PDA

View Full Version : Work v. Hike

naturejunkie
02-06-2008, 09:59
Anyone else nervous about leaving their job to hike during what appears to be an economic downturn? Normally, I am very confident in my ability to find good work. But, I admit I am feeling a bit uneasy about leaving a good job at this point. Perhaps I will be granted a leave of absence, but I am not counting on it. Just curious how others are feeling.

pittmad
02-06-2008, 10:09
my business is directly tied to the mortgage industry, so I couldn't have planned a better year for a thru-hike. i'm actually very excited about leaving the industry, completing my first thru, and starting fresh when I get back. There are always going to be jobs out there, but you won't always have the oppotunity to get on the trail.

sure i'm semi-anxious about it, but i think it's more excitement than anything else!

Smile
02-06-2008, 10:13
one can feel this way, even without the current economy. What a great time to step away from the stress of life and get out there and just do it!

I hope you have an awesome hike! :)

rafe
02-06-2008, 10:19
This situation applied to me in 1990. Took me 3-4 months to find a new gig.

BugGirl
02-06-2008, 10:25
We're right with you! BUT it's the best time in our life to do it. No house, no babies, now's the time! I am quitting my job, and my partner has the possibility of a leave of absence...maybe. Gotta seize the moment and just do it. Money isn't everything!

ZEKE #2
02-06-2008, 10:31
I worked out a LOA with my employer, but I wanted to hike the AT so bad that I was willing to come back and look if we were not able to work out an agreement.

It will be great to leave without worry and come back to an income.

Ender
02-06-2008, 10:58
It took me almost 10 months to find a new job after my '03 PCT hike. Worked at a kayak shop to keep some money rolling in while I was looking, but that barely paid the bills.

It's a risk, and it sucked not getting a job right away, but it was worth it for me. For other people though I can't say.

earlyriser26
02-06-2008, 11:06
Like I always say, Thru hikers are either retired or unemployed. My choice is to wait, but if you are single or don't have kids, go for it. You may not get a second chance. You could start by taking vacation / leave of absence? Not to be negative, but if you decide to quit after a couple of weeks you can always go back.

superman
02-06-2008, 11:13
I was going to hike the AT in 68 when I came back from Vietnam but I got married to my ex instead. My responcibilities and money didn't allow me to hike until 2000. If I could live my life over I would have hiked the AT in 68 and in 2000.:-?

turtle fast
02-06-2008, 11:14
Hey...I just yesterday quit my job that I was in for over 10 years making big money and had a ton of vacation time to hike the trail....my advice is that the job market will still be strong...alot of the baby boomers will begin to retire soon and we (by the way I am the same age as you) will have to fill their shoes because our generation was much smaller that will open up more opportuinites. Also don't believe the crap that the analyists say about them staying longer in the job market....some will stay longer yes, but most want out to enjoy their retirement being active doing what they wanted to do travel, etc, etc,. I have already heard about retirement plans from many in this generation and they don't include working till they die. So just do it...take the leap of faith and live a little because we will be working when we get back hardet too...to fill the boomers place.

fiddlehead
02-06-2008, 11:18
If you let something like that stop you now, it'll just be something else later.

go for it while you can! who knows, you may just find out that you are a great travel writer or something and paul newman or somebody will make a movie out of one of your stories.
there's a whole new world about to open up for you.

hobojoe
02-06-2008, 13:12
I have done this every year for 4 years and It is always difficult to start from scratch. But it is always a renewing and trying experience. I started with nothing a couple of years, no car, no money, just found a place to crash and started looking for a job. Took me about a month to get an apartment. After the AT experience you will be able to live a very simple lifestyle and get by on very little. As long as you find shelter. you probably won't starve.
Leave no trail,
Hobo

ScottP
02-06-2008, 13:24
What HoboJoe said.

Cannibal
02-06-2008, 13:32
I spent a couple of weeks before and after sweating the decision to resign from a cushy job as an executive. In the end, I decided my mental well-being was more important to me than a job that I wasn't performing as well as I should have been due to my desire to hike. I may not get the job I want when I'm done hiking, but there will always be a job until I find what I'm looking for. I choose to not think about it until it's over.

stranger
02-09-2008, 20:35
Leave the job, there will always be another one. And the US economy isn't going to improve anytime in the near future, so waiting another couple of years won't make much of a difference.

You won't regret the days you spent hiking, but many regret not doing things they wanted to do becaue they were afraid to quit their job and go after something. If it's not one thing it's another...go after what you want, the capitalist pigs will always have another job for you.

10-K
02-09-2008, 20:41
My armchair opinion is that everything you are feeling is perfectly natural - and a sign that you have a brain. Always weigh your options and look at situations from different angles.

