in the watershed, it'll eventually go away.:rolleyes:

Chemical giants, most likely the hugest environmental polluters out there!:mad:

In the farmers field, try field stones for tent/tarp anchors. Much more earth friendly.:sun

Pedaling Fool
02-06-2008, 10:28
Why are people leaving so many tent stakes? Another example of science fixing problems caused by the mass of mindless idiots.

Lone Wolf
02-06-2008, 10:45

frig that. i'd switch to a hammock

superman
02-06-2008, 10:49
Why are people leaving so many tent stakes? Another example of science fixing problems caused by the mass of mindless idiots.

I find pegs left behind by other people almost every time I go hiking. They almost always are the heavy cheap kind. I'm a cheap guy who uses expensive stakes so I am careful not to leave any behind.

oops56
02-06-2008, 11:24
I think most people pull straight up not at the angle there in. Also if you make a hook out of wire that hook under the steak then pull not using the tent ties hold down

jrwiesz
02-06-2008, 11:31

Build more shelters!

atmooney
02-06-2008, 11:35
Amen! If you never reused your tent pegs, how many would you have to carry?

NICKTHEGREEK
02-06-2008, 11:38
Use those leftover candy canes from Christmas

Peaks
02-06-2008, 17:00
I always thought that wood is biodegradable.

scavenger
02-06-2008, 17:22
***** dupont. sticks work.

Dogwood
02-06-2008, 17:22
One of the more interesting, humorous, and thought provoking threads. Maybe if the cows eat the metal stakes their milk and meat will be higher in iron and I can do away with one more vitamin I have to take in the morning! However, I still haven't figured out what we're going to tell the person who hears a distinct metalic "clink" when his steak knife grinds into a tent stake when he slices into that A1 slathered Black Angus.

Miss Janet
02-06-2008, 17:26

LW with his hammock strung between two unhappy looking cows!

Nightwalker
02-07-2008, 20:30

Having inadvertently followed your postings, that's pretty funny. :)

(Of course, he ignores me unless I piss him off.)

aaroniguana
02-07-2008, 20:37
I camp at the Pennsic War in Pennsylvania every summer. We have a 16' yurt that we live in. I cut my foot on a metal stake I missed the previous year. Might have been someone else's but I doubt it. Who else has 24" stakes made of 1/2" rebar?

mudhead
02-07-2008, 20:45
Now imagine farmer brown and his mowing machine.

AT-HITMAN2005
02-07-2008, 21:52
those don't look like they would help too much on holding tents down.

Montego
02-07-2008, 21:58

I could see using those, but.................can 'ya eat them too? :D

Bob S
02-07-2008, 22:31
Wood works.