Thanks,
Thomas

turtle fast
02-09-2008, 20:44
Funny thing Cannibal.....my wife is an evil banker too about to soon give her notice....just as a dream job was being served up her way to hike the trail too.....we are giving up a lot BIG TIME to hike the trail but like you said your sanity is more important and if I have to eat ramen for the rest of my life to be happy......then so be it!!!! :)

warraghiyagey
02-09-2008, 20:44
We're right with you! BUT it's the best time in our life to do it. No house, no babies, now's the time! I am quitting my job, and my partner has the possibility of a leave of absence...maybe. Gotta seize the moment and just do it. Money isn't everything!
:):sun:sun:sun

rcli4
02-09-2008, 21:49
Anyone else nervous about leaving their job to hike during what appears to be an economic downturn? Normally, I am very confident in my ability to find good work. But, I admit I am feeling a bit uneasy about leaving a good job at this point. Perhaps I will be granted a leave of absence, but I am not counting on it. Just curious how others are feeling.

I am 53. I don't even remember what I was doing the year I was 35. I kow where I worked but not what I was doing. I'll bet ya if I had thru hiked that year I would remember it.

Clyde

Bearpaw
02-10-2008, 15:45
Took me 3 months to get into a new career back in '99. And I didn't stay with that one even though it paid well because I wanted to be back in the mountains. The AT helped me sort out the real priorities in my life, and I'm a lot happier for it.

wrongway_08
02-10-2008, 15:57
You can always find a excuse for not doing..... thats the easiest thing to do. I did that for the past couple of years.

Anyone can say they stayed at a good job and were to "wussie" to follow their dreams......... it takes a lot of courage to follow your dreams. The pay offs will be big and the stories you will have to tell from your journey - having a job, leaving your job, hiking the trail, finding a new job, getting your "real life" back in order - will be endless.

Go and enjoy your hike.

jnohs
02-10-2008, 17:29
if ever1 just kept on trucking like there was no problem there would be no recesion. Also if you do go hiking it is probably better for the econimie anyway. figure if u leave someone who really needs a job gets one and you r also out spending money. plus again when you r hiking recession would matter the least there any way. figure if you were to have gone hiking across america during the great depression. you would probably be the only person that the depression would have made no difference. And I willl allways belive there is a job out there for someone for sometime even if it is not your favorit job. but i think that is why it is called work and i do think that is why a lot of people choose to hike. at least i do. I am either going to hike the apploation trail in may or hike all the trails of the catskills. i am not sure witch one i am going to do yet. one thing i do now isthat there is no rent on the trail. i do plan on makeing a 100$ do0nation to witch ever i choose to hike.

d'shadow
02-23-2008, 14:44
recessions come and go....jobs come and go...having a baby changes everything...forever...if you want to go, well, DO IT NOW!
When I would ask my grandmother what I should do, she would look me directly in the eye and say, "No time like the present."
Go, adventure, have fun, experience life from a different point of view.

Nearly Normal
02-23-2008, 16:04
When you almost reach a retirement benifit, just quit.
You still have a morgage but it's almost paid off, just quit.
You have a wife and children still in colledge, just quit.
Just walk away from your obligations and quit to hike?
BS
Sounds like you don't have the investment or you are retired.
When I win the redneck retirement plan I'll quit, until then I'll section until I take care of my responsibilities.
Then I'll take I hike for as long as it pleases me.

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 16:06
Good plan for you. Others have a different path. For sure not lesser than the one you've chosen.

Wedge1173
02-23-2008, 16:29
Very happy to have found this thread. I have been having the same doubts. But having read what some others have said makes me need to do it even more.

It is time to go all in.

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 16:33
Very happy to have found this thread. I have been having the same doubts. But having read what some others have said makes me need to do it even more.

It is time to go all in.
Have a great hike.
Oh, and . . . :welcome:welcome

Nearly Normal
02-24-2008, 12:00
Good plan for you. Others have a different path. For sure not lesser than the one you've chosen.

...or more. Nor did I mean to imply that.
Whenever this question comes up the majority recommend f...it, go hiking.
It certainly is an addictive activity, and I'm a victom of it. For now I'll have to feed the need as best I can.

Rockhound
02-25-2008, 00:00
"we dont regret the things we do, we regret the things we dont do." mark twain

Jim Adams
02-25-2008, 00:10
the first time is difficult but you will get used to it and all the other times in the future will be easier!:)

geek

ScottP
02-25-2008, 03:28
In 2006 TINS thru hiked.

There Is No Someday

Blue Jay
02-25-2008, 09:17
Leave the job, there will always be another one. And the US economy isn't going to improve anytime in the near future, so waiting another couple of years won't make much of a difference.

You won't regret the days you spent hiking, but many regret not doing things they wanted to do becaue they were afraid to quit their job and go after something. If it's not one thing it's another...go after what you want, the capitalist pigs will always have another job for you.

Very very well said. All we truly own is time. Selling that time is sometimes required. Using that time to live is by far more important. Often people forget that life is worth more than money.

Nearly Normal
03-03-2008, 03:27
I consider for now short time hiking will have to do. My children need to finish there schooling first. Sometimes you have to put what you feel is important like long distance hiking on hold until you complete your responsibilities.